EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Greco-Buddhist art: the first renditions of the Buddha

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greco-Buddhist art: the first renditions of the Buddha
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of western historians of India consider the year 563 BC as being the birth-year of the Buddha and also the earliest assured date in Indian history.
About 600 years later between the 2nd century BCE and the 1st century CE, the first human representations of the Buddha were developed. These were absent from earlier Buddhist art, which preferred to represent the Buddha with symbols such as the stupa, the Bodhi tree, the empty seat, the wheel, or the footprints.

-

Gandhara Buddha. 1st-2nd century.

Greco-Buddhist art is the artistic manifestation of Greco-Buddhism, a cultural syncretism between the Classical Greek culture and Buddhism, which developed over a period of close to 1000 years in Central Asia, between the conquests of Alexander the Great in the 4th century BCE, and the Islamic conquests of the 7th century CE. Greco-Buddhist art is characterized by the strong idealistic realism and sensuous description and of Hellenistic art and the first representations of the Buddha in human form, which have helped define the artistic (and particularly, sculptural) canon for Buddhist art throughout the Asian continent up to the present. It is also a strong example of cultural syncretism between eastern and western traditions.
The origins of Greco-Buddhist art are to be found in the Hellenistic Greco-Bactrian kingdom (250 BCE- 130 BCE), located in today’s Afghanistan, from which Hellenistic culture radiated into the Indian subcontinent with the establishment of the Indo-Greek kingdom (180 BCE-10 BCE). Under the Indo-Greeks and then the Kushans, the interaction of Greek and Buddhist culture flourished in the area of Gandhara, in today’s northern Pakistan, before spreading further into India, influencing the art of Mathura, and then the Hindu art of the Gupta empire, which was to extend to the rest of South-East Asia. The influence of Greco-Buddhist art also spread northward towards Central Asia, strongly affecting the art of the Tarim Basin, and ultimately the arts of China, Korea, and Japan.
Hellenistic kingdoms established cities on the Greek model, such as in Ai-Khanoum in Bactria, displaying purely Hellenistic architectural features, Hellenistic statuary, and remains of Aristotelician papyrus prints and coin hoards.
These Greek elements penetrated in northwestern India following the invasion of the Greco-Bactrians in 180 BCE, when they established the Indo-Greek kingdom in India. Fortified Greek cities, such as Sirkap in northern Pakistan, were established. Architectural styles used Hellenistic decorative motifs such as fruit garland and scrolls. Stone palettes for aromatic oils representing purely Hellenistic themes such as a Nereid riding a Ketos sea monster are found.
In Hadda, Hellenistic deities, such as Atlas are found. Wind gods are depicted, which will affect the representation of wind deities as far as Japan. Dionysiac scenes represent people in Classical style drinking wine from amphoras and playing instruments.As soon as the Greeks invaded India to form the Indo-Greek kingdom, a fusion of Hellenistic and Buddhist elements started to appear, encouraged by the benevolence of the Greek kings towards Buddhism. This artistic trend then developed for several centuries and seemed to flourish further during the Kushan Empire from the 1st century CEFoucher especially considered Hellenistic free-standing Buddhas as "the most beautiful, and probably the most ancient of the Buddhas", assigning them to the 1st century BCE, and making them the starting point of the anthropomorphic representations of the Buddha ("The Buddhist art of Gandhara", Marshall, p101)

-

One of the first representations of the Buddha, 1st-2nd century CE, Gandhara: Standing Buddha (Tokyo National Museum)

-

Greco-Buddhist head of Buddha, stucco, Hadda, Afghanistan, 1st-2nd century CE.

-
Standing Buddha (detail) 
Gandhara, second half of the 2nd century A.D.

mad?

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now lets see you expect folks to start spamming pics of curly haired Buddha with full lips,keeping in mind the Greeks used their own artistic cannon as stated above..but "sigh" Smh I am sure others will indulge you [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di gyal is a whore fi attention.....

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a nice find even for historical study, as I did not know the Greeks were the ones to develop the Human image of Bhudda, but for a second I forgot that anything posted to E.S must have a racial aspect to it..so never mind then

Same ole BS

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I did not know the Greeks were the ones to develop the Human image of Bhudda."

