EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Magicians use neutral spirits power or demons power

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magicians use neutral spirits power or demons power
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demon Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3YLneFhr60&index=2&list=PLDECA889975B1C648

Demon magic 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYqmFYLs6E&index=7&list=PLDECA889975B1C648

Demon Magic on America got talent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBumZyRX9n8

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mena: I dont think the magicians are using demons. I think they are using spirits or force of nature and human nature. They are also manipulating matter.

Demon Magicians 4 turn water into wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5VV_FaEIFo&list=PLDECA889975B1C648&index=4

Demon Magicians 6 Derren Brown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXExg6Xj3aA&list=PLDECA889975B1C648&index=6

Demon Magicians 8 the levitating ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWmhHBsR6g&list=PLDECA889975B1C648&index=8

Yif parting coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv92MhVUUDw&list=PLDECA889975B1C648&index=13

Magicians Cyril and Ahmed El Sayed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2UuIs8rdHc&index=15&list=PLDECA889975B1C648

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Magicians Prove a Spiritual World Exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZvYglefsU

--------------------
mena

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/religion/magic.htm

Heka: The magic of ancient Egypt

.....to me belonged the universe before you gods had come into being. You have come afterwards because I am Heka.
Coffin texts, spell 261 [2] First Intermediate Period to Middle Kingdom
All religions have a magical aspect [1], ancient religions like the Egyptian, according to which all of creation was animated to some extent, perhaps more so than many others. Through magic the creation had come into being and was sustained by it. Thus, magic was more ancient, and consequently more powerful, than the gods themselves
I am one with Atum when he still floated alone in Nun, the waters of chaos, before any of his strength had gone into creating the cosmos. I am Atum at his most inexhaustible - the potence and potential of all that is to be. This is my magic protection and it's older and greater than all the gods together!
Book of the Dead, New Kingdom
It was also the extraordinary means for acquiring knowledge about one's surroundings - above all the hidden parts of them - and gaining control over them. Gods, demons and the dead could be implored, cajoled or threatened. Their help could be enlisted to avert evil or achieve one's desires.
Magic was accepted by all ancient peoples as a real force. The Hebrew tradition which was strongly opposed to it, did not deny its efficacy, but rather extolled the even greater magical power of its own god:
8 And the Lord spake unto Moses and unto Aaron saying,
9 When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent.
10 And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the Lord had commanded: And Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
11 The Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents; but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.
Exodus 7 [29] about 6th or 5th century BCE
Isis suckling Horus, 26th dynasty Egyptian magical thinking continued to influence Europe. Thoth, god of wisdom and learning, was identified with the Greek Hermes Trismegistus. He was thought by the Hermetists to have originated the Hermetica, 42 books of magic [12].
Isis lactans
26th dynasty

The worship of Isis, of whom the Metternich Stela (4th century BCE) says "I am Isis the goddess, the possessor of magic, who performs magic, effective of speech, excellent of words," became widespread throughout the Roman empire. She was the original mother of god, Isis lactans feeding her son Horus, which Christianity adopted as the Madonna. Her role as protectress is reflected in the Marian cult.
Acquiring magical powers

Magical spell in Coptic, Graeco-Roman Period; Source: Duke Papyrus Archive While its efficiency in the hands of mortal practitioners was perhaps often less than had been hoped for, magic attracted people because it was practical and made sense. Everything had a reason, often hidden to the ordinary person, but revealed to the knowledgeable.

Magical spell written in Coptic
Picture source: Duke Papyrus Archive

Magic explained the relationships between causes and effects using ideas people could relate to. Analogies and symbolisms were widely used, the sympathetic principle of like affecting like was invoked, associations, be they pure coincidence, were imbued with meaning, and historic occurrences became predictors for the future. There were even prescribed ways for explaining why expected results had not materialized.

It appears that, originally, the Egyptians, like some other peoples who practiced ritual cannibalism, thought that spiritual powers resided in the body and could be acquired by ingestion. There is no evidence, though, that such a view was more than speculative and ever acted upon.
The king orders sacrifices, he alone controls them,
the king eats humans, feeds on gods,
he has them presented on an altar to himself,
he has agents to do his will. He fires off the orders!
The king eats their magic, he gulps down their souls,
the adults he has for breakfast,
the young are lunch,
the babies he has for supper,
the old ones are too tough to eat, he just burns them on the altar as an offering to himself.
Pyramid Texts 273-4, Old Kingdom
translated by Jacob Rabinowitz [5]
Magic was tightly bound up with writing, although there must have been an extensive purely oral tradition which was never recorded and is therefore lost to us. Most practitioners gained magical knowledge by studying ancient scriptures [20]. Chief among them were the lector-priests, the only clerics who were fully professional since the beginning of recorded history. They were the keepers of the sacred books.
The practitioners of magic

