EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Mike111's opinion of Africa: ignorant negroes (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Mike111's opinion of Africa: ignorant negroes
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bring It On Player.:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
"The Ignorant Negro" fails to understand that slaves spoke like that because they could no better do, NOT because they wanted to. In their native languages, they spoke fluently and normally in every way.

"The Ignorant Negro" does not know that the tendency for Black people to slang their language exists in every African language and culture.
lol  -

"The Ignorant Knee-Grow" also does not know that (and since so many here like wickipedia [Roll Eyes] I'll indulge them) [note: certain ones and ones here are not worth my taking the time to sit down type out the lesson so, copy and paste it is]:

quote:
Jamaican Patois, known locally as Patois (Patwa) or Jamaican, and called Jamaican Creole by linguists, is an English-lexified creole language with West African influences spoken primarily in Jamaica and the Jamaican diaspora. It is not to be confused with Jamaican English nor with the Rastafarian use of English. The language developed in the 17th century, when slaves from West and Central Africa were exposed to, learned and nativized the vernacular and dialectal forms of English spoken by their masters: British English, Scots and Hiberno-English. Jamaican Patois features a creole continuum (or a linguistic continuum)[2][3][4]—meaning that the variety of the language closest to the lexifier language (the acrolect) cannot be distinguished systematically from intermediate varieties (collectively referred to as the mesolect) nor even from the most divergent rural varieties (collectively referred to as the basilect). Jamaicans themselves usually refer to their dialect as patois, a French term without a precise linguistic definition.

Significant Jamaican-speaking communities exist among Jamaican expatriates in Miami, New York City, Toronto, Hartford, Washington, D.C., Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama (in the Caribbean coast), and London.[5] A mutually intelligible variety is found in San Andrés y Providencia Islands, Colombia, brought to the island by descendants of Jamaican Maroons (escaped slaves) in the 18th century. Mesolectal forms are similar to very basilectal Belizean Kriol.

Jamaican Patois exists mostly as a spoken language. Although standard British English is used for most writing in Jamaica, Jamaican Patois has been gaining ground as a literary language for almost a hundred years. Claude McKay published his book of Jamaican poems Songs of Jamaica in 1912. Patois and English are frequently used for stylistic contrast (codeswitching) in new forms of internet writing.[6]

Jamaican pronunciation and vocabulary are significantly different from English, despite heavy use of English words or derivatives. Jamaican Patois displays similarities to the pidgin and creole languages of West Africa, due to their common descent from the blending of African substrate languages with European languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Patois

quote:
Is Jamaica Patois a language?
by Karl Folkes

I am a Jamaican educator and linguist and a frequent user of Jamaicans.com website, which I find fascinating, necessary, and culturally uplifting. I am particularly interested in the use of patois (qua patwa) as an active and vibrant medium of communication by a number of Jamaicans; and even by other friends of Jamaica. From a linguist's perspective the language referred to as "Patois/Patwa" is officially labeled as "Jamaican Creole", or even better as simply "Jamaican". This designation is understandable in the larger context in which languages are usually named -- after the country in which the language initially evolved and developed. Thus, as examples, we have the following: England/English; Germany/German; Sweden/Swedish; France/French; Spain/Spanish; China/Chinese; Russia/Russian. Occasionally languages are named after an ethnocultural grouping or region, thus: Arabia/Arabic; Judisch=Jewish/Yiddish. Even when there appears to be no direct connection between a nation or country and the designation of its language we can trace some historic connection that can provide a logical explanation for the current name of the language. The United States (America) is a typical example. We do not normally refer to the language as "American" (although some people may do so), but simply as "English". The rational explanation for this is that the original 'American' speakers and users of "English" were actually English men and women during the colonial and pre-independence era in the first half of the 18th century -- and certainly before that -- under King George III. Thus 'American' English bears the colonial legacy as an indelible imprint in the naming of the language.

Back to the case of Patois/Patwa/Jamaican Creole/Jamaican! From linguistic experience we know that creole languages worldwide developed out of earlier forms, described as a 'Pidgin' as a result of the contact (e.g., from trading, commerce, bartering, even slavery) betwen and among speakers of mutually incomprehensible languages: French and African languages; English and African languages; Dutch and African languages; Some European language and Chinese, Native American, or African languages, etc.

In the case of Jamaica (during an extended period of slavery and colonialism) the mutually incomprehensible languages were English (and Spanish prior to English) and a combination of several West African languages primarily from West Africa and pertaining to the Niger-Congo family of languages. Out of this fertile linguistic soup a common 'primitive' or pseudolanguage ('pseudosprache') emerged -- spoken by our Jamaican ancestors from Africa who, themselves, possessed such native languages as Twi, Fante, Ibo, Yoruba -- which, under harsh and severe penalty, they were forbidden to speak in the presence of their European masters. However, this 'convenient' pseudotalk by our African ancestors in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean, in time was developed by the children of our African ancestors into a full-fledged language with its autonomous grammar bearing strong African roots and stocked with the lexicon of English words and those from Spanish, French, Native American, and, of course, African sources.

This new language became known generically as 'Creole' to identify its genesis from multilinguistic sources (involving, as a requirement, three or more languages to contribute to the development of the new language. Today we have creole languages all over the world. Some better known ones are Jamaican, Haitian, Sranan Tongo, Garifuna (in the Caribbean) , Tok Psin (in the Malaysian Peninsula), Afrikaans (in South Africa), Yiddish (in Germany and around the world). Interestingly, many of these languages now enjoy official recognition and status; and encourage literacy development in these various languages. I believe that Jamaican is moving steadily in that direction.

The ultimate question as to whether these Creole languages are indeed "languages" or "dialects" is moot and in fact a distraction. Again, from a linguistic perspective, all "languages" are comprised of "dialects", which are the distinct variations in form, utterance, meaning, and syntax of a particular language. What we sometimes describe as 'standard' English is itself a variant form of the family of dialects we refer to collectively as "English". Some dialects of "English" are: 'Bostonian', 'Southern', 'New England', 'Australian', 'Yorkshire', 'Cockney ', 'Canadian', etc. Some of these dialects of English will be arbitrarily assigned more 'prestige' than others; but this is a sociological choice rather than a linguistic choice. When, however, a dialect 'shift' is so great that the differences from the 'uniform' language family make communication difficult or perhaps even impossible, we recognize, at least psychologically, culturally, and socially that this 'strange', 'crude', 'vulgar' dialect has indeed become another language, yet bearing historic connection with the language that it -- way in the past -- had membership.

Again classical examples are Latin and Italian; Latin and Spanish; Latin and French; Latin and Portuguese; Germanic and English; Germanic and Dutch; Germanic and Swedish; Germanic and Germanic; Germanic and Norwegian/Danish, etc. The point to all of this is to recognize that Jamaican is distinct enough to be recognized as a language of African origins that has sufficiently evolved to become an autonomous language. What has not quite happened so far is to have a uniform orthographic representation of the language; and therefore to give it the respect it fully deserves. As linguists we note that all human languages started out in oral form (Sign Language is an exception); and many of these languages were later ascribed written phonetic representations in order to preserve some written consistency of the language, recognizing at the same time that (again largely because of dialect distinctions), in their oral expression, there would always be a degree of variation that demonstrated the vibrancy of the language in different linguistic communities. Literacy (and perhaps in relation to the development of movable type and the Printing Press) soon developed and became a widespread phenomenon among those languages that employed a uniform written form. These languages even gained prestige and a 'standard' associated with them. Unfortunately, those languages which are quite capable of being represented orthographically in a uniform way, but have not done so for a number of reasons (repression by the 'prestige' languages that they are in contact with; discouragement by 'those in power' to see these languages orthographically represented; social, cultural, historical, political, economic clashes, etc) are criticized, frowned on, scorned -- in a similar way in which we regard the speakers of these languages as societal 'outcasts' or 'rejects'.

Let's examine briefly some structures in Jamaican and compare them with English:

JAMAICAN ENGLISH

Dem a fi mi
They're mine
Kuyaman, awara?
Say, what's up?

Unu a fi nuo seh a soh wi tan
You must know that's the way we are

A wan dege sinting smadi a gi mi
It's a measly thing that someone is giving me

A nyam im nyamop di breshi! He(she) really ate up the breadfruit!

