EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Afro combs and Kemet-The Fitzwilliam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afro combs and Kemet-The Fitzwilliam
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting project at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/news/latest/article.html?3450

'Fitzwilliam looking for participants in 2013 exhibition
Members of the public are being invited to take part in a major community project leading to a new 2013 exhibition looking at the 5000 year history of the iconic Afro Comb.

To contribute to the exhibition the Museum will be running events in Cambridge and London to record people talking about their own stories, photographs and personal histories. The film and audio footage will become part of a new archive so future generations can see what people today have to say about hair and what kind of combs are used.

The final exhibition will trace the remarkable history of the African comb from the Pre-dynastic period of Egypt to the Twentieth century in the UK and US, including the personal testimonies collected.

The first event launching the project is being held at the Fitzwilliam Museum on Saturday 16 June 2012, displaying beautifully ornamented African combs from 6000 to 100 years old carved from wood or woven with delicate patterns.

For more details of this event and to take part please contact 01223 332904 or email fitzmuseum-education@lists.cam.ac.uk. Admission to the event is free.

This is a shared project between the Fitzwilliam Museum and the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology in Cambridge, and The Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology in London. It is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The Afro Comb:

Hair and grooming have always played an important role in the culture of Africa and the African Diaspora. The traditional African comb has played a crucial role in the creation, maintenance, and decoration of hair-styles for both men and women.

In many African societies, ancient and modern, the hair comb symbolises status, group affiliation, and religious beliefs, and is encoded with ritual properties. The handles of combs are decorated with objects of status, such as the headrest, human figures, and motifs that reference nature and the traditional spiritual world.

In the twentieth century ‘afro’ combs have taken on a wider political and cultural message, perhaps most notably in the form of the ‘black fist’ comb that references the Black power salute.

By looking at archaeological records of burials, and through recording oral histories in modern societies it is hoped the exhibition will provide a much better understanding of the status of this iconic object and the spiritual and societal status it can hold.'

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6k to 100 years? Thats one big margin of error for the date?
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They weren't dating the combs; they're just saying that the combs in their collection range from predynastic in date, to modern in date

As for the combs, the general shapes sure resemble afro combs, but I'm still not convinced they were (all) Afro combs

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian combs seem to have a variety of shapes as far as I can tell from a cursory Google search. Some combs do indeed resemble Afro combs but others have finer teeth. The first comb is an example of a more Afro-type comb whereas the second has finer teeth if you look carefully at the bottom.

-

-

More fine-toothed Egyptian combs

Could you run a fine-toothed comb through stereotypical Afro-type hair?

Posts: 7072 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you run a fine-toothed comb through stereotypical Afro-type hair?

Can't remember which of the following I've heard this could signify -
-a change in the gene pool
-used to extract lice
-purely symobolic

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Comb, Amarna, Dynasty 18, reign of Akhenaten (1353-1336 BCE), Wood

Egyptians carved double-sided combs much like modern examples with thick teeth on one side and fine teeth along the other. Ancient hairstyles, especially those of women, were often quite elaborate. Combs like this would have been used for both natural hair and for wigs which were worn by both men and women. Photo: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.

Posts: 42924 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Oh deranged one, we wondered as to your health.
Clearly that is fine, so were you in Jail?
Or is it as I suspected; the Charles V material required that you have extensive psycho therapy.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
^One imagines the Armana comb would correspond with a change in the gene pool.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say that a fine tooth comb can still be used on African hair not only if the hair is wavy but if it is greased up with butter.
Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
6k to 100 years? Thats one big margin of error for the date?

That's not an estimate, but a RANGE, dunce.
As in: combs dating from 6000 to 100 years old.
Get it?

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I will say that a fine tooth comb can still be used on African hair not only if the hair is wavy but if it is greased up with butter.

When you have short hair, its no problem. Short kinky hair cannot really tangle much, because its short.

But trust me, you use one of those fine needled combs when you have uncombed long kinky hair, greasy or not, you'll mess up your hair.

I've got dreadlocks now, but I remember in the days when I would braid my hair when it was lengthy, I would only use the side of my combs with wide needles, and even then I would disentangle my hair by combing small sections of hair. I'd also comb my hair tips first, and then I'd move up to the roots, to remove the knots.