Magical knowledge and power emanated from the gods and was bestowed upon their servants, the kings ...
Utterance of all the gods, [to] Amon-Re: "This thy daughter [Hatshepsut], who liveth, we are satisfied with her in life and peace. She is now thy daughter of thy form, whom thou hast begotten, prepared. Thou hast given to her thy soul, thy [...], thy [bounty], the magic powers of the diadem......
The coronation of Hatshepsut
18th dynasty
Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part 2, § 220
Come glorious one; I have placed (thee) before me; that thou mayest see thy administration in the palace, and the excellent deeds of thy ka's that thou mayest assume thy royal dignity, glorious in thy magic, mighty in thy strength.
Thutmose I, summoning his daughter to be crowned
18th dynasty
Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part 2, § 235
Ay dressed as High Priest; source: Casson _Ancient Egypt_ ... and their substitutes in the service of the gods, the priesthood. But there were also less exalted magicians who did not deal with life and death, but with more mundane issues like good luck charms, pest control or love potions.
Ay dressed as High Priest performing the Opening of the Mouth ceremony
Tomb KV 62, 18th dynasty
Picture source: Lionel Casson Ancient Egypt

Sometimes spells fell into the wrong hands. Anybody capable of reading could use them [17], and, at times, some did so with evil intentions.
Now, when Penhuibin, formerly overseer of herds, said to him: "Give to me a roll for enduing me with strength and might," he gave to him a magic roll of Usermare-Meriamon (Ramses III), L.P.H., the Great God, his lord, L.P.H., and he began to employ the magic powers of a god upon people.
Records of the Harem Conspiracy against Ramses III20th dynasty
To the ordinary mortal magic could be dangerous, and coming into physical contact with the divine deadly. The accidental touching of the royal sceptre even by a sem priest had to be counteracted by the king's spell, and the incident was serious enough to be recorded:
The king of Upper and Lower Egypt Neferikare appeared as King of Lower Egypt on the day of the seizing of the anterior rope of the God's barque. There was the sem priest Rewer before his majesty in his office of sem priest, responsible for the clothing. The ames sceptre which was in the hand of his majesty, touched the foot of the sem priest Rewer. His majesty said to him: "May you be well!" - thus spoke his majesty.
Behold, his majesty said: "It is desirable to my majesty that he may be well, without a blow for him." Behold, he is more esteemed by his majesty than any other man. His majesty ordered to have (it) put in writing on his tomb which is in the necropolis. His majesty caused a record to be made about it, written in the presence of the king himself in the district of the palace, in order to write down according to what had been said in his tomb which is in the necropolis.
From the tomb of Rewer (5th dynasty) [24]
Practical purposes

Magic had important pragmatic aspects, which were exploited to achieve the aims of humans, dead or alive, spirits, and gods:
Creation of the world by Ptah, the self-fertilization of Amen or Khnum's shaping of man from clay were all deeds unachievable by ordinary means.

He (Ptah) gave birth to the gods, He made the towns, He established the nomes, He placed the gods in their shrines, He settled their offerings, He established their shrines, He made their bodies according to their wishes.
From the Shabaka Stone, 25th dynasty
Birth brick The giving of birth was not just miraculous, but also dangerous, and the newly born was especially vulnerable.

Birth brick
Picture source: University of Pennsylvania Museum website [2]

Birth bricks [2] on which the woman in labour crouched, were decorated with depictions of Hathor and other goddesses and were believed to bestow protection on the mother and above all her baby, and charms were used to guard children from evil demons [18]. Boys appear to have been favoured by their parents and given better protection, e.g. only boy's names are mentioned on apotropaic wands carved of ivory and decorated with pictures of protective deities.[25]

The dead and their resting place needed protecting too and, as history has proven, ancient curses turned out to be most ineffective
The elder of the house of Meni, he says: A Crocodile against him in the water. A snake against him on land. He will do something against that same one. At no time did I do anything against him. It is God who will judge.
Inscription in the tomb of Meni, 6th Dynasty, at Giza
Amulets were worn by the living and given to the dead to empower and ward off evil [21]. Some mummies had dozens of scarabs packed into their bandages.
He (the sun god) created for them magic as a weapon,
to fend off the blows of the happenings.
The teachings of Merikare, Middle Kingdom
After Jan Assmann Ägypten - Theologie und Frömmigkeit einer frühen Hochkultur, p.72
As diseases were thought to be caused by spirits, healing was a magical science: the giving of medicines and the nursing care were accompanied by spells designed to expel these pathogenic agents.
Get thee back, thou enemy, thou dead man or woman ... Thou dost not enter into his phallus, so that it grows limp. Thou dost not cast seed into his anus (?) ...
Gardiner, Theban Ostraca, C 1, p.13-15
According to the Bentresh Stela, describing an apparently fictitious medical case in the strange far-off country of Bekhten, when the daughter of the chief fell ill, the statue of Khonsu-the-Plan-Maker, Great God, Smiter of evil Spirits was sent from Egypt:
Then this god went to the place where Bentresh was. Then he wrought the protection of the daughter of the chief of Bekhten. She became well immediately.
Then said the spirit which was in her before Khonsu-the-Plan-Maker-in-Thebes: "Thou comest in peace, thou great god, smiting the barbarians.........
I am thy servant. I will go to the place whence I came, to satisfy thy heart concerning that, on account of which thou comest .........."
Bentresh Stela
possibly 27th dynasty or later
James Henry Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part Three, § 443 f.
Physicians, priests and magicians - no clear demarcation line appears to have separated these, to our eyes very different, callings - seemingly worked according to quite strict guidelines as to how the body was to be examined, how the results were to be interpreted and which treatments were to be performed and which were not.
There are vessels in every limb of the body. When some physician, some sakhmet priest, some magician lays his finger on the head, on the back of the head, on the hands, on the place of the heart, on both arms and both legs, then he will feel the heart, as there are vessels in every limb of the body and it (i.e. the heart) 'speaks' at the beginning of the vessels of all body parts.
Ebers Papyrus, col. 99, Middle Kingdom
The more radical cures, like Isis restoring Osiris to life or Khufu's magician Djedi re-attaching cut-off heads belonged strictly to the realms of mythology or fancy.
The acquisition of knowledge concerning spiritual beings or the future enhanced a person's control over his destiny. One path to such knowledge was the interpretation of dreams, which was also used for justifying one's actions or legitimizing one's power:

In year 1, of his coronation as king ...... his majesty saw a dream by night: two serpents, one upon his right, the other upon his left. Then his majesty awoke, and he found them not. His majesty said: "Wherefore [has] this [come] to me?" Then they answered him, saying: "Thine is the Southland; take for thyself (also) the Northland. The two goddesses shine upon thy brow, the land is given to thee, in its length and its breadth. [No] other divides it with thee."
Stela of Tanutamen
25th dynasty
James Henry Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part Four § 922
Magical stela, reign of Nectanebo;Source: Metmuseum website The power attained through magic could serve many purposes, good or evil. It could be used to manipulate people's behaviour or feelings as the many love-spells prove [23]. According to the writings of Pseudo-Callisthenes Nectanebo II used magic to defend his country from outside enemies.

Magical stela, middle of 4th century BCE =>
Picture source: Metropolitan Museum [7]

Whenever he was threatened with invasion by sea or by land he succeeded in destroying the power of his enemies, and in driving them from his coasts or frontiers; and this he did by the following means. If the enemy came against him by sea, instead of sending out his sailors to fight them, he retired into a certain chamber, and having brought forth a bowl which he kept for the purpose, he filled it with water, and then, having made wax figures of the ships and men of the enemy, and also of his own men and ships, he set them upon the water in the bowl, his men on one side, and those of the enemy on the other.
He then came out, and having put on the cloak of an Egyptian prophet and taken an ebony rod in his hand, he returned into the chamber, and uttering words of power he invoked the gods who help men to work magic, and the winds, and the subterranean demons, which straightway came to his aid. By their means the figures of the men in wax sprang into life and began to fight, and the ships of wax began to move about likewise; but the figures which represented his own men vanquished those which represented the enemy, and as the figures of the ships and men of the hostile fleet sank through the water to the bottom of the bowl, even so did the real ships and men sink through the waters to the bottom of the sea.
In this way he succeeded in maintaining his power, and he continued to occupy his kingdom in peace for a considerable period.
E. A. Wallis Budge Egyptian Magic [4]
Through death a person lost his power over his body. In order for him to pass safely through the underworld his mummy's sensual functions had to be restored. This was done in the ceremony of the opening of the mouth. Statues were similarly empowered.

There was no tradition of magic that was evil in itself, what we would refer to as Black Magic, but magic could be abused and was in these instances treated as criminal behaviour, though possibly especially abhorrent. Both in the Rollin and the Lee Papyrus the deeds of magicians who had supported a conspiracy against Ramses III were called "great crimes of death", "the abominations of the land" or the like, probably because the victim had been the king himself.

The practice of magic

The [magician Horus-son-of] Paneshe returned [quickly]; he brought his books and his amulets to [where Pharaoh] was. He recited a spell to him and bound an amulet on him, to prevent the sorceries of the Nubians from gaining power over him. He [went] out from Pharaoh's presence, took his offerings and libations, went on board a boat, and hastened to Khmun. He went to the temple of Khmun, [made his] offerings and his libations before Thoth, the eight-times great, the lord of Khmun, the great god. He made a prayer before him saying: "Turn your face to me, my lord Thoth! Let not the Nubians take the shame of Egypt to the land of Nubia! It is you who [created] magic [spells]. It is you who suspended the sky, who founded the earth and the netherworld, who placed the gods with ....... Let me know how to save Pharaoh [from the sorceries of the] Nubians!"
From the story Prince Khamwas and Si-Osire [3]
Preparations