Of course, I could go on. But the point I wish to make here is that Jamaican is quite distinct from English, is rule-governed (has a grammar of its own); has its own 'standard', has a community of native speakers, is capable of expressing in writing any concept that can be expressed in English or any other language; and certainly can be expressed orthographically in a uniform way that can -- and should-- encourage literacy development.

quote:
Jamaican is an English-based Creole with influences from languages of West and Central Africa. It developed during the 17th century and includes significant influences from various dialects of English, especially those of Scotland and Ireland. Over 4 million people speak Jamaican, most of whom live in Jamaica. There are also many speakers in parts of the USA, Canada, Brazil, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and the UK.

Jamaican is used mainly as a spoken language, though has been used to some extent as a literary language for over a century. The is no written standard, though increased use of the language in writing, especially in schools, has led to a partial standardisation. Some schools in Jamaica use both English and Jamaican as mediums of instruction and have found that children taught in this way tend to achieve better results than those taught only in English.

Translation

The speech of the average Jamaican is variously described as a patois or creole, or even as bad English, depending on the degree of pride or disdain of the describer. Jamaicans' attitudes themselves are very divided over the language they all speak most, if not all, of the time. Although English is the official language of the country, and a variant known as Jamaican English is acknowledged, it is mostly heard only in formal situations, unless one wants to impress with "speaky-spoky." Common usage ranges from Jamaican English to broad patois with about three degrees of separation, often within a single speaker's conversation.

Stupid jancro.....

-

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
"The Ignorant Negro" fails to understand that slaves spoke like that because they could no better do, NOT because they wanted to. In their native languages, they spoke fluently and normally in every way.

"The Ignorant Negro" does not know that the tendency for Black people to slang their language exists in every African language and culture.
Could you give me an example please.
I know many Africans, and their use of language (native and English) seems impeccable to me.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Mike111 Quote: "The Ignorant Negro does not know that he is ignorant".
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What economic blockade, idiot? The very same people that you accuse of exploiting the Africans, have decided to not do business with them. This should make you happy, right? LOL!! What a fvcking self-contradicting buffoon!

quote:
Originally posted by malibudusul:
Mike, you should consider
that Africa was European colony
for a long time
and today continues to be exploited by Europe and the USA (neo-colonialism).
In Zimbabwe for example there is the economic blockade.
All this hinders the growth and development of Africa

Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
TruthAndRights - So now the backward Jamaican underclass represents all of Jamaica eh?

I know many Jamaicans, and their use of the English language seems impeccable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfOyOo3Wz4

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez from the time I looked at this post till I decide to post, this thread just...!! o well it was meant to be a throw away anywayz but below is a conversation at ESR that pretty much explain some of what goes on and how things came to be.

This is all the more telling by the increased privatizing of prisons.
What is extremely painful is those ex slaves who rolled up their sleeves went to work were as industrious as any new comer immigrant community ,were forced or kept into poverty by laws meant to re-enslave them,they had their communities destroyed if they showed any sign of progress or independence (Black Wall Street) many of them ended up in ghettos abandoned called lazy and used as an example of an inferior human being,the reason why the black elites following the decades of reconstruction concentrated on the political was because they had no choice,if they wanted to forge ahead they had to try and change the system what was the use if they had money but at any moment Anglo Europeans could confiscate property at will for back then Black people had no rights White people were bound to respect, and what new comer communities need to understand, is because the African Americans fought for those changes they could come and concentrate on the economic or education,so knowing this pains me when I hear folks even from my own community pointing fingers saying look at these "yankees" who have been here so long and yet remain in poor and under educated.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2176766758
Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hist&action=display&thread=1080#ixzz1n8FUl3kk

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TruthAndRights - So now the backward Jamaican underclass represents all of Jamaica eh?

I know many Jamaicans, and their use of the English language seems impeccable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfOyOo3Wz4

"The Ignorant Negro does not know that he is ignorant". This is true; that being said: POOR YOU. [Frown]

Yuh come een like mosquito: insignificant and slightly irritating same time wid yuh bzzz bzzzz...like I said, see me and no see me....cah trust me, YOU are quite easy to overlook, as I do it most of the time (you only get my attention, when you do, outta boredom and need fe amusement, like the duo CAH-SH*T-HE-RIDES and CONFIRMED EEDIAT-BWOY)...since I'm such a poor confused ignorant Negro, I'm sure you can see me and no see me with no problem [Big Grin]

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asante-Korton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know many Africans, and their use of language (native and English) seems impeccable to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Pidgin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QTfxGMe_Y

Posts: 1064 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by asante-Korton:
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Pidgin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QTfxGMe_Y

Him flex jus like ah yte mon nuh true...smh... [Roll Eyes]

What him really need fe duh is jus lo weh him nuh know bout, and gwan continue fe chase afta look ina fe him Black European heritage... [Big Grin]

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Confirming Truth:
What economic blockade, idiot? The very same people that you accuse of exploiting the Africans, have decided to not do business with them. This should make you happy, right? LOL!! What a fvcking self-contradicting buffoon!

quote:
Originally posted by malibudusul:
Mike, you should consider
that Africa was European colony
for a long time
and today continues to be exploited by Europe and the USA (neo-colonialism).
In Zimbabwe for example there is the economic blockade.
All this hinders the growth and development of Africa

Yup, indeed you confirm your stupidity once more. I rest my case.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African-born blacks comprise 16 percent of the U.S. foreign-born black population and are considerably more educated than other black immigrants (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). The vast majority of these immigrants come from minority white countries in East and West Africa (e.g. Kenya and Nigeria), and less than 2 percent originate from North or South Africa (World Factbook, 2004; Yearbook of immigration Statistics, 2003). In an analysis of Census Bureau data by the Journal of Blacks in higher education, African immigrants to the United States were found more likely to be college educated than any other immigrant group, which included those from Europe, North America and Asia (also see U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). African immigrants have also been shown to be more highly educated than any native-born ethnic group including white and Asian Americans (see also, Logan & Deane, 2003; Williams, 2005; The Economist, 1996; Arthur, 2000; Selassie, 1998).

Most current data suggest that between 43.8 and 48.9 percent of all African immigrants in the United States hold a college diploma (Charles, 2007; U.S. Census, 2000). This is slightly more than the percentage of Asian immigrants to the U.S., nearly “double” the rate of native-born white Americans, and nearly four times the rate of native-born African Americans (Williams, 2005; The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 1999-2000). Black immigrants from Africa have also been shown to have rates of college graduation that are “more” than double that of the U.S.-born population, in general (Williams, 2005). For example, in 1997, 19.4 percent of all adult African immigrants in the United States held a “graduate degree”, compared to 8.1 percent of adult whites (a difference of “more than” double) and 3.8 percent of adult blacks in the United States, respectively (The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 1999-2000). This shows that America has an equally large achievement gap between white Americans and African born immigrants as between native born white and black Americans.

In the UK, 1988, the Commission for Racial Equality conducted an investigation on the admissions practices of St. George's, and other medical colleges, who set aside a certain number of places for minority students. This informal quota system reflected the percentage of minorities in the general population. However, minority students with Chinese, Indian, or black African heritage had higher academic qualifications for university admission than did whites (Blacks in Britain from the West Indies had lower academic credentials than did whites). In fact, blacks with African origins over the age of 30 had the highest educational qualifications of any ethnic group in the British Isles. Thus, the evidence pointed to the fact that minority quotas for University admissions were actually working against students from these ethnic groups who were on average more qualified for higher education than their white peers (Cross, 1994; Also see, Dustmann, Theodoropoulos, 2006).

Dustmann and Theodoropoulos (2006) provide a first thorough investigation of educational attainment and economic behavior of ethnic minority immigrants and their children in Britain. They studied how British born minorities perform in terms of education, employment and wages, when compared to their parent generation as well as to comparable groups of white natives, using 27 years of LFS data (Labour Force Survey). In terms of educational attainment their results showed a strong educational background for Britain’s ethnic minority immigrant population. In addition, they showed that second generation ethnic minorities do better than their parents, and substantially better than their white peers! For both generations Black Africans topped the list in both years of schooling/educational qualifications and wages/employment (ibid).

