EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Solving the mystery of Meroitic language

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Solving the mystery of Meroitic language
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

MEROE, OROMO AND OLD NUBIAN: SOLVING THE MYSTERY OF MEROITIC LANGUAGE

Dereje Tadesse Birbirso (PhD)
College of Social Science and Humanities
Haramaya University, Ethiopia

Abstract

Meroitic language is one of the most controversial ancient languages but one of the few having advanced writing systems. Some classify it Asian, European, non-African, Semitic, or ‘unclassified’. This paper contends Meroe, similar to their Cushitic friends, are left victims of preconceived ideas based on an entirely argument from silence, an hegemonic epistemology that elevates a single perspective and silences other(s). This paper, thus, comparatively analyzes Meroitic and Old Nubian lexical and grammatical items with corresponding Oromo, a Cushitic family which, many classical and contemporary philologists/linguists argue derives from a unique vocabulary possibly the Ancient language of the Nile Valley and/or Horn of Africa. Meroitic and Old Nubian lexical, grammatical and epigraphic data were collected from secondary sources by Meroitic researchers. Oromo corpora are obtained both from classical and modern descriptions and native-speakers. Results indicate Oromo lexemes show significant level of cognates with not only Meroitic and Old Nubian, but also with the Ancient Egyptian to their northern part.

https://www.academia.edu/5847718/Meroe_Oromo_and_Old_Nubian_Solving_the_mystery_of_Meroitic_language

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the current Ethiopian regime, not to mention the former ultra-Semitist or Abyssinianist ones, teaches Ethiopian school children that “the first writing system was invented in Sumer, in modern Iraq in around 4000BC”, then in “China, India and Arab” worlds (FDRE 2011: 42), while, in contrast, scholars confirmed long ago that the Laga Oda scriptures of Oromia (Eastern Ethiopia), that cuts parallel with Meroitic and Egyptian pictographs in signs, styles and themes, for instance, dates back to “predynastic and protodynastic Egypt” (Cervicek 1971: 132). Even they are not ready to mention the fact that the “earliest to write about language and the brain… the first to write about anything at all” were Ancient “Egyptian” (Altmann 2006: 802).
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION

Firstly and briefly phonological systems of Meroitic, Old Nubian and Oromo are analyzed. The interest is not comparative phonetic analysis but to only see the key patterns from evolutionary phonology perspective. Next comparative analysis of some grammatical particles of the three languages is carried out. Next analysis of Meroitic and Oromo lexical items—form and meaning—is analyzed. Following that, a comparative analysis of Old Nubian and Oromo lexical items is presented before some archaeological semiotic/linguistic analysis. This section is a bit longer. Finally, conclusions and implications of the findings are presented.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Find.

JOY, A Ethiopian Scholar taking the Helm inside Showing Reality.

Africans, Don't let other People Dictate at Tell You Your Story.. Take the Mantle...Tell Others Your Views From Your Point Of View.

Ausar aka Tukuler...Bless [Cool]

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting article. But it fails to support his proposition that Meroitic is related to Oromo. In regards to the establsihed Meroite words he only showed a relationship between Oromo -Meroitic qo---> ko and qore-->qoro. The ko, relationship fails to indicate cognition because 'Ko', is a Pan-African term for 'master, lord, God'. This means that he only present one (1) cognate term for Meroitic and Oromo.

For these reasons I must reject his thesis.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

There is increasing evidence that the Beja may provide a key to fully understanding the Meroitic language. Some years ago I deciphered the Kharamadoye inscription.

http://olmec98.net/KALABSHA.htm

Today Beja repeat this message from their ancestors with pride as an indication to the long history of the Beja people. At Buzzle.com
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/freedom-for-dirar-ahmed-dirar-independence-for-sudans-beja-blemmyes.html

They note:
quote:

…… Hrmdoye ne qor ene ariteñ lne mdes ne mni-t kene
mk lebne ye re qe-ne q yi-t hl-ne y es bo he-ne q r lebne tro.
S-ne ariteñ net er ek li s-ne d-b li lh ne q r kene qor ene mnpte.

This was heard already before 1670 years at a moment the Blemmyan King Kharamadoye drove his compatriots to a point of national statehood at the northern area of the then ailing Meroitic kingdom in what is today's Sudanese North and Egyptian South. Using Meroitic scripture, the scribes of Kharamadoye immortalized down to our times an inscription on walls of the Mandulis temple at Talmis (modern Kalabsha). The beginning of the inscription reads in a plausible English translation as follows:

Kharamadoye the monarch and chief of the living Ariteñ, the great son and patron of Amani, you (who) revitalizes (man). The lord's voyage of discovery indeed gives the creation of Good. Act (now Amani) he travels to support good. Make a good welfare swell (for) the offering of the Chief, (he) desires indeed the restoration of eminence. The patron of good Ariteñ bows in reverence (before Amani) to evoke exalted nourishment (for) the patrons to leave a grand and exalted legacy to behold good. Oh Amani make indeed (a) revitalization (of) the monarch (and) commander of Great Napata…..”

When I first saw this claim that the Beja, represented the Blemmyan people of the Meroitic and Egyptian inscriptions I thought it might be hollow indeed. But after comparing Meroitic to Beja, the claim has considerable merit.