In order for magic spells to succeed elaborate preparations had to be made at times: It was generally wise not to choose an unlucky day, the time (dusk and dawn were especially auspicious) and place (often a dark chamber, a dark recess, a clean dark cell or a secret dark place) had to be appropriate, and, as is only proper for such spiritual endeavours, the ingredients, the medium and the magician had to be suitable, which generally meant that they had to be ritually pure: If it be that you do not apply (?) purity to it, it does not succeed; its chief matter is purity [9].
Thus in one divination spell a boy who has not been with a woman as medium was required, in another one could address the moon after being pure for three days.
Implements and ingredients too needed to be acceptable, either new or carefully cleansed:
You go to a dark chamber with its [face] open to the South or East in a clean place: you sprinkle it with clean sand brought from the great river; you take a clean bronze cup or a new vessel of pottery and put a lok-measure of water that has settled (?) or of pure water into the [cup] and a lok-measure of real oil pure ....
The Demotic Magical Papyrus of London and Leiden
Roman Period
One's own semen, a new brick or even milk of a black cow were relatively easy to come by, a two-tailed lizard on the other hand needed some searching, and Alexandrian weasels or hawks were becoming quite rare in the late first millennium BCE: in a temple which specialized in mummifying hawks there was a major scandal when it was discovered that the mummies contained anything but hawks.
Spells

The word, spoken or, perhaps even more potent, written down and read out aloud, was the means to influence other beings and bend them to one's will. Speech was often accompanied by actions, precisely prescribed rituals for which there were no obvious reasons and which were frequently repeated:
...... you take a vine-shoot before it has ripened grapes, you take it with your left hand, you put it into your right hand - when it has grown seven digits (in length) you carry it [into your] house, and you take the [fish] out of the oil, you tie it by its tail with a strip (?) of flax,you hang it up to . ..of(?) the vine-wood......
Execration rituals included piercing of a figurine with needles or knives, spitting, or burning. Some pharaohs asserted their dominance over their enemies by symbolically trampling on them: they had their foes' pictures painted on the soles of their sandals.

Talisman; Source: Louvre Museum
Talisman facilitating the process of childbirth
Ptolemaic Period
Source: © Georges Poncet / Musée du Louvre [16]

Many spells required the use of special foodstuffs [18], magical implements, figurines, talismans and the like. During the Middle Kingdom magic knives [15], sometimes also called apotropaic [14] wands, were made of carved hippo tusks and often decorated with animal depictions. One of them carried the words Cut off the head of the enemy when he enters the chamber of the children and the spells were hoped to afford protection from snakes, scorpions[28] and other dangers. Animal figurines were among the equipment of tombs. Very popular were hippo talismans. Hippos are fiercely protective of their young and dangerous to man, the dead were therefore frequently endowed with figurines which had a leg purposely broken off to prevent them from hurting the tomb owners.
Vessels, lamps, knives and other utensils were used. Blood (of smun-geese, hoopoes, nightjars, worms, puppies, humans etc), semen, oil and water were mixed with other animal or plant matter (shavings from the head of a dead man, hawk, ibis or crocodile eggs, gall of a gazelle, ankh-amu plant, [senepe plant], 'Great-of-Amen' plant, qes-ankh stone, genuine lapis-lazuli, 'footprint-of-Isis' plant). Myrrh and frankincense were burned as was the Anubis-plant. Turpentine and styrax (storax), a fragrant gum, were added to the incense [9].

Magic figurine; Source: Ancient Egypt Magazine, Issue Nine - November/December 2001 In execration rituals figurines were made of wax which could then easily be destroyed by force or by fire

Magic figurine
Ancient Egypt Magazine, Issue Nine - November/December 2001 [10]
This spell is to be recited over (an image of) Apophis drawn on a new sheet of papyrus in green ink, and (over a figure of) Apophis in red wax. See, his name is inscribed on it in green ink ... I have overthrown all the enemies of Pharaoh from all their seats in every place where they are. See, their names written on their breasts, having been made of wax, and also bound with bonds of black rope. Spit upon them! To be trampled with the left foot, to be fallen with the spear (and) knife; to be placed on the fire in the melting-furnace of the copper-smiths ... It is a burning in a fire of bryony. Its ashes are placed in a pot of urine, which is pressed firmly into a unique fire.
Nine Measures of Magic; Part 3: 'Overthrowing Apophis': Egyptian ritual in practice
Ancient Egypt Magazine Issue Nine - November/December 2001 [10]
Things were often chosen for their colour. Black, mentioned twenty times in the Demotic Magical Papyrus, and white, twelve instances, dominated: milk from a black cow, blood of a black dog, a new white lamp etc.
Great importance was attached to the names of the invoked gods or spirits, names which were hidden from the uninitiated. The very knowledge of their true names as opposed to those more widely known (Sarpot Mui-Sro is my name, Light-scarab-noble (?) is my true name) [9], gave one considerable power over them. These appellations had to be pronounced properly, in the right sequence and in their entirety:
'........ Io, Tabao, Soukhamamon, Akhakhanbou, Sanauani, Ethie, Komto, Kethos, Basaethori, Thmila, Akhkhou, give me answer as to everything about which I ask here to-day.' Seven times.
This invocation was to be repeated seven times. Often a simple two-fold repetition seemed to suffice, but three-, four- and even nine-fold reiterations were also frequent. In Ani's Book of the Dead, the deceased reaffirms his innocence four times:
I am pure. I am pure. I am pure. I am pure.
Budge The Book of the Dead, Chapter 125 [8]
These magical numbers were also important in other contexts. A certain love spell required nine apple-pips together with your urine, another a Kesh...-fish of nine digits and black. For a vessel divination three new bricks were needed; and one was supposed to pour an unsavory concoction of semen, blood and other ingredients into a cup of wine and add three uteh to it of the first-fruits of the vintage. Other numbers like five, six or eight were rarely used [9].
When the life of a patient was in danger because of a snake bite, a sekhmet priest might threaten to cause the solar barque to run aground on a sandbank, describing the dire consequences that would ensue to the very fabric of the world:

