EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » why are some women in Egyptian art yellowish or beige yet others are brown? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: why are some women in Egyptian art yellowish or beige yet others are brown?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

why are some women in Egyptian art yellowish or beige yet others are brown?

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-

If yellow was symbolic for women's skin and the women who are painted light skinned, sometimes yellowish, were in fact as dark as reddish brown male figures standing next to them
why aren't all the wonen in all the art light skinned?

Either it's symbolism or some of the wives of Egyptian men were actually lighter skinned than their husbands.

.  -

Posts: 43002 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Hey. [Smile]
Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO it was symbolic and the association of Yellow with the feminine. How could it be the latter with the depiction of Royal Women as Dark Brown and in some cases the same color as their Husbands.

The only way I can say that is the Egyptians would associate Yellow with "beauty" but how can this be when Yellow was usually applied to dieties and Symbolic art, while Reddish Brown and Yellow Brown were applied to women in General..

Modern Day Yellow Brown Egyptians..

-

-

Posts: 8812 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^ you can have it both ways either it's symbolic or the women wer light skinned.
I raise the issue was symbolic then why are many of the women also shown darker brown?
I don't see how the symbolic explanation holds.
However some of the women dieties aren't mearly yellowish beige like some people actually are, and some portraits of Egyptian nobles are, some of the dieties are a pure yellow color, unnatural.
This is said to represent gold.

Posts: 43002 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xm
Member # 19601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UGG snowy area boots are all the rage the degree not to need saying that estimated that each person can know, http://uggclearance-ugg.net is because the UGG snowy area boots are too popular,ugg boots online, http://www.uggbootsoutletus.net now in the market appeared many have imitated,uggs boots
from the shoes. http://www.uggclearance-onsale.com The superficial touch is also quite exquisite soft, the shoes are also quite delicate fine. Inside the pile cloths is very neat, the density length is even, http://www.uggboots-outlet-ie.net feel is soft comfortably, the light foot puts on is comfortable. After more importantly puts on, will feel facilely, has not carried a heavy load the feeling. Quite warm
http://www.uggonclearance.net white snow boots (such as UGG5819 white wool boots) cleaning UGG5819 white wool yarn shoes are two ways one way is to hand wash shoes, first shoes with water to float gray wool wash with warm water amount of laundry washed powder (or other cleaning agents), http://uggbootsclearance-ie.net the wool soaked shoes at least 30 minutes (if the wool shoes dirty, you can soak some more time)

Posts: 138 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you see a statue of the woman and wife the woman is colored the Unnatural Yellow color, however in some tomb scenes women are shown as Yellow Brown..

-

-

The Unnatural Yellow is IMO symbolic while the Yellow Brown is a natural depiction of Yellow (What you would Call "Light Skinned" )Women..

-

-

-

-

-

-

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
^^^^ you can have it both ways either it's symbolic or the women wer light skinned.
I raise the issue was symbolic then why are many of the women also shown darker brown?
However some of the women dieties aren't mearly yellowish beige like some people actually are, and some portraits of Egyptian nobles are, some of the dieties are a pure yellow color, unnatural.

Posts: 8812 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Hathor and Neftertari
 -
______^^^^^ _____________^^^^^
Goddess yellow color_____Nertari, light brown
approximation of gold

-
woman not goddess
skin yellowish but not pure yellow, believable

As per features, at the top, the Goddess Hathor and Queen Nefertari they don't give me the impression of African people.
I don't feel they look like me or African descended people in general.

Look at this, Queen Hatshepsut
 -

^^^ be honest if you saw this person on the street you would't think it's an African person. It looks like a Middle Eastern or Mediterranean type.

when you see so much art like this ancient Egypt seems very mixed

now come after me with an axe

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Off course I would depending on dress,accent if she had one even neighborhood, she could be African African American,a Blacktino from the Caribbean,or a n Anglo African from the same area you oft claim you don't but you like to type cast African folks into phenotype not too different from Cassizoid as mixed or "Middle-eastern" without any proof, like Middle-easterners can't be three shades blacker than midnite.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

_______________the woman here looks does like a light skinned African

But there are several statues of Hatshepsut not looking African
here's another

-

no way does she look African in my book, sorry

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

why are some women in Egyptian art yellowish or beige yet others are brown?

