EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Mission Henri Lhote facsimile fakes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mission Henri Lhote facsimile fakes
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone who can copy complete GOOGLE BOOKS pages please post
pp.206-213 and pp.216-217 from Keenan's The lesser gods of the Sahara.

Some frauds attested to there are reproduced in
Lhote's (1959) The Search for the Tassili Frescoes

They are

#26. Jabbaren: Scene of Offerings. Egyptian Influence

#33. Jabbaren: 'Antinea': Post-Bovidian Period with Egyptian Influence

I. Jabbaren. The Bird-HeadedGoddesses. Egyptian Influence.

#48. Ti-n-Tazarift: The Dancers: Post-Bovidian Period with Egyptian Influence

In examining them one gets clues besides one's
common artistic sense in discerning technique,
style, and subject matter of the fakers.

Of course by studying the non-fraudulent pieces
one learns the techniques, styles, and subject
matters of the authentic neolithic and ancient
Saharan artists.

Lhote's commentary on the above admitted fakes
describing their characteristics and themes also
give pointers to other similar works that may too
be highly suspected of fraud.

Tourists have snapped many Tassili rock art pieces.
When there are no in situ photos of a Mission Henri
Lhote facsimile reproduction what is one to conclude?

Since certified frauds were confessed by guilty
members of Lhote's team I've become leary of
meticulously executed "Saharan rock art" that's
unverified by photo.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like so?

-

-

-

-

Is the above what you wanted? Not sure if you can post Google Book pages in HTML... Unless you want to type them yourself lol

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An example of how the fakes influenced historical anthropology.

-
Jabbaren: 'Antinea': Post-Bovidian Period with Egyptian Influence

Other than touch ups to the breast, thigh, and buttocks
the above reworking is the same as in Lhote's book.

Lhote's commentary:
This magnificent female figure was found in the so-called
'Aard-Vark' shelter at Jabbaren where it is situated in the least
accessible part of the grotto and screened from outside by a
huge rock. The shelter had been occupied (previously to the
execution of the paintings) by Bovidians, who left here remains
of their repasts and a number of artifacts. The great picture
covers, to the extreme right, a little round-headed figure, while
a Bovidian personage in red ochre seems to have been em-
bodied in the head-dress of 'Antinea'. The profile is typically
'European' -- Greek one might almost say. It is in marked
contrast with the coarse faces of the 'magistrates' (No. 30)
and of the women of the Upper Jabbaren (List of Styles No. 1)
which, nevertheless, belong to the same art-phase and are all
executed in similar colors. The head-dress seems to indicate
an important personage. Here, once more, we see the head-
band or high cap which is characteristic of this school of
painting, but the upper part of the head-dress is different and
appears to contain an attribute whose form is not unlike that
of the Egyptian pshent. The hand seems to be covered by a frill
or finge.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I'll repost this:

quote:
The reason for this unfortunate state of affairs is that the Tassili-n-Ajjer, more than any other Saharan region, has been subject to an appalling record of personal ambition, greed, looting, fraud, fakery and just about everything else that can give archaeology, or any other discipline for that matter, a bad name. All of this was documented in the original and subsequent versions of The Lesser Gods, which was a long-overdue intellectual and character assassination of Henri Lhote,6 the self-proclaimed discoverer of the Tassili frescoes.7 I will therefore not repeat what I have already written, other than to summarise Lhote’s main contributions to this disgraceful record. Lhote did not discover the Tassili frescoes as most of his writing and self-publicity
would have us believe.
Most of the sites recorded by Lhote had already been seen by an extraordinary Frenchman, Lieutenant Brenans, much of whose work was plagiarised by Lhote and many of whose original notebooks and sketches were deliberately destroyed by Lhote. Earlier exploratory work had also been undertaken by Leo Frobenius (1937) and Yolande Tschudi (1955a, 1955b). Both Brenans and Lhote were indebted to the famous Tuareg guide Jebrine ag Mohammed, to whom the Tassili park is now commemorated and who would no doubt have brought the paintings to the world’s attention through his own writing
if he had been able to write. Lhote also set out to destroy the record (and life-work) of Yolande Tschudi (1955a, 19955b), the first person actually to record the Tassili paintings in colour and to try dating them. He largely succeeded. Tschudi is still alive and living near Zurich.

Particularly serious from the archaeological perspective is that many of the paintings
that Lhote recorded are ones that he faked
. At least eight of them, (and possibly as many as 12), have been identified and recorded. However, long discussions with Lhote’s copying team during the course of making the film The Lesser Gods revealed that there are “dozens of fakes”. The word dozens should be treated with caution. From carefully interviewing surviving members of Lhote’s team, my own team of researchers were led to believe that at least a dozen well-known recorded paintings are fakes. To the dozen that we have confirmed, it appears that the reference to dozens (plural) refers to the copiers’ practice of making many paintings, often merely to amuse themselves and pass the time of day, which were quickly destroyed or removed. However, even though
these ‘fakes’ may no longer exist on the rock faces, we do not know if they have 120 Journal of Contemporary African Studies been perpetuated in Lhote’s notes and other records
. The key point about this new information is not that the number of fakes is greater than hitherto supposed, but that Lhote actually knew that they were fakes. The copiers stated that many of the ‘more important’ fakes (that is, those published by Lhote) were done, in the words of one of the copyists, “to take the mickey” out of Lhote as he was so unpopular with his team. Some even described their feelings as “hatred”. The copiers claim that in all cases they told Lhote that they had painted the fakes.8 Indeed, in most cases it was self-evident, yet Lhote insisted on publishing them as real. Most of the copiers to whom my research team spoke could not understand his motivation. I believe that in part it was to prove his ‘Egyptian thesis’ (that the origin of Tassilian art was the Nile).9 Beyond that, the reason seems to lie in his extraordinary arrogance and psychological make-up. As shown in the film, even when challenged, by Malika Hachid, the former director of the Tassili National
Park, to remove the ‘Egyptian Goddesses’, which had already been proven to be a fake
, from later editions of his book, Lhote refused to do so. For the last 30 years or so of his life he refused to admit that his team had painted fakes.

