EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » early art depicting 12th cent The Almohad Dynasty, BERBERS /MOORS (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: early art depicting 12th cent The Almohad Dynasty, BERBERS /MOORS
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melchior7:

Yeah I'll be sure to call my local Library and see if they can put those books on hold.. [Big Grin]

Funny how your only response in sarcasm on going to a Library, which in the end proves you are just a Google scholar with no formal education on the topic at hand.

Guess the joke is on you.

quote:
.Um excuse me. But how the hell can you tell who is of Berber origns in a city like Algiers where people have been Arabized for several hundered years and mixed with who knows what?? Obviously you don't know as much about North Africa as you think you do.

Why are you asking me???... You were the one who is posting Mosaics from cities and claiming them as proof of how the Berbers looked. Im not the one who used Berbers living in the cites to prove my point, you did.... Did you forget that.

quote:
Yeah well most North Africans now identify as Arabs. Go figure.

Arab and the Arab identity is by and large a Language group. People who speak Arabic and worship an Arab religion see themselves as Arabs. Which is why you have people like the Janjaweed and other SSA claiming to Arabs. Which is why you had President Sedat claiming to Arab, and why Arabs were upset that an English speaking AA with no Arab blood played Sedat.(anyone in the West that claims Sedat did not look "Black" is delusional, but again in Arab society one drop of Arab blood makes one Bidan and thus Arab. the Pole opposite of the west).

quote:
Culture and langauge go hand in hand. The Arabs were small in number but they managed to convert many of the tribes to Islam. These tribes and clans managed to remain intact. But the Arabs dominated the urban centers and then Turks. To this day the Berber culture and langauge survives outside the cities.

Once again you are not answering my question. You claim the Urbanized Berbers who speak Latin or Arabic etc are not really Berbers so then why quote Ibn Bhutatta, why post your mosaics?? You have not answered this question, just off topic babble..

You get no argument from me about Rural Berbers, esp the Saharan Berbers whom Darker than the Coastal Berbers.

-

-

-

quote:
Easy, this was before the Vandals, Arabs etc. North Africans still dominated in the Roman provinces(compared to actual Roamns) Though some may have been mixed with Romans, we are a bit closer to what the original Berbers would have looked like, n'est ce pas? As opposed to looking for Berbers in cities today, where we have a mixture of Vandals, Arabs, Turks, Jews, Europans and Sub Saharan slaves.

The Romans migrated to the African Cities during this time.

How convenient for you, but sorry for you the Romans did migrate heavily to Africa. After all it was quite close...some info from Wiki...

People from all over the Empire migrated into the Roman Africa Province, most importantly merchants, traders, and mainly veterans in early retirement who settled in Africa on farming plots promised for their military service. Historians like Theodore Mommsen estimated that under Hadrian nearly 1/3 of the eastern Numidia population (roughly modern Tunisia) was descended from Roman veterans.

How does this square with your claim that Romanized Berbers living in cities don't represent real Berbers..

Explain..

quote:
No, the Majority of Berbers were never in the cities. That's why I question this notion that they absorbed so many White slaves. That's like a German immigrant coming to the states only to end up living among an Indian tribe, speaking Navajo!

So then what is the point of you posting the Moasics Garrig?? Explain yourself...

BTW, you might want to do some research on the level of European admixture in various Native Americans..The Cherokee come to mind but Many, Many Native Americans are heavily mixed today. Many native Americans have European admixture, Some like the Siminole have African admixture..etc.

I would say the pure ones are quite a Minority. And the Native Americans were put on Reservations, I don't recall this happeneing with the Berbers..

The Native Americans don't help your case here. The thing is this what happens when populations come into contact with each other they mix. Your desperate attempts at trying to make the Berbers a special case just proves your desperation, beacuase you know what it mean..

quote:
Yeah it was because it was taken over by The Byzantines which was actually part of the Eastern Roman Empire. They held on to North Africa and Egypt until Islamic invasions. If I remember right, the Byzantines may have moved into to Tunis area before Rome fell.

You may be right here, there could have been a period of instability some of the North African cities such as Vollibullis etc. were obviously abandoned. I might have to do more research on this. With Rome gone, even with Byzantium I doubt Africa had the same wealth and clout it did, until the Islamic era.

Im sure Migrations occured. Esp with invading Muslims etc.

quote:
Oh so they are not Black? So then how was Septimus a mulatto? I AM a Mulatto btw.

I don't think Septimius came from the Tribe that Juba did, I think he was a Moor not a Numidian.

This is what I picture the Numidians looking like..

-

-

Also, I do know you are a Mulatto, I remember this from topix.

quote:
You didn't, I thought you held that Numidians were Black.

It can go either way, the Bust of Juba II looks like an "Sahran" type African but the Busts of his father don't. I can't say either way I would have to judge off of Facial features alone.

quote:
Why would it hurt me? I would believe it if it could be proven without a doubt. But you are talking about something incredible, a major population replacement! I'm not sure if you realize the magnitude of this. But yeah North Africans mixed with Europeans often do take after the North African side though sometimes not. I lived in France and have seen this. I really don't want to have to go looking for pictures of mixed North Africans etc.

How is this "Incredible" I doubt the Berbers were very numerous at this time. You probably had trickles of Eurpean Immigrants to North African(and vice versa) cities. When the Berbers became Urbanized they mixed with non African Europeans who came in in a large scale. I don't think it was so drastic but a gradual change.

quote:
It would be interesting if you could show a current North African culture that has that kind of hairstyle. But seriously I am intereted in that figurine of the Mauri. Where did you find it, and can you post more?

I agree with this, It would be interesting. The Hair style on the man and the Moorish Calvary as well as the Moorish vases etc. reminds me of an Egyptian wig style. Oddly enough the only people who still sport this type of style are the Beja people of Egypt and Sudan. Not only did Berber as a language begin in the Eastern Desert but the Beja are Gentically linked to the Taureg. Go figure..

The image is from the British Museum

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe/b/bronze_figurine_of_a_moorish_c.aspx

Im looking for more, I hope there is more.

quote:
Ok, that can make sense. But we know that there were a lot of Black slaves brought into Morocco, especially under crazy ass Moulay Ismail.

I agree, Im not saying the African slaves had no impact, thats crazy talk but it would not be drastic. I just use the Barbary slavery to counter people who love to Bring up Translatlantic slavery.

quote:
I think that applies to to the males. I'm sure there were many offspring through the females. And how did they become racist?

I honestly don't know. At one time the Berbers both black and tawny and SSAs were united under tribes such as the Almoravids and Almohads. The Almohad Sultan "Al Mansur" had a SSA mother and was called the Black Sultan. I don't understand where this "Black Moors being inferior, White Moors being superior etc.

Here is my take but its my opinion take it with a grain of salt.

I believe the racism came from the influence of Persian and Arab writers who wrote that the Zanj were inferior due to the Zanj revolt. This is the time when the "Curse of Ham" is being introduced into Islam. This idea that the black sons of Ham is picked by scholars from Basra and the Bhagdad etc. to include all blacks not just the Zanj.

