EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » what was the skin color of Neanderthals and why was it that way?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what was the skin color of Neanderthals and why was it that way?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what was the skin color of Neanderthals and why was it that way?
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: I am retracting my statement.

I will revisit this thread with a definite position on the skin color of the Neandertal.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not aware of any skin pigmentation analysis of the Neanderthals, although, judging from the environment and the biological response of modern humans in the same environment [like say, shortened limb proportions, although in Neanderthals this was more extreme], my guess is that Neanderthals would have been light toned to some degree. These guys were primarily hunter-gatherers, and so, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that they were necessarily as light as northern European folks, who had lightened further as a result of moving away from a primarily meat and fish rich diet to a relatively lower vitamin D grain-rich agricultural diet. Of course, with time, many European nations adopted fortified milk.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merriam-Webster
Definition of EXPLORER
: one that explores; especially : a person who travels in search of geographical or scientific information.

One who ingests spoon-fed nonsense, dressed as science: and than regurgitates it, is not an EXPLORER.

Merriam-Webster doesn't seem to have a word for it, but it's definitely not EXPLORER!

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^^
Mike111 has not figured out yet that he and M.K and IronLiar are the only members of his Pseudo-Scholar world...

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike what is your answer to what was the skin color of Neanderthals and why was it that way?

please, a direct non sarcastic answer and no pictures

thank you,

lioness productions

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
I'm not aware of any skin pigmentation analysis of the Neanderthals, although, judging from the environment and the biological response of modern humans in the same environment [like say, shortened limb proportions, although in Neanderthals this was more extreme], my guess is that Neanderthals would have been light toned to some degree. These guys were primarily hunter-gatherers, and so, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that they were necessarily as light as northern European folks, who had lightened further as a result of moving away from a primarily meat and fish rich diet to a relatively lower vitamin D grain-rich agricultural diet. Of course, with time, many European nations adopted fortified milk.

research in support
Carles Lalueza-Fox, et al., 2007 “A Melanocortin 1 Receptor Allele Suggests Varying Pigmentation Among Neanderthals,” www.sciencexpress.org / 25 October 2007 / Page 1 / 10.1126/science.1147417

quote:
The melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) regulates
pigmentation in humans and other vertebrates. Variants
of MC1R with reduced function are associated with pale
skin color and red hair in humans primarily of European
origin. We amplified and sequenced a fragment of the
MC1R gene (mc1r) from two Neanderthal remains. Both
specimens have a mutation not found in ~3700 modern
humans. Functional analyses show that this variant
reduces MC1R activity to a level that alters hair and/or
skin pigmentation in humans. The impaired activity of
this variant suggests that Neanderthals varied in
pigmentation levels, potentially to the scale observed in
modern humans. Our data suggest that inactive MC1R
variants evolved independently in both modern humans
and Neanderthals.

Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I was just about to post that..

Forensic/artistic reconstruction on what they may have looked like.

-

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Merriam-Webster
Definition of EXPLORER
: one that explores; especially : a person who travels in search of geographical or scientific information.

One who ingests spoon-fed nonsense, dressed as science: and than regurgitates it, is not an EXPLORER.

Merriam-Webster doesn't seem to have a word for it, but it's definitely not EXPLORER!

Turdhead, do you ever focus on the topic but queer after me all day long?
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl:

research in support
Carles Lalueza-Fox, et al., 2007 “A Melanocortin 1 Receptor Allele Suggests Varying Pigmentation Among Neanderthals,” www.sciencexpress.org / 25 October 2007 / Page 1 / 10.1126/science.1147417

quote:
and Neanderthals.

Were the two test subjects European Neanderthal specimens or did it include specimen from some other territory? If the MC1R allele was highly variable in the test subjects from the same geographical region, which would be better demonstrated by tests on more than two subjects, then perhaps this may serve as yet another indication that the allele is not under any particular selective pressure in said group.
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl:

research in support

quote:
and Neanderthals.

Were the two test subjects European Neanderthal specimens or did it include specimen from some other territory? If the MC1R allele was highly variable in the test subjects from the same geographical region, which would be better demonstrated by tests on more than two subjects, then perhaps this may serve as yet another indication that the allele is not under any particular selective pressure in said group.
one Spain, one Italy
Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness

The first Albinos in this world came from Tajikistan and Turkemenistan. They mutated that way less than 6,000 years ago.

Before that, there were no albinos race.

Know thyself.

Lion

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [Roll Eyes] You must be kidding me...you all are actually debating about and/or care about the skin color of NEANDERTHALS???

WTF.....I don't know whether to SMFH and KMRT or laugh....

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does kmrt stand for?

I care.

Is it kick my right testicl or Kmart or what? Kull my red thong?

Anyway who knows. They probably didn't have skin complection like blue monkeys or anything too extreme or far off from our own.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
What does kmrt stand for?

I care.

Is it kick my right testicl or Kmart or what? Kull my red thong?

Anyway who knows. They probably didn't have skin complection like blue monkeys or anything too extreme or far off from our own.

KMRT = KISS MI RASS TEETH
Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com