Moreover, Lhote not only washed and publicly encouraged the washing of the paintings, thus accelerating their destruction, but also reportedly looted surface and other artefacts in huge quantities from an unknown number of sites. It has been said by people who worked with him that what he did not take for the Musée de l’Homme in Paris and the Bardo Museum in Algiers went into his private collection, and that his private collection surpassed those of both museums.11 Indeed, Lhote undertook perhaps as many as a hundred excavations from which he is said to have removed (looted) artefacts without making any public record of them. Lhote also used his influence to stop other academics and scientists visiting the region, thus preventing further research (and, of course, the discovery of his misdeeds). In short, Lhote was the major contributor to the near sterilisation of the archaeological record of one of the world’s most important archaeological sites and the main cause of much of the subsequent damage to the remaining art through actions such as washing.

Source: Who Thought Rock Art Was About
Archaeology? The Role of Prehistory in Algeria’s Terror: By Jeremy Keenan Journal of Contemporary African Studies, 25,1, Jan. 2007

Much better in this thread

--------------------
L Writes:

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. When I used GOOGLE CHROME browser on my old
Windows XP running PC I could go to my PC's temp folder
and an image in entirety of each GOOGLE BOOKS page
would be there. Uploading one of them was a lot easier
than manually taking screen shots.

But there's something easier still.

MoM718 used to post the actual GOOGLE url image pages
themselves but I only get the id valeu for the first page
linked not any other pages in the book that I scroll to
after that, and you need the sig and w values to link
directly to the page images themselves like he did.

quote:
Originally posted by L':
Like so?

. . . .

Is the above what you wanted? Not sure if you can post Google Book pages in HTML... Unless you want to type them yourself lol

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Interesting stuff. Too bad the Mathilda followers who believe in these fakes like Lyinass are ignoring all this.
Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Here is a quick quote I will post:

What Happened to the Ancient Libyans? Chasing Sources across the Sahara from Herodotus to Ibn Khaldun By Richard L. Smith

quote:
In classifying the peoples of North Africa, Procopius offered the fewest categories, Libyans and Maures, friend and foe. He served as court historian for Emperor Justinian in the sixth century and wrote political and military history, not ethnography. While his division has some basis in location, it is essentially a political one.( n33) On the other extreme are Ptolemy and Ibn Khaldun, both of whom refer to scores of people. One of the most curious systems of categorization comes from Ibn Hawqal, who wrote in the late tenth century. A native of Baghdad, he traveled extensively in the western regions of Islam, where his curiosity led him to gather much information about the Sahara. At one point in his work, he suddenly announces that his readers may become confused by the many Berber clans and tribes he mentions, so to help matters he divides them into the "pure Sanhaja" and the "Banu Tanamak," the difference being that the latter "were originally Sudan [black] whose skin and complexion became white because they live close to the North."( n34) He lists nineteen names under the pure Sanhaja and twenty-two under the Banu Tanamak without indicating whether these are political, cultural, geographic, social, or linguistic in nature. Nor does he specify the difference between the Sanhaja and other Berbers.
It's about 43 pages long, but I think it's pretty good.

Edit: Guess there is no need for a download:
Read Here

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
MoM718 used to post the actual GOOGLE url image pages themselves

Use Mozilla Firefox for that.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pages 209 and 210 are omitted from the Google book review.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Thank you, I'm not one for having more than one
browser on my PC at a time or switching back and
forth between browsers. I guess I could use some
other 'chine and transfer the URLs though in the
future to save you the effort.

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

^You're welcome. Its pretty simple though took less than five minutes. *shrugs shoulders* Btw, I read the pages and noted what you were reffering towards about the Lhote fakes and further criticism. Good reading, so, thank you in return.
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
quote:
How do you do it? Lol, I tried to test it and post the URL, but it won't work for me (am using Firefox)

--------------------
L Writes:

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Originally posted by L':
quote:
How do you do it? Lol, I tried to test it and post the URL, but it won't work for me (am using Firefox)
It's a secret, lol nah you have to go to "tools" then "page info" then "media" and viola....
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I don't see how Lohte could have been fooled by the "bird goddesses".

-

^ The overall style and shapes are clearly unlike any of the other paintings.

The three mounted ladies look more realistic.

-

But still the unpainted bodies and them being mounted on cattle along with their hairdos that are contemporary with modern Fulani should raise eyebrows.

Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Frankly I don't see how Lohte could have been fooled by the "bird goddesses".

He wasn't fooled he just stuck by the lie he wanted them to be real, so don't you be fooled.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
In 1966 Basil Davidson wrote the following caption
for the quartet of figures posted on ES AE&E as "The
Tassili Ladies, 3000 BC Algeria."

WOMEN RIDERS mounted on horned oxen wear
capes and hairdos astonishingly modern in
style
. They are part of a scene which shows
a whole community moving to another camp.

Underscoring and bolding by me.

We now know why the clothes and 'dos evoke anachronism.

-

Women mounted on horned oxen. An entire community moves to a new region.
Frescoes of Tassili N'Ajjer, Algeria. 2nd mill. BCE.
Photo Credit : Erich Lessing / Art Resource, NY
Image Reference : ART112955

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB] In 1966 Basil Davidson wrote the following caption
for the quartet of figures posted on ES AE&E as "The
Tassili Ladies, 3000 BC Algeria."

We now know why the clothes and 'dos evoke anachronism.

According to 'the Lessing archive', the piece only dates back to the 2nd-1rst Millenium BCE, hence is much later than the purported date of 3,000 BC and more comfortably matches what we know historically with the emergence of the sea peoples in North Africa.

How far does Hanchid go back with his dating? I know Frigi et al (2010) cites him to argue for the admixture of Berbers being rooted partially in interactions with Saharan immigrants. That we only see females with such phenotype may also evince the sex-biased gene-flow that is usually discussed. This is assuming that it isn't fake, and by amateurishly eye-balling I can actually see the stylistic similarity between the "Tassili ladies" and the other paintings displayed next to it in the above source.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
There are Saharan rock art pieces showing men who
are warriors but the style is very crude and with no
anachronisms amounting to fakery. Fakers would
mimic the style of the large herd, the women stand
afar from the herd which interestingly lacks any herders.

Compare this scene of pastoralist women and a moving
cow. Notice they walk and have no 1960's style Parisien
capes. Nor do they have a Fulani type hairstyle like the
blonde in the fake.

-

In the questionable piece the women are "acculturated"
while the warrior men retain non-African accutrements
per the analysis of some historian interpreters iirc. One
says the way they wear their short swords is the same
as the "Sea People." Women are never shown in the
warrior paintings nor are the warriors ever in scenes
of day to day living experiences.

BTW Malika Hachid is a she.

-  -

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I didn't know about the male warriors from Jabbaren, thanks. Has it indeed been argued that the figures above are depicted accurately in their hue? I simply see transparent chalk, but maybe these scholars have more going for them in discerning non-African cultural leanings.

When are those pieces dated? The Tassili ladies again, are said to date around 1,000 BC, which may still evoke feelings of anachronism but there were other paintings that were pretty much the same as far as the level of detail, depicting people with pretty much the same standards of attire. Such is included within the overall "Bovidian style", which Roset (2004) actually attributes to the proto-Fulani. Indeed, paintings similar to the "Tassili ladies" show elaborately dressed brown-skinned men, one who is also riding oxen.

This one came to mind when I made the above statement (mind you, this is from the same period as the Tassili ladies [2nd-1rst millenium BC]):

-

- "Perhaps a scene of jurisdiction. A man in the centre, possibly accused of some crime, is led off by an official in striped coat. Group of robed justices (?) on lower left. Fresco of Tassili N'Ajjer, Henri Lhote Collection"

quote:
BTW Malika Hachid is a she.
Oops. Please disregard the sexist assumption.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

^LOL, in all honesty, the guy who looks like he's being hauled off to jail struck me as out of place, but I'll bite.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Not to discount the possibility of whites in the Sahara, I do think the stark white figures are truly symbolic as opposed to realistic. They very likely represent spirits particularly of the deceased. I mean first off, Europeans are pale but they are not that white. Second, I have seen one painting Tasili painting showing a hunter drawing his bow against a bull in one scene and in the next scene he stands next to a stark-white bull perhaps representing its spirit after death. I have even seen a one scene showing people in their regular dark brown complexions except one who lying down. Thirdly, there are Africans today who paint themselves white as a ritual act of portraying dead ancestors or to perform zar.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Tassili paintings and engravings, like those of other rock art areas in the Sahara, are commonly divided into at least four chronological periods based on style and content. These are:

1)an archaic tradition depicting wild animals whose antiquity is unknown but certainly goes back well before 4500 B.C.

2) a so-called bovidian tradition, which corresponds to the arrival of cattle in North Africa between 4500 and 4000 B.C.

3) a "horse" tradition, which corresponds to the appearance of horses in the North African archaeological record from about 2000 B.C. onward

4) a "camel" tradition, which emerges around the time of Christ when these animals first appear in North Africa.

Engravings of animals such as the extinct giant buffalo are among the earliest works, followed later by paintings in which color is used to depict humans and animals with striking naturalism. In the last period, chariots, shields, and camels appear in the rock paintings.

