EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Reconstruction Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Reconstruction Period
spectrum
Member # 18122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spectrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true that during the Reconstruction period after the civil war,white philanthropists funded so called "negro" colleges in order to keep blacks under control?From what I understand,blacks were already doing well after slavery before the funding from whites came in.
Any input would be helpful.

Posts: 17 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bulk of the HBCUs were built using federal money which was part of a pre-reparation movement.

The relatively small percentage from white donations were due to the begging efforts of those assimilated Negroes such as Frederick Douglas, DuBois, Booker T. Washington, etc. These schools of indoctrination were extended to the remaining Native Americans as well.
Suggest you visit The Booker T. Washington library at Tuskegee where Mr. Washington's journals discuss this in more detail.

--------------------
Melanin King 4Shared Ebook and video depository;
http://www.4shared.com/u/vprmsqkz/1027fc89/melaninking.html

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem lays with the direction the blk communities should take one school of thought was should they focus on manufacturing and craft such as
carpentry and such..ie skilled laborer, basically blue collar type occupations and training (Booker T Washington) remember the industrial revolution was just taking off and the other school of thought was of higher learning ie liberal arts education.(W.E .B Dubois) now off-course they may have been strings attached to both from rich donors and I suspect the liberal arts crowd were more vulnerable because they were supposed to produce the community's leaders the talanted 10th I think Marcus Garvey tried to link with Booker T Washington but I think he may had passed away before he had the chance. and off-course he had a falling out with Dubois and most of the blk leadership but was tight with the common blk folks.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and people forget how Shadist these HBCU's once were, I.E the brown bag test. Sad the mentality back then at a time so crucial for black Americans.
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Sadder, the mentality today hasn't changed very much since then in blacks or whites.
Consider, Blacks haven't built any new colleges/Universities since back then.

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But are we using and making the most of the ones we do have?
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Of course not, since education (or what appears to be education) applied to a flawed and damaged mind results in something far less than ideal.
Education layered on top of 400 year old advanced Stockholm Syndrome can't possibly lead to anything remotely stable.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1896

Only Andy Warhol painted pictures on dirty canvases, and only one group purchases Andy Warhol and presents him up as some kind of sick genius.

Perhaps Clyde will speak more on the mind and learning, however for the last 2-3 decades Doctors. Julia Hare & Joy DeGruy have researched and presented their cases quite convincingly.

http://www.blackthinktank.com/

http://www.joydegruy.com/ptss/index.html

The Sambo Mentality and Stockholm Syndrome

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MelaninKing:
^ Sadder, the mentality today hasn't changed very much since then in blacks or whites.
Consider, Blacks haven't built any new colleges/Universities since back then.

The problem is that Education has become a Big Bis. and a Joke to the American people and this esp. rings true amoung blacks.

Just look at anytime a HBCU is mentioned its always about Stepping and Dancing or Parties. Blacks attitude to Higher learning is that of a Party, Sex and Step and Dance.

Then the Blacks who excel and do take Higher Learning serious go to Ivy League.

I was watching a program with Michelle Norris(Sp) of NPR presenting her new Book, and she made a great point, People always talk about the great things behind Intergration but they forget that during Segregation All the Educated blacks Lived and attended black schools, Hospitals, Colleges (plus other races like Asians according to my Mom not Norris were forced to teach at HBCU's not "White Universities"). Imagine if HBCU Engineering Programs had the Brightest Indian, Japanese, and black Engineers..or If Lawers, Doctors, Engineers etc. Still participated in Black Neighborhoods..??

Michelle Norris had a point, Integration did some harm and don't get me wrong Im not a Nationalist or Segregationist.

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
BTW, has anyone seem "Waiting for Superman"...I have'nt seen it yet, but it does deal with some Flaws in out Eduation system and I believe goes into detail about Minority Students.

We need to elect and President who is willing to change the American School System.

Here is my proposal.

1) Students go to school longer, about an hour maybe. Students get more challenging H.W and Teachers are on call until 9 P.M. to help students.

2) Students get a private Tutor if they can afford, and Students go to school every other Saturday.

3) STEM is introduced to certain Students while others are steered toward other carrers such as working class.

As contriversial as these seem this is Liberal compared to other Countries like China etc. So what do yall think??

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread had a good question. Nobody really dealt with the reconstruction period in replies went off topic to the present trying to sound smart. I may have to research this period more before blah blahing and put this thread back on it's original track.
Anyway there's an interesting battle going on in the Egypt section Wally thread called

Upper Egyptians; inarguably the purest descendants of Pharaonic Civilization.

peace

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
LOL, I can't see you contributing anything significant to the thread.

Prior to the establishment of HBCUs, the US government put in place a series of INDOCTRINATION schools for Native Americans and Slaves funded partially by the government and partially by the Catholic Church.

The purpose of these brain-washing institutions was to assimilate the small group of remaining Native Americans and the southern slave population. Usually, these schools took the children out of their homes and immediate environments at a young age, around 6-12. They were kept completely isolated from their family and friends during their time with these schools up to the age 18 when they were returned to their tribes or communities.