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-

If yellow was symbolic for women's skin and the women who are painted light skinned, sometimes yellowish, were in fact as dark as reddish brown male figures standing next to them
why aren't all the wonen in all the art light skinned?

Either it's symbolism or some of the wives of Egyptian men were actually lighter skinned than their husbands.

.  -

Black women of light complexion are considered...not that its ok, or I agree with it. But ...
Posts: 22245 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You are wrong, it can get both ways. But your mind isn't able to comprehend.
Posts: 22245 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Hathor and Neftertari
 -
______^^^^^ _____________^^^^^
Goddess yellow color_____Nertari, light brown
approximation of gold

-
woman not goddess
skin yellowish but not pure yellow, believable

As per features, at the top, the Goddess Hathor and Queen Nefertari they don't give me the impression of African people.
I don't feel they look like me or African descended people in general.

-

^^^ be honest if you saw this person on the street you would't think it's an African person. It looks like a Middle Eastern or Mediterranean type.

when you see so much art like this ancient Egypt seems very mixed

You are retarded, that's why you posted months ago a picture of your stereotypical African. By then I knew you are a fake. Especially afther having seen so many pictures Africans with different traits from what you tend to "believe" an African is suppose to look.

And it will not be an axe. But much worse.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

_______________the woman here looks does like a light skinned African

But there are several statues of Hatshepsut not looking African
here's another

-

no way does she look African in my book, sorry

Your book is a book of retards for retards, irrelevant. Who doesn't even know where Nubia is. You speak of things you have no knowledge about. This is evident in your arguments. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Retard, have you ever been to the Temple of Hatshepsut?

I have entered places, which you will not reach.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do Taureg women paint their faces Yellow?

-

I have explained this so many time - its an innate concept of feminine beauty. Even our African American female stars are Yellow.

-

Then there's always modern day Egyptian female stars.

-

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mighty Mack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[qb]
 -

-

Middle Eastern or Mediterranean type?

Posts: 535 | From: From the Darkest of the Abyss | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sahel (Siptah):
quote:
[qb]
 -

-

very intertesting, she looks Middle Eastern or Mediterranean in one lighting condition and African from another, yes

Some other Hatshepsuts:

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

When I look at several Hatshepsut in some I get the impression of a non-African person, though her skin was probably brown

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the occasion. Sometimes the artist may choose to use the idealized yellow (likely symbolic of fertility) convention on female figures, and other times, the conventional Egyptian dark brown. These conventions are mostly seen on large statues or wall murals.

However: To adjudge which skin color convention truly captures that of the core ancient Egyptian population, the best avenue to turn to, is that of miniature sculptures depicting scenes of Egyptians engaging in daily occupational activities, as well as the same for royalty figures being accompanied by their entourage. In these miniature sculptures, every class of the society, be it royalty, men or women, they are all generally portrayed in dark brown (chocolate-like) skin color conventions. In these same miniatures, women just as men, are depicted engaging in routine occupational tasks both indoor and outdoor. This falsifies not only the notion that women are depicted in "yellowish" pigmentation on some wall murals because they stayed indoor, and so, retained their original "yellowish" skin coloration, but also that said "yellowish" pigmentation captures realism. Women are portrayed working indoors, and yet, still as dark brownish in skin coloration as their male counterparts.

Examples...