While these traditions are successive, it does appear that earlier ones continued on for varying lengths of time after the appearance of later ones. Two important qualifiers need to be made. First, many scholars have recently questioned a pan-Saharan chronology and there is a move away from grandiose chronological schemes to concentrating more on understanding regional chronological variability. Second, the Sahara, given its vast size and various political complications, is still an inadequately researched area in terms of rock art and very few dates exist. As more work is done and techniques for dating advance, it is likely that this four-period dating scheme will be modified in particular regions and that more will be learned about the origins and demise of Saharan rock art.

Department of Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas, The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Department of Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas. "African Rock Art: Tassili-n-Ajjer (?8000 B.C.–?) ". In Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000–. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/tass/hd_tass.htm (October 2000)

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An example of how the fakes influenced historical anthropology.

-
Jabbaren: 'Antinea': Post-Bovidian Period with Egyptian Influence

Other than touch ups to the breast, thigh, and buttocks
the above reworking is the same as in Lhote's book.

Lhote's commentary:
This magnificent female figure was found in the so-called
'Aard-Vark' shelter at Jabbaren where it is situated in the least
accessible part of the grotto and screened from outside by a
huge rock. The shelter had been occupied (previously to the
execution of the paintings) by Bovidians, who left here remains
of their repasts and a number of artifacts. The great picture
covers, to the extreme right, a little round-headed figure, while
a Bovidian personage in red ochre seems to have been em-
bodied in the head-dress of 'Antinea'. The profile is typically
'European' -- Greek one might almost say. It is in marked
contrast with the coarse faces of the 'magistrates' (No. 30)
and of the women of the Upper Jabbaren (List of Styles No. 1)
which, nevertheless, belong to the same art-phase and are all
executed in similar colors. The head-dress seems to indicate
an important personage. Here, once more, we see the head-
band or high cap which is characteristic of this school of
painting, but the upper part of the head-dress is different and
appears to contain an attribute whose form is not unlike that
of the Egyptian pshent. The hand seems to be covered by a frill
or finge.

I hate to keep playing conspiracy theorist but...
anachronistic is understating things.

-
I hope this is supposed to be a rendition of the original painting.

- From 1880

-
Karl Lagereld in the house... of Chanel that is.

Some thing's never change I guess - including European depictions of themselves.

BTW - the poncho is ancient South American fashion statement not an Iberian one. They started wearing them in Europe during World War I about the time colonialists were venturing into the Sahara engaging in their rock artistry so to speak.

Not to nitpick but, for this reason I thus still have questions and reservations about the antiquity and age of this specific artwork where females appear to be wearing poncho-like articles of clothing.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:

-  -  -

Left is photo of the Lhote facsimile. Right is repro as in Davidsons' African Kingdoms.
Book credits say it's the same as left, photo by Lessing taken at the Musee de l'Homme.

Another fraud tipoff, one woman is blonde, one redhead, one brunette, and one ravenette.

Perpatrators of Mission Lhote fakeries admit to adding their own touches alongside the
authentic pre-historic artwork as well as to rendering outright phony fabrications.

What we have above is a case where they inserted women of the four European hair colors
nearly in four cardinal angle positioning into the probably original scene of a cattle herd.

-  -

The above looks like part of a panorama with the below, also having embedded fakeries.

-  -

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
[QB]
quote:

-  -

Left is photo of the Lhote facsimile. Right is repro as in Davidsons' African Kingdoms.
Book credits say it's the same as left, photo by Lessing taken at the Musee de l'Homme.

Another fraud tipoff, one woman is blonde, one redhead, one brunette, and one ravenette.

On top of the women's heads looks more like a turban or similar headgear, you commomly see that when people are riding animals and have robe like garments. Look at the figure in the lower left corner, the shape of what's on her head does not look like hair

-

It could be a fake vut what was the intention? If it is fake was it just a joke or were they trying to show that there were white people in ancient Libya for some political purpose? These Europeans don't seem concerned enough about ancient Libya to try to do that

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
above dana also seems to see these as hats or some kind of headgear. The woman in the center is also carrying an object on top of her head.

If the painting was an attept to look like European hair this is the closest hairstyle, yet unlike in the painting the hair is not covering the ear. It doesn't look the same to me, the painting looks like some sort of turban type thing

-  -

but obviously if you were trying to pull a scam you wouldn't try to imply a hairstyle from the 1900s unless joking.
To me the women are simply wearing headgear and garments typical of NA.
The main issue people are having is the lack of skin darkness.If they were dark no one would be talking about what's on top of their heads.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why I'm bothering replying since you
always seek refuge in irrationality after being
refuted.

Quite the contrary, I have never assessed skin
colour in adjudging the Oxen Riders as fakes.
You are the one using skin colour as a crutch.

In fact I've questioned the authenticity of the
so-called Filles Peuhl and they are quite dark.

-  -  -  -

My stance on pale island and north Mediterranean
females in North Africa in prehistory is well known
as in my view they partially account for the lighter
skin tone of some North Africans. You are the one
using light skin colour as a crutch not me.

The Saharan woman you posted her headwrap looks
absolutely nothing like any of the hairstyles in the
art. It could never be mistaken for styled hair
whether bushy, brushed, or exquisitely coiffured.

If you really knew anything about the region, the
time period, and the people you would know that
object atop the central figure's head you cannot
identify is an ostrich egg.