To test the hypothesis that the Beja language was related to meroitic, I compared Meroitic and Beja. The Beja material comes from Klaus and Charlotte Wedekind and Abuzeinab Musa, Beja Pedagogical Grammar (http://www.afrikanistik-online.de/archiv/2008/1283/beja_pedagogical_grammar_final_links_numbered.pdf ) ,

What I found from this cursory examination was most interesting. I will need to gather more vocabulary items from Beja, but I did find a number of matches:

Meroitic ……English……….. Beja
i ‘arrive at this point’ ………… bi ‘went’
t ‘he, she’ ……………………..ta ‘she’
ya ‘go’………………………….yak ‘start’
rit ‘look’……………………….rhitaa ‘you saw’
an(a) plural suffix……………..aan ‘these’
d(d) ‘say’………………………di(y) ‘say’
lb ‘energy, dynamic…………liwa ‘burn’
ken ‘to realize’……………….kana ‘to know’
bk ‘ripen’……………………..bishakwa ‘to be ripe’

The vocabulary items are interesting, but since they come from a grammar book there was not enough to provide an extensive comparison.

Meroitic and Beja share many grammatical features. For example, the pronouns are usually can be placed in front or at the end verbs e.g., Beja ti bi ‘she went’, Meroitic t-i ‘he goes’. In Beja, adi is used to indicate complete action Taman adi ‘I ate it completely’, Meroitic –a, serves the same purpose akin ne a ‘he has become completely learned’. In both languages the adverb is placed behind the noun Beja takii-da ‘small man’, Meroitic pt ‘praise’: pt es ‘manifest praise’. In Beja the future tense is form by ndi, Tami a ndi “I will eat’, Meroitic –n, s-ne yo-n Aman ‘The patron will bow in reverence to Aman’.

This makes it clear to me that the Beja language may be related to Meroitic and that the Beja represent the Blemmy nation of Old.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Meroitic Writing and Literature

-

Meroitic Writing and Literature is divided into three parts. The first part of the book explains how I used the Kushana hypothesis to decipher the Meroitic script. It will outline the Classical literature that informed my decipherment of Meroitic and how Buddhists early settled in Upper Egypt and the Meroitic Empire and spread their religion and writing system: Tocharian.

In Part two we outline the grammar of Meroitic. It will provide readers with a detailed overview of the Meroitic language and its grammar.

Part Three provides translations of key Meroitic text. These texts provide knowledge of the lifeway’s of the Meroites especially their religion and some historical data.

The Meroitic literature discussed in this book include : The Inscriptions of Tanyidamani; The Meroitic Chamber Inscription of Philae; and Meroitic Evidence for a Blemmy Empire in the Dodekaschoinas. These text were chosen because they include text written in archaic Meroitic (Tanyidemani), and other text written in late Meroitic.

Meroitic Writing and Literature, is the first account of the Meroitic language and literature. It will allow readers the opportunity to learn how to read/decipher Meroitic text, while acquiring an intimate knowledge of the Meroites as individuals.

Createspace e-Store: https://www.createspace.com/4241733

Kindle Bookstore: http://www.amazon.com/Meroitic-Writing-and-Literature-ebook/dp/B00CBVFY48

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

MEROE, OROMO AND OLD NUBIAN: SOLVING THE MYSTERY OF MEROITIC LANGUAGE

Dereje Tadesse Birbirso (PhD)
College of Social Science and Humanities
Haramaya University, Ethiopia

Abstract

Meroitic language is one of the most controversial ancient languages but one of the few having advanced writing systems. Some classify it Asian, European, non-African, Semitic, or ‘unclassified’. This paper contends Meroe, similar to their Cushitic friends, are left victims of preconceived ideas based on an entirely argument from silence, an hegemonic epistemology that elevates a single perspective and silences other(s). This paper, thus, comparatively analyzes Meroitic and Old Nubian lexical and grammatical items with corresponding Oromo, a Cushitic family which, many classical and contemporary philologists/linguists argue derives from a unique vocabulary possibly the Ancient language of the Nile Valley and/or Horn of Africa. Meroitic and Old Nubian lexical, grammatical and epigraphic data were collected from secondary sources by Meroitic researchers. Oromo corpora are obtained both from classical and modern descriptions and native-speakers. Results indicate Oromo lexemes show significant level of cognates with not only Meroitic and Old Nubian, but also with the Ancient Egyptian to their northern part.

https://www.academia.edu/5847718/Meroe_Oromo_and_Old_Nubian_Solving_the_mystery_of_Meroitic_language

I had this source already, but lost it. Thanks for posting this.
Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Child Of The KING:
Great Find.

JOY, A Ethiopian Scholar taking the Helm inside Showing Reality.

Africans, Don't let other People Dictate at Tell You Your Story.. Take the Mantle...Tell Others Your Views From Your Point Of View.

Ausar aka Tukuler...Bless [Cool]

I am NOT
and have NOT
ever claimed
to be Ausar,
the person.

AUSAR is simply
an account once
used by me in a
failed attempt
to moderate ES.*

* ["You purge your movement of cranks to preserve credibility and risk alienating a chunk of supporters.
Or you let everyone in your movement fly their freak flag and live with the consequences."]

All msgs from
the Ausar acct
plainly say the
author is
TUKULER AL~TAKRURI. see it right here below

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com