EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Dear Black People,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dear Black People,
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Black People, Look In The Mirror, Are We The Reason?

Dear Black People,

Look in the mirror; are you the reason why Trayvon Martin is dead?

This morning when I woke up, I put on my black Invisible Bully hoodie, a pair of blue jeans and my sneakers. As I looked in the mirror I thought of Michael Skolnik's blog. I hate to admit it, but I looked suspicious. Then my heart sank into the pit of my stomach as I thought to myself, 'Could I be to blame for Trayvon Martin's death?'

I am not a thug, I am a vital part of a team that helps Russell Simmons run his multi-million dollar businesses. But in a dark alley, I am the reason ladies clutch their purse.

I started crying right there. My heart filled with guilt as I couldn't help but feel I have in some way propelled the stereotypes that plague black men.

I've learned to live with those stereotypes. We quickly learn that our dreams ain't what it seems. All black men know these streets are not safe for us. We know that we might end up on the wrong side of a cop's bullet for pulling out our wallets. We know that seeing a cop doesn't make us feel protected or safe, but instead, fear for our lives.

Since I was a young boy, that is how I learned to live. And unless things change I'll raise my sons the same way. At any moment, a young black male can end up like Trayvon Martin.

I embraced the hip-hop culture. I remember wearing my headphones on the train singing rap lyrics from Wu-Tang, Biggie, and others. I was expressing the struggles of what blacks have to go through in America. But to others, I was just a rowdy urban youth, up to no good, in desperate need of a belt. Hip-hop captures those emotions we felt better than anything, but instead of identifying it as giving voice to our cries for help, they dubbed it gangsta rap.

was born in the projects, the hand I was dealt wasn't a great one. My father was an abusive alcoholic, and my mother a high school drop out. Add in the fact that God popped me on the Earth dead smack in the middle of the crack era, it's safe to say I grew up in a war zone.

In the hood we are told many things, which were outlined in Aloe Blacc's song "Life Is So Hard:"

"I don't buy that line that it's nature's design you different, you ugly, you evil, you wrong

you stupid, you dumb, your mind ain't too strong

your daddy ain't from here, so you don't belong

and the list goes on and on and on and on...."

I must let you know that in the slums of America you have no choice but to look suspicious. Because if you don't, you get robbed, picked on, or worse: accused of acting white. I suffered those allegations. While my baggy jeans showed off my lack of fashion sense, I headed to my gifted and talented school every day and excelled. Excelled around a group of white kids who ridiculed me every single day. They thought and assumed I was something I was not. Poor project trash who didn't belong. I wonder what George Zimmerman would think of me if he saw me in his neighborhood. I wonder if I would make it out.

Trayvon didn't have to die! Not for that, not for going to get a pack of Skittles.

It's time for a change! We must stop feeding these stereotypes by killing each other, and not by accusing our brothers and sisters of "acting white."

At the same time, white America needs to understand that our clothes and music do not define us. We are fathers, brothers and sons who want to experience the American dream as well. Right now it's just a nightmare.

http://globalgrind.com/node/828637#.T2sTZYlcuUQ.facebook

-

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White People, You Will Never Look Suspicious! by Michael Skolnik

I will never look suspicious to you. Even if I have a black hoodie, a pair of jeans and white sneakers on...in fact, that is what I wore yesterday...I still will never look suspicious. No matter how much the hoodie covers my face or how baggie my jeans are, I will never look out of place to you. I will never watch a taxi cab pass me by to pick someone else up. I will never witness someone clutch their purse tightly against their body as they walk by me. I won't have to worry about a police car following me for two miles, so they can "run my plates." I will never have to pay before I eat. And I certainly will never get "stopped and frisked." I will never look suspicious to you, because of one thing and one thing only. The color of my skin. I am white.

I was born white. It was the card I was dealt. No choice in the matter. Just the card handed out by the dealer. I have lived my whole life privileged. Privileged to be born without a glass ceiling. Privileged to grow up in the richest country in the world. Privileged to never look suspicious. I have no guilt for the color of my skin or the privilege that I have. Remember, it was just the next card that came out of the deck. But, I have choices. I got choices on how I play the hand I was dealt. I got a lot of options. The ball is in my court.