Second after the fall of Old Ghana some of the Tribes in Mauritania were not Militarily superior and were conquered by the Mixed Arabs and Berbers and Muwalladun fleeing Andalucia. In any other circumstance the Mauritanians would be just subjugated for being Millitarily inferior, but ass the influence of the Basra and Bhagdad scholars racist drivel and wha-la...Blacks(Mauritanians or Old Ghana) are inferior and should be slaves...blah blah.

What is interesting is that in Old Ghana, even Mali and Songhai you had SSA ruling over and probaly subjugating Berbers, although its obvious they were not treated as inferiors or persecuted.

BTW, I read a good article on the Invasion of Songhai by the Morrocan Sultan. Evidently he had Good relations with Songhai and Bornu. He had wanted to to add Songhai and Borneu to Morocco to counter the Ottomans. He sent letters and obviously did not see the SSA empires as inferior. It was a great read for anyone wishing to understand the North African/SSA relationship, specifically Mali and Morocco and how ONE dumb war against each other ended their Prestige and Clout in the Islamic world..

http://www.historycooperative.org/proceedings/interactions/cory.html

Now as far as the Modern Racism its obviously inspired by European and Western mentality.

Now can you visualize these contrasts? Would you not agree that discription is still true to form to this very day. With Sudanese (their Ethiopians) being darkest, folks from India, second darkest, Egyptians being in the middle, and other North Africans like Tunisans, Algerians etc being the lightest? Doesn't sound like much has changed to me.

I don't know I think by the Lightest I envision a Sahran type person, Lighter than most Africans but dark enough to included with blacks.

this is what I envision...

http://f.imagehost.org/0879/09-03-06_07_33_10.jpg

http://images.allocine.fr/medias/nmedia/00/02/29/42/ph1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/2501863388_ba81ef8c53_b.jpg

[/QB][/QUOTE]Are you talking as far back as early neolithic?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Possibly but again it was small scale almost insignifigant. It would take a long time to see any drastic change at first. You begin to see their impact during Egypt's new Kingdom but were probably still a Minority until later times, probably during the Middle Ages late Roman era they became the Majority.

quote:
But remember historical records show that the Berbers moved southward during the Arab invasions. I already argue this point with the Explorer on another thread. This means there origins were not from these areas. And who lived in thses areas before the Berbers migrated there???...Blacks. And if they look Black Today is it really surprising?

Well what about the Garamantes??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garamantes

These people were inhabiting the Sahrah before
the Arabs came.

quote:
Also I believed you mentioned somewhere else that the Tuaregs orginate with the Garamantes which I agree with. Now Herodutus says there were two different groups.

"Herodotus in his “the Histories” described two types of northern Africans: the light skinned Garamentes of northern Libya and the dark-skinned, “Trogdolyte Ethiopians” in the southern Fezzan and northeast Africa"

Now I will be honest. I have heard many say that the Tuaregs were orignally light skiined and you can see they do have some mixture. But i also know that there was a Black culture deep in the Fezzan were a Black mummy was found...earlier than any Egyptian mummy. This area is generally associated with Tuaregs. So maybe they are a fusion of two differnt peoples.

The Taureg are still lightskinned as compared to other Africans, and the Garamantes were described as Athipies meaning blacks.

Here is something interesting from Snowden..

http://books.google.com/books?id=KWHMc-jNzlwC&pg=PA9&dq=ethiopians+garamantes&hl

-

I think the Taureg still resemble how the Garamantians looked. Some are Dark most are light skinned.

How would you classify someone like this according to Classical standards..

http://www.frenchcreoles.com/@ARM775~Young-Berber-Girl-Posters.jpg

http://www.transafrika.org/media/Nordafrika/berber07.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiVNDIqY2W_OKhHzKFrIAUYiZrKbuyAZyfbxS1n9v6uwW4Ugne73GxBU2KJQ

again I think they would have had darker folks like they do today.

Posts: 8812 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Uh oh, the Black Knight's back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
"Moorish Cavalry", Trajan's Column.
At a closer view we see the poor condition it's in.
It's crumbling on the faces, including their noses and all over generally with numerous holes as well.

-

^^^ show me the tribe in Africa where men have their hair in these very thick dreads or curls (no way to tell which) plus show me the same people with big full beards.
 -

^^^ look a the beard, this is not tightly coiled afro type hair.

-

^^^ Look at this hair. It's thick choppy straight hair. This hair matches the bearded Juba I above. Therefore this is the natural state of Juba I's hair.

-
 -

^^^^ look at the beard, you're telling me this is indigenous African?

.  -

^^^ look at this. It's Syphax. He was one of the Numidian kings about 150 years before Juba I. He looks very Roman.
Look at several of these Numidians. They simply don't look African.
Look at Tureg, Fulani, etc. They look nothing like this

Posts: 43045 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In the third and fourth centuries A.D., this southward migration was intensified by the arrival of Berber groups from the north who were searching for pasturage or fleeing political anarchy and war. The wide-ranging activities of these turbulent Berber warriors were made possible by the introduction of the camel to the Sahara in this period. This first wave of Berber invaders subjugated and made vassals of those Bafour who did not flee south. Other Berber groups followed in the seventh and eighth centuries, themselves fleeing in large numbers before the Arab conquerors of the Maghrib."

What evidence does the author(s) cite for the fleeing of the "Bafours"?

And let me get this straight: Some "Berbers" decided to stick it out in the coastal north and fight the intruding Arabs, but the ancestors of "Moors" and the Kel Tamasheq, who are known to be effective warriors, decided to flee?

The Kel Tamasheq were one of the people the Europeans feared in West Africa, by some European accounts themselves of the time, when the Europeans had their eyes set on colonizing African lands. Did you know that?

Furthermore, your source suggests that the "Berbers" were willing to face the Bafours in armed conflict, having access to camels, but not have the guts to face invading Arabs?

By making this sort of argument, do you realize that you are saying "Berbers" of the coastal north, who would have otherwise been sedentary before the Arab invasions, moved southward and became the nomads of the Sahel and Sahara for the remainder of their existence?

quote:

You are asking to me research this when you likely already have the answers.