-

-

-

-
The women (wearing hair) are seen above midst head-shaven men.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I liked your second picture. It was the close up just one individual, the girl with the feathered hat and fancy beaded chest piece, but fyi on the below:

quote:
 -

-

-

quote:
Originally posted by lioness:

-

-

Every depiction you find isn't going to be in the same state, just fyi.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for this one:

quote:
Originally posted by lioness:

-

Notice the rest of Queen Nefertari's arms and body:

-

-

More of the same Queen:

-

-

-

-

And if you'll notice, there was a difference between deities and real persons:

-

And even real persons could be portrayed stylistically, see Pharaoh Akhenaten and others for that.

But Doug M. links the portrayal of female deities back to the sky deity Nut who is female and the males to Geb, earth & sky respectively.

Geb is brown with green spots while his female counterpart can be gold, or blue with gold spots. Hence the earthy tones in male deities and light gold ones in female ones.

Also, females in ancient egyptian society were referred to as Nuts, so, this philosophy may have influenced how they were depicted.

Just sharing some of m2c.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chill [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

nvm
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
It depends on the occasion. Sometimes the artist may choose to use the idealized yellow (likely symbolic of fertility) convention on female figures, and other times, the conventional Egyptian dark brown. These conventions are mostly seen on large statues or wall murals.

However: To adjudge which skin color convention truly captures that of the core ancient Egyptian population, the best avenue to turn to, is that of miniature sculptures depicting scenes of Egyptians engaging in daily occupational activities, as well as the same for royalty figures being accompanied by their entourage. In these miniature sculptures, every class of the society, be it royalty, men or women, they are all generally portrayed in dark brown (chocolate-like) skin color conventions. In these same miniatures, women just as men, are depicted engaging in routine occupational tasks both indoor and outdoor. This falsifies not only the notion that women are depicted in "yellowish" pigmentation on some wall murals because they stayed indoor, and so, retained their original "yellowish" skin coloration, but also that said "yellowish" pigmentation captures realism. Women are portrayed working indoors, and yet, still as dark brownish in skin coloration as their male counterparts.

Examples...

-

-

-

-

your point is betrayed by your own example:
 -
^^^yellowish brown, not matching dark brown figuresin other photos

this doesn't mean that all Egyptian women were this color, only some

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Well, plenty of Kings had sizeable Asiatic Harems, while the line to the throne had to be implemented through Egyptian and Nubian women only (descent was Matrilineal), hence the many depictions of regular, dark, and even black skinnned Kemetian women as well as those of what are clearly Asiatic servents (female).

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Whatbox
Member # 10819

The post above was not in reply to lionesses immediate above it reply to Explorer with the picture of the three yellow women.

This one is:

quote:
quote:
It depends on the occasion. Sometimes the ...

-

Ok, you describe their tone as yellowish brown, but if you scale down to the legs and feet you'll notice two tones.

So if that's the best you can do out of the myriad of figurines he just showed you, eh...

I will say that the tone on many of the brown women on the sarcophogai and wall paintings is infact brown like the men's only with a yellow hue, though. And above I'm talking dark brown, near dude's complections, but not at them like in the Armana Period, nor the times they are still portrayed brown but quite a bit lighter, just near but a tad yellower and lighter.

There is this wall painting of the scorpion King where he is depicted just like that, what I'm talking about above (it was posted by Doug M. in Wally's "Images in Ancient Egyptian Art"), where he's dark, but you don't notice red as much as yellow, but at various times and settings perhaps various paints were lacked, causing stuff like this.

In general women were less red and / or dark though, and sometimes, such as in the case of "goddesses" and Asiatics, very light, with the deities being more fakely stark yellow / golden and the foreigners being more realistically coloured.

I suspect it is because of this goddess convention that just the females in certain retouched paintings I've come across get much lighter. Often the males do to get a bit lighter; when they do lighten characters, I think the chosen outcomes have to do with a combination of to things, the idealized (sort of based off Egyptian art) tones of genders in the modern person's head, and, also how legitamate the outcome will appear based on other Egyptian imagery that's readily available.