Again, when comparing immigrants in the United States one quickly finds that the racialist models adopted by many Psychologists do not always predict outcomes in the way one might expect. For example, it has been shown that black immigrants born from Zimbabwe (96.7 percent), Botswana (95.5 percent) have high school graduation rates that far exceed all white immigrant and native born groups. Moreover, the average Nigerian immigrant (58.6 percent) living in the United States is “eight times” more likely to have obtained a bachelors degree than the average Portuguese born (7.3 percent) (Dixon D, 2006; Dixon D, 2005)!

The African born in the United States are concentrated in management or professional and sales or office-related occupations. Of the employed population age 16 and older in the civilian labor force, the African born are much more likely than the foreign born in general to work in management and professional occupations as well as sales and office occupations (i.e. clerical/administrative). Additionally, the African born are less likely to work in service, production, transportation, material moving, construction, and maintenance occupations than the foreign born in general (Dixon D, 2006). In the UK a study by Dr Yaojun Li, from Birmingham University, and Professor Anthony Heath, from Oxford University, found that Africans are more likely to be in professional and managerial jobs than white British men, with a large proportion, about 40%, holding these positions (Li and Heath, 2006).

Something else to note, according to the New York Times (Roberts, 2005) , for the first time in history more blacks are coming to the United States from Africa than during the slave trade. Immigration figures show that since 1990 more Africans have arrived voluntarily than the total who disembarked in chains before the United States outlawed international slave trafficking in 1807. For example, it has been shown that nearly 15% of Ghana’s 20million citizens live aboard (Owusu-Ankomah 2006) and similar trends can be observed among several other African states. In other words: black African achievement can not simply be dismissed as that of a “small group” of elites entirely unrepresentative of the greater continent. Moreover, the academic attainment and occupational achievements of black Africans are documented in the UK (Li and Heath, 2006; Dustmann, Theodoropoulos, 2006) as well as in Canada (Guppy and Davies, 1998; Boyd, 2002).

The information presented above suggests that African born blacks residing in western countries as a group possess IQs that are between 5 points and a full standard deviation (15 IQ points) above that of whites living in these countries. So that the median IQ for African blacks residing in the west should be about 110, if one accepts that research suggesting direct casual relationships between academic attainment levels and IQ (e.g. Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999)!

Research also shows that when African Americans are matched as to linguistic behavior (e.g. black vs. standard English), literacy levels and to the comprehension of sayings requiring specific knowledge, that African Americans perform as well or better than do Whites on IQ tests.

By Bernie Douglas (April 10, 2008), Revised February 17, 2009

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://video.pbs.org/video/2176766758
Please watch this vid

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
^TruthAndRights - I will let the Nigerian forum members defend themselves.

But it does speak to the point of the proceedings. It was definitely not to be mean. Let me relay a story: Many years ago I was in the company of an elderly gentleman. Having been offended by an Ignorant Negro, I was just about to lay into him, when my elderly companion stopped me by saying: "They already feel bad enough about themselves, why make them feel worst". Seeing as to who I was getting the advice from, how could I see it as other than sage advice, I complied with his request.

But what he didn't understand, is that the ignorant are like "Locust" if left unchecked, that is to say educated to the fact that they are merely ignorant Negroes, they will think that they are "Right" AND "Mainstream" thus they will usurp everything, turn it into their simple-minded version of what they think it should be, and claim it all as their own.

Above TruthAndRights wants to claim that normal Nigerians speak pidgin, before that she claimed that normal Jamaicans spoke creole.

The fact is that in years past, Jamaicans were the best educated, most competent Blacks in the Caribbean. Jamaican doctors and educators ranged far and wide, and were highly valued. As the video shows, they speak perfect English.

In the United States, Black entertainers were the height of Chic and Cool, and their creative genius was unquestioned.

-

-

-

-

But then the Ignorant Negroes were allowed a foothold, and then they spread - like Locust.
Now this is what Black American music looks like.

-

-

-

In my opinion, "The Ignorant Negro" is a greater threat to Black communities than any Albino.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Mike there is a difference between pop culture and high culture
 -
One of the most prominent brain surgeon in the world.

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
 -

@ Brada smh...but yuh done know how di bwoy stay already lol:  -

Mi seh, poor him [Frown]

asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asante-Korton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2pac leader of new african panthers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfYCItjhvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmnW6ZRV2jQ

Public enemy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

Vs

Mike and his black european ancestors

-

Perfect example of a field negro and a house negro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znQe9nUKzvQ

Posts: 1064 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:

Actually in it's time, that WAS pop culture.
But giving you a break:
Please show some examples of current "HIGH" culture.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cassiterides:
quote:
Originally posted by asante-Korton:
Kim kardashian is Armenian not Amerindian you idiot, she only has 6% native American DNA and 94% as you would say Caucasoid DNA

Only her ancestry on her fathers side is Armenian. Secondly 6% is high admixture.

It only takes a very small % to alter someone's phenotype. Kim is phenotypically not Caucasoid, her bone structure, especially in the face looks Mongoloid. This has been discussed all over the net on most anthropology forums.

No anthro forum i have ever been on classifies Kim as Caucasoid.

All your other comments are incorrect cassiterides.

Now for this point.
kim father may have black admixture since the dna test jessica alba's took was flawed.
Mr. mark shriver a dna expert said so to me on the phone.

He said the george lopez show messed up.

Has for whites it may take little admixture to change phenotype,who knows.
6% is little admixture,for whites it may be high.
For those that are not white that is low.
I know for other groups it will take much higher admixture to change phenotype,more like 20% or higher,and this is not always the case,of course the higher the more likely.

Anyway has for whites i think it make take that same level 20% or more as well,but i am not sure,the problem is i think kim has more admixture and it's really from the father side most likely since we all know that there were blacks in Armenia in ancient times from ancient egypt.

If look at her father you will see why.

Her father could have some east asian admixture,who knows
or combined black or east asian admixture.Another test for kim and jessica should taken.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness is a guy IRL
cassiterides banned yet again
Member # 18409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness is a guy IRL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by claus3600:
@cassiterides

No anthro forum i have ever been on classifies Kim as Caucasoid

Leaving aside my disbelief that Kim Kardashian's racial 'category' is the widespread topic of discussion on anthro forums, I thought you argued that despite having dark brown skin, the Egyptians could still qualify as caucasian/caucasoid or whatever catch-all you resort to.

But not Kim in this instance?

(Note to self: do not waste time debating with mentally ill white racists on the internet.)

Its got nothing to do with skin colour.

Her facial features are partially Mongoloid.

Race isn't solely about pigmentation and never has been. An anthropologist can determine with 100% accuracy the race of a skeleton, and of course there is no skin pigment on it.

Posts: 2408 | From: My mother's basement | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Actually in it's time, that WAS pop culture.
But giving you a break:
Please show some examples of current "HIGH" culture.

I see that you are stuck, so let me try and help you out.

-

the lioness is a guy IRL
cassiterides banned yet again
Member # 18409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness is a guy IRL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

This scientist is probably African-American, and not living in Africa.

African-Americans have higher IQ's than Blacks living in Africa, because they have 12 - 15% white admixture.

IQ (Lynn, 2006a, p 37) -

Black African: 67-70
African-American: 85
White: 100

Half of all Whites have an IQ over the white average, but only 16% of African Americans do (i.e., 5 out of 6 Blacks have an IQ below the white average) and only 1.3% of Africans would be expected to have an IQ above the white average.

^ The black guy you posted is just that 1.3%...

Only 1% of the black (African American) population has an IQ over 120, but 9% of the white population does.

About 2.3% of whites have an IQ of at least 130 (gifted), 20 times greater than the percentage of blacks who do; only 0.00044% of Black Africans would be expected to have an IQ over 130.