Damn you're stupid.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
"I did not know the Greeks were the ones to develop the Human image of Bhudda."

Damn you're stupid.

Stuuuuuuupiiiiiiiiiiiiid, and poorly shooled. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omo Baba
Member # 18816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omo Baba         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP is stupider than the man in this pic
 -

--------------------
It was high time

Posts: 314 | From: Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
duplicate
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
quote:
Originally posted by Omo Baba:
OP is stupider than the man in this pic

what's stupid? the fact that you cannot argue the facts given in the initial post and are now blindly following the LTC?

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:

Wiki upload

-

Gandhara Buddha. 1st-2nd century.

Some commercial site

-

One of the first representations of the Buddha, 1st-2nd century CE, Gandhara: Standing Buddha (Tokyo National Museum)

Imageshack

-

Greco-Buddhist head of Buddha, stucco, Hadda, Afghanistan, 1st-2nd century CE.

Japan

-
Standing Buddha (detail) 

Gandhara, second half of the 2nd century A.D.

mad?

No, not mad, just curious.

Why is it that you are posting "Supposed" pictures of Buddha from everywhere but where he was from?

You DO recall that Siddhartha Gautama "Buddha" (Great Teacher), was an Indian.

I'm sure that it was just an oversight on your part - here let me help you out.

Sarnath Museum, India. 4th century CE

-

Buddha, Stone, Sarnath Museum, 5th c. CE.

-

British Museum

-

Lioness, as you can see, the "AUTHENTIC" pictures that I posted, look quite DIFFERENT from the pictures that YOU posted. Considering how Albinos like yourself lie. I'm going to have to ask you to authentic the pictures that you posted.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Anglo_Pyramidologist - Is that "Nappy" enough for you?

But it is nice - and funny - how you can get ignorant Negroes agonizing over a symbol of civilized modern man.

Though I must admit, those too stupid to groom their hair, are rather scroungy looking. But you can find low class people anywhere.

But agonizing at the hands of a defective Albino no less, with hair like the wild animals have, is what gets me.

Damn Niggers are stupid.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Perusing the British Museum.

-

Bronze figure of the seated Buddha. 5th century.

-

Sandstone figure of the Buddha 5th century

-

Sandstone figure of the Buddha 5th century

-

Bronze figure of the Buddha Shakyamuni 7th century.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DON'T WORRY ALBINOS, I'VE GOT ONE FOR YOU.

-

Stucco head of a monk

Said to be from Hadda, Gandhara
4th-5th century AD.

Not quite Buddha, but the closest thing, one of his ass-kissing monks.

Ya, I know, it's probably the head of a slave, but I'll show mercy and give the Albinos one.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Perusing the Met Museum, New York, U.S.

-

Mon-Dvaravati period 7th–8th century

-

Gupta dynasty (ca. 321–ca. 500)

-

Mon-Dvaravati period 7th–8th century

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many years ago, I realized that the Metropolitan museum in New York, was little more than the Albinos showcase for their bogus artifacts, so I was expecting this - they have several like it.

-

1st to mid-2nd century, Pakistan (ancient region of Gandhara)

To understand WHY it's total bullsh1t, you have to know history.

First, until 1947 there was no Pakistan, there was simply India.

From 1612 to 1947 the British ruled India.

And in that time, they looted everything of material or cultural value.

So you really have to be stupid to believe that the Metropolitan museum would have older Buddha's than the British museum.

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Lioness, I believe the ball is in your court.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you like playing with her don't you?
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
^Like any of you, I sometimes feel lazy and uninspired. That's why it's necessary to have an archenemy to spur you into action. Lioness serves that function for me.

And as is sometimes the case, it spurred me to new thinking. I'm considering a new thread on the subject.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Lioness, I believe the ball is in your court.

Mike why are you posting sculptures of the Buddha that are centuries later than the ones I posted?
 -

The earliest sculptures of the Buddha are the Gandharas of the 1st-2nd century.

^^^^ here is a straight haired black man with North East African features (see E.C. & I.L. et al) therefore you should have no problem with it.

