EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: 'Would you like one of mine?,'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: 'Would you like one of mine?,'
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Would you like one of mine?,' Staggering generosity of woman who offered her kidney to dying stranger she met at a party

Patient's brother had travelled from Laos to UK to donate kidney but pulled out at last minute
I knew God was telling me to do this, says Christian donor
Mother-of-two donated kidney on her 31st wedding anniversary

By Claire Bates

Last updated at 9:00 PM on 28th December 2011

A mother-of-two has revealed how she gave her kidney to a virtual stranger who she met at a party. Veronica Buttigie was so touched by the plight of dialysis patient Manoly Viravong, 49, that she offered there and then to donate one of hers. 'I could tell she felt hopeless. Suddenly I just blurted out would you like one of mine?” said Veronica, a former teacher from Leigh-on-Sea, near Southend, Essex.

-
From strangers to sisters: Manoly Viravong (left) was thrilled to receive a kidney from Veronica Buttigie

'The strange thing is, I meant it. It was like fate. I knew from that moment this is what I had to do.'

She said she never had second thoughts about giving her kidney to 'a friend of a friend'.

The pair, who were strangers before the operation, say they now feel like sisters. The procedure went ahead at the Royal London Hospital in July 2011.

Veronica, who underwent the op on her wedding anniversary, said: 'My husband Mario and I were at a party and we sort of knew Manoly to say hello to, but that was all.

'I knew she had been ill but had no idea what exactly was wrong. Then during the course of the evening she told me how she had been waiting for a kidney and was on the transplant waiting list.

'She was very upset and began telling me how her brother had come over from Laos (in south east Asia) to give her his kidney but had backed out at the last minute and gone home.

'I could tell she felt hopeless. Suddenly I just blurted out "would you like one of mine"?

'The strange thing is, I meant it. It was like fate. I knew from that moment this is what I had to do.'

Mrs Viravong, said of her fateful encounter: 'At first I thought she (Veronica) was probably joking, but then when she pursued it I realised she meant it.

'I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, as there was a big chance her kidney wouldn't be a match for me because of our ethnicity differences.

'I've said to myself a hundred times, "what if I hadn't gone to that party"? I was feeling really ill that night and I could have easily not gone. Thank God I did.'

-
Veronica with Hannah Perry an organ donor nurse. Veronica donated her kidney in an operation in July

Veronica had to undergo a series of tests, but when she found out she could be a living donor for Manoly she was thrilled.

She said: 'When the results came back and said I was a match I knew even more it was the right thing to do.

'I’m a Christian and I knew God was telling me to do this - and I also knew I’d be alright. I didn’t have a second thought once.'

Veronica and Manoly, who also lives in Leigh, were both taken to the Royal London Hospital for the procedure in July.

Surgeons removed Veronica’s left kidney during an operation which lasted several hours, before immediately transferring it into Manoly’s body.

Veronica added: 'Funnily enough it was my 31st wedding anniversary but luckily I have an absolutely amazing husband who was supportive all the way, as were my sons, Richard 20 and Robert, 21.

'They knew it was something I wanted to do. They were worried about me at times of course, but they never tried to talk me out of it.'

Veronica spent several weeks recovering at home after the operation and was back at work by September.

She says she now feels 'as fit as a fiddle.'

Veronica, who has worked at Basildon Hospital for five years and previously taught in schools across south Essex, plays down her inspiring decision.

She joked: 'My friends always say, "I’m getting on what are you going to donate to me?"

'I’ve not had any problems really since the operation. I don’t drink anyway and I go down the gym and keep myself healthy so I’ve recovered well.

'My life hasn’t changed for the worse in anyway, but Manoly’s has changed for the better.Now she has her life back.'

Mrs Viravong said: 'I no longer need dialysis and, for the first time in a long time, I'll be able to fly home to see my family.

'It's not just my life this has changed, but my husband's, my children, my wider family. They are all so grateful to Veronica. It's a blessing we appreciate every day.

'I don't know how to thank Veronica for what she has done. She is with me all the time now. I walk around with her kidney inside me, but it's more than that. It's a connection that I find hard to put into words.'

But Mrs Buttigie added: 'She thinks she is the one who has gained from this but I feel the same.

'To see the joy this has brought to not only Manoly but her entire family has made it all worthwhile. I know it’s not something everyone wants to do but it was for me. It was an honour to become a living donor.

'You can give someone your time and your love but once in a blue moon you get the chance to give someone the most incredible gift of all - a part of yourselves.'

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mrs Viravong said: 'I no longer need dialysis and, for the first time in a long time, I'll be able to fly home to see my family.

Hope it's not too awkward seeing her brother. Other than that, this was a very warm story. Nice to see such a nice change of pace, lots of love, no "-oid" this "true ____" that.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an Heart warming story.

Love makes people do things to Bless others in this world, and blessings and helping others is an way to make this world an better place.

We need to support real heros like this woman who did not even think twice to help support someone in need. Hopefully this helps warm others on these forums up because we really need more Peace and Love here too.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com