Please post examples of female turban wear dating
to ~1500 BCE in the Sahara. As you know from earlier
posts on this topic the blonde sports a well known
hairstyle of last century sahel/savannah women and
is particularly a Fulani adornment. Where in the art
or literature of the ancient Egyptians or Graeco-Latins
is there any indication of North African female turban wear?

-  -

Another point of fakery regarding the ravenette. You can see the facsimile
artist's attempt at mascara or eyelash makeup in the line jutting the forehead.

-

The intent of the artists making fakes, and they did
make fakes as some confessed their misdeeds, was
chalked up to boredom and pulling one over on the
boss.

It is the boss, Henri Lhote, who's to blame for any
falsifying of anthropology and history as he's the
one who made such glowing disinforming writeups
like the one on Antinea fully quoted in an above
post.

Hachid, who published some of the fakes in her work,
implies Lhote was aware of fraud but lent the fakes
authenticity in support of his own personal theories
on which, of course, his art crew heard him speak.

-

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Don't know why I'm bothering replying since you
always seek refuge in irrationality after being
refuted.

Quite the contrary, I have never assessed skin
colour in adjudging the Oxen Riders as fakes.
You are the one using skin colour as a crutch.

In fact I've questioned the authenticity of the
so-called Filles Peuhl and they are quite dark.

My stance on pale island and north Mediterranean
females in North Africa in prehistory is well known
as in my view they partially account for the lighter
skin tone of some North Africans. You are the one
using light skin colour as a crutch not me.

It is hard to determine, then, the reason you made this thread, what you think is relevant about them.

quote:

The Saharan woman you posted her headwrap looks
absolutely nothing like any of the hairstyles in the
art. It could never be mistaken for styled hair
whether bushy, brushed, or exquisitely coiffured.

That is your opinon I disagree and dana had implied earlier that the intent was not hair.

quote:

If you really knew anything about the region, the
time period, and the people you would know that
object atop the central figure's head you cannot
identify is an ostrich egg.

Why would I identify the object on top of her head as an ostrich egg? I never said anything about an ostrich egg. Please don't put words in my mouth.

quote:

Please post examples of female turban wear dating
to ~1500 BCE in the Sahara.

Why try to do this? The Tassili n'Ajjerrock art images cover a period of about 10,000 years up to the 1st cnetury AD. Obviously the "Tassili Ladies" is most likely from a later period than 1500 BCE and the rock art in general has proven very difficult to date accurately.

quote:

As you know from earlier
posts on this topic the blonde sports a well known
hairstyle of last century sahel/savannah women and
is particularly a Fulani adornment. Where in the art
or literature of the ancient Egyptians or Graeco-Latins
is there any indication of North African female turban wear?

-  -

what you theorize does not make sense. All the women have a similar situation on top of their heads. If their hair was in this particular style Fulani style you show, you could not carry an object, what ever it is, in it as the person in the rock art is able to do:
 -

quote:

Another point of fakery regarding the ravenette. You can see the facsimile
artist's attempt at mascara or eyelash makeup in the line jutting the forehead.

that interpretation is a real stretch, the image is poor quality and enlarged/pixilated and it doesn't show on the other version this little line which you think represents false eyelashes but yet an authentic Fulani hair style

-  -

quote:

The intent of the artists making fakes, and they did
make fakes as some confessed their misdeeds, was
chalked up to boredom and pulling one over on the
boss.

It is the boss, Henri Lhote, who's to blame for any
falsifying of anthropology and history as he's the
one who made such glowing disinforming writeups
like the one on Antinea fully quoted in an above
post.

Hachid, who published some of the fakes in her work,
implies Lhote was aware of fraud but lent the fakes
authenticity in support of his own personal theories
on which, of course, his art crew heard him speak.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
above dana also seems to see these as hats or some kind of headgear. The woman in the center is also carrying an object on top of her head.

If the painting was an attept to look like European hair this is the closest hairstyle, yet unlike in the painting the hair is not covering the ear. It doesn't look the same to me, the painting looks like some sort of turban type thing

-  -

but obviously if you were trying to pull a scam you wouldn't try to imply a hairstyle from the 1900s unless joking.
To me the women are simply wearing headgear and garments typical of NA.
The main issue people are having is the lack of skin darkness.If they were dark no one would be talking about what's on top of their heads.

Al Takruri said "Another fraud tipoff, one woman is blonde, one redhead, one brunette, and one ravenette.'

This is a great point and something I had not known or noticed before because of the apparently not very similar rendition.

A good way to say "Look we Europeans were all represented as the hamites."lol!

The African woman you've shown here is a Tuareg as I remember, and they don't typically wear turbans on their heads. To me neither the Fulani women with turned up noses shown in Takruri's posting, nor the painted women riding oxen on this rock art look very authentic.
I don't know what the people who depicted this art was trying to depict on these women's heads or if they are just hairstyles all that I know is when I first saw them they struck me as looking like something from an early Parisien French fashion studio, and that is even before I knew Lhote had taken part in supposedly redoing them.

And, what kind of traditional Berber garments look cape0like ponchos lyin_ss.

The Berber form of poncho is called the Djelaba and looks nothing like the Euro-fad Mexican ones depicted here.

There are still women that ride oxen in the Sahel area, but they are called the Kanuri. The Garamantes traditionally rode oxen, but the Garamantes were considered Ethiopians.