In contrast below is a so called curly haired Persian hair style white man:
 -

The first textual mention of historical Gandhara, the region that lies in the northwest of Pakistan and eastern Afghanistan, was in the ninth century BCE. Over the next nine hundred years the region was conquered by Alexander the Great, the Indian Mauryan dynasty, the Parthians, the Indo-Greeks, and finally the Central Asian Kushan Empire. This complex history, with its many cultural influences, formed the foundation for a region where Buddhism and Buddhist art would flourish and develop unique characteristics.

Art from Gandhara is notable for its striking stylistic qualities, many of which reflect complex connections to Greco-Roman and Parthian art. The region was a crossroads where the early influences of the western classical world met with Indian imagery and local practices. At the same time, Gandhara is also important for the unique forms of Buddhist imagery that emerged there. These include an array of relief scenes from the life of the Buddha, images of multiple buddhas, and sculptures of bodhisattvas.

The legacy of Gandharan Buddhism and its remarkable art can still be detected throughout Asia. Although its heartland was located in present-day Pakistan, Gandharan culture spread through Central Asia and reached the Tarim Basin. Many ideas and images that developed in Gandhara eventually traveled to China, and from there to Korea and Japan. This extraordinary history makes Gandharan art of enduring importance to scholars east and west.

More straight haired black-greekish buddhas:
 -

Buddha (Gandhara period), 1st Century

-

GANDHARA-STYLE SCULPTURE 2ND CE

Lessing photo archive, British Museum

^^^^^ Mike here are some of the earliest depictions of the Buddha in human form.

Don't panic and post up other sculptures from later periods the thread topic is Greco Buddhist art and here I am showing some examples of it. As we have curly haired whites we also have these straight haired blacks with North East African features. Stop trying to promote big lip, wide nose true Negroist ideaology.

thanks, lioness

and the Dravidians originally came from Africa before settling in India (Dr. Winter's teaching)
therefore _____'nos are depigmented Africans

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African-featured Buddha (uppermost image), Southern India, Maharashtra, Ajanta Cave 11, 200 BC

-

http://www.beforebc.de/400_neareast/02-16-600-55.html

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Marc. The topic is Greco-Buddhist art. Please learn to stay focused. The above are poorly displayed tiny pictures, no specifics for statues in map B. You mention in the text Gandhara in Pakistan but in map B Pakistan no sculpture showing.
Poorly done excuse to self promote your cherry picked cartoonish graphics. The topic is not Buddhist sculpture in general anyway. It's Greco-Buddhist sculpture of Gandhara

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

"the first renditions of the Buddha"

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Lioness - The topic may be Greco-Buddhist art, but the issue is, and will always be, Albino distortions of history.

To your credit, you never SAID that Buddha was an Albino, but you are certainly implying it. Then there is the issues of the statues: Albinos in the north portraying themselves as Buddha before modern times? No way!

Some history on Buddha should put that to rest.

The Buddhist

Another, who led a religious movement to relieve suffering, was a prince named "Siddhartha Gautama", later to be known as the "Buddha" (Great Teacher). Siddhartha was born into the Sakya tribe at the foot of the Himalayan Mountains, just north of the Ganges Valley. Siddhartha lived in a small city named "Kapilavastu" (in what is now southern Nepal). He is reported to have seen his native city over-run and its people butchered by the Arians. The Sakya tribe was under Arian suzerainty, but had retained it's independence in exchange for a tribute paid to Arian overlords. The Sakya tribe had aristocrats and commoners, and according to legend, Siddhartha was a prince.

According to legend, in his youth, Siddhartha had been sheltered from the ugliness and poverty all around him. But when he was twenty nine - around 534 B.C. - he decided to become a wanderer. Apparently Siddhartha withdrew from a world, that he saw as inhospitable to conquered royalty such as he. Though he was disturbed by the Arian's, he was also fascinated by the Arian people who had destroyed his state and its traditions. The legend created by his followers, describes Siddhartha as having become a wanderer, in order to learn about human existence. He became an ascetic and abused his body by hardly eating. After accepting failure, in his quest to gain understanding of human existence, Siddhartha began eating better, and he began devising what he believed were better solutions to human misery.

