EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Population estimate for ancient Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Population estimate for ancient Egypt
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there was some debate awhile back about the concentraition of population in both Lower Egypt and Upper Egypt in ancient Egypt. According to the cited reference the most populuted areas were divided between Luxor-Aswan area and Faiyum-Delta area. How does this fit into modern Egypt? Middle Egypt was less densely populated but that is not the case today. Luxor-Aswan has very little of the overall population in modern Egypt.

Karl Butzer has estimated that two areas of greatest population
denisty in dyanstic times were between Luxor{Waset} and Aswan
{Elephantine} at the first cataract,and from Medium at the fayum
entrance northwards to the apex of the Delta.
IN between was Middle Egypt,a geogrpahic buffer zone with a lower
population density. It is worth bearing in mind that the total
population of egypt at the time the Giza pyramids were built is
estimated to have been 1.6 million,compared with 58 million in Ad

Page 7

Mark Lehner

THe complete Pyramids

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If true, then these figures would mark yet another shift in Egyptian Nile Valley demographics, which some portray as a constant.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the info I found

Butzer’s (1976) figures demonstrate that throughout the dynastic period the Egyptian population numbers were denser between Aswan and Qift, and between the Faiyum and the head of the Delta. The Delta and the southern wide floodplain were more sparsely populated.

As we can see the Population in Middle Egypt as well as the Delta has expanded overtime as opposed to the Nile Valley from Aswan.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Off-course Kemet at the time was inner African spreading outwards to the Delta and the Med, the NYC of their day was in upper kemet,the boonies was the delta until waay later that's what some folks are not getting., the areas below were Memphis was formally an unhealthy swamp,kinda like Louisiana,Alabama and Florida swamp lands inhabited by the kemetic versions of rednecks if such a thing is possible.
Addendum; Perhaps the greatest most important engineering project in Kemetic history (IMHO) was not It's pyramids but the winning of the delta for cultivation and long term habitation by Menes.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more intersting question is what percentage of Africans lived in egypt during dynastic times.

I read some place it was about 50%. Implication?!

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xyyman
quote:
The more intersting question is what percentage of Africans lived in egypt during dynastic times. I read some place it was about 50%. Implication?!
Until late dynastic times when Herodotus described them they would have been majority Africans perhaps unto early Islamic times they were still described as not so different from most other folks in Africa you know the children of Ham thingy.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more intersting question is what percentage of Africans lived in egypt during dynastic times.

Since Ae's were tropically adapted Africans, that
would be close to 100% except towards the later eras
of Hyskos, Persians, Greeks, Arabs etc. No doubt
some LOCAL areas may have had high concentrations
of foreigners- trading enclaves or mercenary
settlements for example. It is always possible for
small LOCAL areas to show such concentrations.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading AE texts I believe parts of the Delta always harbored foreigners from western Asia. Texts also mention large pockets of settled western Asian war prisoners in parts of Middle Egypt. Around the time of the late 19th dynasty pockets of Libyan mercenaries also existed in Middle and Lower Egypt.

You have to also take in account during the Greco-Roman era many Egyptians from the Delta fled to live in Upper Egypt and parts of Nubia. The primary reasoning being taxation. Added to this mosaic was refugees from Palestine who came during the Greco-Roman era to escape the various wars.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book excerpt simply confirms what we have posted before showing that since the dynastic period Egypt's population actually fell, then rose in the Roman period and fell again during the late Roman and into the early Islamic period. It then rose again to about 10 million in 1897. After that, Egypt's population has exploded to 74million today.

quote:

The End of Egypt Population Growth
in the 21st Century: Challenges
and Aspirations
by
Alyaa Awad, MSc..
Ayman Zohry, Ph.D..
1. Introduction:
Egypt is the most populated Arab country, and, with a population of 74 million, ranks
with Turkey and Iran, as one of the largest countries in the region. Its population was
10 million in 1897, it increased by almost six times since the beginning of the 20th
century and by almost three times from 1950 to the present. The population grew
slowly at an average rate of 1.3 percent per annum from 1897 to 1947, but
accelerated greatly to reach around 2.5 percent from 1950 to about 1970 when it
decreased to 2.2 percent due, in part, to postponement of marriage, reductions in
fertility (because of the 1973 war), and to some changes in age structure echoing the
effects of World War II. Once these temporary effects passed, the rate of population
growth rebounded to 2.5 percent in 1975-1980 and 2.6 percent from 1980-1985.
Since that period, it has begun to fall as decreases in birth rates have exceeded
continuing decreases in the crude death rate. The current population growth rate of
about 2 percent per annum is one of the lowest rates in the region.

http://www.zohry.com/pubs/alyaa.pdf

quote:

Hosni Mubarak is a dictator who has to go -- that's obviously the animating force behind the protests in Egypt. And more power to the protesters!

