EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » RE: Architecture of Africa, Africa's Architectural cultural Legacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: Architecture of Africa, Africa's Architectural cultural Legacy
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name: kbhw-ntrw-The Step Pyramid Complex of Dojser

Architect: Imhotep for Djoser..

Style/Location: Egyptian

Materials: Limestone

Signifigance: Oldest Known Monumental Stone construction, First use of Freestanding Columns.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hausa Architecture from Nigeria..

-

-

-

-

-

-  -

Housa Bible and Koran

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
More from the Nile Valley.

5th Dynasty Sun Temples..

The Sun temple of Niuserre consisted of an upper temple, a processional ramp and valley temple. The upper temple was a enclosed space with a large obelisk constructed of stone blocks and set on a sloped base. The obelisk, as was the case of all obelisks in Egyptian monuments, symbolized the benben, the rock which received the first rays of the sun when the world was created.

Niuserre's temple has a large alabaster sacificial alter. Papyrus records recovered from other sun temples indicated that the sacrifices were ritually connected to the ceremonies the took place at the pharaoh's pyramid. The remains of the alter are seen in the initial photo on this page.

The bas reliefs from the upper Temple are displayed at the Berlin Archeological Museum.

Five of the Fifth Dynasty Pharaohs built Sun Temples. Here is a table of the Pharaohs of the Fifth Dynasty and the names of the known Sun Temples:

-

Toward the end of the Dynasty the cults of Ptah and Osirus began to intrude on the cult of Re, which may explain why this form of monumental building ceased. However, there is much to be said for the difficulty of mustering the funds for completing both a pyramid and a sun temple, especially if the reign was short or economic times were difficult.

-

-

-

-

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Swahili Style...

-

Swahili Architecture style is a combination of many different styles from all over the world. The Swahili developed trade networks in one of the most important trade routes in the world the Indian Sea Trade. The Culture of te Swahili is one of Intermarriage. The Local Bantu Africans developed Trade with Arabs, Persians, Indians, and eventually Europeans beginning with the Portugese and later the British. Due to the Diversity of cultures, intermarriage, and her important position in the Indian Sea Trade the Local Bantu's developed a unique style, known as Swahili.

-

Like anything in Africa that does not resemble a "Mud Hut" or that is built of Stone, Historians and ignorant unlearned racists past and present have tried to claim the Swahili Architecture and Culture as "Arab", "Persian" or "Asiatic" with little input from the Local Africans.

This is contrasted by the archeological record and written record of Travelers to the Coast. Archaeological evidence proves that the Swahili developed from Cushitic Pastoralists who crossed the Rift Valley.(Jacob L. Kimaryo*-East African Coastal Historical Towns. Asiatic or African?)

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/ancient-cities-and-kingdoms-of-the-east-african-coasts-the-black-swahilis/

The Evidence Suggests that the Swahili learned and adapted non African Styles and incorporated these styles themselves to their Traditional Architecture.

Swahili African not Arab-On Part 2 You can see Native African Swahili Stone Masons and Artisans who still retain the knowledge on the Intricate decoration Style..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Bz9Cl4zgI

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MT-N5YXWJM&feature=related

The Final Nail in the Coffin of the "Arab/Persian/Asian" origin of the Swahili is a pasage from the Travel Journal of Berber Traveler Ibn Battuta..

"We ... traveled by sea to the city of Kulwa [Kilwa in East Africa]...Most of its people are Zunuj, extremely black...The city of Kulwa is amongst the most beautiful of cities and most elegantly built... Their uppermost virtue is religion and righteousness and they are Shafi'i in rite."

Ibn Battuta, A.D. 1331

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Call Me Jari

Good videos Jari, but let me just say that it's also Whites that are refuting what is said about Africans from the past.

Even in your video, it shows an Euro who is defending that Swahili is African and NOT Arab. What we need is more enlightened people who KNOW that TRUTH stands the test of time it takes a Village to raise a Child, and It takes a Seeker to unearth Truth be they Black or White.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Because we have so many AfroNuts who go off into loopy land, Blacks have a hard time getting credibility which means no grant money.

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Now on to the Architecture...

The Great Mosque of Kilwa..

The Great Mosqu of Kilwa is probably the most famous Architecture of the Swahili Coast. Built over many phases beginning in the 10th Century, the original mosque now known as the Northern Hall was square in plan with Coral Stone Columns.

(From Archnet.org)

The original prayer hall was built in the eleventh or twelfth century and was subsequently modified in the thirteenth century. It was composed of 16 bays divided by nine pillars holding a flat roof of coral plaster. The original pillars were octagonal columns each carved from a single coral stone and measuring 140 centimeters tall and 40 centimeters square. Coral stone has a lime content that hardens with water and saturates the porous coral to create concrete. This sanctuary measured about 7.8 meters side and 12 meters along the qibla axis. The east and western side wall each had three arched doors that were embellished in the thirteenth century with recessed spandrels.