Isidore 6th c. said “there are three tribes of Ethiopians: Hesperians, Garamantes and Indians” (See IX ii 128.in The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville, Stephen A. Barney, 2006, p. 199).

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
BTW - a Charles Finch contacted me on the Africa resource forum and said he went to see the authentic portrayal of Libyan depicted in Lepsius canon. He said it was nothing like the original.

So what you have been trying to spread around the web is lies Lyin_ss. [Big Grin]

Dr. Finch wrote -
"Lepsius falsified the color of the Tamehou figure. I only know this because I actually went into the tomb of Rames III in 1995 – one of the few times it was open to the public – specifically to look at that Panel of Races. As is known, there are 4 racial types as depicted by Lepsius, but what is not known is that the Panel is reproduced 4 times with the same figures. I don’t know why. But that is not the issue; what is the issue is that the figure of the Tamehou in the tomb of Rameses III is NOT white, but a deep reddish brown, looking FOR ALL THE WORLD LIKE MASAI IN COLORING. One would ONLY know this by looking at the Panel ‘face-to-face’ inside the tomb. Again, Lepsius (c. 1844) – it must have been deliberate – depicted the Tamehou in the wrong color! To my disappointment, it was impossible to take a picture of this remarkable Panel. Cheikh Anta Diop obviously had never actually been inside the tomb of Rameses III, as so many have not, so took Lepsius’s depiction as authentic. I might add the Aamu, representing the Asiatics were ALSO depicted as a deep, reddish brown rather than the beige color represented by Lepsius. Lepsius’s version of the Panel is printed in color as a frontispiece to Van Sertima’s EGYPT REVISTED (1989/1991)." UNQUOTE!

Why am I astonished but not surprised?! Because I keep trying to give early European intelligensia the benefit of the doubt.

BUT ITS NOT WORKING! And I've been as brainwashed as everyone else because I can still hardly believe it!

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dana marniche

Great Find Dana.

So until they allow public access to this tomb, people will still make mistakes about just what color the Tamehou and the Aamu were.

I will always believe in Blacks, Euros etc, but this lie could easily be debunked if the public was allowed to take pics of the original.

Sadly though, people like Hawass are pushing the non black Egypt so thats reason to hide the TRUTH from the People.

BUT

As we see with the links to Africa in the DNA TRIBE study, you can only hold down truth for an short time, in the end Truth will trump lies. We just gotta be patient.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
BTW - a Charles Finch contacted me on the Africa resource forum and said he went to see the authentic portrayal of Libyan depicted in Lepsius canon. He said it was nothing like the original.

So what you have been trying to spread around the web is lies Lyin_ss. [Big Grin]

Dr. Finch wrote -
"Lepsius falsified the color of the Tamehou figure. I only know this because I actually went into the tomb of Rames III in 1995 – one of the few times it was open to the public – specifically to look at that Panel of Races. As is known, there are 4 racial types as depicted by Lepsius, but what is not known is that the Panel is reproduced 4 times with the same figures. I don’t know why. But that is not the issue; what is the issue is that the figure of the Tamehou in the tomb of Rameses III is NOT white, but a deep reddish brown, looking FOR ALL THE WORLD LIKE MASAI IN COLORING. One would ONLY know this by looking at the Panel ‘face-to-face’ inside the tomb. Again, Lepsius (c. 1844) – it must have been deliberate – depicted the Tamehou in the wrong color! To my disappointment, it was impossible to take a picture of this remarkable Panel. Cheikh Anta Diop obviously had never actually been inside the tomb of Rameses III, as so many have not, so took Lepsius’s depiction as authentic. I might add the Aamu, representing the Asiatics were ALSO depicted as a deep, reddish brown rather than the beige color represented by Lepsius. Lepsius’s version of the Panel is printed in color as a frontispiece to Van Sertima’s EGYPT REVISTED (1989/1991)." UNQUOTE!

Why am I astonished but not surprised?! Because I keep trying to give early European intelligensia the benefit of the doubt.

BUT ITS NOT WORKING! And I've been as brainwashed as everyone else because I can still hardly believe it!

dana jackass, alTakruri has mentioned the KV11 - Lepsius 1859 numerous times before me without raising this issue you are talking about

example:

Nile valley Forum 2008:

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/sutra7028.php

quote:

The Tjemehhu were Africans, some of whom were very
heavily intermixed with north Mediterraneans ranging
from the Tyrrhenian to the Ionian to the Aegean.

Lepsius' condensation (Denkmaeler Supplement plate 48 is indeed
accurate and authentic. In it you can see another condensation of
the same scene but from a different tomb in the upper right. That
condensation is from KV8 (Merenptah's tomb).

Paintings from the Book of Gates the Gate of Teka Hra vignette 30
from tombs of the 19th and 20th dynasties:

1) KV8 Merenptah (one the many ignored ones
2) KV11 Rameses III (the controversial one
3) KV17f Seti I (the most commonly shown one

BG 4:5 scene 30 as in KV8 tomb of Merneptah

-

BG 4:5 s30 as in KV11 tomb of Rameses III
Denkmaeler supplement plate 48 condensations  -

-
________________________________________________________________________^^^^Libyan Temehu (Tjemehhu)

____________Photo of Tomb Wall Ramesses III, Eric Hornung 1982
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Dana

I wouldn't be concerned with the Lying Ass as their
Phuckuptions are well known and readily apparent as
in their 2 Feb 10th posts. I leave the astute reader to
see through their non-sequitors in reply to my last post.