So, today I decided to hit the ball. Making a choice. A choice to stand up for Trayvon Martin. 17 years old. black. innocent. murdered with a bag of skittles and a bottle of ice tea in his hands. "Suspicious." that is what the guy who killed him said he looked like cause he had on a black hoodie, a pair of jeans and white sneakers. But, remember I had on that same outfit yesterday. And yes my Air Force Ones were "brand-new" clean. After all, I was raised in hip-hop...part of our dress code. I digress. Back to Trayvon and the gated community in Sanford, Florida, where he was visiting his father.

I got a lot of emails about Trayvon. I have read a lot of articles. I have seen a lot of television segments. The message is consistent. Most of the commentators, writers, op-ed pages agree. Something went wrong. Trayvon was murdered. Racially profiled. Race. America's elephant that never seems to leave the room. But, the part that doesn't sit well with me is that all of the messengers of this message are all black too. I mean, it was only two weeks ago when almost every white person I knew was tweeting about stopping a brutal African warlord from killing more innocent children. And they even took thirty minutes out of their busy schedules to watch a movie about dude. They bought t-shirts. Some bracelets. Even tweeted at Rihanna to take a stance. But, a 17 year old American kid is followed and then ultimately killed by a neighborhood vigilante who happens to be carrying a semi-automatic weapon and my white friends are quiet. Eerily quiet. Not even a trending topic for the young man.

We've heard the 911 calls. We seen the 13 year old witness. We've read the letter from the alleged killer's father. We listened to the anger of the family's attorney. We've felt the pain of Trayvon's mother. For heaven's sake, for 24 hours he was a deceased John Doe at the hospital because even the police couldn't believe that maybe he LIVES in the community. There are still some facts to figure out. There are still some questions to be answered. But, let's be clear. Let's be very, very clear. Before the neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, started following him against the better judgement of the 911 dispatcher. Before any altercation. Before any self-defense claim. Before Travyon's cries for help were heard on the 911 tapes. Before the bullet hit him dead in the chest. Before all of this. He was suspicious. He was suspicious. suspicious. And you know, like I know, it wasn't because of the hoodie or the jeans or the sneakers. Cause I had on that same outfit yesterday and no one called 911 saying I was just wandering around their neighborhood. It was because of one thing and one thing only. Trayvon is black.

So I've made the choice today to tell my white friends that the rights I take for granted are only valid if I fight to give those same rights to others. The taxi cab. The purse. The meal. The police car. The police. These are all things I've taken for granted.

So, I fight for Trayvon Martin. I fight for Amadou Diallo. I fight for Rodney King. I fight for every young black man who looks "suspicious" to someone who thinks they have the right to take away their freedom to walk through their own neighborhood. I fight against my own stereotypes and my own suspicions. I fight for people whose ancestors built this country, literally, and who are still treated like second class citizens. Being quiet is not an option, for we have been too quiet for too long.

http://globalgrind.com/news/michael-skolnik-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-race-sanford-florida-photos-pictures

-

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
facts
Member # 19596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for facts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiphop is to blame. I am sorry for the lost the family had to suffer and must now bear, but had Trayvon not been influenced by Hiphop culture, he might still be alive today. Two fatal errors he made that evening, pretending to have a gun and trying to look like a thug by putting on the hoodie when he became aware he was being watched.
Posts: 816 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omo Baba
Member # 18816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omo Baba         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TruthAndRights:
It's time for a change! We must stop feeding these stereotypes by killing each other, and not by accusing our brothers and sisters of "acting white."