Posts: 2408 | From: My mother's basement | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111: quote: Originally posted by Brada-Anansi: Mike there is a difference between pop culture and high culture Actually in it's time, that WAS pop culture. But giving you a break: Please show some examples of current "HIGH" culture. I see that you are stuck, so let me try and help you out.
 -
Well the above is nouveau below are AA's traditon that goes back over a century
 -
The African-American Elite
Hi, fellow educated black-Americans. For those of you who aren't familiar with the book Our Kind Of People by Lawrence Graham it potrays the lives of the upper class black families that basically lead their lives completely out of public eye. Similarly to the parallel white "high society" many of the activities conducted by the black upper class are considered elitist by middle and lower class blacks, and remain unknown to white American's. The book talks about the Divine Nine: particularly the oldest most coveted five(Alphas, Omegas, Kappas, AKAs and Deltas), The Boule, Links, Jack and Jill of American, Girl Friends, Spelman, Howard, Morehouse, Camp Atwater(oldest historically black summer camp that is very costly ie. $750 per week), and the black summer enclaves such as Sag Harbor and Oak Bluffs. It also places strong emphasize on participating in the "right" debutante cotillion: with the most acceptable ones being Delta's, Link's, and AKA's. Now, I was wondering what other educated black Americans think about this book. I myself plan to attend Spelman College, I currently attend prep school, have a mother who is an AKA, hope to also be an AKA, am participating in a AKA debtante cotillion, my great grandmother was the first black woman to attend Roosevelt University in Chicago, my grandfather was the first black council man in my state etc, but this book is quite controversial. Especially now that the author is putting out a Black American Social Register that will feature the 800 most prominent black families in America. It will feature politicians, socialites, lawyers, doctors, CEOs etc. It however will not feature actors, basketball and football players, etc. I believe it is good that there will finally be something in large capacity that shows blacks in a positive image other than them being movie stars. The controversy is that not only do you have to be well educated by the top hbcu's or ivy league(better yet both), but you have to come from the right family, marry into the right family, summer in the right location, and even have the right look, while belonging to the correct social clubs. So it is extremely similar to the "white" social register listing people such as the Kennedy's and Vanderbilts. Many people of the black upper class have been calling him a wannabe and are angry that their lives are going to be out for public display. Many lower class blacks feel this is a disgrace to publish something so elitist.

NOTE ACTORS AND ATHLETES NEED NOT APPLY

-

The Elite of Our People is an important addition to the literature on free black northern society, for it goes beyond historians’ interest in white antebellum abolitionists to allow a young African American to speak for his community and himself.”
When I said that they exist for a hundred or so yrs I meant it.
 -
 -
“The black upper class has most often been associated with the Episcopal Church,” says Rev. Harold T. Lewis, the author of Yet with a Steady Beat: The African American Struggle for Recognition in the Episcopal Church and rector of Calvary Episcopal Church in Pittsburgh. Despite earlier affiliations with the Baptist and Methodist denominations and the larger numbers of blacks who currently make up those congregations, the black elite have often selected the more formal high Episcopal Church or Congregational Church.

The Episcopal faith was attractive because of its formality, and both faiths were appealing because they were known for having well-educated clergy and a small number of members. Well-to-do black Americans with roots in the West Indies had natural historic ties to the Episcopal Church, which had served a major role in Jamaica and other former British colonies for several generations. The Congregational Church’s popularity among the black elite grew from the fact that it was the denomination that had given the greatest support to the American Missionary Association’s efforts in establishing secondary schools and colleges for southern blacks in the late 1800s.

And for some of the most cynical and status-conscious members of the black elite, the two denominations were particularly appealing simply because most blacks were not of that faith.

In every city where there are members of the black elite, there is an Episcopal or a Congregational Church that dominates the upper-class black religious scene: In Chicago, it is St. Edmund’s or Good Shepherd; in Detroit, St. Matthew’s; in Philadelphia, St. Thomas; in Memphis, Second Congregational; in Charleston, St. Mark’s; in Washington, St. Luke’s; in Atlanta, First Congregational; and in New York, St. Philip’s. Some say that the black upper class disdains the open display of emotions that are often shared in Baptist and AME [= African Methodist Episcopal] churches, while others say that Episcopal and Congregational denominations have better-educated church leaders.

For whatever the reason, the choice does keep the elite separated. And just as there have been special churches for the black upper class, so are there special social groups that separate men, women, and children of different classes.
http://faroutliers.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gimme-that-upscale-religion/
Off course they are mostly Greek pledged in collage
 -
Oak Bluffs
One of the places they liked to vacation,and not on the boardwalk in Jersey or Coney Island.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -  -
Cassis pluezzz shut da fuk up! when your broke azz living in your mom's basement can't match any of these so-called true Knee-Grows from Nigeria given the fact that you are supposed to carry super doper red headed genes and was born and bred in a super doper Wyt nation, how come your income and education can't match any of these gentlemen,what makes you!! inferior.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
ScienceDaily (Jan. 21, 2010) — The controversial study on African IQ levels conducted by psychologist Richard Lynn is deeply flawed. This conclusion is the outcome of studies by Jelte Wicherts, Conor Dolan, Denny Borsboom and Han van der Maas of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Jerry Carlson of the University of California (Riverside).

Their findings are set to be published in Intelligence, Personality and Individual Differences, and Learning and Individual Differences

In an oft-quoted literature study conducted in 2006, Lynn concluded that black Africans have an average IQ of less than 70 (compared to an average western IQ of 100). Lynn suggested that these low IQs are indicative of a low intelligence level, claiming this offered an explanation for the low level of economic development in sub-Saharan countries.

Lynn's study is well known among psychologists, and has been referenced by academics such as Nobel laureate James Watson, and the authors of the controversial book The Bell Curve -- Intelligence and Class Structure in America (Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray: Freepress, 1994).

African IQ scores prove flawed

Wicherts and his colleagues examined over 100 published studies, concluding that there is no evidence to back up Lynn's claims. Amongst other flaws, Lynn used selective data by systematically ignoring Africans with high IQ scores. The researchers also claim that African IQ test scores cannot be interpreted in terms of lower intelligence levels, as these scores have different psychometric characteristics than western IQ test scores. Until now, the incomparability of Western and African IQ scores had never been systematically proven.

The scientists point out that the average African IQ is currently comparable to the average level in the Netherlands around 1950. However, IQ scores in Western countries have risen sharply over the course of the 20th century. In view of this trend, Wicherts and his colleagues claim there are no reasonable grounds to conclude that sub-Saharan countries are poor due to the lower IQ scores of their populations. As it turns out, the average IQ of African adults is seeing a similar rising trend, which is expected to continue if living conditions in Africa improve in future.

Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@cassiterides

You still fail to answer why Nigerians/West Africans are educationally more successful in the US and UK than African-Americans and UK Afro-Carribeans.

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -  -
Claus he also need to answer why these Africans with their inferior genes and place of birth got their own Lear Jets and he who was born with superior genes for rednecks,born and raised in a wyt country atleast majority still lives with his moms.. [Big Grin]

Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@clydewinters

So the question stands. Why are (generally 'unmixed') Nigerians/West Africans educationally more succesful than (generally admixed) African-Americans and UK Afro-Carribeans?

This is a stupid question. The Africans in the US, are not the average African.

First of all West Africans had to have had money to emmigrate to the US. This means that they were Middle Class before they came here.
Given their financial background and ability to live in many areas--native born Afro-Americans are not allowed to live they would recieve a better education. It is no secret that the more money a group has the better the education they recieve.
LOL. Their IQ scores and success reflect their social economic status--not special ability.

Of course, I know this...the point of my repeatedly raising the question was to force cassiterides to admit the socio-economic basis for educational achievement and debunk his racist theory that intelligence in blacks is based on racial admixture.

Oh, forget it.

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
@brada anansi

I'm glad you at least saw where I was coming from with my question.

I'm disappointed that Clyde and Jari thought I was endorsing some idea that Africans are inherently more intelligent than Afican-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans. I don't understand how they couldn't see where I was going with the question. Why the defensive responses?

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the United States today, most claims regarding differences between ethnic ‘populations’ in relationship to IQ test performance are based on statistically derived data that relate to scholastic aptitude tests (e.g. Flynn, 2006). With this in mind, and acknowledging the superior educational attainment of African blacks in the United States (and elsewhere) it can thus be argued, because of their superior educational attainment levels, that they must also surmount far more in number and more difficult scholastic aptitude tests, in general, which in turn would require higher level IQs (see Gottfredson, 1998; Ostrowsky, 1999). As whites on average do not, or are unable to attain the same levels of academic achievement within these (their own!) academic institutional frameworks, they must also by the racialist thinking employed by some, possess significantly lower cogitative indices on the group level (e.g. Jensen, 1980; Gottfredson, 1986, 1998). In fact, attainment differences of these ‘grand’ magnitudes would suggest that American whites, in particular, are at a significant intellectual handicap when matched against immigrants of black African, East Indian, and East Asian descent. Incidentally, most American whites themselves are the children or grandchildren of “self-selected,” voluntary immigrants from Europe (Ogbu and Simons, 1998), and thus these trends can not be said to result from immigrant selectivity.