But Egypt's problems run much deeper than its autocratic regime, and one of its biggest problems is unsustainable population growth.

The country's populace has soared from 44 million when Mubarak took power in 1981 to more than 80 million today, making Egypt by far the most populous country in the Middle East and the Arab world. And Egyptians are densely concentrated, living in a narrow band along the Nile, as the rest of the country is dry and largely uninhabitable. If Egypt's current growth rate continues, its population could hit 160 million by 2050.

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-02-05-egypt-has-a-population-crisis-as-well-as-a-democracy-crisis

quote:

Egypt's population, estimated at 3 million when Napoleon invaded the country in 1798, has increased at varying rates. The population grew gradually and steadily throughout the nineteenth century, doubling in size over the course of eighty years. Beginning in the 1880s, the growth rate accelerated, and the population increased more than 600 percent in 100 years. The growth rate was especially high after World War II. In 1947 a census indicated that Egypt's population was 19 million. A census in 1976 revealed that the population had ballooned to 36.6 million. After 1976 the population grew at an annual rate of 2.9 percent and in 1986 reached a total of 50.4 million, including about 2.3 million Egyptians working in other countries. Projections indicated the population would reach 60 million by 1996.

http://countrystudies.us/egypt/55.htm

The fact alone that most of the population growth in Egypt has taken place in the last 150 years makes it impossible for the modern population to be the same as the ancient one. That is simply absurd nonsense.

Posts: 8893 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting but I would like to get more clear data on when the Delta became populous..?? Would it have occured when the Greeks took the Throne and transferred the capital to Alexandria?? Or when Ramses took the throne??

-

Today the Delata pretty much determines the dominant phenotype

As Doug said the population fluxuation over the years is another blow to the idea that Modern Egypt is the same as A. Egypt.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
I read an Egyptian text where the writer was lamenting about Egypt being over ran by Asiatics. I can't recall the exact name of the said text but it exists.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
From reading AE texts I believe parts of the Delta always harbored foreigners from western Asia. Texts also mention large pockets of settled western Asian war prisoners in parts of Middle Egypt. Around the time of the late 19th dynasty pockets of Libyan mercenaries also existed in Middle and Lower Egypt.

You have to also take in account during the Greco-Roman era many Egyptians from the Delta fled to live in Upper Egypt and parts of Nubia. The primary reasoning being taxation. Added to this mosaic was refugees from Palestine who came during the Greco-Roman era to escape the various wars.

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue of population growth should also be addressed in tandem with migration and demographic shifts. For instance, in 1800 America only comprised around 1-1.6 million African-Americans when now we are well over 40 million, thanks mostly to industrialization and the great [internal] migrations. A good comparative case study would be to examine whether or not northern Blacks, who migrated to more urban areas to the North, northeast and west, have higher proportions of non-African ancestry than rural southern Blacks. A pattern can be discerned and a demographic model incorporating data referenced by Keita (i.e., 1% migration per generation substantially alters the gene frequencies of the receiving population) can be developed with use of historical sources and afro-mentioned demographic shifts.

^The answers would I believe, become much clearer but researchers seem to not find this to be a useful area of research, likely sharing the Hawass sentiment that any adverse conclusions (to his) is automatically an affront to modern Egyptian historical identity, which of course it isn't.

quote:

^And of course THIS would have to be considered as well and not conveniently ignored. Indeed, ES members (including myself) usually deal with the prehistory and foundations of AE but what became of the demographics once it became a cosmopolitan society? Keita (1992) addressed this only slightly and gave us more questions than answers. Older scholarship has addressed it, but relying on racial models (such as Batrawi's account) makes them unreliable.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I still wonder what accounted for the population boom in the Delta during Napoleonic times.

By the way, where is Dahoslips and others who claim there was no population change in Egypt since dynastic times? [Big Grin]

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
^^^^
Let them remain silent, I honestly don't understand yalls fixation on Trolls.

