EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Is Saint Maurice at Magdeburg really Sir Morien ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Saint Maurice at Magdeburg really Sir Morien ??
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

There are two statues at Magdeburg Cathedral that are supposed to be Saint Maurice

-

http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/post/55426449653/sir-morien-black-knight-of-the-round-table-the

However

People of Color in European History website claims one of these staues as...

1. Statue of a Knight believed to be representative of Morien (Moriaen),
unknown artist, later brought to Magdenburg Dom and called Saint Maurice c. 1220

-

-
Morien (also spelled Moriaan, Moriaen) is a 13th-century Arthurian romance story in Middle Dutch. A 4,720-line version is preserved in the vast Lancelot-Compilatie, and a short fragment exists at the Royal Library at Brussels.The work tells the story of Morien, the Moorish son of Aglovale, one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table.

I'm not sure if anyone but the author of the People of Color website thinks that one of the Magdeburg St. Maurice statues is actually Morien but it seems unlikely to me that a statue of Morien would be placed in a church
and, I could be wrong, but that statues of Morien were even made

Nevertheless Saint Maurice died in the 3rd century and
Morien is fictional

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be, however, they all look realistic.

I wonder more about how the artists got it so right.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com