-

From Wiki:
Shakya was an ancient tribe of the Indian Subcontinent in the 1st millennium BCE. (He was born around 560 B.C. that would be 5/6 century B.C.). In Buddhist texts the Shakyas, the inhabitants of Shakya janapada, are mentioned as a Kshatriya clan of Gotama gotra.

The most famous Shakya was Gautama Buddha, a member of the ruling Gautama clan of Lumbini, who is also known as Shakyamuni Buddha, "sage of the Shakyas", due to his association with this ancient (Kirat) kingdom.

The Hindu Puranas mention Shakya as a king of Ikshvaku dynasty, son of Sanjaya and father of Shuddhodana.

Indologist Michael Witzel has suggested that the similarity of the name Śākya and Śaka (the Indian and Persian name for the Scythians) is no coincidence. He thinks the Śākyas were "an early incursion of the Scythians" into India.

I offered the Wiki nonsense, just as an example of how Albinos worm their way into Black history with their lies and nonsense. And just how those ignorant of history will be taken in.

CelticWarrioress
Banned
Member # 19701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CelticWarrioress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lioness - The topic may be Greco-Buddhist art, but the issue is, and will always be, Albino distortions of history.

To your credit, you never SAID that Buddha was an Albino, but you are certainly implying it. Then there is the issues of the statues: Albinos in the north portraying themselves as Buddha before modern times? No way!

Some history on Buddha should put that to rest.

The Buddhist

Another, who led a religious movement to relieve suffering, was a prince named "Siddhartha Gautama", later to be known as the "Buddha" (Great Teacher). Siddhartha was born into the Sakya tribe at the foot of the Himalayan Mountains, just north of the Ganges Valley. Siddhartha lived in a small city named "Kapilavastu" (in what is now southern Nepal). He is reported to have seen his native city over-run and its people butchered by the Arians. The Sakya tribe was under Arian suzerainty, but had retained it's independence in exchange for a tribute paid to Arian overlords. The Sakya tribe had aristocrats and commoners, and according to legend, Siddhartha was a prince.

According to legend, in his youth, Siddhartha had been sheltered from the ugliness and poverty all around him. But when he was twenty nine - around 534 B.C. - he decided to become a wanderer. Apparently Siddhartha withdrew from a world, that he saw as inhospitable to conquered royalty such as he. Though he was disturbed by the Arian's, he was also fascinated by the Arian people who had destroyed his state and its traditions. The legend created by his followers, describes Siddhartha as having become a wanderer, in order to learn about human existence. He became an ascetic and abused his body by hardly eating. After accepting failure, in his quest to gain understanding of human existence, Siddhartha began eating better, and he began devising what he believed were better solutions to human misery.

-

From Wiki:
Shakya was an ancient tribe of the Indian Subcontinent in the 1st millennium BCE. (He was born around 560 B.C. that would be 5/6 century B.C.). In Buddhist texts the Shakyas, the inhabitants of Shakya janapada, are mentioned as a Kshatriya clan of Gotama gotra.

The most famous Shakya was Gautama Buddha, a member of the ruling Gautama clan of Lumbini, who is also known as Shakyamuni Buddha, "sage of the Shakyas", due to his association with this ancient (Kirat) kingdom.

The Hindu Puranas mention Shakya as a king of Ikshvaku dynasty, son of Sanjaya and father of Shuddhodana.

Indologist Michael Witzel has suggested that the similarity of the name Śākya and Śaka (the Indian and Persian name for the Scythians) is no coincidence. He thinks the Śākyas were "an early incursion of the Scythians" into India.

I offered the Wiki nonsense, just as an example of how Albinos worm their way into Black history with their lies and nonsense. And just how those ignorant of history will be taken in.

Aren't you speaking of yourself & your white people hating black racist black supremacist ilk Mikey boy? You and your white people hating black racist black supremacist ilk are doing the very thing you accuse Whites of doing. Cut the racist epithets Mikey boy they are not allowed.
Posts: 3257 | From: Madisonville, KY USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com