The sun barque is at rest and does not proceed,
The sun is still in the same spot as yesterday.
The nourishment is without ship, the temple is barred,
There the disease will turn back the disturbance
To yesterday's location.
The daemon of darkness is about, the times are not separated.
The shadow's shapes cannot be observed anymore.
The springs are blocked, the plants wither,
Life is taken from the living
Until Horus recovers for his mother Isis,
And until the patient's health is restored as well.
After Jan Assmann Ägypten - Theologie und Frömmigkeit einer frühen Hochkultur, p.85
The need of the deceased for magic was perhaps even greater than that of the living. After dying they were completely helpless until their faculties had been restored by the ritual of the Opening of the Mouth and they had been equipped with the knowledge needed to address gods and daemons by their hidden, true names and the spells necessary to ward off the dangers they would encounter.

Homage to thee, O great God, Lord of Maati! I have come unto thee, O my Lord, and I have brought myself hither that I may behold thy beauties. I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the Forty-two Gods who live with thee in this Hall of Maati, who live by keeping ward over sinners, and who feed upon their blood on the day when the consciences of men are reckoned up in the presence of the god Un-Nefer. In truth thy name is "Rehti-Merti-Nebti-Maati."
The Papyrus of Ani, translated by E.A.W. Budge
But not all was gloom in the Netherworld. The duties a person had to perform by himself in this world, could be attended to by a stand-in, an ushabti (also called shawabti at times) in the next, if you knew how to make him do it [19]:
Spell for causing a shawabti to work for its owner in the underworld. To be recited over the shawabti, which will be made either of tamarisk or thorn wood. This shall be carved to resemble its owner as he appeared in life, and placed in the tomb.
Look upon this man, ye gods, transfigured souls and spirits of the dead,
for he has acquired force, seized his moment, taken on royal authority,
he's a pharaoh, ruling mankind, controlling them like cattle.
They were created to serve him. The gods themselves ordained it.
Now, shawabti:
If, in the world of the dead, X is ordered to perform the yearly stint of public work all Egyptians owe their pharaoh,
be it to move bricks, level off a plot of ground, re-survey land when the Nile-flood recedes or till new-planted fields,
you will say; "Here I am!" to any functionary who comes looking for X while he is trying to enjoy his meal of funerary offerings.
Take up your hoe, shawabti, your pick, your demarcation pegs, your basket, just as any slave would for his master.
O shawabti made for X, if X is called for his obligations to the state you will pipe up: "Here I am!" whether X is summoned to oversee workers in the new-planted fields, tend to irrigation, move sand from East to West or vice versa
"Here I am!" you will say and take his place.
Coffin Text 472, translated by Jacob Rabinowitz [6]
Addressing supernatural powers

Prayers and offerings

Udjat, late period; Source: UCL In dealing with the gods care was required. They were powerful and, consequently, highly respected: Mut carried the epithet Great in Magic, the vulture-headed Heknet [26], the Praiser, was Mistress of Spirits,[27] the hippo goddess Taweret was called Great of Sorcery and Sekhmet was the Powerful One. Their nature was often dual: Taweret was a protectress against Typhonic powers, carrying an ankh or a burning torch, but she had the form of an extremely dangerous animal [13]; Sekhmet, a ferocious lion goddess, brought death and destruction when she accompanied the pharaoh on his campaigns of war, but was the main support of the healers in their fight against disease. It was best to treat them with reverence.
Many people today may see practices such as prayers and offerings to gods as distinct from magic, it was not to the Egyptians. Both the living and the dead went to great lengths to receive the blessing of the gods. Hymns of praise were composed and recited, written down on papyrus and put in the tombs. Offerings of food, real or carved on walls, were supposed to satiate the god's hunger and thirst.
Just as the statue of the god Amen for instance was the god himself, a magician, by identifying himself with a god, was transformed into him
'I will say: "Come to me Montu, lord of the day! Come, that you may put N born of N into my hand like an insect in the mouth of a bird". I am Montu whom the gods adore. I will sever your bones and eat your flesh.'
Ostracon found at Deir el Medine
19th dynasty
Ancient Egypt Magazine: Nine measures of magic [11]
Invoking and dismissing

Lesser magical beings like demons, spirits or the deceased did not quite warrant the same amount of respect. But they were the main agents of magic and could be invoked by simple means:
Prescription to make them speak: you put a frog's head on the brazier, then they speak.