Karl Butzer has estimated that two areas of greatest population
denisty in dyanstic times were between Luxor{Waset} and Aswan
{Elephantine}

So even if the population of Modern egypt is the same the people living in Luxor, Aswan, Kom Ombos etc. were well represented in Ancient Times as opposed to the Delta and Middle Egypt.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:

Since Ae's were tropically adapted Africans, that
would be close to 100% except towards the later eras
of Hyskos, Persians, Greeks, Arabs etc. No doubt
some LOCAL areas may have had high concentrations
of foreigners- trading enclaves or mercenary
settlements for example. It is always possible for
small LOCAL areas to show such concentrations.

Hyskos are second intermediate not late era
Posts: 42925 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it would Appear that at the Great pyramids, most lived in Upper and Faiyum regions, but since then the Delta region of Lower Egypt as well as Middle Egypt has friggin exploded.

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Here is the info I found

Butzer’s (1976) figures demonstrate that throughout the dynastic period the Egyptian population numbers were denser between Aswan and Qift, and between the Faiyum and the head of the Delta. The Delta and the southern wide floodplain were more sparsely populated.

As we can see the Population in Middle Egypt as well as the Delta has expanded overtime as opposed to the Nile Valley from Aswan.

Jari, to where does the wide floodplain refer, Middle Egypt?

And as far as I've read, it was like 1 mil in Old Kingdom times, 3-4 somewhere down the line and perhaps more during Roman times. There was this 1800s census that had them @ 2.5 mil, but who even knows who all each of these were counting, especially with no sources on hand ATMo. Of course now it's like what gotta be above 80 by now.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to bump this.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If this immigration from the Delta affected Nubia, I wonder if that explains the modern North Sudanese appearance? I've long been puzzled by the ancient Egyptian tendency to represent the Kushites as broad-featured and very dark-skinned, more like South Sudanese than modern Nubians or anyone else in North Sudan today. It's almost like North Sudanese have evolved narrower facial features and lighter skin over the centuries since Kush's heyday. Immigration from northern Egypt into Nubia could explain this.
Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Do you have any evidence that the cariacture Cushites were Northern Sudanese?? Further what do make of accounts of the people of Ta-Seti being depicted similar to Egyptians and the broad featured Kushites coming later as Egyptians penetrated further south..

quote:
Egyptian art also depicts a regional distinction in Nubian physical types. During the Old and Middle Kingdoms, Egyptian rule extended to around the third cataract. Nubians are portrayed with skin of varying shades of darkness, distinctive dress and the facial features of an Egyptian. When the New Kingdom extended its rule south beyond the fourth cataract, there was a corresponding change in the artist’s portrayal of the Nubian. The Southerners are shown with distinct Negroid features—dark skin, everted lips, prognathous jaws and kinkyhair . All of the ancient Nubian wrestlers share a physiognomic similarity to the south-Nubian Negroes alluded to in the Egyptian sources
-Wrestling in Ancient Nubia
Scott T. Carroll
Assistant Professor
Dept. of History, Gordon College

Even in the New Kingdom NHSI were shown as a heterogeneous population. Surly you of all people should be aware of this??

BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ Sorry, forgot about that.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is with you fuching people???
First I get some know nothing, giving me pointers. Now I read your nonsense. Idiots looking at an Elephants ass, and trying to figure out what an Elephant looks like. Try going around to the front of the Elephant. In this case: research, then add 2+2.

The practice of conducting a periodic census began in Egypt in the second millennium BC, where it was used for tax gathering and to determine fitness for military services.

Pharaonic era (3050 BC)

Egypt is one of the first world countries to conduct a census. This is ensured by papyrus manuscripts, ancient monuments in Pharaonic temples, marking that the first census in Egypt was carried out in 3340 BC and in 3050 BC

Islamic era (600 AD)

A census also took place in the era of Hesham Abdel Malek ben Marwan in the year 600 AD including the number of people, their ages and residences.

Napoleonic era (1798)

1798 - Egypt's population was estimated at 3 million when Napoleon invaded the country.

Muhammad Ali era (1848)

1848 — After preliminary enumerations in some urban areas and villages the first countrywide census was carried out.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbers given for various times had fluctuated a little, but

2 million during Middle Kingdom times, and

2.5 million by the 1800s

Since then, the Industrial Revolution has happened which has allowed us to support much larger populations the world over.