I know I have answers, but I don't know that you do, considering your theories of how the "Moors" and Kel Tamasheq groups came be where they are.

quote:
You miss the point. The only way you can have people so light is if they have married among themselves. Intermediate? Are you now implying that North Tamazight groups are inherently lighter? Actaully the indiginous Of Mauretania are mostly Black.
Oh, I understood your point alright. I just don't buy it. By the extreme north Tamazight speakers, I'm referring to the likes of the Kabyle, who have a reputation in "western" academia of having extensive gene flow with Iberian females. There are a lot of "light-skinned" folks among them. So, it shouldn't be surprising, when some "Moors" of Mauritania are a bit on the light side in pigmentation, considering that they exchange genes with Tamazight speakers further north, who have a lot of "light-skinned" individuals in their midst.

quote:
The light skinned Folks who maintain their distinct pehenotype claim that they are descendants of the Moors and Arabs.
Well then there you go. They are admitting that they have "mixed" heritage, which could very well speak to skin tones. [Smile]
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still waiting for citations putting the origin of Berber tongues in the mouths an cultures of Rome, Spain, Greece or Turkey, ie any part of Eurasia. And on top of that, citations for the Eurasian populations that introduced those tongues to Africa. Barring that, no degree of mixture in North Africa is proof of the Eurasian origin of Berber language and culture. Berber language and culture is simply an extension of Afroasiatic adapted to a pastoral nomadic lifestyle in the desert and scrubland of Northern Africa. That pastoral nomadic lifestyle developed purely within Africa as a result of thousands of years of fluctuations in the wet/dry phases of the Sahara. Those are fully attested and documented facts along with the movements of Africa blacks from the South, West, East and North of the Sahara. Hence, no need for "Eurasians" to introduce African culture to Africans.

And it is funny that the OP has still not found any actual pictures from the time of the berbers in the Almoravid and Almohad armies from the 12th century AD.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah well most North Africans now identify as Arabs. Go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:

Arab and the Arab identity is by and large a Language group. People who speak Arabic and worship an Arab religion see themselves as Arabs. Which is why you have people like the Janjaweed and other SSA claiming to Arabs. Which is why you had President Sedat claiming to Arab, and why Arabs were upset that an English speaking AA with no Arab blood played Sedat.(anyone in the West that claims Sedat did not look "Black" is delusional, but again in Arab society one drop of Arab blood makes one Bidan and thus Arab. the Pole opposite of the west).

*Sadat was of Nubian descent. Meaning from the South.

*North Africans are predomantly Arabized.

Posts: 22249 | From: Omni | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melchior7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how your only response in sarcasm on going to a Library, which in the end proves you are just a Google scholar with no formal education on the topic at hand.

Guess the joke is on you.

Don’t know why you say that. I get my information from where ever I can. I got tons of books at home on a variety of subjects but most of the stuff is outdated. As for my education I am a History major but currently pursuing a graduate degree in something totally unrelated. No, I am not a geneticist or Anthropologist, my profession is far from any of that. But I have always been interested in anthropolgy and archaeology since I was a kid. But as you know information is always coming in, theories are constantly being revised etc. If you want to stay a breast, you can’t really on yesterday’s books. Of course I will go online to find new information using Google or whatever. I can get ten times the information I could ever get from books. Thank God for the internet.

Ok this is a digression. But for the record I believe Sadat did have Sudanese ancestry. His mother was Nubian Sudanese. So he was Black.

Once again you are not answering my question. You claim the Urbanized Berbers who speak Latin or Arabic etc are not really Berbers so then why quote Ibn Bhutatta, why post your mosaics?? You have not answered this question, just off topic babble..

Ibn Batutta was surveying different regions of Africa. He was describing the different tribes he encountered. He was not talking about urbanized Berbers.
The Mosaics give us a snapshot of North Africans 2000 years ago before the Arabs and Vandals. We should see images of very dark skinned natives if they were originally Black

The Romans migrated to the African Cities during this time.

How convenient for you, but sorry for you the Romans did migrate heavily to Africa. After all it was quite close...some info from Wiki...

one third.. meaning the majority were likely Native North Africans who would have been employed in various fields throught the region. Is there any reason to believe that their images would not show up on the mosaics?

So then what is the point of you posting the Moasics Garrig?? Explain yourself...

There were a good many in the cities I’m sure but the majority lived in the foothills of the Aures Mountains where Kabyles and Shawiya came from.

BTW, you might want to do some research on the level of European admixture in various Native Americans..The Cherokee come to mind but Many, Many Native Americans are heavily mixed today. Many native Americans have European admixture, Some like the Siminole have African admixture..etc.

That isn’t the point. The reference is to European Slaves. Algeria, Morocco etc in during the time of the Barbary pirates were regions were Arabs and Turks dominated. Their influence was in the cities. If slaves were caught you would expect them to forced to convert to Islam and Arabic culture as many of the many of the historical anecdotes tell us, which you yourself have read. It certainly seems strange that many Europeans slaves would end up in some rural villages speaking Berber. How could they afford them? How could they compete with the Pashas??? Someone said the dress and customs of these Berbers resemble those of people in the Balkans or Albania. How can this be, if most of the slaves came from Spain and France? The Berbers have more people with fair traits than those in the cities whom we know have some European slave ancestry. How do we explain that? Also if so much of the European DNA is Iberian, why do some groups of Berbers show a greater tendency toward Blond traits than folks in Spain??

I would say the pure ones are quite a Minority. And the Native Americans were put on Reservations, I don't recall this happeneing with the Berbers..

The Berbers have their own regions and communities, though not nationally protected like reservations.

I don't think Septimius came from the Tribe that Juba did, I think he was a Moor not a Numidian. This is what I picture the Numidians looking like..

Ok they look mixed with Black, definitely. They look like Southern Egyptians.

How is this "Incredible" I doubt the Berbers were very numerous at this time. You probably had trickles of European Immigrants to North African(and vice versa) cities. When the Berbers became Urbanized they mixed with non African Europeans who came in in a large scale. I don't think it was so drastic but a gradual change.

Well it doesn’t look like the Romans affected their phenotype much. Remember many on here believe that the Moors were Black when they invaded Spain. Many disagree with the quotes of Ibn Batutta from the 14th century about light Berbers. So essentially you are looking at most of North Africa going from Black to light skinned somewhere between 1400 and 1800, I guess. Dana says there were no Eurasian looking Berbers before the 16th century. Such a racial change over so vast a region is quite drastic to say the least.

And if so many of the Berbers have mostly kept to themselves, and their Y dna is E and their Iberian mtDNA dates back to early Neolithic, then the European slave theory doesn’t work very well.

I agree with this, It would be interesting. The Hair style on the man and the Moorish Calvary as well as the Moorish vases etc. reminds me of an Egyptian wig style. Oddly enough the only people who still sport this type of style are the Beja people of Egypt and Sudan. Not only did Berber as a language begin in the Eastern Desert but the Beja are Gentically linked to the Taureg. Go figure.

I believe there was a migration toward the East as well when the Sahara dried up which came to bear on Egypt and the Sudan. Look at this.

“An Italian team of archaeologists first explored the Libyan Sahara almost fifty years ago. In 1958 they struck gold. Professor Fabrizio Mori discovered the black mummy at the Uan Muhuggiag rockshelter. The mummy of a young boy, Uan Muhuggiag was destined for controversy. He was older than any comparable Egyptian mummy and his mere existence challenged the very idea that Egyptians were the first in the region to mummify their dead. Although the Italian team from the university of Rome “La Sapienza”, has since discovered other mummified tissue, they have not yet discovered another complete mummy in the region. But Uan Muhuggiag was no one off. The sophistication of his mummification suggested he was the result of a long tradition of mummification. Investigations in the area continue under the direction of Dr Savino di Lernia and Professor Mario Liverani.”