Flynn J.R., Dickens W.T. (2006). Black Americans Reduce the Racial IQ Gap: Evidence from Standardization Samples. Psychological Science, October 2006

http://www.brookings.edu/views/papers/dickens/20060619_IQ.pdf

Q: who discovered America?lol

kikuyu22
Member # 19561

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kikuyu22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you sniping at ecah other? A difference of opinion may be caused by misunderstanding or ignorance not necessarily foolishness.
But, I've seen first hand what Ignorant Negroes are capable of-they need to be checked with the quickness.

Posts: 433 | From: nairobi | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
@brada anansi

I'm disappointed that Clyde and Jari thought I was endorsing some idea that Africans are inherently more intelligent than Afican-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans. I don't understand how they couldn't see where I was going with the question. Why the defensive responses?

It was not a defensive response. The USA has always been a land of immigrants. It is a society based on who has and who does not have money.

As a result, people with money are going to advance further than people without. So it is only natural that the West Africans who come to America will money are going to do better than native born AAs who are an underclass.

I am an Ed Psychologist. This discussion about IQ test is irrelevant because results on these test are the result of the socio-economic status of the test taker--since the SES of the test taker will determine their education and training it is only natural that people with a higher SES will score higher than people with a lower SES.

In addition IQ test are not stagnant. Research indicates that they can improve given the education and training of the test taker.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
@clydewinters

So the question stands. Why are (generally 'unmixed') Nigerians/West Africans educationally more succesful than (generally admixed) African-Americans and UK Afro-Carribeans?

This is a stupid question. The Africans in the US, are not the average African.

First of all West Africans had to have had money to emmigrate to the US. This means that they were Middle Class before they came here.
Given their financial background and ability to live in many areas--native born Afro-Americans are not allowed to live they would recieve a better education. It is no secret that the more money a group has the better the education they recieve.
LOL. Their IQ scores and success reflect their social economic status--not special ability.

Of course, I know this...the point of my repeatedly raising the question was to force cassiterides to admit the socio-economic basis for educational achievement and debunk his racist theory that intelligence in blacks is based on racial admixture.

Oh, forget it.

This is a legitimate goal. But you waste your time most outsiders don't know that an IQ test tells us nothing about a person's intelligence. It only shows how well a person/test taker did on a test.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cassiterides everything you said is still incorrect,and I gave facts in this thread about African Americans already.

I am bringing that up again here.

Clarence Walker encourages black Americans to discard Afrocentrism

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=006297;p=1#000028

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
African-born blacks comprise 16 percent of the U.S. foreign-born black population and are considerably more educated than other black immigrants (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). The vast majority of these immigrants come from minority white countries in East and West Africa (e.g. Kenya and Nigeria), and less than 2 percent originate from North or South Africa (World Factbook, 2004; Yearbook of immigration Statistics, 2003). In an analysis of Census Bureau data by the Journal of Blacks in higher education, African immigrants to the United States were found more likely to be college educated than any other immigrant group, which included those from Europe, North America and Asia (also see U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2000). African immigrants have also been shown to be more highly educated than any native-born ethnic group including white and Asian Americans (see also, Logan & Deane, 2003; Williams, 2005; The Economist, 1996; Arthur, 2000; Selassie, 1998).
1)The percentage of U.S. blacks that are foreign born--including African born--is approximately 8%, not 16%--according to U.S. census reports.

2) Blacks from Africa who travel to the U.S. is a self-selecting group hence the higher academic achievements. Compare with blacks from Africa who travel to France in terms of educational achievement.

3) To Cass--ides: If, as you claim, blacks in Africa average 70 on IQ tests and whites 100 with U.S. blacks averaging 85. If your race based theory of IQ were valid then that would suggest that U.S. blacks were 50% white in DNA. But you said that blacks were on average 12-15% admixed with whites. This would imply that the black American IQ should be no more than 73. The remaining 12 points can be ascribed only to cultural sources. Clearly the race theory of IQ is invalidated thusly.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you think someone who has reached a certain age should try certain drugs that's usually off limits (e.g. most class A stuff)? You know, since consequences are fairly limited at that point, if any.

Do you really want to restart without knowing what it felt like!!!? [Eek!] DO IT and let me know if it was worth it [Big Grin]

- [Razz]

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Which leads me to believe that there is something inherent in African tribalism and it's jealousies which acts to stifle advancement.

I have proven this in the behavior of the ignorant Negro. His mindset is obvious: since he is Black and ignorant, then how could anyone like him (Black) be smart? And he acts on this belief, you would find that he will ignore the teaching of another Black in favor of the teachings of an Albino.

Mike, using these terms Black, Albino, Ignorant Negro, etc is tribalism
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^^^lol. West Africa vs West Europe.

Augustin F.C. Holl et al.

Museum of Anthropology, The University of Michigan, 2009.

Coping with uncertainty: Neolithic life in the Dhar Tichitt-Walata, Mauritania, (ca. 4000–2300 BP)

Abstract

The sandstone escarpment of the Dhar Tichitt in South-Central Mauritania was inhabited by Neolithic agropastoral communities for approximately one and half millennium during the Late Holocene, from ca. 4000 to 2300 BP. The absence of prior evidence of human settlement points to the influx of mobile herders moving away from the “drying” Sahara towards more humid lower latitudes. These herders took advantage of the peculiarities of the local geology and environment and succeeded in domesticating bulrush millet – Pennisetum sp. The emerging agropastoral subsistence complex had conflicting and/or complementary requirements depending on circumstances. In the long run, the social adjustment to the new subsistence complex, shifting site location strategies, nested settlement patterns and the rise of more encompassing polities appear to have been used to cope with climatic hazards in this relatively circumscribed area. An intense arid spell in the middle of the first millennium BC triggered the collapse of the whole Neolithic agropastoral system and the abandonment of the areas. These regions, resettled by sparse oasis-dwellers populations and iron-using communities starting from the first half of the first millennium AD, became part of the famous Ghana “empire”, the earliest state in West African history.

For more, here is an excellent thread by Jari, elaborating on this particular aspect.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007501;p=1#000000

-

-

-

England not too long ago, prior and during the Roman invasion and enslavement. Traditional Celtic huts.

-

-

-

-

-

JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Exudes Priceless Peace.
Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
quote:
1)The percentage of U.S. blacks that are foreign born--including African born--is approximately 8%, not 16%--according to U.S. census reports.

2) Blacks from Africa who travel to the U.S. is a self-selecting group hence the higher academic achievements. Compare with blacks from Africa who travel to France in terms of educational achievement.

3) To Cass--ides: If, as you claim, blacks in Africa average 70 on IQ tests and whites 100 with U.S. blacks averaging 85. If your race based theory of IQ were valid then that would suggest that U.S. blacks were 50% white in DNA. But you said that blacks were on average 12-15% admixed with whites. This would imply that the black American IQ should be no more than 73. The remaining 12 points can be ascribed only to cultural sources. Clearly the race theory of IQ is invalidated thusly.

I haven't looked up the census report of year 2000 before. If truly so, thanks for correcting.

(quick add)

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by BIT:
^ Exudes Priceless Peace.

The same historic assessment can be made when it comes to illiteracy and literacy (higher education) of West Africa vs West Europe. [Wink] [Cool]
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Woman wins the 2012 national Dutch IQ-test and wins with 159. The highest score thus far.

-

-

-

The second hightest score was by her, with 132.

-

Prior to this, 2009, she scored 118.

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
When we partnered with the A&E Television Network by sponsoring a school contest to launch the KNIGHTS OF THE SOUTH BRONX – the inspirational story of how one teacher made a dramatic difference in the lives of inner city kids using the game of chess – we knew we would receive equally inspirational entries. 

7. "....If chess can give kids from the Bronx of New York a vision and a way out, it could do the same for the kids from rural Mississippi.  They are not dumb kids - they just have never been told differently."