When you see actual people who are very light & not even brown, in AE art, the majority of time it's when they were depicting foreigners such as Libyans and Asiatics.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

I was suddenly felt like looking up a super-light version of the dancers,

http://www.africanamericanculturalcenterpalmcoast.org/historyafrican/egyptiandancers2.jpg

couldn't find it.

So in my rage I post these (came across these with a brief look.):

-

-

Also, I'm aware that ancient paintings can erode by natural and other effects, including weather erosion and too many photographs (which is why they slow tourist picture taking).

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
[QB] I was suddenly felt like looking up a super-light version of the dancers,

couldn't find it.

So in my rage I post these (came across these with a brief look.):

you were in a rage you couldn't find the super light version?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Si, senior.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Na on to a more interesting topic.

-

Let's discuss gold.

And at that let's discuss a more goldeny gold.

Check out the "gold" in the picture above, notice how it smeers off of her fingers sloppily. Retouched?

-

-

And so I wonder how gold the goddesses were to be in original intent?

I wonder how much of the stark- light florescent yellow is under-layer or retouch?

A lot of the ancient wall paintings have more of a pure yellowish light yellowish or flourescent yellow coloring than the more goldy actual gold they used in the 3D sculpted versions of the same characters, in decorations, and etc.

But it may have been induced to provide a sheen back then.

At least in that top pic, the deeper more actual gold coloring appears to have been or maybe be a retouch itself, painted over the flourescent colouring.

But I'm not sure, as I haven't inspected all that closely. What I mainly notice is the paint coming off the fingers -- sloppy ancients, or sloppy moderns?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass:

quote:

Examples...

-

-

-

-

-

I'm sorry but Lyinass must be mentally challenged or something. Explorer just cited a source claiming what I and others have been saying all along-- that the yellowish portrayal of women was a SYMBOLIC CONVENTION. It was symbolic in that it was not a realistic portrayal and that it was an artistic convention or standard meaning that there were exceptions to this standard.

I explained that to her dumbass twice before. Here it is again.

"..Male and female skin colors were probably not uniform among the entire population of Egypt, with pigmentation being darker in the south [closer to sub-saharan Africans] and lighter in the north [closer to Mediterranean Near Easterners] A woman from the south would probably have had darker skin than a man from the North. Thus, the colorations used for skin tones in the art must have been schematic [or symbolic] rather than realistic; the clear gender distinction encoded in that scheme may have been based on elite ideals relating to male and female roles,in which women's responsibilities kept them indoors, so that they spent less time in the sun than men. Nevertheless, the significance of the two colors may be even deeper, making some as yet unknown but fundamental difference between men and women in Egyptian worldview..."-- Egyptologist, Gay Robins

The idea that women were lighter because they stayed indoors is debunked by Egyptian artwork itself showing common women working alongside men outdoors but still portrayed yellow, while we have records of elite women going outside to shop or enjoy recreational activities alongside their men.

It is clear. The yellow convention was SYMBOLIC. Symbolic of what? We don't know.

Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say for the record that there is a custom among some Afrasian speaking groups from peoples in Ethiopia to the Beja of Sudan and Egypt to even the Tuareg where the women on certain occasions adorn their faces and bodies with yellow ochre! Was this custom practiced by the Egyptians or connected with this artistic portrayal?? Perhaps, maybe likely.

I couldn't find any pictures of Beja women adorned in yellow ochre that I've seen in books, but here are some of Tuareg girls:

-

-

-

-

-

-

http://www.hazarddp.com/wp-content/oqey_gallery/galleries/niger/galimg/niger_tuareg-girl.jpg

Does Ausar or anyone else know why Tuareg girls do this?

Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
^ Yeah that would be interesting. To know why they mark themselves like that??
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djhooptie:

I'm sorry but Lioness must be mentally challenged or something. Explorer just cited a source claiming what I and others have been saying all along-- that the yellowish portrayal of women was a SYMBOLIC CONVENTION. It was symbolic in that it was not a realistic portrayal and that it was an artistic convention or standard meaning that there were exceptions to this standard.

many too many exceptions to hold water.
the above is true negroist.
the idea that there are no lighter skinned Africans

quote:

"..Male and female skin colors were probably not uniform among the entire population of Egypt, with pigmentation being darker in the south [closer to sub-saharan Africans] and lighter in the north [closer to Mediterranean Near Easterners] A woman from the south would probably have had darker skin than a man from the North.

case closed, lioness win

quote:

may have been based on

"may have been"

yeah that's real solid
(Egyptologist scratching head)

quote:

elite ideals

yes elite ideals, the nobles like light skinned bitches

quote:

The idea that women were lighter because they stayed indoors is debunked by Egyptian artwork itself showing common women working alongside men outdoors but still portrayed yellow, while we have records of elite women going outside to shop or enjoy recreational activities alongside their men.

quote:

to male and female roles,in which women's responsibilities kept them indoors, so that they spent less time in the sun than men. Nevertheless, the significance of the two colors may be even deeper, making some as yet unknown but fundamental difference between men and women in Egyptian worldview..."-- Egyptologist, Gay Robins[/i]

looks at this Djhooptie debunks his own sources.

quote:

It is clear. The yellow convention was SYMBOLIC. Symbolic of what we don't know.

yes pure yellow as opposed to people of African descent, similar to Khosians and some Igbos, referred to as "high yellows" a yellowish brown

pure yellow, however
was symbolic of gold and used for Goddesses as we can plainly see the differnce between Nefertari's and Isis skin tone, i.e. continuing victory for lioness productions, Djhooptie flat tire, wannabeism overturned, turtle upside down
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
It is clear. The yellow convention was SYMBOLIC. Symbolic of what? We don't know.

quote:

Symbolic of what?

-

^^^ so they painted themselves yellow head to toe?

the kid is clearly confused, now asking ausar to save him

Look son,

this:
unatural  -

is not this:

natural
 -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sahel (Siptah):

quote:

-

-

LOL The lyinass b|tch got AXED!!

quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass:

Very interesting, she looks Middle Eastern or Mediterranean in one lighting condition and African from another, yes.

No! She just looked more ambiguous in YOUR selective small picture with obscure lighting!

In a larger picture with better lighting of the SAME bust, her African appearance, particularly her complexion is more clear!

By the way, 'Middle Eastern' is a geopolitical region that includes North Africa as well as southwest Asia, and Mediterranean is a Sea that borders Europe, Southwest Asia, and AFRICA as well, so your terms are moot!

quote:
Some other Hatshepsuts:

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

When I look at several Hatshepsut in some I get the impression of a non-African person, though her skin was probably brown

And what exactly is so "non-African" about them?? All these statues are unpainted so you aren't going by color! You are obviously going by the facial features, but haven't you been schooled in the several years in this forum that Africans including those in Sub-Sahara can have those same features??!

I mean, who do you really think you are fooling lyinass??

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass idiot:

many too many exceptions to hold water.
the above is true negroist.
the idea that there are no lighter skinned Africans

Again, does your dumbass not know the meaning of convention or rule?? The vast majority of Egyptian paintings show women in yellow or yellowish brown so the exceptions are not that many, but then again it depends on the time period. The New Kingdom for example showed a break from the convention with most women NOT being painted in yellow.