or

Prescription for bringing the gods in by force: you put the bile of a crocodile with pounded frankincense on the brazier. If you wish to make them come in quickly again, you put stalks (?) of anise (?) on the brazier together with the egg-shell as above, then the charm works at once.
If they did not obey they (even lamps) could be threatened:
I will not give thee oil, I will not give thee fat. O lamp; verily I will give thee the body of the female cow and put blood of the male bull into (?) thee and put thy band to the testicles (?) of the enemy of Horus.
Once one had received their services it was best to send them away as they could be unpredictable
His dismissal formula: 'Farewell (bis) Anubis, the good ox-herd, Anubis (bis), the son of a (?) jackal (and ?) a dog . . . another volume saith: the child of . . . Isis (?) (and ) a dog, Nabrishoth, the Cherub (?) of Amenti, king of those of.....' Say seven times.

or

The charm which you pronounce when you dismiss them to their place: 'Good dispatch, joyful dispatch!'
-
Picture sources:
[ ] Coptic spell papyrus: Duke Papyrus Archive
[ ] Ay dressed as High Priest: Casson Ancient Egypt
[ ] Birth brick: University of Pennsylvania Museum website [2]
[ ] Magical stela: Metropolitan Museum, 360-343 B.C.E.; Dynasty 30, reign of Nectanebo II; Greywacke; H. 32 7/8 in. (83.5 cm), Fletcher Fund, 1950 [7]
[ ] Talisman facilitating the process of childbirth: © Georges Poncet / Musée du Louvre [16]
[ ] Magic figurine: Ancient Egypt Magazine, Issue Nine - November/December 2001 [10]
[ ] Late Period faience udjat: University College, London
[ ] Love charm: Étienne Drioton, Un charme d'amour égyptien d'époque gréco-romaine, BIFAO 41 (1942), p.75

Footnotes:
[1] Theologians belonging to the three monotheistic religions tend to deny this, drawing a clear line between their 'pure' doctrines devoid of superstition and paganism. But there is no real difference in attitude between Christians, Jews and Muslims and followers of other traditions. They all use rituals which only to a believer are not classified as magical. Thus, Jews kiss the mezuzah, a small case attached to the doorpost containing religious texts, Christians cross themselves, and Muslims circle around a stone when performing the hadj. People will claim that it is the thought behind the ritual which counts - which of course is exactly what magic is all about.
[14] apotropaic: averting evil, from Greek apotrepein, turn away
[17] The magic itself was the essence, not the magician. In the Pyramid Texts king Pepi threatened the gods with the withholding of all offerings if they did not assist him in rising to the heavens
It is not this king Pepi who says this against you, it is the charm which says this against you, ye gods.
J.H. Breasted Development of Religion and Thought in Ancient Egypt, p. 111
[19] If the eagerness of the ushabtis to do their duty was indicative of the work ethics of Egyptian workers we may begin to sympathize with their employers: the tombs ended up by being filled with statuettes, as each was expected to be active for just one day in the year, and there were overseer ushabtis carrying flails.
[20] At least in tales hard study could be avoided, possibly at the price of upsetting one's stomach: Prince Naneferptah
... called for a new piece of papyrus, and wrote on it all that was in the book before him. He dipped it in beer, and washed it off in the liquid; for he knew that if it were washed off, and he drank it, he would know all that there was in the writing.
Princess Ahura: The Magic Book
[21] In his 1914 monograph on amulets Petrie distinguished five classes of amulets [22]:
1. Similars, or Homopoeic, which are for influencing similar parts, or functions, or occurrences, for the wearer
2. Powers or Dynatic, for conferring powers and capacities, especially upon the dead;
3. Property or Ktematic, which are entirely derived from the funeral offerings, and are thus peculiar to Egypt;
4. Protection or Phylactic, such as charms and curative amulets;
5. Gods or Theophoric, connected with the worship of the gods and their functions
Statuette with love-spell[23] The little statuette on the right is about 8 centimetres tall, dates to the Graeco-Roman period, and bears an inscription invoking the powers the deceased depicted by the statuette was thought to have:
Rise and bind him whom I look at, to be my lover, (for) I adore his face.
After Etienne Drioton, Un charme d'amour égyptien d'époque gréco-romaine, BIFAO 41 (1942), p.79
It appears that the constraint of being magically bound to do someone's will could be broken by an encounter with a magician or hearing some auspicious noise like the braying of an ass or the bark of a dog.
[24]Thesaurus Linguae Aegyptiae website => Altägyptisches Wörterbuch, Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften => Grabinschriften => Gisa => Grabkomplex des Kaiemankh (G 4561) => Grabkomplex des Rawer (PM III 265-269) => Relief- und Stelenfragmente => Biographische Inschriftenstele
[25] Meskell, op.cit., p.65
[26] W. Max Muller, Egyptian Mythology, Kessinger Publishing, 2004, p.133
[27] Francis Llewellyn Griffith, Herbert Thompson. The Leyden papyrus: an Egyptian magical book, Courier Dover Publications, 1974, p.159
[29] The stories in Exodus should not be considered to be historical facts. They reflect the Hebrew traditions which appear to be based on intimated knowledge of the ancient Egyptian society.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/opinion-guest-authors/magic-and-superstition-ancient-egypt-002214