Egypt's somewhere near the start of the third millenium (2000s) was like 58 mil, and some number of years ago like 78 mil, and like now over 80 million strong like I guessed in my last post (and just read from a post posted prior to it).

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
In the book "Upper Egypt, Life Along the Nile" the claim is made that upper Egypt is 1/3 of the Egyptian population which the book put at 61,452,382 in the 1996 census. The book gives more detail and I quote

quote:
"In the 1996 census, the eight governorates south of Cairo and Giza governorates had a total population of 16,861,788, or about 31% of the national Total"
- Upper Egypt, Life Along the Nile
pg. 10 (Population and Demography)

The Governor Cities they are talking about are Al-Fayum, Beni Suef, Minya, Dairut, Asyut, Sohag, Qena, Luxor, Aswan

Of course we know that Fayium to Sohag or Qena are actually Middle Egypt and received heavy immigration and admixture judging from the Fayium Portraits as a matter of fact in Arabic the area from Sohag to Aswan is called "Sa-id Al-Jawwani", Deep Sa-id" and Fayium to Asyut is called Near Sa-id or Sa-id Al-barrani..

So even with the Census numbers of Upper Egypt the Population Density during Dynastic times from Luxor to Aswan is still not reflected even in Upper Egypt.

Further the Largest city in Upper Egypt is Asyut today, while Luxor formally known as Waset followed by Aswan formally known as Swenet would have been the largest Urban centers in Upper Egypt, hence the Population Density reflected by Butzer. Im going to go out on a limb and guess the population in Upper Egypt is the most Dense in Asyut.

It would be interesting to get the Population numbers for the 2010 census.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Here is some more Info of Density Per City..

Cairo
quote:
Cairo including Giza , is not only the political centre of Egypt but also the cultural, financial, commercial, religious and educational.
With a population of 13.1 million people, Cairo has an enormous density of 31,750 p/km˛. The city expanses rapidly as many workers move from rural to the urban areas searching for better job opportunities. But for most of them, the living conditions became even worse and the amount of informal settlements increase as well as the environmental pollution (mainly air pollution).

Alexandria

quote:
Alexandria with 3.5 million inhabitants is the second larges city. Due to its location at the Mediterranean Sea Alexandria has always been of great importance as a harbour city for international trade.
Since the opening of the Suez Canal Port Said is a connecting point between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea. Many industries and traders settled down there because it became a tax free zone.

Now this website skips Asyut the so called capital of Sa-id and claims Aswan is actually the largest city in the South, again this might reflect the idea that the South is from Sohag to Aswan, anyway..

quote:
Aswan with more than 500,000 inhabitants is the only big city in the south and serves as an important starting point for tourist trips to the surrounding area. Lots of cruiser take tourists from Aswan to Luxor and the number of boat tours along Lake Nasser increases. There are also bus trips to Abu Simbel .
I searched for the Population of Luxor..

-Geonames geograpical database

(Wikipedia(UnSourced) puts the population of Luxor at

-Wikipedia unsourced

Given the data its safe to put the population of Luxor Governorate at a little under 500,000

So

Cairo-13 Million

Alexandia-3.5 Million

Aswan-500,000

Luxor-422,407

wow...Remember that out of the above only Luxor, Aswan and Cairo would be the only cities with a dense population in Dynastic times, Alexandria probably did not play a signifigant role until late Dynastic times. With that said Alexandria DWARFS the population of Aswan and Luxor combined lets just give make the population 1 Million for arguments sake, Alexandria still dwarfs that at 3.5 Million.

Its safe to conclude those arguing that the Egyptians in Cairo and Alexandria are the same as Dynastic Egyptians are raving lunatics. The Population change alone debunks this claim.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
I want to point out that after the construction of the Aswan High Damn many Nubian Populations moved into Egypt and are concentrated in Cairo. As ausar has stressed many times the people found in Upper Egypt who are Dark Skinned and more African features are more than likely NOT recent Sudanese Immigrants or Nubians, although Im sure Upper Egypt has some Nubian communities, Cairo would actually be the city with the largest concentration of Nubians followed by Aswan(but lets also be clear Aswan was once part of Ta Seti but later became part of Km.t in the Early Dynastic Period(3rd Dynasty) so these people are as Egyptian as anyone).

Further those advocating that slavery darkened the Upper Egyptians must contend with the fact that 1) Most slaves went to the Delta and Cairo and 2) Most Slaves from Sudan SSA et al. had low birth rates..