15. “…Our school was once known for having city chess champions. This software would give me the tools to begin rebuilding that empire. As an inner-city school, we need to give these children every opportunity to excel. By playing chess, these often volatile students learn to discuss, plan and negotiate, rather than reacting with anger. The lessons learned in chess go way beyond the game, as evidenced in “The Knights of the South Bronx.” As a staff, we have discussed how to build our chess program. This software is the missing piece. Please help us help our students”

http://www.schoolchess.com/AE/essay.asp

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:
@brada anansi

It was not a defensive response. The USA has always been a land of immigrants. It is a society based on who has and who does not have money.

As a result, people with money are going to advance further than people without. So it is only natural that the West Africans who come to America will money are going to do better than native born AAs who are an underclass.

I am an Ed Psychologist. This discussion about IQ test is irrelevant because results on these test are the result of the socio-economic status of the test taker--since the SES of the test taker will determine their education and training it is only natural that people with a higher SES will score higher than people with a lower SES.

In addition IQ test are not stagnant. Research indicates that they can improve given the education and training of the test taker.

I do see your point,

Just 20 years ago, American students were among the best in the world, routinely coming in first in test results. Now, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, students in the richest country on earth are in 24th place in math. That's behind Canada, Germany, France, Korea...but also smaller, poorer countries like Poland, Hungary and Slovakia.

With a net worth of about $51 billion, Microsoft founder and world's richest man, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda (two of Time magazine's "Persons of the Year" in 2005), are determined to use their fortune to change the crisis in American schools. Through their influential Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, they are trying to revolutionize an education system that, if it were a business, Bill says, "would be bankrupt."

Melinda adds that this is not an isolated problem of poverty. "This is affecting all schools," she says. "Kids are falling through the cracks and nobody notices it. That to me is what's wrong with the school system."  

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/world/Failing-Grade#ixzz1nEmEKyel

In Part 1 of our report, Bill and Melinda Gates highlighted some of the biggest problems facing America's schools—obsolete education, high dropout rates and underperforming graduates. With the help of former basketball all-star and education advocate Kevin Johnson, they have launched a new campaign, Stand Up, to address the crisis.

While playing for the Phoenix Suns, Kevin took his team to the playoffs 10 years in a row. During the NBA off-season, Kevin returned to his hometown of Sacramento, California, to make a difference. He saw that life in his old neighborhood was still a struggle.

To combat the influences of drugs, jail and unemployment on kids in Sacramento, Kevin opened an after-school program called St. Hope Academy designed to keep high-risk kids off the streets. During his time off, he routinely spent 12 hours a day, six days a week working at St. Hope. He quickly realized this was his true calling.

In 2000 Kevin retired to focus on education. "I couldn't wait to get out of the game so that I could do something bigger and more important than basketball," he says. He now works full-time running the six schools that make up the St. Hope Public School System in Sacramento.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/world/School-Solutions#ixzz1nEn83he6

In Washington, D.C., CNN's Anderson Cooper found a school that has turned students' lives around. "Most of these kids were two grades behind when they transferred here from some of the lowest performing schools in the country," he says. "Now they're outscoring every public middle school in Washington."

The school is called KIPP—short for Knowledge Is Power Program—part of a growing network of schools around the country. It's the brainchild of Mike Feinberg and Dave Levin, two Ivy League grads and Teach for America alumni who thought they could do a better job than the public school system.

Now with 46 KIPP schools across the country, they're out to prove that they are right.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/world/School-Solutions/4#ixzz1nEo13jLm

Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
^
Excellent. Excellent.Excellent.

element
Member # 19569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for element     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cassiterides is toying with all of you.

He believes Africa consists of many races & believes high iq in African Americans is due to admixture..

He will inject caucasoid admixture into everything relating to Africans..

The onus is on him to provide data on African iq scores between his African races.

He will also have to explain his flawed East African are 40 % caucasoid study..

Those East Africans who have 40% caucasoid admixture should be top of the league by his rules

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
quote:

I haven't looked up the census report of year 2000 before. If truly so, thanks for correcting.

(quick add)

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-5.pdf

-

Posts: 149 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
^
Excellent. Excellent.Excellent.

Icing on the cake.

Poverty, socio-economic position, social capital and the health of children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities in Britain: a replication

Abstract

Background  When compared with their nonintellectually disabled peers, people with intellectual disabilities (IDs) have poorer health and are more likely to be exposed to poverty during childhood. Given that exposure to child poverty has been linked to poorer health outcomes, we attempted to estimate the extent to which the health inequalities faced by children and adolescents with IDs may be accounted for by their more disadvantaged socio-economic position.

Methods  Secondary analysis of data on a nationally representative sample of 12 160 British children aged under 17 years extracted from the Department of Work and Pensions' Families and Children Study.

Results  After controlling for age and sex, children with IDs were significantly more likely (corrected odds ratio = 2.49) to be reported to have less than good health than their nonintellectually disabled peers. However, 31% of the elevated risk for poorer health was accounted for by between-group differences in socio-economic position and social capital.

Conclusions  A socially and statistically significant proportion of the increased risk of poorer health among children and adolescents with IDs may be attributed to their increased risk of socio-economic disadvantage.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2788.2007.00951.x/abstract

Socioeconomic Status

A family's socioeconomic status is based on family income, parental education level, parental occupation, and social status in the community (such as contacts within the community, group associations, and the community's perception of the family), note Demarest, Reisner, Anderson, Humphrey, Farquhar, and Stein (1993). Families with high socioeconomic status often have more success in preparing their young children for school because they typically have access to a wide range of resources to promote and support young children's development. They are able to provide their young children with high-quality child care, books, and toys to encourage children in various learning activities at home. Also, they have easy access to information regarding their children's health, as well as social, emotional, and cognitive development. In addition, families with high socioeconomic status often seek out information to help them better prepare their young children for school.

Crnic and Lamberty (1994) discuss the impact of socioeconomic status on children's readiness for school:

"The segregating nature of social class, ethnicity, and race may well reduce the variety of enriching experiences thought to be prerequisite for creating readiness to learn among children. Social class, ethnicity, and race entail a set of 'contextual givens' that dictate neighborhood, housing, and access to resources that affect enrichment or deprivation as well as the acquisition of specific value systems."

Ramey and Ramey (1994) describe the relationship of family socioeconomic status to children's readiness for school:

"Across all socioeconomic groups, parents face major challenges when it comes to providing optimal care and education for their children. For families in poverty, these challenges can be formidable. Sometimes, when basic necessities are lacking, parents must place top priority on housing, food, clothing, and health care. Educational toys, games, and books may appear to be luxuries, and parents may not have the time, energy, or knowledge to find innovative and less-expensive ways to foster young children's development.

Even in families with above-average incomes, parents often lack the time and energy to invest fully in their children's preparation for school, and they sometimes face a limited array of options for high-quality child care--both before their children start school and during the early school years. Kindergarten teachers throughout the country report that children are increasingly arriving at school inadequately prepared." (p. 195)

Families with low socioeconomic status often lack the financial, social, and educational supports that characterize families with high socioeconomic status. Poor families also may have inadequate or limited access to community resources that promote and support children's development and school readiness. Parents may have inadequate skills for such activities as reading to and with their children, and they may lack information about childhood immunizations and nutrition. Zill, Collins, West, and Hausken (1995) state that "low maternal education and minority-language status are most consistently associated with fewer signs of emerging literacy and a greater number of difficulties in preschoolers." Having inadequate resources and limited access to available resources can negatively affect families' decisions regarding their young children's development and learning. As a result, children from families with low socioeconomic status are at greater risk of entering kindergarten unprepared than their peers from families with median or high socioeconomic status.

http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/students/earlycld/ea7lk5.htm

A new report, billed as one of the most comprehensive studies to date of how low-income and minority students fare in college, shows a wide gap in graduation rates at public four-year colleges nationwide and "alarming" disparities in success at community colleges.

The analysis, released Thursday, found that about 45 percent of low-income and underrepresented minority students entering as freshmen in 1999 had received bachelor's degrees six years later at the colleges studied, compared with 57 percent of other students.

Fewer than one-third of all freshmen entering two-year institutions nationwide attained completion -- either through a certificate, an associate's degree or transfer to a four-year college -- within four years, according to the research. The success rate was lower, 24 percent, for underrepresented minorities, identified as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans; it was higher, 38 percent, for other students.

Only 7 percent of minority students who entered community colleges received bachelor's degrees within 10 years.