-

-

Magic and superstition in ancient Egypt
(Read the article on one page)
On a grey November day in London’s Hyde Park we passed beneath a cluster of leafless trees, their skeletal branches alive with the chatter of hundreds of starlings. Suddenly, the birds fell silent. A long moment passed. And then with a single hum they rose as one body and took flight. We were amazed at the uncanny unison of the flock, alerted by a signal undetectable to us that had pulled them as if by a magnet from the bare branches.

AD
Tools to Help Manage and Grow Your Publication
Sponsored by Revenue.com
The delight we felt at this wild display would have been denied to an ancient Egyptian. Not because they didn’t appreciate the wonders of nature - they were keen observers of the world around them – but their attitude to birds in flight was thickly layered with superstition and legend. They saw the simultaneous movement of a flock as evidence of control by an invisible, evil, force. They used cruel ‘throwsticks’ to break up the flocks; weapons that symbolized the victory of order over chaos. Convinced that imperceptible forces of evil might destroy the peace as suddenly and ruthlessly as a crocodile lunges from calm water to drag an unwary bather to his death, they lived in constant fear that could only be abated with ritual and magic.
Hunting birds with a throwing stick
Hunting birds with a throwing stick. Image source .
The startling visions in Alfred Hitchcock’s classic, The Birds , would have disturbed an Egyptian’s soul. The image of thousands of birds possessed by an invisible, malicious force would speak directly to their greatest fear – that chaos could overwhelm the fragile universe at any time unless kept at bay by the force of magical ritual.
Ancient Egyptians would have been horrified by the depictions of chaos shown on a modern movie screen. The evil enacted in The Mummy or The Scorpion King would be deeply shocking to them. The mere process of representing an idea, whether benign or malevolent, through words, dance, music or drama was considered tantamount to making it a reality. The primary purpose of art was not entertainment. The creative process, in all its manifestations, was respected because it was considered part and parcel of the formative magic that brought the world into existence. The idea of carelessly conjuring up movie screen size images of evil would be considered reckless, to say the least. To represent evil, even in art, was to enhance its power. When it was absolutely necessary to depict malevolent gods care was always taken to minimize their size. They must never be given more power than they already possessed by allowing the perception to prevail that they were larger than life.
Our currently popular vampire movies would be more easily accepted. Combating demons with rituals and charms was regarded as a natural undertaking. Indeed, the custom of wearing foul-smelling garlic necklaces to ward off an enemy originated in Egypt. The shape of the garlic clove was reminiscent of a demon’s fang. Egyptian magic fought like with like.
The Priest/Magician
In the twenty-first century magic, science, religion and mythology could not be more separate entities. Each is a distinct specialty. Each offers its own ‘experts’ and practitioners who jealously guard the gates to their individual secrets. The modern magician is more showman than storyteller. His stories are rudimentary compared to those of his predecessors. In contrast, in ancient Egypt the priest and the magician received the same education. They studied the same myths and called upon the same gods and goddesses in their magic. Priest and magician were, in fact, the same person. When they performed ceremonies and cast spells they assumed both roles simultaneously.
Amenhotep, high priest of Amun, and Ramses IX
Amenhotep, high priest of Amun, and Ramses IX - Wall relief on second axis, Karnak temple of Amun-Ra, Egypt. Image source: Wikipedia
These roles were only differentiated by whom they served. When they attended to the royal family, especially the Pharaoh, they were esteemed as priests and entrusted to perform critical rituals considered essential for the preservation of the Kingdom. These duties emphasized what might be called 'calendar magic'; magic performed at specific times of the day and on special days of the year. When these same priests served the general public they assumed the role of magician. But the same deities were invoked and the same rituals carried out as those enacted in the splendour of the royal temples.
In short, the magician was a priest in private practice.
Ancient magicians played an integral part in orthodox religion; casting spells to protect the royal family as they practiced their consciously optimistic profession. Although it was accepted that evil would never be conquered, this depressing reality was balanced with the belief that the forces of darkness could be contained through careful ritual, ceremony and the discreet practice of the sacred secrets held by the esteemed court magicians. Nothing corrupt or degrading was allowed to stain these duties. The magician/priests were not judged by their glittering showmanship but by how well they served the purpose of goodwill and their Pharaoh and how successfully they brought prosperity to the land.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/opinion-guest-authors/magic-and-superstition-ancient-egypt-002214?page=0%2C1

-

Magic and superstition in ancient Egypt
(Read the article on one page)
We still play with remnants of Egypt’s sophisticated religion. Every time we pierce our ears or indulge in a tattoo or spray a favorite perfume over our throat we are sharing a diluted hint of a culture that has haunted and fascinated us for thousands of years. The Egyptians believed that the ear was a particularly vulnerable organ; allowing demons easy entrance to capture the soul. Not many women realize as they choose a flattering pair of earrings at the jewelry counter that these sparkling pieces were invented by the Egyptians as amulets to deflect evil forces from entering the body. Powerful magicians were consulted to ensure that the appropriate design was selected to best deter the feared invaders. For those who couldn’t afford the elaborate dangling version, ear-piercing was considered better than nothing. And sweet smelling perfume was believed to attract good spirits in contrast to the foul odor of garlic that was used to ward off evil spirits.

