EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What did ancient Egyptian peasant houses look like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What did ancient Egyptian peasant houses look like?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems most of the ancient Egyptian houses that I've read about being uncovered belonged either to nobility or (in the case of the so-called "workers' villages") middle-class artisans. Does anyone know, based on archaeological data, what sort of houses lower-class, rural Egyptian peasants would have lived in? Would they have differed from the houses of Egyptians further up on the socioeconomic pecking order?

Here's my current imagining of an ancient Egyptian peasant village:

-

Posts: 7072 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is no one genuinely interested in my question?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7072 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there were Images of Egyptian rual houses no?? Also it probably depended on where you were in Egypt, some people lived further inland and some lived near the nile.

-

-

-

Best examples are the houses of Rural Egyptians as seen above and the Nubian houses, which look no different than those found in parts of West Africa and the Sahel.

I don't think the Egyptians lived in the type of houses you depict, but in Mud Houses like the Nubians and Sahelians in West Africa, this is probably a better fit for Riverine Africans such those who live near the Nile and Niger. Again I could be wrong.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both rural Egyptians and Nubians still live in houses much like those in ancient Egypt. Most were made out of adobe mud brick but temporary worker houses such as those in Giza were made out of waddle and daub type models.

If you want insight into the commoner in ancient Egypt I suggest people look into an archaeological site called Deir el Medina around modern day Luxor.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar you can't delete this thread??

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=006265

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know for nubian cities,towns and villages of the past some houses were made of brick and stone,while others were made of brick.
Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com