Now as far as the Modern Racism its obviously inspired by European and Western mentality.

Yeah that is true.

I don't know I think by the Lightest I envision a Sahran type person, Lighter than most Africans but dark enough to included with blacks.

this is what I envision...

http://f.imagehost.org/0879/09-03-06_07_33_10.jpg

http://images.allocine.fr/medias/nmedia/00/02/29/42/ph1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/2501863388_ba81ef8c53_b.jpg

I think that is closer maybe some a little lighter. But that is what some would refer to as Middle Eastern looking.

Well what about the Garamantes??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garamantes

These people were inhabiting the Sahrah before
the Arabs came.
The Taureg are still lightskinned as compared to other Africans, and the Garamantes were described as Athipies meaning blacks.

Here is something interesting from Snowden..

http://books.google.com/books?id=KWHMc-jNzlwC&pg=PA9&dq=ethiopians+garamantes&hl

One thing. I think there is a lot differing claims from the Greek and Romans regarding North Africans when we look at all the quotes. Herodotus claims Garamantes were light distinguishing them from Ethiopians. Others claim Garamantes were the same as Ethiopians.

How would you classify someone like this according to Classical standards..

http://www.frenchcreoles.com/@ARM775~Young-Berber-Girl-Posters.jpg

http://www.transafrika.org/media/Nordafrika/berber07.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiVNDIqY2W_OKhHzKFrIAUYiZrKbuyAZyfbxS1n9v6uwW4Ugne73GxBU2KJQ

The girl looks like a mulatta, The old Man looks more Arabic, the boy looks Black. But here is a question, could folks who migrated from East Africa northwards have developed some kind of intermediate phenotype without being mixed?? Could the mountainous regions in North Africa during the last glacial maximum have been cold enough for North Africans to adopt light traits similar to Europeans?

--------------------
In the vast pasture of life you're bound to step in some truth.

Posts: 682 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melchior7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still waiting for citations putting the origin of Berber tongues in the mouths an cultures of Rome, Spain, Greece or Turkey, ie any part of Eurasia. And on top of that, citations for the Eurasian populations that introduced those tongues to Africa. Barring that, no degree of mixture in North Africa is proof of the Eurasian origin of Berber language and culture
Well then you will keep on waiting. I never heard of Berber language orginating from Europe. Though some may argue the reverse is true with Berber influencing some languages in Europe.

--------------------

Posts: 682 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member

And let me get this straight: Some "Berbers" decided to stick it out in the coastal north and fight the intruding Arabs, but the ancestors of "Moors" and the Kel Tamasheq, who are known to be effective warriors, decided to flee?

The Kel Tamasheq were one of the people the Europeans feared in West Africa, by some European accounts themselves of the time, when the Europeans had their eyes set on colonizing African lands. Did you know that?

Furthermore, your source suggests that the "Berbers" were willing to face the Bafours in armed conflict, having access to camels, but not have the guts to face invading Arabs?

By making this sort of argument, do you realize that you are saying "Berbers" of the coastal north, who would have otherwise been sedentary before the Arab invasions, moved southward and became the nomads of the Sahel and Sahara for the remainder of their existence?

Where would the coastal Berbers flee to? They have Atlas mountains to the south. Those who were already on the edges of the Sahara migrated South. But if you do not agree with this version of events then when do you think the Berbers migrated South?

Oh, I understood your point alright. I just don't buy it. By the extreme north Tamazight speakers, I'm referring to the likes of the Kabyle, who have a reputation in "western" academia of having extensive gene flow with Iberian females. There are a lot of "light-skinned" folks among them. So, it shouldn't be surprising, when some "Moors" of Mauritania are a bit on the light side in pigmentation, considering that they exchange genes with Tamazight speakers further north, who have a lot of "light-skinned" individuals in their midst.

So would many of the Moors who invaded Spain have been folks on the light side of pigmentation as well?

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Still waiting for citations putting the origin of Berber tongues in the mouths an cultures of Rome, Spain, Greece or Turkey, ie any part of Eurasia. And on top of that, citations for the Eurasian populations that introduced those tongues to Africa. Barring that, no degree of mixture in North Africa is proof of the Eurasian origin of Berber language and culture. Berber language and culture is simply an extension of Afroasiatic adapted to a pastoral nomadic lifestyle in the desert and scrubland of Northern Africa. That pastoral nomadic lifestyle developed purely within Africa as a result of thousands of years of fluctuations in the wet/dry phases of the Sahara. Those are fully attested and documented facts along with the movements of Africa blacks from the South, West, East and North of the Sahara. Hence, no need for "Eurasians" to introduce African culture to Africans.

And it is funny that the OP has still not found any actual pictures from the time of the berbers in the Almoravid and Almohad armies from the 12th century AD.

Alfonso X of the next is the closet thing we have.
If Berber originated in African does not mean that it was not developed by migrants. I said "if". The Proto Berber spilt may have been as recent as 3,000 years. Some of the migrants may have setteled into previously unihabited areas in the Atlas and therefore be the first people in some areas, therefore indigenous in that sense.
The earliest written records in rhe region are Punic.

Almohad Caliphate

The dynasty originated with Ibn Tumart, a member of the Masmuda, a Berber tribe of the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Ibn Tumart was the son of a lamplighter in a mosque and had been noted for his piety from his youth. In his early life, he performed the hajj to Mecca, whence he was expelled on account of his severe strictures on the laxity of others, and thence wandered to Baghdad, where he attached himself to the school of the orthodox doctor al-Ash'ari.
Al-Andalus followed the fate of Africa. Between 1146 and 1173, the Almohads gradually brought the various principalities under Almoravid rule under their control. The Almohads transferred the capital to from Cordoba to Seville, a step followed by the founding of the great mosque, the tower of which, The Giralda, they erected in 1184 to mark the accession of Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur.

List of Almohad caliphs (1121–1269)

Ibn Tumart 1121–1130
Abd al-Mu'min 1130–1163
Abu Ya'qub Yusuf I 1163–1184
Abu Yusuf Ya'qub al-Mansur 1184–1199
Muhammad an-Nasir 1199–1213
Abu Ya'qub Yusuf II 1213–1224
Abd al-Wahid I 1224
Abdallah al-Adil 1224–1227
Yahya 1227–1235
Idris I 1227–1232
Abdul-Wahid II 1232–1242
Ali 1242–1248
Umar 1248–1266
Idris II 1266–1269

almohad architecture
 -

-
 -

By 698 the Arabs had conquered most of North Africa from the Byzantines. The area was divided into three provinces: Egypt with its governor at al-Fustat, Ifrikquiya with its governor at Kairouan, and the Maghreb (modern Morocco and Mauritania) with its governor at Fes.
Musa bin Nusair, a successful Yemeni general in the campaign, was made governor of Ifrikquiya and given the responsibility of putting down a renewed Berber rebellion and converting the population to Islam. Musa and his two sons prevailed over the rebels and enslaved 300,000 captives. The caliph's portion was 60,000 of the captives. These the caliph sold into slavery, the proceeds from their sale going into the public treasury. Another 30,000 captives were pressed into military service.