I hope the writer of this piece is not suggesting that Trayvon Martin was killed because black people feed into stereotypes of some kind. What happened to Trayvon has historical precedent that run back all the way to the year 1600 in the good ol' USA. All those lynchings and burning at stake were not because black people fed into stereotypes. WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM.

quote:
As long as you think you're white, there's no hope for you - Jame Baldwin

Posts: 314 | From: Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Omo Baba:
quote:

I hope the writer of this piece is not suggesting that Trayvon Martin was killed because black people feed into stereotypes of some kind. What happened to Trayvon has historical precedent that run back all the way to year 1600 in good the ol' USA. All those lynchings and burning at stake were not because black people fed into stereotypes. WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM.

Indeed he does have a valid point, but like you said "I hope the writer of this piece is not suggesting that..." I hope he's not saying that; it reads like he is saying it contributed....regardless, as to the rest of your response, I only have one word: INDEED.

However, in these days and times, I am NOT going to say that yte people are THE ONLY problem; I love my people too much to deny that our Black youth are killing each other at an alarming rate, and it can NOT all be laid at the feet of the yte man, it cannot...

who recalls that old Ice Cube tune 'Us'

Could you tell me who released our animal instinct? An' the white man sittin' there tickled pink Laughin' at us on the avenue Bustin' caps at each other after havin' brew
We can't enjoy ourselves Too busy jealous at each other's wealth Comin' up is just in me But the black community is full of envy
Too much back stabbin' While I look out the window I see all the Japs grabbin' Every vacant lot in my neighborhood Build a store and sell their goods
To the county of sips You know us po niggas nappy hair and big lips? Four or five babies on your crotch And you expect "Uncle Sam" to help us out?
We ain't nothin' but porch monkeys To the average bigot, redneck honky You say comin' up is a must But before we can come up, take a look at us
And all y'all dope-dealers Your as bad as the police 'cause ya kill us You got rich when you started slangin' dope But you ain't built us a supermarket So when can spend our money with the blacks Too busy buyin' gold an' Cadillacs
That's what ya doin' with the money that ya raisin' Exploitin' us like the Caucasians did For 400 years, I got 400 tears, for 400 peers
Died last year from gang-related crimes That's why I got gang-related rhymes But when I do a show ta kick some facts Us blacks don't know how ta act
Sometimes I believe the hype, man We're messin' up ourselves and blame the white man But don't point the finger you jiggaboo Take a look at yourself ya dumb nigga you
Pretty soon hip-hop won't be so nice No Ice Cube, just Vanilla Ice And y'all sit and screamin' and cuss But there's no one ta blame but us
Us will always sing the blues 'Cause all we care about is hairstyles and tennis shoes An' if ya step on mine ya pushed a button 'Cause I'll beat you down like it ain't nothin'
Just like a beast But I'm the first nigga ta holler out 'peace' I beat my wife and children to a pulp When I get drunk and smoke dope
Got a bad heart condition Still eat hog-mogs an' chitlin's Bet my money on the dice and the horses Jobless, so I'm a hope for the armed forces
Go to church but they tease us Wit' a picture of a blue-eyed Jesus They used to call me Negro After all this time I'm still bustin' up the chifforobe
No respect and didn't know it And I'm havin' more babies than I really can afford In jail 'cause I can't pay the mother Held back in life because of my color
Now, this is just a little summary Of us, but y'all think it's dumb of me To hold a mirror to ya face But trust, nobody gives a **** about US

Might don't like him or what he has to say, but it's REAL BLOODCLAAT TALK DEHSUH...and he wrote that when- back in the 1990s or so?

quote:
As long as you think you're white, there's no hope for you
- Jame Baldwin

^ INDEED.....
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
White People, You Will Never Look Suspicious! by Michael Skolnik

I will never look suspicious to you. Even if I have a black hoodie, a pair of jeans and white sneakers on...in fact, that is what I wore yesterday...I still will never look suspicious. No matter how much the hoodie covers my face or how baggie my jeans are, I will never look out of place to you. I will never watch a taxi cab pass me by to pick someone else up. I will never witness someone clutch their purse tightly against their body as they walk by me. I won't have to worry about a police car following me for two miles, so they can "run my plates." I will never have to pay before I eat. And I certainly will never get "stopped and frisked." I will never look suspicious to you, because of one thing and one thing only. The color of my skin. I am white.