And where did I say there were not lighter-skinned Africans, liar?? GTFOH with "negroist"! YOU are a negrophobe!

quote:
case closed, lioness win
Win how, you twit?? Robins clearly says that women regardless of what part of Egypt they were from were painted according to convention so even if a southern woman with a northern husband thus was darker than her husband would still be painted yellow. By the way, as I told your friend Malcontent7, northerners were stated to be closer to Near Easterners in color NOT same! No doubt your lying dumbass missed that.

quote:
"may have been"

yeah that's real solid
(Egyptologist scratching head)

Of course she used the term "may" since she like other Egyptologists or scientists in general do not like using absolutes since there's no way of knowing for sure without using a time machine! This still won't help your pathetic and faulty case!

quote:
yes elite ideals, the nobles like light skinned bitches
This was an assumption on her part, which I already showed why it is faulty dummy!

quote:
looks at this Djhooptie debunks his own sources.
I only debunked the part about women staying indoors nitwit, NOT the part about the yellow portrayal having a deeper symbolic meaning!!
quote:
yes pure yellow as opposed to people of African descent, similar to Khosians and some Igbos, referred to as "high yellows" a yellowish brown pure yellow, however was symbolic of gold and used for Goddesses as we can plainly see the differnce between Nefertari's and Isis skin tone, i.e. continuing victory for lioness productions, Djhooptie flat tire, wannabeism overturned, turtle upside down
 -

You are more delusional than George Bush and Barak Obama in their foreign campaigns put together if you think you have a "victory". What do symbolic use of yellow have to do with natural skin complexions?? It's also stated that nobody knows what the yellow in average women NOT goddesses stood for?? Robins has suggested in one of her works that women painted yellow may suggest a connection to goddesses like Hathor or Isis, but we just don't have the records to be certain.
quote:

Symbolic of what?

-

^^^ so they painted themselves yellow head to toe?

the kid is clearly confused, now asking ausar to save him

Look son,

this:
unatural  -

is not this:

natural
 -

LOL YOU are the one who is confused, you disoriented dummy!! What evidence do you have that the women holding the baskets are painted in their natural color?? That seems to be YOUR assumption! Also, I merely pointed out the FACT that there is a custom among some women in some Afrisian cultures to paint themselves in yellow ochre during certain occasions. Did the Egyptians do this? I don't know, I haven't read about any evidence that they have though the yellow portrayals in art may have something to do with it is all I'm saying.

EVERYTHING I stated makes sense NOTHING you stated does not! People call you 'snaky' but that is insulting to snakes who traditionally were identified with wisdom and intelligence. YOU possess the opposite of these traits! Which is why you are just a lyinass negrophobic worm!

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
quote:
Originally posted by Djhooptie

LOL YOU are the one who is confused, you disoriented dummy!! What evidence do you have that the women holding the baskets are painted in their natural color??

It is assumed that common people doing daily routines are painted in their natural skin tone a skin tone that some people actual have as opposed to blue or lemon yellow.
So the burden of proof that this skin tone was not their natural skin tone is on the person that comes up with this theory.
Same thing with male figures who are darker brown, It is assumed they were darker brown. If somebody says that the wer in actuality lighter but there darker brown color was symbolic then the burden of proof would be on them.
The color of the women above is not yellow unless you are retarded. They are primarily light brown/beige with a yellowish hint. Thye are closer to light brown then they are to yellow so to call them yellow is only a trick to try to tie them to the lemon yellow that Goddesses are colored.

you are annoying to black people

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass idiot:

It is assumed that common people doing daily routines are painted in their natural skin tone a skin tone that some people actual have as opposed to blue or lemon yellow.
So the burden of proof that this skin tone was not their natural skin tone is on the person that comes up with this theory.
Same thing with male figures who are darker brown, It is assumed they were darker brown. If somebody says that the were in actuality lighter but there darker brown color was symbolic then the burden of proof would be on them.