Starting from the roots, and then pulling the comb to your tips with long kinky entangled hair, on the long term, you'll either end up breaking the needles of your comb, or you'll damage your hair.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
 -

Egyptians carved double-sided combs much like modern examples with thick teeth on one side and fine teeth along the other. Ancient hairstyles, especially those of women, were often quite elaborate. Combs like this would have been used for both natural hair and for wigs which were worn by both men and women. Photo: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.

In your case Lionese, it could be used for back and leg hair.
Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Narmerthoth:
quote:
 -

hahahah
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL What do you expect for a Neanderwoman? [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:

When you have short hair, its no problem. Short kinky hair cannot really tangle much, because its short.

But trust me, you use one of those fine needled combs when you have uncombed long kinky hair, greasy or not, you'll mess up your hair.

I've got dreadlocks now, but I remember in the days when I would braid my hair when it was lengthy, I would only use the side of my combs with wide needles, and even then I would disentangle my hair by combing small sections of hair. I'd also comb my hair tips first, and then I'd move up to the roots, to remove the knots.

Starting from the roots, and then pulling the comb to your tips with long kinky entangled hair, on the long term, you'll either end up breaking the needles of your comb, or you'll damage your hair.

Point taken.
Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

hahahah
It's funny how a person who claims to be an African American woman, knowns so little about Afro texture hair. And yet again.lol

I have explained it so many times. It's just incredible.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ LOL What do you expect from the Lyinass. I'm just waiting for 'White Nubian' to jump in and explain. After all, such combs were found in Nubia as well. [Big Grin]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol:
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

hahahah
It's funny how a person who claims to be an African American woman, knowns so little about Afro texture hair. And yet again.lol

http://www.penn.museum/sites/amarna/gallery.shtml

Since I posted a picture and a caption from University of Pennsylvania with no remarks of my own you must think something is wrong about what they wrote.

Like the map of the Almoravid you posted, you were pretending to know what the arrows meant but were really trying to trick dana into explaining them to you. stop the bluffing tactics.

The right hand part of the comb is for kinky haired negroes the left hand side is for straight haired negroes

Posts: 42924 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Whatever you say neandertwit.

The point is Egyptians used the same type of combs as other Africans.

By the way, here is a video of wigs worn by the Amun priesthood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRlQEmumk5s

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

The point is Egyptians used the same type of combs as other Africans.

[/QB]

There are two types of combs, the comb that is used to comb the hair and the ornamental comb which is stuck in the hair for decoration.

This 18th dynasty comb is a functional comb for combing the hair

-

-
modern afro pick for combing hair

below is a Victorian ornamental comb:
 -

^^^the prongs are stuck in the hair while the top portion projects out as decoration.
 -

-

^^^ornamental comb

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol:
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

hahahah

http://www.penn.museum/sites/amarna/gallery.shtml

Since I posted a picture and a caption from University of Pennsylvania with no remarks of my own you must think something is wrong about what they wrote.

Like the map of the Almoravid you posted, you were pretending to know what the arrows meant but were really trying to trick dana into explaining them to you. stop the bluffing tactics.

The right hand part of the comb is for kinky haired negroes the left hand side is for straight haired negroes

I know that source. And you don't know diversity in "black hair"/ African! You think everybody needs to have peppercorn hair! lol

That's the problem you have, annoying little bug.

Always trying to show abstracts!

-

-

-

This one is tricky, Lyingass. Swenet, don't say anything.

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Troll Patty, why are you complining did I not aleady state:

you even quoted this yet still you cry

you are in such an emotional state even when what I wrote is the same thing you say you act like it's not and cry

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Troll Patty, why are you complining did I not aleady state:

you even quoted this yet still you cry

looooooool

Fake fake fake fake fake lying ass. That is what you are! Got it! You are not an African American woman, but a lying creature.

-

In fact you lie so much, you basically have the nature of a Devil! So once again the patty has decapitated your head.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 - _______________________________  -

Swenet don't say anything

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 - _______________________________  -

Swenet don't say anything

Yes, because I want this imposter to anwer this.

And up till now it hasn't been able to do so. All it did was looking for distraction.

Catch my drift.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
answer what? I see no question mentioned
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Thas riiiiightttt.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com