Some confusion over Book of Gates scene 30 in Ramesses III
tomb may be due to confusion between its representation in
two separate chambers, one in chamber F and one in chamber
J if I'm not mistaken.

It may be true that in some cases Lepsius' artists
veered from the exact colors on the wall though off
hand I can't recall an instance now. In Plate 48 the
2nd and 4th groups are light, the 2nd slightly lighter
than the 4th. Photos seem to vouch for Lepsius' accuracy,
but then again on close inspection there does appear to be
some touchup in the photo or wash done on the tomb wall.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -

But this matter really belongs in one of the Ampim vs
Yurco or KV11 BG s.30 threads so as not to detract from
this thread's theme of uncovering Mission Lhote fakes
other than those already attested in the literature.

Thanks in advance to all for staying on topic and
discussing Ramesses III's KV11 BG s.30 elsewhere.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Dana

I wouldn't be concerned with the Lying Ass as their
Phuckuptions are well known and readily apparent as
in their 2 Feb 10th posts. I leave the astute reader to
see through their non-sequitors in reply to my last post.

Some confusion over Book of Gates scene 30 in Ramesses III
tomb may be due to confusion between its representation in
two separate chambers, one in chamber F and one in chamber
J if I'm not mistaken.

It may be true that in some cases Lepsius' artists
veered from the exact colors on the wall though off
hand I can't recall an instance now. In Plate 48 the
2nd and 4th groups are light, the 2nd slightly lighter
than the 4th. Photos seem to vouch for Lepsius' accuracy,
but then again on close inspection there does appear to be
some touchup in the photo or wash done on the tomb wall.

-

But this matter really belongs in one of the Ampim vs
Yurco or KV11 BG s.30 threads so as not to detract from
this thread's theme of uncovering Mission Lhote fakes
other than those already attested in the literature.

Thanks in advance to all for staying on topic and
discussing Ramesses III's KV11 BG s.30 elsewhere.

-

OK it will be ended here then as long as people realize that this picture below is the same as the above man top on the left apparently photoshopped by somebody into something 8xs lighter.

-
Real Lepsius rendition?

I will also be asking Dr. Finch if these are the Libyans he is talking about.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^^^ dana you have a photo that says "real Lepsius rendition"

That is a photo not a Lepsius rendition. Lepsius did the illustration version not the photo.
Above are photos. Below the source, Hornung's photo
 -

^^^ this photo is a yellowed version with the wall background color appears a yellowish sand looking color not quite accurate to the wall color. The wall behind the figures is painted white as is shown more accurately below, same figures:
 -

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

That is a photo not a Lepsius rendition. Lepsius did the illustration version not the photo.
 -

^^^ this photo is a yellowed version with the wall background color appears a yellowish sand looking color not quite accurate to the wall color. The wall behind the figures is painted white as is shown more accurately below, same figures:

This was sent to me this year by Dr. Finch who visited the same tombs Lepsius saw.

"Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Libyans of Lepsius depictions - photo attached

'... in the tomb of Rameses III the generic Temehou branch of the Libyans is depicted as deep, dark reddish-brown in color, rather like the Masai. This is the Egyptians giving visual testimony of this branch of African neighbors. I would challenge the rebutters to go into the tomb of Rameses III and see for themselves. Only wish someone had taken a clear, brilliant picture once upon a time because now, of course, you can't. We depend too much on the decolorized version presented to the world by Lepsius.'"

THUS until I see some photos of Masaai colored Libyans from the tomb that Lepsius depicted your picture spam ARGUMENT IS NULL AND VOID! [Wink]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Temehou should not be confused with Tehenou
Tukuler
Member # 19944

^

In response to the Henn thread on Egyptology
where suspected of fraud because white.

-  -  -

Pick up Muzzolini's Sahariens and Hachid's Berberes
before crying fake. Hachid let on "Antinea" was fake.

Again, until a quantatative review of Tin Anneuin
and Iheren-Tahilahi Final Bovidian to first Horse
period art is undertaken, crying fake is biased
chauvinism against white/near white admixed NAs.

None of the above are Lhote facsimiles.
Two of them are obviously photographs.

The Lhote fakes are limited. At the actual site
they are faded away barely traces left. Just
because you don't like what an authentic
painting (Kel guide can locate it; it
appears in tourist/non-professional
photo albums) is little reason to
declare a fake.

There were black fakes too btw.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

'Prof' Marniche vindicated!! Gimme some hot sauce wimme order o crow wings, pls.

quote:
quote:

-

This was sent to me this year by Dr. Finch who visited the same tombs Lepsius saw.

"Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Libyans of Lepsius depictions - photo attached

'... in the tomb of Rameses III the generic Temehou branch of the Libyans is depicted as deep, dark reddish-brown in color, rather like the Masai. This is the Egyptians giving visual testimony of this branch of African neighbors. I would challenge the rebutters to go into the tomb of Rameses III and see for themselves. Only wish someone had taken a clear, brilliant picture once upon a time because now, of course, you can't. We depend too much on the decolorized version presented to the world by Lepsius.'"

