EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Maps of Civilizations, Kingdoms, Peoples, States, and Cities in Africa through time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maps of Civilizations, Kingdoms, Peoples, States, and Cities in Africa through time
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are all (unless I, or other people, add others) from the book Civilizations of Africa - A History To 1800 By Christopher Ehret

The maps are big, they are meant to be kept as archive and consulted on-a-need basis for those interested in African history. While I post them, it doesn't mean I agree with everything on them (like names or dates for example). I used imageshack which allowed me to keep the images in their original sizes.

Map 16 Peoples, states, and cities in Africa, ca. 100 CE:
 -

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Map 17 Peoples, states, and cities in the southern half of Africa, ca. 1200-1250 - to be posted later

Map 18 Peoples, states, and cities in the southern half of Africa, ca. 1400:

-

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 19 Peoples, states, and cities in the northern half of Africa, ca. 850-875:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 20 Peoples, states, and cities in the northern half of Africa, ca. 1340s:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 21 Peoples, states, and cities in the northern half of Africa, ca. 1550:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 22 Peoples, states, and cities in the southern half of Africa, ca. 1550:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 23 Peoples, states, and cities in the northern half of Africa, ca. 1750-1770:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 24 Peoples, states, and cities in the southern half of Africa, ca. 1725-1775:

-

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Map 17 Peoples, states, and cities in the southern half of Africa, ca. 1200-1250:

-

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful post of African Historical Atlas Amunra The Ultimate.I can see you are a lover of African History.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Ultimate Amunra.

Let me say my one tid bit gripe is that they did not show Ancient Ghana. I know AG was not in the vicinity of modern Ghana and would show Europeans that people actually move around.

I like the blurbs of info that showcased how womens role in society diminished with more contact with Europeans.

Black woman were Truly Queens, until the coming of euro superiority where it fell against women who fought for the rights of all the people male and female.

Queen Nzinga of Angola comes to mind a woman who held off colonization until she died...Truly a person blessed by the Eternal

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KING:

Let me say my one tid bit gripe is that they did not show Ancient Ghana.

Ghana is a name often used by (past) historians to identify the empire but the name of the empire was actually Wagadu. Ghana is actually the royal title given to the ruler of the Wagadu empire
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:

Let me say my one tid bit gripe is that they did not show Ancient Ghana.

Ghana is a name often used by (past) historians to identify the empire but the name of the empire was actually Wagadu. Ghana is actually the royal title given to the ruler of the Wagadu empire
I hope others take note on how to debate the brothers. No insults, attacks or mocking...just straight correction and clarifying WITHOUT THE INSULTS. We all could learn how to treat each other on this forum like that.

Tired of wading through half a page of insults to find the nugget of truth hidden in the posts. Thanks Ultimate

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hope others take note on how to debate the brothers. No insults, attacks or mocking...just straight correction and clarifying WITHOUT THE INSULTS. We all could learn how to treat each other on this forum like that.

Tired of wading through half a page of insults to find the nugget of truth hidden in the posts. Thanks Ultimate

Shut the fuch up KING, you are a total Ass-hole.

There was no disagreement here, and there was no correction.

For my own part: In those cases when there is REAL disagreement, and the opposition makes no attempt to examine the facts, but instead merely repeats nonsense - that is very disrespectful. In which case no respect is warranted and none is given.

Very similar to this situation:

Your post was a fawning one with a simple QUESTION.
The question was answered, and from that you went on to editorialize about what great debaters you and he are.

Like I said, you are an Ass.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Let me say my one tid bit gripe is that they did not show Ancient Ghana. I know AG was not in the vicinity of modern Ghana and would show Europeans that people actually move around.

See Map 19

WAGADU is Ghana.

Wagadu is the native Soninke/Malinke name.
Ghana supposedly derives from an Arabic
take on a Malinke name for a war-king(?).

Modern Ghana is basically a Twi nation.
Malinke's did not move south to Ghana.

I think it was Nkrumah who adopted the
name Ghana for Britain's former Gold
Coast colony. However, one historian JC
deGraft Johnson did postulate some folk
moved south into the region in protest
of expanding Islam or pastoralist
or something. If you really want to
know I'll look it up for you, friend.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
quote:

Shut the fuch up KING, you are a total Ass-hole.

There was no disagreement here, and there was no correction.

For my own part: In those cases when there is REAL disagreement, and the opposition makes no attempt to examine the facts, but instead merely repeats nonsense - that is very disrespectful. In which case no respect is warranted and none is given.

Very similar to this situation:

Your post was a fawning one with a simple QUESTION.
The question was answered, and from that you went on to editorialize about what great debaters you and he are.

Like I said, you are an Ass.

Mike close your big stupid mouth.

I posted what I posted because of the retarded insults that take up majority of posts in this forum and its anti intellectual posture.

Why does every debate in these forums have to descend into an throw an insult at said person for half the post THEN post your point. Like your posts when people don't agree with your ideas.