The report provides a statistical starting point for 24 public higher-education systems that pledged two years ago to halve the achievement gap in college access and completion by 2015. Together, the systems represent two-fifths of all undergraduate students in four-year public colleges.

"This is not just research for research's sake," said Kati Haycock, president of the Education Trust, the District-based nonprofit group that prepared the report, "Charting a Necessary Path." "This is the base line for a very aggressive action initiative among a number of institutions that have said, 'We're going to make this better.' "

The Access to Success Initiative, announced in 2007, predates President Obama's American Graduation Initiative announced this year, which calls for the United States to regain the global lead in college degrees by 2020. Any progress charted by the 24 college and university systems, which include the University System of Maryland and state university systems in California and New York, will dovetail "very neatly" with the president's goal, said Haycock, whose organization advocates for disadvantaged students.

Within the University System of Maryland, the report found a 51 percent graduation rate among low-income students and a 46 percent rate among underrepresented minorities, compared with a graduation rate of about 64 percent for higher-income students and 67 percent for whites and Asians.

William E. Kirwan, chancellor of the Maryland system, said in a statement that closing the achievement gap "is not just a competitiveness issue for our nation, it is also the civil rights issue of our day."

One bright spot in the research was the Pell Grant, the federal program to help low-income students through college. The study found that Pell recipients at community colleges completed their studies at a rate of 32 percent, the same as other students. Pell students who transferred to four-year colleges also graduated at the same rate, 60 percent, as other students.

A bill pending in Congress would strengthen the Pell program by raising the maximum grant and tying the program to inflation for the first time.

The research released Thursday includes part-time students and transfer students, significant groups that aren't included in federal data on college completion, the report's authors said.

Halving the gap by 2015 would mean narrowing the disparity in six-year graduation rates from 12 percentage points to 6 and shrinking the gap in community college success from 14 points to seven.

"If these guys make the improvements they intend to make . . . it really changes the trajectory of higher education in this country," Haycock said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/03/AR2009120302569_pf.html

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by element:

He believes Africa consists of many races & believes high iq in African Americans is due to admixture..

He will inject caucasoid admixture into everything relating to Africans..

The onus is on him to provide data on African iq scores between his African races.

He will also have to explain his flawed East African are 40 % caucasoid study..

Those East Africans who have 40% caucasoid admixture should be top of the league by his rules

[Roll Eyes]

The one who is being played here is getsh*tty.

Immigrant blacks more likely to attend elite colleges

By Amy Lunday, Homewood

Sociologists examine possible explanations for race, nativity gaps in U.S.

A larger proportion of immigrant black high school graduates attend selective colleges and universities than either native black or white students in America, according to a study by sociologists at Johns Hopkins and Syracuse universities.

Pamela R. Bennett of Johns Hopkins and Amy Lutz of Syracuse examined the destinations for those who attend college as reported by the National Education Longitudinal Study of 1988, a nationally representative study of students who were in the eighth grade in 1988 and who were followed for 12 years. Bennett and Lutz found that among immigrant black students—those who either immigrated with their families or are American-born children of immigrants—9.2 percent were enrolled in elite colleges, such as those in the Ivy League, compared with 2.4 percent of other black students and 7.3 percent of white students.

Pamela Bennett

Published by the journal Sociology of Education, Bennett and Lutz’s study, “How African-American Is the Net Black Advantage? Differences in College Attendance Among Immigrant Blacks, Native Blacks and Whites,” puts a finer point on previous, well-known studies that demonstrated that black high school graduates are more likely to attend college than white high school graduates with similar socioeconomic backgrounds.

Bennett and Lutz investigated whether the immigrant population could be driving blacks’ relatively higher odds of college enrollment compared to those of similar whites, particularly in light of high levels of educational attainment among the adult black immigrant population.

High levels of educational attainment are but one of several factors that make black immigrants one of the most interesting groups at the intersection of race and immigration in the United States today, the researchers say. While America’s identity has been shaped by its immigrant-achievement narrative, in which newcomers are historically incorporated into the culture, black immigrants are also affected by the country’s historical racial hierarchy.

Differentiating between immigrant and native-born blacks revealed that immigrant blacks have the highest college attendance rate (75.1 percent), followed by whites (72.5 percent) and native-born blacks (60.2 percent). To examine possible explanations for these race and nativity gaps, Bennett and Lutz compared immigrant blacks to native-born blacks and whites to see what background characteristics the groups have in common.

The sociologists found that both groups of blacks were disadvantaged relative to whites in socioeconomic background, yet the educational experiences of immigrant blacks are more closely aligned with those of whites than native blacks. Immigrant black and white children are more likely than native black children to come from two-parent households and to attend private schools, two factors that have been shown to have a positive impact on attending an elite college.

Findings reveal that if immigrant blacks and whites were able to bring the same social and economic resources to the college-going process, immigrant blacks would be 3.9 times more likely than whites to attend four-year colleges and 17 times more likely than whites to attend selective colleges. Similarly, if native-born blacks and whites had similar social and economic resources, native-born blacks would be 2.9 times more likely than whites to attend four-year colleges and 3.7 times more likely than whites to attend selective colleges. In contrast to concerns that immigrant blacks may be outperforming native-born blacks due to cultural differences with respect to college attendance, the authors found no significant differences in the chances of enrolling in college between immigrant and native-born blacks from similar socioeconomic backgrounds.

“Our study shows that much of what prevents native-born black students from attending college can be found in disadvantages in their family socioeconomic background,” Bennett said. “Were it not for those disadvantages, we would very likely observe proportionately more black high school graduates than white graduates attending college.

“As we strive to achieve President Obama’s goal of leading the world in college graduates by 2020,” she said, “we can ensure that native black students are part of that progress by investing more federal resources in narrowing gaps in the family social and economic resources that native blacks and whites bring to the college-going process. Current proposals to expand the Pell Grant Program, if passed, along with a shift in student aid packages for low-income families from loans to grants would likely disproportionately assist black students with paying for college and contribute to a narrowing of the race gap in college attendance.”

“In thinking about the lower college enrollment rates of native-born blacks compared to their white and immigrant peers, researchers and the public often turn to the popular explanation that native-born black youth maintain a cultural stance that devalues higher education,” Lutz said. “However, the results of our research highlight the need to pay greater attention to the structural inequalities faced by native-born black students. In particular, we should think about the kinds of educational needs that native-born black youth from single-parent families and from public schools encounter, and which are perhaps not being met, as these youth complete high school.

“For example,” she continued, “one such need is a greater emphasis on college preparation in public schools, starting as early as middle school. Such preparation should include information about course work to prepare for college, counseling on the variety of college options available to students, assistance with filling out college applications and financial aid forms, preparation for college interviews and entrance exams, and better linkages between public school counselors and colleges and universities.

“This type of high-quality preparation for college is usually less available to public school students than private school students,” she said, “and single parents often have a limited amount of time and financial resources to pursue this with their children on their own. Because higher education is so important for the future of the United States, it is critical that all students have the best information about, and preparation for, the college-going process.”

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Getsh*tty,

-

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
 -
Poor children a year behind in language skills

Reading to children and taking them to libraries can limit effects of disadvantage, Sutton Trust study shows

-

The vocabulary of children from the poorest backgrounds lags more than a year behind that of their classmates from richer homes by the time they start school, a major new study showed today.

The Sutton Trust, the charity which sponsored the research, said the divide was a "tragic indictment of modern society", showing how educational inequality starts young and leaves children from the most disadvantaged homes struggling to keep up throughout their school years.

The poorest children face multiple challenges, being less likely to be born to well-educated parents, have a regular bedtime or live with both their biological father and mother, the study found. However, it also concluded that "good parenting can triumph", with families able to limit the effects of poverty by, for example, reading to their children daily.

Researchers from Bristol and Columbia universities analysed the performance of a representative sample of 12,644 British five-year-olds in a "naming vocabulary test" during 2006 and 2007. They then produced a "developmental age" score for each child, comparing their test results to the average achieved in the study.

The gap between rich and poor children, and even between middle-income and poor, was striking. Those from the poorest 20% of homes, where household annual incomes averaged £10,300 before tax, had an average developmental age of 53.6 months. The comparable figure for those from middle-income families, on around £30,000 a year, was 64.6 months, or 11 months ahead. Children from families in the richest 20% , on around £80,000, reached a development age of 69.8, a further five months ahead. Income itself accounted for only around a third of the differences in test scores, with some 48% caused by differences in parenting between the income groups.

