EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Michelle Obama in Botswana

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michelle Obama in Botswana
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some questions:

First Lady Michelle Obama arrives in Botswana and is welcomed with a traditional African dance and the song "Obama Ye-Le-Le".

See this video:

Video from Botswana

-

Questions:

What is the clan name of this group from Botswana?

What African language do they speak?

What does Ye-Le-Le mean?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That dance is Tswana culture. The language is Setswana. They are also mainly in Northern South Africa and are similar to other folks in that region.

I might be able to edit later on what exactly "ye le le" means.

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Gaul:
That dance is Tswana culture. The language is Setswana. They are also mainly in Northern South Africa and are similar to other folks in that region.

I might be able to edit later on what exactly "ye le le" means.

Yes Yes ... thank you so much The Gaul... curiosity got the best of me. [Smile]

Cool!

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manu
Member # 18974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those Tswana seem to have a lot of Khoisan admixture in them.
Posts: 424 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^You'll notice that about a lot of South/Southern African [Bantu] groups, including/especially the Xhosa, the group to whom Nelson Mandela belongs.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best I got for "ye le le" is it's just something to add a little flavor like "oohh yeahh". Could be wrong tho.

**edit**

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:

Those Tswana seem to have a lot of Khoisan admixture in them.

How are you determining this from the photograph(s) posted here?
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get serious on this silly orchestrated visit to Southern Africa.

Obama sent his spouse as message-girl to get Zuma and the AU to stop supporting Gaddafi. But the silly girl was snubbed. Zuma sent some low-ranking minister(Prisons or Corrections?) to meet her and just said he was too busy. At least he grew a small pair on this.

That silly half-and-half man in the WH just thinks he can play both sides when he wants. Libya helped ANC a lot during Apartheid days while the U.S. supported its the racist government Gaddafi also snet funds to Zuma to pay for rape trial--so it's really a negative that Zuma was rolled with a simple call from Obama to vote for the phony "No Fly Zone" resolution.

Well, all Michelle was left to do was to engage in some infantile chit-chat and ridiculous push-ups with kids.

Now she's on to Botswana--just 1 million people but full of diamonds which they don't even cut and polish themselves. Just digging the stones out and selling them to the Jews and Indians.

And this confounded "greeting with a dance" ia a worthless ritual. When Ian Khama, President of Botswana arrives in the U.S. to visit the WH there are no pole dancers or hip hoppers waiting for him at the airport. Just a silly practice that inconsequential African nations engage in--and must stop.

This Khama has been known to condemn Mugabe for so-called "rights violations" in Zimbabwe yet sees nothing wrong with welcoming a messenger from his half-caste kin who is bombing Libya on behalf of a bunch of Benghazi racists who are killing blacks in Libya. Well, what else do you expect from a xenophobic--against Africans--diamond patch in Southern Africa.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Now she's on to Botswana--just 1 million people but full of diamonds which they don't even cut and polish themselves. Just digging the stones out and selling them to the Jews and Indians.

Despite your feelings about Obama, his wife, and Libya, let's not get carried away. Locals in Botswana cut and polish diamonds. I saw that on a news programme years ago. Whether the company that owns the manufacturing is local is aonther matter. But I did find this on a quick search:

link

quote:
And this confounded "greeting with a dance" ia a worthless ritual. When Ian Khama, President of Botswana arrives in the U.S. to visit the WH there are no pole dancers or hip hoppers waiting for him at the airport. Just a silly practice that inconsequential African nations engage in--and must stop.
Depends on where you visit in the U.S. There are some cities in America who also engage in this practice regularly. What dance could they do in D.C. worth seeing anyway? Go-go?
quote:
This Khama has been known to condemn Mugabe for so-called "rights violations" in Zimbabwe yet sees nothing wrong with welcoming a messenger from his half-caste kin who is bombing Libya on behalf of a bunch of Benghazi racists who are killing blacks in Libya. Well, what else do you expect from a xenophobic--against Africans--diamond patch in Southern Africa.
Botswana xenophobic? No argument from me there. Their borders are not very friendly at all.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know that the neoliberal policy of "allowing foreign investment" forces open the tarif gates of almost all African countries, so it almost 100% certain that the cutting and polishing of diamonds in Botswana would be some Euro or Asian offshore company.