Hey moron, the artwork speaks for itself. Most artwork shows commoners of both sexes working outside yet again the females are shown as significantly lighter, even yellow compared to the dark brown males. Are we to believe that complexions between the sexes of a relatively homogenous populations would vary to that degree?? Of course logic says NO. So it all goes back to how the Egyptians in general really looked like in color? Egyptology has been around for almost 300 years along with studies in physical anthropology of the population to answer that question. Anthropology shows that the indigenous Egyptians just like their modern day rural descendants are brown in color, and by "brown" I mean the type that is common among Sub-Sahara and called 'black' in the West! I don't wantto cite that study again on Egyptian mummies having skins packed with melanin do I?? That there was a gradient with lighter hues in the north but darker hues in the south is likely. I already cited a passage by Robins explaining this. That the yellow or lighter hue is what's symbolic and NOT real is based on the fact that southern Egyptian women are quite dark yet still are portrayed yellowish or light in the artwork of the south!

quote:
 -

The color of the women above is not yellow unless you are retarded. They are primarily light brown/beige with a yellowish hint. They are closer to light brown then they are to yellow so to call them yellow is only a trick to try to tie them to the lemon yellow that Goddesses are colored.

LOL Whether lemon yellow or yellowish beige, that still does not change any of the info I have posted!

Neither your semantics nor this one picture changes what is generally stated by Egyptology, lying worm!
quote:
you are annoying to black people
[Eek!] No, I'm just annoying to YOU a pathetic white girl in 'virtual' black face! Begone white worm!
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

Your eyes have betrayed you. A few things going on in that image: The lighting, as can be seen in the near lack of distinction between the platform base of the figurine and its human occupants, and then the obvious wearing out of paint, most visibly seen around the leg areas of the female figures and to some extent, parts of the face.

You will be challenged to find figurines like these, showcasing "yellow" females. Up for the task? It'll make an exciting project. [Smile]

Even careful inspection of the other figurines I showed, one can see human figurines among them whose brown pigment had worn out, leaving a yellow-like residue. See, for example:

-

Unlike you, I've actually researched this thing, while applying my experience as a seasoned artist to examine Egyptian art, and not going by gut feeling. [Wink]

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Not this ish again, pale ladies in the back, brother in the front got some pigment.
what happened , women figures fade more ??

-
____________________________________________________^^^^what's this guy doing out front?
typical, the guys in the back got to carry the the heaviest shit

-

Mummy mask, Egyptian, Middle Kingdom,Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.

^^^wtf, they got men being symbolic too ???

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
 -

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
 -

From the tomb of Mehenkwetre, chancellor and
steward of the royal palace during the reign
of Pharaoh Mentuhotep (about 2,000 years B.C.)

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes! Which proves our point that the depiction of women as yellowish is SYMBOLIC. Or else why would women working out in the sun as men not have the same complexion??!

Lyinass worm caught in another hook!

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass worm:

-

Actually that was explained in a couple of other threads as well. Gold was the color of immortality and was often used for mummy masks for the afterlife. Gold itself would have been preferred for the actual mummy mask such as Tutankhamun's mask, however during the Middle Kingdom there were periods of shortage for that metal (likely due to trouble with Nahasi/Nubians in mining areas) so the next best thing was to paint the mask in golden color! Notice the color of the face is the exact same as the flower pendant on the middle of his headband.

Lyinass b.s. productions destroyed! [Smile]

asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asante-Korton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomb of the two brothers.

Nekht-Ankh

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/manchester/images/Body%20coffin%20of%20Khnum%20Nakht.jpg

reconstruction

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/manchester/images/manchester_museum_1100.jpg

Khnum-Nakht

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/manchester/images/Body%20coffin%20of%20Nekht%20Ankh.jpg

reconstruction

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/manchester/images/manchester_museum_1099.jpg

Posts: 1064 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asante-Korton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
The authors of this article claimed that the brothers were different races??

Posts: 1064 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
so i guess you really cant rely on statues to see what the actual people looked like
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass worm:

-

Actually that was explained in a couple of other threads as well. Gold was the color of immortality and was often used for mummy masks for the afterlife. Gold itself would have been preferred for the actual mummy mask such as Tutankhamun's mask, however during the Middle Kingdom there were periods of shortage for that metal (likely due to trouble with Nahasi/Nubians in mining areas) so the next best thing was to paint the mask in golden color! Notice the color of the face is the exact same as the flower pendant on the middle of his headband.