I was born white. It was the card I was dealt. No choice in the matter. Just the card handed out by the dealer. I have lived my whole life privileged. Privileged to be born without a glass ceiling. Privileged to grow up in the richest country in the world. Privileged to never look suspicious. I have no guilt for the color of my skin or the privilege that I have. Remember, it was just the next card that came out of the deck. But, I have choices. I got choices on how I play the hand I was dealt. I got a lot of options. The ball is in my court.

So, today I decided to hit the ball. Making a choice. A choice to stand up for Trayvon Martin. 17 years old. black. innocent. murdered with a bag of skittles and a bottle of ice tea in his hands. "Suspicious." that is what the guy who killed him said he looked like cause he had on a black hoodie, a pair of jeans and white sneakers. But, remember I had on that same outfit yesterday. And yes my Air Force Ones were "brand-new" clean. After all, I was raised in hip-hop...part of our dress code. I digress. Back to Trayvon and the gated community in Sanford, Florida, where he was visiting his father.

I got a lot of emails about Trayvon. I have read a lot of articles. I have seen a lot of television segments. The message is consistent. Most of the commentators, writers, op-ed pages agree. Something went wrong. Trayvon was murdered. Racially profiled. Race. America's elephant that never seems to leave the room. But, the part that doesn't sit well with me is that all of the messengers of this message are all black too. I mean, it was only two weeks ago when almost every white person I knew was tweeting about stopping a brutal African warlord from killing more innocent children. And they even took thirty minutes out of their busy schedules to watch a movie about dude. They bought t-shirts. Some bracelets. Even tweeted at Rihanna to take a stance. But, a 17 year old American kid is followed and then ultimately killed by a neighborhood vigilante who happens to be carrying a semi-automatic weapon and my white friends are quiet. Eerily quiet. Not even a trending topic for the young man.

We've heard the 911 calls. We seen the 13 year old witness. We've read the letter from the alleged killer's father. We listened to the anger of the family's attorney. We've felt the pain of Trayvon's mother. For heaven's sake, for 24 hours he was a deceased John Doe at the hospital because even the police couldn't believe that maybe he LIVES in the community. There are still some facts to figure out. There are still some questions to be answered. But, let's be clear. Let's be very, very clear. Before the neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, started following him against the better judgement of the 911 dispatcher. Before any altercation. Before any self-defense claim. Before Travyon's cries for help were heard on the 911 tapes. Before the bullet hit him dead in the chest. Before all of this. He was suspicious. He was suspicious. suspicious. And you know, like I know, it wasn't because of the hoodie or the jeans or the sneakers. Cause I had on that same outfit yesterday and no one called 911 saying I was just wandering around their neighborhood. It was because of one thing and one thing only. Trayvon is black.

So I've made the choice today to tell my white friends that the rights I take for granted are only valid if I fight to give those same rights to others. The taxi cab. The purse. The meal. The police car. The police. These are all things I've taken for granted.

So, I fight for Trayvon Martin. I fight for Amadou Diallo. I fight for Rodney King. I fight for every young black man who looks "suspicious" to someone who thinks they have the right to take away their freedom to walk through their own neighborhood. I fight against my own stereotypes and my own suspicions. I fight for people whose ancestors built this country, literally, and who are still treated like second class citizens. Being quiet is not an option, for we have been too quiet for too long.

http://globalgrind.com/news/michael-skolnik-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-race-sanford-florida-photos-pictures

-

I'MA GO AHEAD AND BIG UP DI YTE YUTE WHO AUTHORED THIS TING HERE....

*UNNU BETTER MARK UNNU CALENDAR FOR THIS RARE EVENT, NOT TOO OFTEN I DO THIS LOL*

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dear Black People,

This morning when I woke up, I put on my black Invisible Bully hoodie, a pair of blue jeans and my sneakers. As I looked in the mirror I thought of Michael Skolnik's blog. I hate to admit it, but I looked suspicious. Then my heart sank into the pit of my stomach as I thought to myself, 'Could I be to blame for Trayvon Martin's death?'