-Copyright Archnet.org

http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7808

13th Century

The 13th Century saw extensions and enlargement to the original Mosque. Stone Columns were Replaced with wood columns and more elaborate roof decorations..

(From Archnet.org)

With the thirteenth century modifications the columns were replaced with those made of timber and a more elaborate roof support structure, including transverse beams and side pilasters, was installed. According to the Kilwa Chronicle, the beams and columns were installed in wood because stone carving craftsmanship in Kilwa had declined. The coral blocks of the ceiling were also plastered with concrete upon which an interlocking circular pattern was engraved. The original walls of the mosque were lined with a second wall of square cut coral blocks set in a thick mortar.

Copy right Archnet.org

The Southern Extension

The Southern Extension dates to the 14th century. The defining structure of the Mosque, the elaborate Barrel Vault columns and Colonnade and Domes and the "Great Dome" are all a part of the Southern Extension.

(From Archnet.org)

Southern extension and the Great Dome

In the early fourteenth century, Sultan al-Hasan ibn Sulaiman, the builder of the palace of Husuni Kubwa, built an extension from the east wall of the northern prayer hall, which wrapped around forming a large open court. A very narrow barrel vaulted corridor, consisting of 30 bays complete with dressed coral panels and supported by coral columns ran directly southward. This extension juts out slightly to the east, creating a wing that deviates from the otherwise orthogonal plan. Within the space where the wall splays, two small irregular rooms were preceded by a small porch containing a tank filled with smooth quartz pebbles, a sandstone foot-rubber and a bench. Behind this small assembly of rooms is a somewhat larger plainly vaulted room. This long room leads into a square room four meters across which carries the great dome.

This dome, noted in the Kilwa Chronicle, is thought to be the first true dome on Africa's east coast. It was supported on squinches and decorated with dressed coral panels. After his visit in 1331, Ibn Battuta remarked on the splendor of the dome, which was, until the nineteenth century, the largest dome on the East African coast. Beyond the Great Dome is a string of ablution rooms with a well. Latrines and water tanks were added, partially enclosing a large open space between it and the northern prayer hall.

Copyright Archnet.org

(More on the Great Mosque @ Archnet.org)

Plan(With the Original Mosque and the various Extensions)...Use the Plan as you read about the extensions..

-

-
(Copyright: Denyer, Susan
African Traditional Architecture
Africana Publishing Company, NY)

More Images..

-

-

-

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
@ King, Thanks for the Support, and let me say this when I say Eurocentric Minded Im not against all Whites or White Historians and archeologists. I have and will always maintain that European people are a vital and important part of African History and archeology. Many of my sources, references, and images were taken and written by White people. Rather Ironic considering that so called Afrocentric Fraud Pseudo-scholars would rather claim the Olmecs, Vikings, Chinese etc.

Thanks for the support King!!...

Cont.

-

-
 -

Map of Kilwa..

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
More Swahili Style Mosques...

The Kizimkazi mosque, located south of Stone Town, was built in 1107 AD and is the oldest on the main Island (Unguja). It is still used today by the people of Kizimkazi village.

-Via Zanzibarhistory.org

http://www.zanzibarhistory.org/Zanzibar_Mosques.htm

-

-

-

-

Hujjatul Islam mosque:

-

-

You can see clear Swahili/East African style incorporated into the Indian Influenced design..

-

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Let me help out Jari with his journey on discovering Ancient African Architecture Doug M is another person that should post in this thread:

Mitoni Palace, Zanzibar
 -

-

House of Column Museum
 -

-

-

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Thanks King!!! Please continue to contribute you don't even have to stay on the Subject Im presenting(Im certainly going to jump around) just label the name and location etc.

Some Swahili Style Houses..

-

-

-

-

All from StoneTown, Zanzibar. I believe that they were originally Houses belonging to Wealthy Nobles but are now Cultural Centers and Historical Landmarks and what not.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Yes these types of homes have Indian influence reflecting the Swahili vast trade networks and remember the porcelain embedded in some Swahili architecture. Now threads like these is what I was ranting about on the thread good post Jeri.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Brada-Anansi

Jari really put in work in this thread. Gotta support the Brotha.

I just hope we have more threads like this setting the record straight on the Swahili and less on what ignorance is spewed in confirmings threads.

Really man post all the Buildings you can find:

Zanzibar Door
 -

-

Persian Bath House
 -

Now for other places in East Africa:

-

-

malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malibudusul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African tribes
are current.
Correct?
These are the people who lost their territory.
Correct?

Posts: 2922 | From: World Empire of the Black People | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure they lost their territory but ok what goes.

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malibudusul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why in africa
has castles like
of Europe?

Ethiopia, zimbabwe

who invented the first?

Posts: 2922 | From: World Empire of the Black People | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
I think they lost territory
and turned tribes

JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Bad, I thought those were Yoruba people ( in the last pic shown) in Brazil but I was wrong it seems.

Statement retracted.

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com