Lyinass b.s. productions destroyed! [Smile]

Gold was also the color of immortality and perfection. The idea is partly the basis for the concepts of later medieval alchemy, meaning transformation into something pure and immortal, like gold.

The colors were also symbolic of duality: male, female, earth and sky and so forth. This is seen throughout their cosmology as in the case of Nut and Geb.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I don't know about the alchemy part or symbols of duality, but you are correct that gold meant immortality and perfection as the Egyptians believed it was the flesh of the gods. The fact that a funerary mask was painted gold meant that the manufacturers did not have actual gold in their possession, either that or the owner was cheap though I doubt the latter to be the case.

Where is the lyinass worm's response now?? She already debunked herself by posting portraits of yellow women working outside along men.

Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:
 -

Not this ish again, pale ladies in the back, brother in the front got some pigment.
what happened , women figures fade more ??

Indeed, they have. You'd have to be as blind as bat not to see the remnants of pigment on the faces of the females (esp. most visible from near the hairline of the female 2nd from the male) and legs. Maybe you are under the impression that the females are as white as their linen?

Pigment on their legs is not that far off from that of the male figure. Even the male's pigment is clearly wearing away, showing white spots on parts of the head and upper body, like the color seen on the females; it must have been a lot darker than this in its original state.

quote:
 -

^^^what's this guy doing out front?
typical, the guys in the back got to carry the the heaviest shit

The original pigment of the guy looks to have faded as well. I'm guessing that you don't pay attention to the uneven distribution of remaining pigment on the body, judging by your posts. The item behind the guy appears to also be fading. Why the guy faded more than the others behind him, I cannot say, but close inspection of the last two guys, shows that pigment on their hair/head has faded more than those in front of them, displaying yellowish residue, almost like the color of the guy in front. Why? again, is an open question, pending examination of possible storage method of the item. Going by your philosophy, you'll probably say the guys at back are blond-headed, right?

You have to at the very least ask yourself, why it is the other guys conform to the standard convention used in almost every other miniature sculptures, while this guy stands out alone.

Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:
quote:
 -

Obvious: The paint on the figurine piece closest has worn off much more than the piece in the back. Do you not notice the uneven color, and even the dark face of the figure closest to the viewer? lioness, do you even know the gender of the figures closest to the viewer? If so, how?

quote:

-

From the tomb of Mehenkwetre, chancellor and
steward of the royal palace during the reign
of Pharaoh Mentuhotep (about 2,000 years B.C.)

For one: This is not a miniature like the examples I posted. If you had read the image caption of the photo on the site where it came from, it reads as follows:

HAND-MAIDENS FOR MEHENKWETRE IN THE OTHERWORLD

And:

When the tomb of Menkwetre was opened in 1920, these exquisite figures of women attendants, the only large models found among the collection, had stood solemn-eyed and erect for 4,000 years, ever ready to serve their illustrious master, each carrying on her head a basket containing food and drink. The models were half life size.

These sculptures are therefore not free from idealism. [Smile]

Two: If you compare your posted image above and the one below of the same sculpture, can you explain why they are of different color arrangements?

-

And others likewise, like say this:

-

And this:

-

With this bottom one coming from the same site as your posted image. Can you tell me why there is a discordance between the two images above, of the very same figurine?

These misinformed posts of your's that I've just addressed, underlie the fact that you are having trouble finding miniatures that carter to your ideology, as I noted above. [Smile]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Look, these darker individuals could be Africans or they could be some Near Eastern Arab types, you can't tell the same skin tone crosses over in many cases. Lighter skin females? It seems more prevalent in the ruling classes than the depictions of common folk
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Look, these darker individuals could be Africans or they could be some Near Eastern Arab types, you can't tell the same skin tone crosses over in many cases. Lighter skin females? It seems more prevalent in the ruling classes than the depictions of common folk

Cold adapt, warm adapt and other affinities.lol

Tell how many times have others and I posted these studies?lol

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com