Reading to a child every day was found to improve performance in the test – among children in the same income group, it raised scores by around two months – while regular library visits improved performance by 2.5 months. But only 45% of children from the poorest fifth of families were read to daily at the age of three, the study found, compared to 78% among the richest fifth.

More than a third of children from the poorest fifth of families were born to parents without a single GCSE A-C grade, while four in five of the richest families had at least one parent educated to degree level.

Some two thirds of children in the poorest income group did not live with both biological parents, compared to only one in 10 in middle-income families. Sir Peter Lampl, chairman of the Sutton Trust, said: "These findings are at once both shocking and encouraging, revealing the stark educational disadvantage experienced by children from poorer homes before they have even stepped into the school classroom, but also the potential for good parenting to overcome some of the negative impacts that poverty can have on children's early development."

The trust is now urging the government to abandon its plans to increase the amount of free nursery education it offers to all three-and-four-year-olds from 12.5 hours to 15 hours a week this year. Instead, it should provide 25 hours a week of education to the 15% most disadvantaged families. The trust also wants improvements in parenting classes for poorer families.

The children's minister, Delyth Morgan, said: "A huge amount has happened in recent years and it's a shame the Sutton Trust fails to reflect much of this. Many of its key recommendations have already been addressed. While there is much more to do, the gap between rich and poor in early years is closing, with the lowest-achieving children not only keeping pace but improving faster than the rest."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/15/poor-children-behind-sutton-trust/print

Poverty is the backdrop to the riots in Northern Ireland
It's no coincidence this violence has erupted in some of the UK's poorest areas. Deprivation is sectarianism's partner in crime

-

You've probably read a lot about Northern Ireland over the last few days – primarily about the rioting that has erupted and the condemnations and concern expressed about it. You may even have caught some of the videos on YouTube and watched (mainly) young men and teenagers bombard police with petrol bombs and whatever other makeshift weaponry comes to hand.

However, chances are that unless you know a lot about what is unfolding, or you regularly pay close attention to developments in Northern Ireland, you'll be understandably baffled and wondering why, when peace is supposed to have taken root, there are images reminiscent of the "bad old days" being "beamed around the world", as one police spokesman put it.

There are plenty of other reporters and writers on this site and elsewhere outlining the immediate backdrop to the riots, including the role of the Orange Order, the Parades Commission, dissidents and so-called "recreational rioters". While this is all absolutely essential to making sense of what's happening, it is nevertheless worth stepping back for a moment to examine it through a slightly different prism.

It is impossible for someone like myself, who grew up in one of the worst-affected areas during the Troubles, not to notice that the areas now reeling from riots, burning cars and confrontations with the police are the very same ones that suffered most in previous decades. This is no coincidence. It is no coincidence either that these riots are not taking place in more well-to-do parts of the province, just as they didn't in the past.

I watch these youngsters and, all but for a change of fashion, they could be the same people who were on the streets in the 70s and 80s. It is soul-destroying to observe.

There are considerable and complex reasons why the current generation are mimicking the last one, but one factor that is all too often ignored in the coverage is their life circumstances. The thing is, that for all the progress – and boy, has there been much to celebrate in recent years – districts such as the Ardoyne and parts of west Belfast remain areas of incredible, entrenched deprivation. For all the admirable work by individuals, local groups and communities at large to turn things around, sectarianism remains and poverty and social exclusion are its willing partners in crime.

It is too easy, and it is frankly irresponsible in the longer-term, to dismiss those rioting as "thugs" or "bigots" or "criminal elements" or, indeed, "recreational rioters" (and believe me, I know from bitter experience that all of these will have a part to play). If, as many of those analysing the situation as it unfolds suggest, the riots are the direct response of young people having their strings pulled by dissidents, that is still only one aspect. The fact is there has to be a considerable degree of frustration, hopelessness and anomie mixed in there with the old tribalism to be stoked up in the first place.

For all the investment of the post-Good Friday years and the political transformation, the parts of Northern Ireland you are reading about are among the most deprived in the UK. In some parts of north and west Belfast, unemployment is rampant (and was even during the boom), while the same areas are routinely at the bottom of almost every index for deprivation and exclusion. If we are serious about dealing with social exclusion, with poverty, with youth criminality, with knife crime – whatever manifestation of a troubled society we are talking about in Northern Ireland, or anywhere else for that matter – we need to start with asking "why", and we need to finish with an answer that doesn't simply reinforce the miserable status quo.

Make no mistake, this is not some kind of attempt to explain away violence, or to condone what's been happening in recent days. It is simply recognising the fact that the people who have lived in the areas affected deserve better. They have lived far too long with this.

In October last year, Alex Attwood of the SDLP (Social Democratic and Labour Party), talking about west Belfast in particular, summed up eloquently in an early day motion at the Northern Ireland Assembly a few hard truths that we should all bear in mind.

"I have offered some solutions to the problem of the lack of development in west Belfast, but the question is why it is so. It is not just because this part of our country has suffered, along with north Belfast, the greatest loss of life and the greatest upset and disorder through the years of conflict; it is also because west Belfast, when measured across virtually every multiple deprivation index, comes out bottom or near bottom of the league. That is confirmed by figures released in August [2009], which state that the west Belfast constituency … has the fourth highest unemployment rate of any Westminster constituency. That rate includes 22·6% of males and 7·3% of females: 15·8% overall. Imagine a street where 22·6% of the adult male population are not in work.

"Although those figures are harsh, they do not begin to tell the story of the struggle that some people face in order to live in those conditions. Those figures cannot convey the hopelessness and exasperation of people in that condition. They cannot and do not convey how alienating life can be for people in that condition. They cannot measure the damage done to the soul of an individual or of a community that has displayed such resilience in the face of adversity in every other way over the past 30 or 40 years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jul/14/belfast-riots-ardoyne-poverty-deprivation/print

Determinants of crime rates: Crime Deterrence and Growth in post-liberalized India

Dutta, Mousumi and Husain, Zakir (2009): Determinants of crime rates: Crime Deterrence and Growth in post-liberalized India. Unpublished.

Abstract

Becker’s analysis of crime and punishment has initiated a series of theoretical and empirical works investigating the determinants of crime. However, there is a dearth of literature in the context of developing countries. This paper is an attempt to address this deficiency. The paper investigates the relative impact of deterrence variables (load on police force, arrest rates, charge sheet rates, conviction rates and quick disposal of cases) and socio-economic variables (economic growth, poverty,, urbanization and education) on crime rates in India. State-level data is collected on the above variables for the period 1999 to 2005.Zellner’s SURE model is used to estimate the model. Subsequently, this is extended by introducing endogeneity. The results show that both deterrence and socioeconomic factors are important in explaining crime rates. However, some of their effects are different from that observed in studies for developed countries

http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/14478/1/MPRA_paper_14478.pdf

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
 -
Low socio-economic position is associated with poor social networks and social support: results from the Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study

Simone Weyers1*, Nico Dragano1, Susanne Möbus2, Eva-Maria Beck2, Andreas Stang4, Stephan Möhlenkamp3, Karl H Jöckel2, Raimund Erbel3 and Johannes Siegrist1

It becomes obvious that there is a difference between the number of reported ties and the number of ties with persons who are actually seen. Another interesting finding is that this difference widens with increasing socio-economic position.

http://www.equityhealthj.com/content/pdf/1475-9276-7-13.pdf

The debate on poverty in the EU is often closely associated with social exclusion.  The term social exclusion is used to emphasise the processes which push people to the edge of society, which limit their access to resources and opportunities, curtail their participation in normal social and cultural life leaving them feeling marginalised, powerless and discriminated against.  Another common term associated with poverty is vulnerability.  People are in a vulnerable situation when their personal well-being is put at risk because they lack sufficient resources, are at risk of being in debt, suffer poor health, experience educational disadvantage and live in inadequate housing and environment.  These are important related concepts.  However, not all people who are socially excluded or vulnerable are poor and EAPN in this note wishes to focus on the specific dimension of poverty.

http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/eapn.shtml

Jonathan Kozol author of "Shame of the Nation; The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America" visits SSU for the Andrea Neves and Barton Evans Social Justice Lecture Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxrgxFxYho

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com