THUS until I see some photos of Masaai colored Libyans from the tomb that Lepsius depicted your picture spam ARGUMENT IS NULL AND VOID! [Wink]

After all these years har tis oh my tAmenukalt, w/apologies.

-

Hornung knew he was perpetrating fraud

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
this is a detail from the previous post, clarity not too good photo.
differences here depend on the lighting conditions when the photos was taken

-
A detail of a wall in the tomb of Ramses III painted with scenes from the Book of Gates.
Photographer: Werner Forman Archive/E. Strouhal/Heritage Images

https://www.alamy.com/a-detail-of-a-wall-in-the-tomb-of-ramses-iii-painted-with-scenes-from-image60321630.html

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Not this mess again nothings wrong w/t glyphs.
Gone over that w/u 10 years now and will only go
over again for a Newbie as everyone else is tired
of it.

One may validly posit 'wrong image'.
Only seen one case of aberrant text
and that instance has out of order/
/pastiche image(s) too.

THE ORDER OF THE TEXT NEVER VARIES
ANY MORE THAN THE ORDER OF SUNRISE
NOON AND SUNSET EVER VARY.

Just look at text order in your own graphic.
The four major ethnies in top & bottom panels
line up perfectly given Lepsius' omission of
Tjemehu text in top panel.

=-=-=

In "Dana's pic" only the flesh is brown.
Nothing next to its outlines display brown.

Dana said there was a brown Tjemehu photo of
this scene and here it is just as she said.
Unevenness of tint head to toe is evident.

Tjemehu, as a class including all to Egypt's
west, vary in complexion since the brown
Tjehenu of the OK to the beige 'Meshwesh'
of the NK who ruled several LP dynasties.

In keeping with the Afterdeath theme of
this funerary book, knowing AEs considered
the west as 'land of the dead', paler beige
rather than warmer brown is the Libyan
complexion norm in all painted scenes I've
seen of this sacred to AEs chapter and verse.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Not this mess again nothings wrong w/t glyphs.
Gone over that w/u 10 years now and will only go
over again for a Newbie as everyone else is tired
of it.

One may validly posit 'wrong image'.
Only seen one case of aberrant text
and that instance has out of order/
/pastiche image(s) too.

THE ORDER OF THE TEXT NEVER VARIES
ANY MORE THAN THE ORDER OF SUNRISE
NOON AND SUNSET EVER VARY.

Just look at text order in your own graphic.
The four major ethnies in top & bottom panels
line up perfectly given Lepsius' omission of
Tjemehu text in top panel.

Yes, I have updated here:

-
Book of Gates Seti I , Merenptah , Ramesses III
Fourth division , Fith Hour

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Guy on Pinterest plagiarized me Seti I condensation.
Gave no link
Never replied when confronted
Didn't correct his fuchsups

https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/21613/thread

Having severe No internet, secured
problem I just can't lick after
using Edge and Bing for the
1st time yesterday.

In tandem their search returns
do a lot of detective work for you

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
It took me a while to put that together but the resolution is not that great on some of it. I kept the typical names for laymen's sake.
So to make everything consistent and lined up there is the glyph to the right of each figure.
I noticed in Seti I that on the full version with 4 figures each apparently G43, quail chick or one of the birds is in both Nehesy and Libyan figures sets
so this runs through both sets of four figures.
(not sure if the bottom in Libyan is different or not)
Thus the key distinguishing glyph of the compound glyphs is the first glyph, the top glyph to the right of the first figure. Thus Asiatic = throw stick T14 is the key glyph
Libyan = chord V13
For instance looking at the photo that has three of the Libyans the first figure is not shown. That would have the chord V13

the chord V13 is also the second glyph for Egyptian, however the distinguishing first glyph is
Egyptian = mouth D21 (missing at Merenptah)

and then the first glyph
Nehesy = Vulture G1

These single glyphs at the top are incomplete but I choose to leave the glyph position at Seti I as it is on the original illustration, not condensed, as it is on the wall, broken up > but the first figure's glyph the key identifying one in these Book of Gates scenes, the reason not necessary that it is most important but that top glyph is different for every nation in this situation while the other glyphs can be in more than one nation

It seems a good idea to first show the full set of glyphs in order by themselves, to let that set the tone of interpretation rather than the eye jumping to the figures first because these glyphs are maintaining consistency not the figures
and then at the various tombs and lined up on a consistent way, to make it easier to just look at compare visually

Tukuler
Member # 19944

The terminal quail chick serves the same purpose of 's' in English. It turns a singular into a plural.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Wouldn't place much on the throwstick.

Its ubiquitous and used to rep 'foreigner as belligerent enemy'.

Often enough by itself it does = 'Libyan'

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Modern labels for three of the stocks will vary
from writer to writer. Of course I prefer mine
but plagiarizer Mark Stern simply got it all
wrong despite my clear labeling in the ESR
Herd Of Ra thread.

Go ahead and cop my Seti I condensation with
full spelling right next to the subject stock
if you wanna. I know making a redux is tedious
and since you're not distorting anything I don't
mind.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
what is the link to the Stern version?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com