What I mean is that the "final product" that you would find in Antwerp and Tel Aviv, on show in London or Paris--as "a girl's best friend", is not what Botswana is doing, but should be doing.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Zuma sent some low-ranking minister(Prisons or Corrections?) to meet her and just said he was too busy. At least he grew a small pair on this.

Mr Zuma was out of the country for the first day... and although he returned on Monday night, aides said he was "not available" to meet her.

Instead ... he arranged for one of his three wives, Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma, to meet her briefly on Tuesday.

... and Mrs Obama had rejected the offer of a meeting at 9am on Wednesday because she was making a speech in Soweto.

http://www.canada.com/news/Zuma+snubs+Michelle+Obama+South+Africa+visit/4983491/story.html

Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Assata speaks

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/afrikan-world-news/26662-jacob-zuma-marries-fourth-wife-azania-3.html

Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Well, Michelle tried to bit back, but truly pathetic. As I said, she was sent over to South Africa to have tea with Zuma to smooth him out so that he could get back on the bus.

But BHO lost out on this one. Zuma deliberately snubbed the message carrier.

Zuma made a mistake: how can you be rolled by some nonsensical half-and-half imposter to allow the bombing of a nation that poured resources into South Africa to fight Apartheid. Libya also put funds for Zuma's rape trial.

Furthermore the jackass Obama keeps repeating the nonsense a bout protecting civilians when his boys in Benghazi are deliberately and selectively slaughtering Africans--in Africa.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree. This visit is about the destruction of Libya and regime change. He sent his wife and daughter (looking bored and down on her expensive shoes saying "thank god I'm not one of you barefoot exotics") as a distraction from the real mission. Smart guy.
quote:
aides said he was "not available" to meet her.
LOL he must be getting a lot of flack from progressive elements in SA to not want to meet her. SAs are conscious and smart enough to know the value of Gaddafi and ignore western propaganda. e.g. Mugabe was/is popular there despite western media efforts. But I think he will be pressured to meet privately, the Jew stooge Obama will not give up that easily.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:
e.g. Mugabe was/is popular there despite western media efforts. But I think he will be pressured to meet privately, the Jew stooge Obama will not give up that easily.

Mugabe is popular there? According to what?
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among the youth not apologists like you. "Botswana cut and polish diamonds" lol
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Among the youths not apologists like you. "Botswana cut and polish diamonds" lol

I see. My days of getting into moronic back and forths here are long gone. Feel free to babble on as an idiot though about a place you know little about outside of internet blurbs.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
By "non-Shona" neighbors are you referring to the ones who cooperated with the apartheid South African regime to destabilize the country in the 80s?

why did you edit your post? lol

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
By "non-Shona" neighbors are you referring to the ones who cooperated with the apartheid South African regime to destabilize the country in the 80s?

why did you edit your post? lol

It's obvious why I edited my post. Read my response. Also, I'm not aware of when north Ndebele, Venda, or Sotho were part of helping the aparthied regime, being victims of it themselves. Like I said, the oeverwhelming sentiment is that this old man needs to step down. That doesn't mean people are clamoring for Tsvangirai either.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
You are clearly anti-Mugabe. What does the need for democratic change or your portrayal of him as an insensitive tribalist have to do with the fact that he is seen in a positive light by the youth in a country that is still haunted by extremes of racial inequalities, especially where land is concerned?
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The family left Botswana Sunday morning, is due to arrive at the White House early Monday.

-

A successful trip, and did get a lot of good press on this trip. FLOTUS is an outstanding good will ambassador. There was a story each day on the news programs... all very positive.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
^ Obama's PR agent.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com