I am not a thug, I am a vital part of a team that helps Russell Simmons run his multi-million dollar businesses. But in a dark alley, I am the reason ladies clutch their purse.

I started crying right there. My heart filled with guilt as I couldn't help but feel I have in some way propelled the stereotypes that plague black men.

I've learned to live with those stereotypes. We quickly learn that our dreams ain't what it seems. All black men know these streets are not safe for us. We know that we might end up on the wrong side of a cop's bullet for pulling out our wallets. We know that seeing a cop doesn't make us feel protected or safe, but instead, fear for our lives.

Since I was a young boy, that is how I learned to live. And unless things change I'll raise my sons the same way. At any moment, a young black male can end up like Trayvon Martin.

I embraced the hip-hop culture. I remember wearing my headphones on the train singing rap lyrics from Wu-Tang, Biggie, and others. I was expressing the struggles of what blacks have to go through in America. But to others, I was just a rowdy urban youth, up to no good, in desperate need of a belt. Hip-hop captures those emotions we felt better than anything, but instead of identifying it as giving voice to our cries for help, they dubbed it gangsta rap.

was born in the projects, the hand I was dealt wasn't a great one. My father was an abusive alcoholic, and my mother a high school drop out. Add in the fact that God popped me on the Earth dead smack in the middle of the crack era, it's safe to say I grew up in a war zone.

In the hood we are told many things, which were outlined in Aloe Blacc's song "Life Is So Hard:"

"I don't buy that line that it's nature's design you different, you ugly, you evil, you wrong

I must let you know that in the slums of America you have no choice but to look suspicious. Because if you don't, you get robbed, picked on, or worse: accused of acting white. I suffered those allegations. While my baggy jeans showed off my lack of fashion sense, I headed to my gifted and talented school every day and excelled. Excelled around a group of white kids who ridiculed me every single day. They thought and assumed I was something I was not. Poor project trash who didn't belong. I wonder what George Zimmerman would think of me if he saw me in his neighborhood. I wonder if I would make it out.

Trayvon didn't have to die! Not for that, not for going to get a pack of Skittles.

At the same time, white America needs to understand that our clothes and music do not define us. We are fathers, brothers and sons who want to experience the American dream as well. Right now it's just a nightmare.

-

Good post I can definitely empathize with your situation even though I grew up more in middle class suburban America.

And the truth is things have gotten worse since I've grown up due to the way Black people like to portray ourselves on TV Videos etc.

Does gangster rap feed into stereotypes - yes. Unfortunately you will have to get a lot of black people to understand that stereotypes don't just go away by wishing them away. White people are not Gods and if certain images r put out there constantly, they, like black people will continue to assume the worst about US.

BTW when I used to live in Harlem I would be out at night walking (this is before the gentrification) and there was not a single time that a black person walking ahead in front of me who had probably grown up there didn't turn around to see who was walking after them or didn't cross the street as I was approaching because I am a tall person although a woman.

To each his own, and black people have to start owning up to creating their own world for ALL to absorb.

The guy that killed Trayvon was mentally off and ignorant and there are many like him which is all the more reason why not to feed into others worse perceptions.

I have a brother who was stopped in his car because of the type of car in California he was driving - by a black cop. There are houses in his neighborhood owned by mainly whites going into foreclosure while he easily affords his, yet he has been stopped more than once.

Although I believe a black teenager was murdered in the case of Trayvon (that blood curdling scream is unbearable to hear), I would still say white people are not gods, they are not special, black leaders especially need to wake up and stop making excuses for how we have and continue to defined ourselves or we will continue to face unwanted offenses by suspicious and everyday people both Black, White and otherwise. [Eek!]

Perceptions need to change not just actions if all r to live productive lives in U.S. society.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hip Hop culture begans in 1979. The comparsion is the 70s to 80s.
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:

Is that all you have to say.