Posts: 43045 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Where would the coastal Berbers flee to? They have Atlas mountains to the south. Those who were already on the edges of the Sahara migrated South. But if you do not agree with this version of events then when do you think the Berbers migrated South?

While I'd like to consider your questions, which are supplied instead of answers, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to establish these southward flee of "Berbers" took place in the first place, and that it is the only reason why the "Moors" of Mauritania and the Kel Tamasheq (Tuaregs) are where they now live, shouldn't it? Answering my questions is a good way to getting that taken care of.

quote:
So would many of the Moors who invaded Spain have been folks on the light side of pigmentation as well?
Were they?
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Were they?

I believe so some early sources mention that some of the bafor were very light.

"It emerges from archaeolgical excavations and oral trraditions that in certain parts of the Western Sahara alongside the nomad population, there were also groups of agriculturalists whose descendants have survived to the present day. According to some portuguese sources they belonged to two groups. The white agriculturalists were known as the Baffor or Abofur (in local traditions Bafur) and the black agriculturalists as the Barbar (Barbara, Barabir, Barbaraos) who were related to the Soninke."
Africa from the seventh to the eleventh century by Ivan Hrbek

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melchior if you knew that before hand then why did you spend much bandwidth trying to make the dark-skinned Moors out to be slaves.

quote:
I believe so some early sources mention that some of the bafor were very light. "It emerges from archaeolgical excavations and oral trraditions that in certain parts of the Western Sahara alongside the nomad population, there were also groups of agriculturalists whose descendants have survived to the present day. According to some portuguese sources they belonged to two groups. The white agriculturalists were known as the Baffor or Abofur (in local traditions Bafur) and the black agriculturalists as the Barbar (Barbara, Barabir, Barbaraos) who were related to the Soninke." Africa from the seventh to the eleventh century by Ivan Hrbek

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:
Were they?

"It emerges from archaeolgical excavations and oral trraditions that in certain parts of the Western Sahara alongside the nomad population, there were also groups of agriculturalists whose descendants have survived to the present day. According to some portuguese sources they belonged to two groups. The white agriculturalists were known as the Baffor or Abofur (in local traditions Bafur) and the black agriculturalists as the Barbar (Barbara, Barabir, Barbaraos) who were related to the Soninke."

One: Earlier, you painted the Bafour/Bafor as the original inhabitants of Mauritania and ancestors of "black Africans" pushed southward by retreating "Berbers", whom you tried to portray as originally "white".

Now, you cite a source, to claim that they were "very light", while the source uses the term "white".

Which is it?

Two: On the other hand, your source essentially refers to the "black" group as "Berbers". Does that not shoot down your originally "white" Berber thingy?

Three: Do you consider the "Bafor" as "Moors"?

melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for melchior7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One: Earlier, you painted the Bafour/Bafor as the original inhabitants of Mauritania and ancestors of "black Africans" pushed southward by retreating "Berbers", whom you tried to portray as originally "white".

And can you imagine my surprise when I discoverd that book that says that the Bafur where tadionally held to be light??

Now, you cite a source, to claim that they were "very light", while the source uses the term "white".

Which is it?

Well I'm trying not to be too abrasive. The term White tends get a knee jerk reaction around here. Lol!

Two: On the other hand, your source essentially refers to the "black" group as "Berbers". Does that not shoot down your originally "white" Berber thingy?

That is but one group. And we are talking about Mauritania. Further down in the passage the author mentions that he believes the Bafor were descended of Berbers too, the Zenata.

Three: Do you consider the "Bafor" as "Moors"?

Some of theem likely contributed to the Moorish invasion of Spain at some point.

Now where is your take on all of this??

Everybody was kung fu fighting... [Cool]

melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Melchior if you knew that before hand then why did you spend much bandwidth trying to make the dark-skinned Moors out to be slaves.

I don't say they were all slaves. My point is that majority of Moors who invaded Spain weren't Blacks. [Smile]

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
We know what's going on we told you from three pages ago, no one here was making a case for Black only Moors,it's your insistence in trying to remove

wrong, Doug and dana DO argue the Moors and Berbers were exclusively "black"

whatever black means exactly (anything you want it to basically)

notice my question about the half million descendants of Carthage has her lips sealed

Carthaginian descendants - do you mean the Vandal ones? [Confused]
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Were they?

How many times do i have to mention what white means in Africa.

White Africans refers to people like the Haratin, Fulani, along with Tuareg, Hassan, Trarza Moor,etc. Some Somali still calls them white men in Africa just as certain Chinese texts refer to the white faces of Somalis.

Stop spreading lies about Africans.

The Almohad dynasty was founded by the Masmuda still mostly dark brown in color and the Sanhaja still mostly dark brown in color though the smith castes among this group is blacker. All of the castes of the Sanhaja were teh bulk of the Almuhade and AlMurabid'un dynasties.

These same people who are mentioned as dragging the European slaves through the desert by their necks and who have absorbed those Europeans. Now you are trying to pretend like there is some question of whom the founders of the Almoravid and later dynasties were.

There were no other Berber people involved but these people whom the Spaniards called black - as witnessed in Primera Cronica where Nugaymath the Tuareg leader of the Almoravid seige of Valencia "star of the Targiyat (Tuareg) archers" and her followers are called black Amazons.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

I don't say they were all slaves. My point is that majority of Moors who invaded Spain weren't Blacks. [Smile]

Of course the Zenata, Masmuda, Kitama, Sanhaja were the majority of the Moors who invaded Spain. The "Moorish Arabs" or Arabians were the other blacks who invaded Spain.

If you want to pretend that these people were white when the early Near Easterners called them the blacks go right ahead.

"Their color is mostly black though some pale ones can be found among them. If you can find one whose mother is of Kutama, whose father is of Sanhaja, and whose origin is Masmuda, then you will find her naturally inclined to obedience and loyalty in all matters… “ 11th century Ibn Butlan

"Ham, having become black because of a curse pronounced against him by his father, fled to the Maghrib to hide in shame.... Berber, son of Kesloudjim [Casluhim], one of his descendants, left numerous posterity in the Maghrib" Ibn Khaldun on the common explanation of why all Berbers were black.

“Masamida were Berbers from the Western Maghreb. Nasir-i Khusrau, however, says that they were blacks and characterized them as infantry who used lances and swords” (Lev, p. 342). Nasir Khusrau, orn in Central Asia (Balkh, Khorasan), lived in the 11th century.

Moors, Berbers, Nubians, Egyptians, Indi, Habesh, Arabians were all the same color ranging from copper brown to deep black and were once the same populations. At one time or another all were considered of "Ethiopian" origin.

No where to run and no where to hide.

Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

quote:
I believe so some early sources mention that some of the bafor were very light. "It emerges from archaeolgical excavations and oral trraditions that in certain parts of the Western Sahara alongside the nomad population, there were also groups of agriculturalists whose descendants have survived to the present day. According to some portuguese sources they belonged to two groups. The white agriculturalists were known as the Baffor or Abofur (in local traditions Bafur) and the black agriculturalists as the Barbar (Barbara, Barabir, Barbaraos) who were related to the Soninke." Africa from the seventh to the eleventh century by Ivan Hrbek

Because he is a liar from the cradle to the grave.
Posts: 22249 | From: Omni | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member

White Africans refers to people like the Haratin, Fulani, along with Tuareg, Hassan, Trarza Moor,etc. Some Somali still calls them white men in Africa just as certain Chinese texts refer to the white faces of Somalis.

Did you not read that it was the Portuguse who called them White??? Did they defer to your African definitions too.

Adn as far as I'm concerned your claims are mostly bunk. Ibn Batutta was a Berber who defintely looked caucasian.

-

When he went to Africa and talked about where the land of the Blacks began and White men shouldn't eat certain African foods, that was clearly a racial reference and there is very little you can do, to spin or lie your way around it.

The Almohad dynasty was founded by the Masmuda still mostly dark brown in color and the Sanhaja still mostly dark brown in color though the smith castes among this group is blacker. All of the castes of the Sanhaja were teh bulk of the Almuhade and AlMurabid'un dynasties.

If you notice when ever you see pictures of these Black masmuda they often look like West Africans which they have asorbed. And though some are still light with straight or wavy hair which reveals their original Eurasian phenotype.

-

There were no other Berber people involved but these people whom the Spaniards called black - as witnessed in Primera Cronica where Nugaymath the Tuareg leader of the Almoravid seige of Valencia "star of the Targiyat (Tuareg) archers" and her followers are called black Amazons.

The Almoravids brought Blacks from Senegal and Mali.

"Yusef had crossed over into al-Andalus and also achieved victory at the Battle of az-Zallaqah, also known as the Battle of Sagrajas in the west. He came to al-Andalus with a force of 15,000 men, armed with javelins, daggers, most of his soldiers carried two swords, shields, cuirass of the finest leather and animal hide, as well as drummers for psychological combat. Yusef's cavalry was said to have included 6,000 shock troops from Senegal mounted on white Arabian horses."

See it's all documented. Blacks were from Sub Sahara and most were not Berbers,

--------------------

melchior7
Member # 18960

Rate Member
Of course the Zenata, Masmuda, Kitama, Sanhaja were the majority of the Moors who invaded Spain. The "Moorish Arabs" or Arabians were the other blacks who invaded Spain.

What?? So the Arabs were all Blacks too??? Do people on here really believe this woman?

Moors, Berbers, Nubians, Egyptians, Indi, Habesh, Arabians were all the same color ranging from copper brown to deep black and were once the same populations. At one time or another all were considered of "Ethiopian" origin.

Oh ok. So how did the Arabians get their current Eurasian/Semitic traits?? Was that the result of fcuking one million White slaves too? [Roll Eyes]

And Khaldun likened North Africans compexion to people in Spain.

"The human inhabitants of these zones are more temperate in their bodies, color, character qualities... Such are the inhabitants of the Maghrib, of Syria, the two 'Iraqs, Western India, and China, as well as of Spain; also the European Christians nearby, the Galicians, and all those who live together with these peoples or near them in the three temperate zones." [Eek!]

Don't need to, cuz all your Black Moorish Arabians, Zenata, Sanhaja whatever storming Spain is just a figment of your imagination. Me, I live in the real world. [Smile]

Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

But if the had the same complexion, why did Spanish call them differently, like Moor?

I assume you do have names and places where Khaldun went. Did he speak of tribes etc...?

And since you live in the real world, can you provide the original Arabic texts, by Khaldun.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

What?? So the Arabs were all Blacks too??? Do people on here really believe this woman?

Oh ok. So how did the Arabians get their current Eurasian/Semitic traits?? Was that the result of fcuking one million White slaves too? [Roll Eyes]

"The human inhabitants of these zones are more temperate in their bodies, color, character qualities... Such are the inhabitants of the Maghrib, of Syria, the two 'Iraqs, Western India, and China, as well as of Spain; also the European Christians nearby, the Galicians, and all those who live together with these peoples or near them in the three temperate zones." [Eek!]

Don't need to, cuz all your Black Moorish Arabians, Zenata, Sanhaja whatever storming Spain is just a figment of your imagination. Me, I live in the real world. [Smile]

Funny you should mention Ibn Khaldun who apparently wasn't specifically talking about Berbers in the above paragraph.

Here is what he writes about the explanation given by most people in his day of why Berbers in WERE BLACK, “Ham, having become black because of a curse pronounced against him by his father, fled to the Maghrib to hide in shame.... Berber, son of Kesloudjim [Casluhim], one of his descendants, left numerous posterity in the Maghrib” (Smith, 2003, Smith, R. (2003). “What happened to the ancient Libyans? Chasing sources
across the Sahara from Herodotus to Ibn Khaldun,” Journal of World History 14:4, page 482.

Nice try though. [Wink]

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

Did you not read that it was the Portuguse who called them White??? Did they defer to your African definitions too.

Adn as far as I'm concerned your claims are mostly bunk. Ibn Batutta was a Berber who defintely looked caucasian.

-

When he went to Africa and talked about where the land of the Blacks began and White men shouldn't eat certain African foods, that was clearly a racial reference and there is very little you can do, to spin or lie your way around it.

If you notice when ever you see pictures of these Black masmuda they often look like West Africans which they have asorbed. And though some are still light with straight or wavy hair which reveals their original Eurasian phenotype.

-

"Yusef had crossed over into al-Andalus and also achieved victory at the Battle of az-Zallaqah, also known as the Battle of Sagrajas in the west. He came to al-Andalus with a force of 15,000 men, armed with javelins, daggers, most of his soldiers carried two swords, shields, cuirass of the finest leather and animal hide, as well as drummers for psychological combat. Yusef's cavalry was said to have included 6,000 shock troops from Senegal mounted on white Arabian horses."

THe Lamtuna were the modern Kel Aulamidden Tuareg of NIGER. Those were the Almoravids whether or not they brought other blacks with them or not. And whether you like it or not.

You are talking about Yusef the Tuareg who is either of noble or vassal stock. Tuareg are what they are and if you want to think of them as not East African in origin that is your prerogative.
Yes, Yusef - a dark brown skinned kinky haired African went with 15,000 of HIS PEOPLE and other black Africans into Andalusia.

Now you can tell me which tribe Battuta was from. [Razz]

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

[

Umm... no - all the Arabs aren't blacks. Only some of them - including the remnants of the original ones, just like they and the Syrians said they were. [Smile]

-

If you want me to post descriptions of ALL the original Arabians - again - before Arabia was "inundated by foreigners" - I will.

malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malibudusul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Hebrews not muslim!