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Plus the SSA slaves that came to Egypt were mostly castrated meaning they could not leave large amounts of offspring. Occasionally, during the middle ages should would come as soliders but most of the soliders were Nubians from northern Sudan.

Early Arabic writers noted the dark coloring of the Saidi populations.

However, over the years lighter skinned populations have moved into middle Egypt from the Greco-Roman era to the 1800's. Nasser's family were Arab merchants from Hejaz.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

ausar

What happened to my thread I PMed you about? Was it deleted?

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Jari

Just what did you mean by the Southern flood Plain in that one post?

By the way, someone mentions Cairo as a city back then, channel-flippin I saw a documentary on that reported that Cairo first became a major city in some times C.E., at that time just being a significant trading point on a caravan route.

Anyone, especially ausar, got any info. on this?

--------------------

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Plus the SSA slaves that came to Egypt were mostly castrated meaning they could not leave large amounts of offspring. Occasionally, during the middle ages should would come as soliders but most of the soliders were Nubians from northern Sudan.

Yes, we have to take into account the use of Beja as Medjai or what we would call in English, "Police". Im sure the Medjai intermarried but eventually regular Egyptians would join the Medjai ranks.

Also you are correct about Nubians as soldiers, this goes back to the Ptelomaic period where you see the occasional "Nubian" posing, these were probably Kushite soldiers.

Early Arabic writers noted the dark coloring of the Saidi populations.

quote:
However, over the years lighter skinned populations have moved into middle Egypt from the Greco-Roman era to the 1800's. Nasser's family were Arab merchants from Hejaz.

By any chance do you know the names of these Muslim scholars. So far I only found Ibn Bhattuta describing the Beja as black.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
The quote is not clear, I belive by the "Southern Wide" Floodplain he means the Nile Bend in Sudan.

quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
Jari

Just what did you mean by the Southern flood Plain in that one post?

By the way, someone mentions Cairo as a city back then, channel-flippin I saw a documentary on that reported that Cairo first became a major city in some times C.E., at that time just being a significant trading point on a caravan route.

Anyone, especially ausar, got any info. on this?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Jari, the quote was by Abd al-Latif,an Iraqi traveler, who stated that the Saidi live in a drier climate and have a darker complexion than the Bahari Egyptians. al-Maqrizi wrote that amongst the Qubts(Egyptians) you can find one that cannot be distinguished from Syrians, Greeks(Rom),Nubians and Abyssinians.

Whatbox, I never got your pm. Send me the link again please.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

thnx
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Ausar thanks for the info...here is what I found..

quote:
Know that the land of Egypt when the Mussulmans entered it, was full
of Christians, but divided amongst themselves in two sects, both as
to race and religion.

The one part was made up of men about the court
and public affairs, all Greek, from among the soldiers of
Constantinople, the seat of government of Rum; their views as well as
their religion, were all of them Melkite; and their number was above
300 000, all Greeks

The other portion was the whole people of Egypt, who were Qibt, and
were of mixed descent; among whom one could not distinguish Qibt from
Abbysinian, Nubian or Israelite; and they were all Jacobites. Some of
them were writers in government offices, others were merchants and
tradesmen, others were bishops and prsbyters and such like, others
were tillers of the land in the country, while others were of the
class of servants and domestics. But between these and the Melkite
ruling population, marriages were not allowed, from mutual hatred of
each other, often carried to murders on either side."
The Sheikh andImam Taqi-ed-din El-Maqrizi of Cairo family from
Baalbek, History of the Copts and of their Church.

-Al-Maqrizi
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
This book excerpt simply confirms what we have posted before showing that since the dynastic period Egypt's population actually fell, then rose in the Roman period and fell again during the late Roman and into the early Islamic period. It then rose again to about 10 million in 1897. After that, Egypt's population has exploded to 74million today.

quote:

The End of Egypt Population Growth
in the 21st Century: Challenges
and Aspirations
by
Alyaa Awad, MSc..
Ayman Zohry, Ph.D..
1. Introduction:
Egypt is the most populated Arab country, and, with a population of 74 million, ranks
with Turkey and Iran, as one of the largest countries in the region. Its population was
10 million in 1897, it increased by almost six times since the beginning of the 20th
century and by almost three times from 1950 to the present. The population grew
slowly at an average rate of 1.3 percent per annum from 1897 to 1947, but
accelerated greatly to reach around 2.5 percent from 1950 to about 1970 when it
decreased to 2.2 percent due, in part, to postponement of marriage, reductions in
fertility (because of the 1973 war), and to some changes in age structure echoing the
effects of World War II. Once these temporary effects passed, the rate of population
growth rebounded to 2.5 percent in 1975-1980 and 2.6 percent from 1980-1985.
Since that period, it has begun to fall as decreases in birth rates have exceeded
continuing decreases in the crude death rate. The current population growth rate of
about 2 percent per annum is one of the lowest rates in the region.

http://www.zohry.com/pubs/alyaa.pdf

quote:

The country's populace has soared from 44 million when Mubarak took power in 1981 to more than 80 million today, making Egypt by far the most populous country in the Middle East and the Arab world. And Egyptians are densely concentrated, living in a narrow band along the Nile, as the rest of the country is dry and largely uninhabitable. If Egypt's current growth rate continues, its population could hit 160 million by 2050.

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-02-05-egypt-has-a-population-crisis-as-well-as-a-democracy-crisis

quote:

Egypt's population, estimated at 3 million when Napoleon invaded the country in 1798, has increased at varying rates. The population grew gradually and steadily throughout the nineteenth century, doubling in size over the course of eighty years. Beginning in the 1880s, the growth rate accelerated, and the population increased more than 600 percent in 100 years. The growth rate was especially high after World War II. In 1947 a census indicated that Egypt's population was 19 million. A census in 1976 revealed that the population had ballooned to 36.6 million. After 1976 the population grew at an annual rate of 2.9 percent and in 1986 reached a total of 50.4 million, including about 2.3 million Egyptians working in other countries. Projections indicated the population would reach 60 million by 1996.

The fact alone that most of the population growth in Egypt has taken place in the last 150 years makes it impossible for the modern population to be the same as the ancient one. That is simply absurd nonsense.

THANK YOU, Doug!!! A whole mass of people have come into Egypt from West Asia (the Levant)in the past 300 years. I had a professor from Syria that told me it was a few millions during the age Egypt was one of the great industrial countries(late 19th century?). [Roll Eyes]

"Egypt's population, estimated at 3 million when Napoleon invaded the country in 1798, has increased at varying rates. The population grew gradually and steadily throughout the nineteenth century, doubling in size over the course of eighty years. Beginning in the 1880s, the growth rate accelerated, and the population increased more than 600 percent in 100 years. The growth rate was especially high after World War II. In 1947 a census indicated that Egypt's population was 19 million.'"

Guess that professor really knew what he was talking about.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Ausar thanks for the info...here is what I found..

quote:
Know that the land of Egypt when the Mussulmans entered it, was full
of Christians, but divided amongst themselves in two sects, both as
to race and religion.

The one part was made up of men about the court
and public affairs, all Greek, from among the soldiers of
Constantinople, the seat of government of Rum; their views as well as
their religion, were all of them Melkite; and their number was above
300 000, all Greeks

The other portion was the whole people of Egypt, who were Qibt, and
were of mixed descent; among whom one could not distinguish Qibt from
Abbysinian, Nubian or Israelite; and they were all Jacobites. Some of
them were writers in government offices, others were merchants and
tradesmen, others were bishops and prsbyters and such like, others
were tillers of the land in the country, while others were of the
class of servants and domestics. But between these and the Melkite
ruling population, marriages were not allowed, from mutual hatred of
each other, often carried to murders on either side."
The Sheikh andImam Taqi-ed-din El-Maqrizi of Cairo family from
Baalbek, History of the Copts and of their Church.

-Al-Maqrizi
"But between these and the Melkite ruling population, marriages were not allowed, from mutual hatred of each other, often carried to murders on either side." Wow! Sounds just like 19th century America except the African Christians weren't slaves of the Greek Melkite ones I guess.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Okay, so Delta & Middle Egypt not inhabited, Fayum & Upper most inhabited.

Weren't there sources people used to always cite here stating though that all in all most people lived on the Upper end, or no?

It wouldn't at all surprise me that it's major populations - meaning where populous or not counting sparsely inhabited areas - were about continuous or equal going down the Nile.

Lower Egypt was after all inhabited since Pre-Dynastic times, to where it needed to be being "taken over" by the South both peacably (culturally) and later millitarily.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com