I knew you weren't black. You have no emotional connection whatsoever to what this man has posted.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
facts
Member # 19596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for facts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiphop culture has destroyed whatever moral fiber Black America ever had. What is so fucking insane is that Blacks will not permit their children from wearing the wrong colors in gang infested hoods, but will call foul when non blacks stereotype their style of clothing. This is straight up self-hate, holding non blacks to higher standards. I firmly believe that Blacks will never progress, socially. If anything, Blacks are regressing.
Posts: 816 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dana, ass-umption
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys we already have a topic on the issue of blaming hip hop and the idea that stupid assed stereotypes catering to WHITE males as it's primary audience is enough to murder someone in cold blood I'm sorry but it isn't. It's just as dumb as killing every woman who wears a hijab because you're scared they've got a bomb strapped to their bodies.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
President Obama: Trayvon Martin case a ‘tragedy’

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/23/2709583/president-trayvon-case-a-tragedy.html#storylink=cpy
BY LESLEY CLARK
LCLARK@MCCLATCHYDC.COM  -
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama spoke out Friday on the Trayvon Martin shooting for the first time, calling the incident a “tragedy” and invoking his own children.

“I can only imagine what these parents are going through,” the president said, adding that he couldn’t help but think about his daughters. “I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this.

“My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin,” he added. “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

The president said he was pleased to hear that Florida Gov. Rick Scott has appointed a task force to look into the incident.

“I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen,”

Noting that his attorney general is looking into the case, the president prefaced his remarks by saying it was important he was not “impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.”

Obama’s remarks came as he stood in the Rose Garden to introduce his new choice for the president of the World Bank.

They were his first remarks on the incident. The White House earlier in the week noted it was a “local” event.

Travyon’s parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, issued a statement after the Obama spoke, saying it was “humbling” that the president had taken time to talk about their son.

“The president's personal comments touched us deeply and made us wonder: If his son looked liked Trayvon and wore a hoodie, would he be suspicious too?” the statement said. “We'd like to thank the president and the millions of people from around the world who have shown their support for Trayvon by participating in hoodie marches, rallies or through social media. We are all working together to not only get justice for Trayvon, but also to ensure that this kind of senseless tragedy doesn't happen to another child.”

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney also issued a statement Friday about the case.

“What happened to Trayvon Martin is a tragedy,” Romney said “There needs to be a thorough investigation that reassures the public that justice is carried out with impartiality and integrity.”

Is he the first president to speak out on a specific case of this kind?

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Omo Baba:
quote:

I hope the writer of this piece is not suggesting that Trayvon Martin was killed because black people feed into stereotypes of some kind. What happened to Trayvon has historical precedent that run back all the way to the year 1600 in the good ol' USA. All those lynchings and burning at stake were not because black people fed into stereotypes. WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM.

quote:
As long as you think you're white, there's no hope for you - Jame Baldwin

White people fed the stereotypes previously. now its mostly black people in the USA who are feeding them. No doubt.
facts
Member # 19596

Member Rated:
Who got murdered? Someone was killed but I was not aware that a murder took place. Did the courts decide that it was murder? Oshun, your bias runs amuck.

quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
guys we already have a topic on the issue of blaming hip hop and the idea that stupid assed stereotypes catering to WHITE males as it's primary audience is enough to murder someone in cold blood I'm sorry but it isn't. It's just as dumb as killing every woman who wears a hijab because you're scared they've got a bomb strapped to their bodies.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
President Obama: Trayvon Martin case a ‘tragedy’

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/23/2709583/president-trayvon-case-a-tragedy.html#storylink=cpy
BY LESLEY CLARK
LCLARK@MCCLATCHYDC.COM  -
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama spoke out Friday on the Trayvon Martin shooting for the first time, calling the incident a “tragedy” and invoking his own children.

“I can only imagine what these parents are going through,” the president said, adding that he couldn’t help but think about his daughters. “I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this.

“My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin,” he added. “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

The president said he was pleased to hear that Florida Gov. Rick Scott has appointed a task force to look into the incident.

“I think all of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how does something like this happen,”

Noting that his attorney general is looking into the case, the president prefaced his remarks by saying it was important he was not “impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.”