How you gonna convince ANYONE your right when half the time your trying to degrade them and put them down?

The better way of doing it is ignore the mouth flapping and just counter with hard evidence that can't be refuted. Evergreen comes to mind when I think of a poster that rarely went to mocking the character of an poster to win an stupid debate.

You learn by the exchange of ideas...not by trashing the next man or woman.

I can't be the only person that sees this tit for tat routine that happens with the slightest bit of an remark by another poster...Its dumb and proves nothing.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
quote:

See Map 19

WAGADU is Ghana.

Wagadu is the native Soninke/Malinke name.
Ghana supposedly derives from an Arabic
take on a Malinke name for a war-king(?).

Modern Ghana is basically a Twi nation.
Malinke's did not move south to Ghana.

I think it was Nkrumah who adopted the
name Ghana for Britain's former Gold
Coast colony. However, one historian JC
deGraft Johnson did postulate some folk
moved south into the region in protest
of expanding Islam or pastoralist
or something. If you really want to
know I'll look it up for you, friend.

Thanks Tukuler bin learning a little about the West African Kingdoms like Songhai and Ghana also Kanem Bornu. Always wondered how deep in the Fezzan did Kanem penetrate and how they kept the people together unified because it always hard to govern a kingdom as big and long as Kanem Bornu and really what ethnicities did it have in that kingdom. I also know that Songhay was the LARGEST COUNTRY IN AFRICA bigger then Egypt, Kush, Merowe etc but don't remember how islam influenced them and how Sonni Ali was able to conquer all of Ancient Mali a powerful kingdom in it's own right. Timbuktu the heart of Songhay was an place of gold and learning..so much so that people from The Middle east went there to learn islam better and marvel at the greatness that is west African intelectuals.

Soninke were the main power of Wagadu but really what else made that kingdom tick and run how did they incorporate all the different people and was it a peaceful place and did it fall because of outside influences, and did the berbers become a part of the Mande kingdom and assimilate or did they stay just nomadic traders what I have read is the desert really ruined Wagadu and forced the people to rebel against the country. Kumbi seemed like a place of learning also but what made Wagdu great?

Sorry if there is too much questions Tukuleur but the rapidly rising knowledge of these Ancient Countries is what intrigues me a lot.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questions whew
Try a 500/600 level course
West Africa: kingdoms and peoples (600-1600)

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Questions whew
Try a 500/600 level course
West Africa: kingdoms and peoples (600-1600)

Wanted to speak to Tukuler if he found any Stories about these percuiler regions I asked about because what I have found is just the basics and does not go into detail about Kanem Bornu etc.

The info about Wagadu, and Mali has been very hard to find and All I came across is simple references like this:

quote:
Between 600 and 1450 CE, two major empires emerged in West Africa, just south of the Sahara Desert:
•Ghana - By the 700s, a farming people called the Soninke had formed an empire that they called Ghana ("war chief") that was growing rich from taxing the goods that traders carried through their territory. Their most important asset was gold from the Niger River area that they traded for salt from the Sahara. The Arab and Berber traders also carried cloth, weapons, and manufactured goods from ports on the Mediterranean. Ghana's king had exclusive rights to the gold, and so controlled its supply to keep the price high. The king also commanded an impressive army, and so the empire thrived. Like the Africans along the Mediterranean, Ghana's rulers and elites converted to Islam, but most others retained their native religions.
•Mali - During the 11th century, the Almoravids, a Muslim group from northern Africa, conquered Ghana. By the 13th century, a new empire, called Mali, dominated West Africa. The empire began with Mande-speaking people south of Ghana, but it grew to be larger, more powerful, and richer than Ghana had been. Mali too based its wealth on gold. New deposits were found east of the Niger River, and African gold became a basic commodity in long distance trade. Mali's first great leader was Sundiata, whose life inspired an epic poem -The Legend of Sundiata - that was passed down from one generation to the next. He defeated kingdoms around Mali, and also proved to be an affective administrator. Perhaps even more famous was Mansu Musa, a 14th century ruler. He is best known for giving away so much gold as he traveled from Mali to Mecca for the hajj that he set off a major round of inflation, seriously affecting economies all along the long-distance trade routes. Mali's capital city, Timbuktu, became a world center of trade, education and sophistication.
•The Swahili city-states - The people who lived in trade cities along the eastern coast of Africa provided a very important link for long-distance trade. The cities were not united politically, but they were well developed, with a great deal of cultural diversity and sophisticated architecture. The people were known collectively as the Swahili, based on the language that they spoke - a combination of Bantu and Arabic. Most were Muslims, and the sailors were renown for their ability to maneuver their small boats through the Indian Ocean to India and other areas of the Middle East via the Red Sea and back again

I know I asked a lot of questions, but it was serious questions and I hope you can provide material that will help me and those reading the forum, as I believe some people would be interested in learning more about these kingdoms in detail.

Bless

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com