Testimony from parents and community members state the clear effects of brain washing on the returned youth, and how when returned, they were even worst overseers then their white counterparts.
Then it became easy to build HBCUs and populate them with teachers and administrators who completed the earlier Catholic Indoctrination centers. They eagerly did the work for their masters.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanin we aren't talking about prior to the establishment of HBCUs. You must be trying to contribute to a a different thread
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
The state of higher education in the USA today is dismal across the board. And yes education was/is a way to learn how best to serve the state..not so surprising given that's how it usually works in any society the real question is were the newly freed x slaves and conquered native Americans meant to be part of the society as full equals.

I think think the Booker T Washington/Marcus Garvey approach more-so Garvey was to have technicians to build the infrastructure of a state take a look at Black wall street Greenwood Tulsa Oklahoma.
http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pol&action=display&thread=293&page=2
Many people of that era believed that technicians were more need for an independent blk society within the United States or a United States of Africa as Marcus Garvey envisioned..this is where it got particularly ugly more on that soon.

MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
Melanin we aren't talking about prior to the establishment of HBCUs. You must be trying to contribute to a a different thread

Hush child.
So far, you haven't contributed anything on the subject, so again; What do you mean "We" paleface.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave the child be. She'll cry for a while until she gets tired and go to sleep.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
The state of higher education in the USA today is dismal across the board. And yes education was/is a way to learn how best to serve the state..not so surprising given that's how it usually works in any society the real question is were the newly freed x slaves and conquered native Americans meant to be part of the society as full equals.

I think think the Booker T Washington/Marcus Garvey approach more-so Garvey was to have technicians to build the infrastructure of a state take a look at Black wall street Greenwood Tulsa Oklahoma.
http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pol&action=display&thread=293&page=2
Many people of that era believed that technicians were more need for an independent blk society within the United States or a United States of Africa as Marcus Garvey envisioned..this is where it got particularly ugly more on that soon.

Brada
The Africans ALREADY possessed the skills required to build the state. In fact, they had already done so. The majority of agricultural developments in the country were developed by Africans.
Everything from breaking horses, to developing the countries first Rice field, to building the very plantation houses were built by slaves. Even the first smallpox inoculation was performed by a slave while free white were so ignorant, they accused them of practicing witchcraft.

The major goal of lower and higher education is assimilation and conformity which is why I refuse to send my kids to higher education right out of high school. I prefer they take a year or two to explore the world and learn who they are, exactly what they want, and be prepared to be able to distinguish fact from fiction.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
The state of higher education in the USA today is dismal across the board. And yes education was/is a way to learn how best to serve the state..not so surprising given that's how it usually works in any society the real question is were the newly freed x slaves and conquered native Americans meant to be part of the society as full equals. Yes, Americans I think are 34 compared to the Indutrialized Nations, this is why STEM..Science, Tech. Engineering and Math is becoming a big deal, they already are pushing it to my Generation in College its a matter of time before STEM becomes a vital part of Elementry and Secondary education.

The problem is that Blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans still lag behind in the current Education system, are we ready for STEM oreintated classes.

and Yes, Brada im sure alot has to do with the fact that Newly Freed Slaves and Natives were not meant to be part of the American Culture and were barred via segregation and reservations.

If African people came together and pooled our resources we could create plenty of "Black Wallsteets" but the sad reality is that blacks are too busy trying to but a house in the Hamptons rather than sticking with out own and building our own up. Then again some blacks have a tendancy to envy and steal rob and kill our more successful folks, so I don't blame them..Sad.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MelaninKing:
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

Brada
The Africans ALREADY possessed the skills required to build the state. In fact, they had already done so. The majority of agricultural developments in the country were developed by Africans.
Everything from breaking horses, to developing the countries first Rice field, to building the very plantation houses were built by slaves. Even the first smallpox inoculation was performed by a slave while free white were so ignorant, they accused them of practicing witchcraft.

The major goal of lower and higher education is assimilation and conformity which is why I refuse to send my kids to higher education right out of high school. I prefer they take a year or two to explore the world and learn who they are, exactly what they want, and be prepared to be able to distinguish fact from fiction.

Exactly, see the Eurocentric White Supremist Myth that the Slaves brought to Americas were Dumb unwanted savages is a myth. Our people were literate, highly educated, we knew about sailing, tilling the fields efficiently and the list goes on.

I remember in a thread that certain Carribean blacks set up the first "Universities" in the Americas due to the fact they were once Scholars from the African schools.

Our people knew what was up, in my opinion We were the driving force behind African Culture, look at Africa after WE were sold. The European knew this too which is why he forbade our folks Education and basic literacy(Even the Muslims allowed their slaves to be literate). I mean you don't want people who were once solving Complex Algebra Equations and Studying Logic and Reason and astronomy comtemplaing amoung each other in them Slave quaters. Esp. when the European himself was trowing Garbage in his streets and Sewage into his Drinking Supply, and bathing once a year..That's illogical

Also considering that the Europeans were largely Illiterate themselves, it was a matter of envy.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by spectrum:
Is it true that during the Reconstruction period after the civil war,white philanthropists funded so called "negro" colleges in order to keep blacks under control?From what I understand,blacks were already doing well after slavery before the funding from whites came in.
Any input would be helpful.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com