Obama’s remarks came as he stood in the Rose Garden to introduce his new choice for the president of the World Bank.

They were his first remarks on the incident. The White House earlier in the week noted it was a “local” event.

Travyon’s parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, issued a statement after the Obama spoke, saying it was “humbling” that the president had taken time to talk about their son.

“The president's personal comments touched us deeply and made us wonder: If his son looked liked Trayvon and wore a hoodie, would he be suspicious too?” the statement said. “We'd like to thank the president and the millions of people from around the world who have shown their support for Trayvon by participating in hoodie marches, rallies or through social media. We are all working together to not only get justice for Trayvon, but also to ensure that this kind of senseless tragedy doesn't happen to another child.”

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney also issued a statement Friday about the case.

“What happened to Trayvon Martin is a tragedy,” Romney said “There needs to be a thorough investigation that reassures the public that justice is carried out with impartiality and integrity.”

Is he the first president to speak out on a specific case of this kind?

I am still waiting for an emotionally based response from you.

As I suspected you DO NOT HAVE ONE! Lyin_ss the closet racist. [Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
[QUOTE]I am still waiting for an emotionally based response from you.

As I suspected you DO NOT HAVE ONE! Closet racist. [Big Grin] [/QB]

If I don't demonstrate emotion to you emotion then the definition is I'm a closet racist?

These incidents have been occuring for a long time. These things don't surprise me anymore. This was terrible tragedy and it breaks my heart

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:

Dear Black People,

-

Turhth and rights - your posting is important because in reality it is the position almost every black person is in now due to both white and black attitudes and perceptions.

It doesn't matter whether you are Oprah or Trayvon or because frankly all people's brains are wired for survival and if black people are fraid of other black people in the U.S. and feel they have to don gangsta colors to survive in their neighborhoods than it is just a vicious cycle we are all caught up in that is however perpetuated by BET and gangsta rap videos.

BTW - don't forget that Oprah who has been a victim of race prejudice herself didn't even want to work with minority schools here in the US because of her own experiences. She chose to go all the way over to Africa to make a difference.

I feel for the person that wrote that piece or people in that position who are trying to survive by doing the right thing, and not just casting blame.

Those who stay strong and SMART survive. But I believe a lot blacks think that since they feel they are down they don't care about letting anyone else get up. They don't care about the ancestors who struggled so hard to create schools and colleges in the late 1800s and early 1900s so that they could progress and be like others here. They don't value the legacy of black people in the U.S. I don't know if its because they don't know about it and because white liberals and black "progressives" only want us to learn only of black victimhood and slavery like the whites. They don't know that 2/3rd of skilled craftsmen in the South were black Americans and other such information. Or else they don't care. I can't figure out which yet.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
[QUOTE]I am still waiting for an emotionally based response from you.

As I suspected you DO NOT HAVE ONE! Closet racist. [Big Grin]

If I don't demonstrate emotion to you emotion then the definition is I'm a closet racist?

These incidents have been occuring for a long time. These things don't surprise me anymore. This was terrible tragedy and it breaks my heart [/QB]

Too late! your lack of emotional connection to the issue has already been confirmed by somebody's common sense. [Big Grin]

"Incidents"... "things"...? comeon now LYIn_ss. Do yourself a favor and stop giving yourself away.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

lol. Hip Hop culture began way before that, remember I had symposium by pioneers of Hip Hop.

1979 is when the first rap record came out, by the fat bag band.

You always think you know sh*t better than anyone else.

Commonly misunderstood simply as rap music, hip hop is a movement that includes emceeing (popularly known as rapping), DJing, graffiti writing, and breakdancing. It traces its roots to 1973 and Sedgwick Avenue in the west Bronx, where two locals named DJ Kool Herc and Coke La Rock jammed for a group of kids. Unable to afford instruments, the pair -- influenced in part by Jamaican traditions -- rhymed over records.

http://www.ithaca.com/news/local_news/article_3fbaeeb7-628e-5fa7-90c3-f9b1fe69cc74.html?mode=print

Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com