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlsfrx41xo&list=UU9iub0kprywQo3YjfFACNmw&index=31&feature=plcp

-

Posts: 2922 | From: World Empire of the Black People | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
quote:

-

-

THe Lamtuna were the modern Kel Aulamidden Tuareg of NIGER. Those were the Almoravids whether or not they brought other blacks with them or not. And whether you like it or not.

You are talking about Yusef the Tuareg who is either of noble or vassal stock. Tuareg are what they are and if you want to think of them as not East African in origin that is your prerogative.
Yes, Yusef - a dark brown skinned kinky haired African went with 15,000 of HIS PEOPLE and other black Africans into Andalusia.

I forgot to mention that true islamic peoples other than Central Asians (TurkoPersians) never would have represented themselves in human form. it was against Islam. I doubt the many so-called depictions of Ibn Battuta were even done by people who saw him. I have seen many on line depictions none of which look alike.lol!
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

-

I forgot to mention that true islamic peoples other than Central Asians (TurkoPersians) never would have represented themselves in human form. it was against Islam. I doubt the many so-called depictions of Ibn Battuta were even done by people who saw him. I have seen many on line depictions none of which look alike.lol!
This isn't entirely true. Shi'a can have human forms in their art. Sunnis can not.
Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by malibudusul:
This is Hebrews not muslim!

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlsfrx41xo&list=UU9iub0kprywQo3YjfFACNmw&index=31&feature=plcp

-

THE OLDER FLAG OF MORROCO (used by Muslims)
 -

http://www.tingismagazine.com/review.php?reviewid=45

Fabric of Our Identity
By: Anouar Majid

Not long ago, I came across a thought-provoking article by Jamal Boudouma about the history of Morocco’s flag and our national hymn. If you go back to Issue No. 262 of the Moroccan weekly TelQuel, you will find out that it was General Lyautey who, through a dahir (royal decree) promulgated on November 17, 1917, gave the Moroccan flag the shape and colors with which we are now familiar. TelQuel doesn’t mention that the French added a mini tricolore on the upper left corner to indicate who were the actual rulers of the country at the time, but this detail is not the point of the article. The point is to show that prior to this period, the Moroccan flag sported not the five-pointed star (pentagram), but the Star of David (the hexagram known in Arabic as Khatam Suleyman and in Judaism as the Seal of Solomon). Morocco’s Semitic heritage, which it shares with Jews, was acknowledged on the most visible symbol of the nation, until French colonialists thought differently.

I consulted a major study of the flags of Islam and discovered that according to an old Spanish manuscript, a flag used in Morocco between the 11th and 13th centuries consisted of a white and black chessboard inside an all-red flag. It was an interesting compromise, indicating the various poles of commitment within the Andalusian-Moroccan sphere, with white referring to the Umayyads, black to the Abbasids, and red to the Fatimids, a Shiite group. By the 18th century, according to the political scientist and vexillologist Pierre C. Lux-Wurm, the black element had disappeared. (Vexillology, from the Latin vexillum, which, in Roman times, designated the standard of the army, is the study of flags.) The flag on a shipwrecked Moroccan ship displayed a red flag with two crossed white swords. By the 20th century, the Moroccan flag appeared with two gold-rimmed interlaced squares. Meanwhile, Abdelkrim Khattabi used a red flag with the white upper left part containing a crescent, while the red flag of the ephemeral Republic of Rif featured a white lozenge containing a crescent and the Star of David. The Star of David, in fact, was used in the Spanish zone of influence until 1956.

Reading more on the Seal of Solomon, or, as it later became known among the Ashkenazi Jews, the Star of David, one finds mutual influences in usage of this symbol among Jews and Muslims, as both sought to associate themselves with the legacy of the wise king Solomon (Shlomo, in Hebrew, which, as in Arabic, is associated with the term shalom, or peace), son of the other biblical figure, King David. Interestingly, it was the Alawite monarch, Sultan Moulay Suleyman (popularly known as Moulay Slimane in Morocco) who used the Seal of Solomon on the newly minted bronze coins in the late 18th century to add to the standard coin metals in the Islamic world--gold and silver--and, at the same time, protect the new money with the magical powers of his ancient namesake.
 -
Moulay Suleyman Sultanate, bronze coin

malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malibudusul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Muslims also used this symbol?
did not know.

Posts: 2922 | From: World Empire of the Black People | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
but you
not explained
why the harp is
written in
Hebrew.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
but you
not explained
why the harp is
written in
Hebrew.

-

-
O que estamos vendo aqui é um homem tocando uma harpa.
As cordas da harpa são realizadas pela ponte da harpa, um pedaço de madeira atravessando. No outro lado da ponte vemos as extremidades pequenas das cordas de suspensão para fora frouxamente. Bem parecido com letras hebraicas, mas eles não são letras hebraicas.
O narrador do vídeo quer estes mouros muçulmanos de serem judeus. Mas eles não são judeus.
Olhe para as duas últimas seqüências da esquerda. Eles ficam fora um pouco sobre o corpo do harpa. Estes não são cartas pintadas sobre o instrumento. Eles são apenas cadeias

What we are seeing here is a man playing a harp.
The harp strings are held by the bridge of the harp, a crossing piece of wood. On the other side of the bridge we see the small ends of the strings hanging out loosely. They look similar to Hebrew letters but they aren't Hebrew letters.
The narrator of the video wants these Muslim Moors to be Jews. But they aren't jews.
Look at the last two strings of the left. They hang off a little bit over the harp's body. These are not letters painted on the instrument. They are only strings

malibudusul
Member # 19346

Rate Member
Então
prove que
estas não são letras
do alfabeto hebraico.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Então
prove que
estas não são letras
do alfabeto hebraico.

levar 20 peças curtas de corda. Jogá-los no chão.
Você provavelmente encontrará algumas letras hebraicas e algumas letras de outras línguas diferentes.
Você pode encontrar a letra "C" em Inglês ou um "U".
Em seguida, perguntar-me a provar que não é a letra "C".

Você ganha é a letra "C"

parar de ser bobo, as cordas da harpa são realizadas por uma peça transversal e as extremidades dos fios são soltos sair do outro lado. Mas as pessoas preferem fantasiar e inventar histórias de que gostam. É besteira.

Enviar um enail a judaica ou um erudito árabe eles lhe dirão aqueles que não são cadeias de letras.
Então, o que se acidentalmente corresponde a uma letra hebraica,
absurdo

typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Então
prove que
estas não são letras
do alfabeto hebraico.

levar 20 peças curtas de corda. Jogá-los no chão.
Você provavelmente encontrará algumas letras hebraicas e algumas letras de outras línguas diferentes.
Você pode encontrar a letra "C" em Inglês ou um "U".
Em seguida, perguntar-me a provar que não é a letra "C".

Você ganha é a letra "C"

parar de ser bobo, as cordas da harpa são realizadas por uma peça transversal e as extremidades dos fios são soltos sair do outro lado. Mas as pessoas preferem fantasiar e inventar histórias de que gostam. É besteira.

Enviar um enail a judaica ou um erudito árabe eles lhe dirão aqueles que não são cadeias de letras.
Então, o que se acidentalmente corresponde a uma letra hebraica,
absurdo

your mind is mush. You typing something doesn't make it true. Proof i.e. from someone educated would help. Or if someone who knows Hebrew fluently can look and see if it actually says anything or not, that's how you prove it. You just typing dribble doesn't add anything of any real significance.
Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by typeZeiss:
your mind is mush. You typing something doesn't make it true. Proof i.e. from someone educated would help. Or if someone who knows Hebrew fluently can look and see if it actually says anything or not, that's how you prove it. You just typing dribble doesn't add anything of any real significance.

The burden of proof is on the person who claims that strings on a harp are supposed Hebrew letters (and doesn't even have a word claimed)
It's ridiculous, you can even see a couple of the strings danging off the end of the instrument.
The shapes are repeated anyway like nonsense, like this
LLLLL CCCCCC
end the retardation, thanks
Look up an ancient Hebrew expert, send an email
If you want to waste your time and mine

Here is the other item in the video:

-

The ornate soundhole of an Oud misconstrued as a Star of David.
(there are many variations and the painting is damaged)
Irrelevant anyway becasue I have already shown the use of the Seal of Solomon six pointed star sometimes by Muslims in earlier periods

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melchior,

LOL, you point out that "white" in Africa refers to certain groups. The neighbourhood I know best is one where Malinke and Peuls intermingle. Never ever have I heard a Peul refer himself/herself as "white". LOL. Amazing. In fact, the Peul world for "white man" is "porto"--which is used for any white.

The point is that in Africa people refer to themselves mainly in terms of ethnicity and nationality--not colour.

Even Mauritanians who are often of a fair/yellow colour are nver called "white"--that's a European intervention here--but rather as "Naah". They wear distinctive clothing and that's how they are recognised. They are not Arabs as some think and even some Naah want to identify with Arabia--with lies about their origins.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The burden of proof is on the person who claims that strings on a harp are supposed Hebrew letters (and doesn't even have a word claimed)
It's ridiculous, you can even see a couple of the strings danging off the end of the instrument.
LLLLL CCCCCC

-

Irrelevant anyway becasue I have already shown the use of the Seal of Solomon six pointed star sometimes by Muslims in earlier periods

We've had enough of your dribble.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

LLLLL CCCCCC

-

Again, you, a googling know nothing, who has proven time and again you have no concept of history or even how to use your mind properly, doesn't amount to anything. You said it isn't hebrew, you have done little to prove it, other than by using your demented mind, which is deficient. You have shown that time and again. Your lack of history is staggering. You do know there were jews in north africa and they even fought off the Arab invasion for some time? It isn't far fetched to think there may have been Black Jews in Spain at some point. Googling for five minutes to prove your point will never, and I mean never trump a true command of history.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Image of the Battle of Puig between Christians and Almohade Armies. Note the image of Saint George slaying a Moor in the center:

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90630388@N05/8241782677/lightbox/

A bigger version is here:
http://riowang.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-did-not-say-that.html

Another version:
 -
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Mural_battle_Puig_Saint_George_Hermitage.JPG

The symbolism of the flag of Saint George goes back to the fact that the Crown of Aragon had allied itself with the Holy See of the Christian church (in other words, asked for aid from other Christian kingdoms) against the Moors and often whenever they won a battle against the Moors they invoked the image of St. George Matamoros (the moor slayer) as the reason for their victory. The heads of the moors are representations of the heads of dead Moorish kings and/or soldiers.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Note also this later depiction of blacks fighting against Christians in the Monastery of Santa María de Valbuena in Spain (Valledolid)

-
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Valladolid_monasterio_Valbuena_36_iglesia_pintura_gotica_lou.jpg

A better image:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulayjesus/7614102504/in/set-72157631311804322/

Also on the idea of St. George slaying the dragon note the following:
 -
http://www.lessing-photo.com/dispimg.asp?i=10040529+&cr=10&cl=1

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
And the image of Horus slaying the dragon goes back to Set slaying the serpent (lower self):

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jankunst/7584060114/
Note the sun and crescent.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
[QB] Note also this later depiction of blacks fighting against Christians in the Monastery of Santa María de Valbuena in Spain (Valledolid)

-
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Valladolid_monasterio_Valbuena_36_iglesia_pintura_gotica_lou.jpg

A better image:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulayjesus/7614102504/in/set-72157631311804322/

1st picture, detail
 -

larger 2nd picture, detail
 -

I don't know why you would call a picture in heavy shadow "better" than one that is not in heavy shadow.

Clearly in the heavily shadowed 2nd picture we can see both dark skinned individauls and lighter skinned individuals.
How can you call this a depiction of blacks? At best the lighter skinned individuals are of unknown ethnicity.

It looks similar to the multi ethnic combination in this 13th century piece from Alfonso X

_________________________________________mourus________________
 -

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can European writers stated that the Moors were white when so many Spanish paintings and Church murals depicted them as black and metis.Great stela of Neter Set nickname Geoge(George) fighting Apophis.
Posts: 5376 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mena7:
How can European writers stated that the Moors were white when so many Spanish paintings and Church murals depicted them as black and metis.

I never heard a European writer say the Moors were white do you have a quote?

Historically "Moor" was not a word that people who got called that called themselves.
The Almoravid Moorish armies who invaded Spain were comprised of a mix of Berbers and other Africans and Arabs Some had dark skin others light brown or medium intermixed and called "Moors" by outsiders.
Look at Morocco. It's way at the top of Africa as far from the eqautor as the kalahari desert. Look at the San people in the Kalahari, ther are not heavily dark. On top of this nomadic people of North Africa have a long history of being mixed ethnically from before Muhammad was even born
The Europeans came up with the term "Moor" and to them it meant any light brown to dark brown Muslim who lived in Africa.

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name of George in St George come from Egyptian Neter Set nickname Geoge/Jeoje.The color of Set was blue and red.The red cross was the symbol of Set.Worshiper of Set paint there hair red to honor the sunSet.The name Palestine come from Peleset meaning worshiper or follower of Set(Astrotheology).Doug M nice Stela of Neter Set slaying the dragon Apepsi.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5376 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
ZENAGA (SANHAJA, SENAJER)
Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V28, Page 967 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.

quote:
ZENAGA (SANHAJA, SENAJER) , a Berber tribe of southern Morocco who gave their name to Senegal, once their tribal home . They formed one of the tribes which, uniting under the leadership of Yusef bin Tashfin, crossed the Sahara and gave a dynasty to Morocco and Spain, namely, that of the Almoravides (q.v.) . The Zeirid dynasty which supplanted the Fatimites in the Maghrib and founded the city of Algiers was also of Zenaga origin . The Zenaga dialect of Berber is spoken in southern Morocco and on the banks of the lower Senegal, largely by the negro population .
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/YAK_ZYM/ZENAGA_SANHAJA_SENAJER_.html#ixzz2IG4xaKy3
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoops pleez d lete me

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com