AD
Tools to Help Manage and Grow Your Publication
Sponsored by Revenue.com
Bes Amulet of protection on necklace
Bes Amulet of protection on necklace, from pit owned by First Prophet of Amun. Image source: Wikipedia
Tattoos were also part of a magician’s trade. As Geraldine Pinch writes in MAGIC IN ANCIENT EGYPT, “Early opponents of Christianity accused Jesus of having trained as a magician in Egypt and of working his miracles by means of magical tattoos acquired there.” [1]. The remnants of Egyptian magic are preserved whenever a modern-day showman uses masks, wands and sometimes lions, snakes and ‘ghosts’ in his or her act. Even the twenty-first century conjurer’s choice of a black costume would not have been out of place in ancient Egypt.
The prime suspect in our new book, KILLING MOSES, is the master magician, Reuel. As a young man he travelled to Egypt to learn his art where he reached the highest levels of his chosen profession.
Reuel was permitted to practice magic inside the sanctity of the royal court which meant that he was honoured as both priest and magician. Although he was a foreigner he was trusted to be accepted as a student of the elite practice of Egyptian magic which made him unique in a highly competitive and secret field. But Reuel had an agenda unknown by his esteemed tutors in the House of Life. The worldview and skills he embraced during the time he spent in this most dominant and mysterious of ancient civilizations formed the foundation of his plan to exact a brutal revenge nurtured by a lifetime of bitterness.
Reuel wielded his finely-honed skills of illusion, drama and terror with imagination and audacity. His obsession compelled him to commit a brazen history-changing crime when he murdered Moses on the Mountain of God.
We can all be deceived by a magician unless we know his trade secrets. By pulling back the curtain and revealing the manipulations behind the scenes we can watch a master magician when he weaves his deadly spell.

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
10 Levitations caught on tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRHEFGxh9k

--------------------
mena

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Mena: There was a video posted 3 years ago in EGSF of an Indian man levitating and he sarcastically say to the viewers do you want to know how to levitate? I will not teach you how to levitate.

-
God Heka

-
God Heka

-
God Heka

-
God Heka

-
God Heka

-
God Ptah

-
The Ba (soul) or Heka

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/heka.html

Heka

Heka, HikeHeka, HikeHeka, Hike
In Ancient Egypt Heka (Hike) was the patron of magic and therefore also of medicine. The Egyptian word for magic was "heka" (which literally means "using the Ka") and Heka was the personification of magic. His name (and the word magic) were depicted as a twist of flax and a pair of raised arms. The flax was often placed with the arms, and was thought to resembles two snakes. According to myth, Heka fought and conquered two serpents, and so two intertwined serpents became symbolic of his power. This symbol is still associated with medicine today.

Heka at the temple of Khnum, Esna copyright Olaf Tausch
He was generally considered to be the son of Menhet and Khnum and the three formed the triad of Latopolis (Esna) in Upper Egypt. He was also popular in Heliopolis where he was described as the son of Atum because of the latter´s association with Khnum.

The concept of Heka was central to the Egyptian way of life, and death. Ritual implements were used to help the deceased pass safely to the afterlife, but Heka was the means of accomplishing this task. Heka also helped Ra on his daily journey across the sky by warding off evil spirits and demons.

Heka, Hike
Although Heka had no formal worship, doctors and other healers were called "priests of Heka" and often sought his assistance. He was generally depicted as a man carrying a magic staff and a knife, the tools of a healer. He occasionally appears as a man holding two entwined serpents.

Heka (/ˈhɛkə/; Egyptian: Ḥkȝ; also spelled Hike) was the deification of magic in ancient Egypt. The name is the Egyptian word for "magic". According to Egyptian writing (Coffin text, spell 261), Heka existed "before duality had yet come into being." The term "Heka" was also used to refer to the practice of magical rituals.

Etymology
The word Heka means action of the Ka or activation of the Ka, the Ka being the ancient Egyptian concept of the vital force. Egyptians believed that activating this power of the soul was how magic worked. "Heka" also implied great power and influence, particularly when drawing upon the Ka of the gods.

Legend
In the Coffin Texts, Heka is created at the beginning of time by the creator Atum.[1] He was also said to be the son of Khnum, who created specific individual Ba (another aspect of the soul). As the son of Khnum, his mother was said to be Menhit.

The hieroglyph for his name featured a twist of flax within a pair of raised arms; however, it also vaguely resembles a pair of entwined snakes within someone's arms. Consequently, Heka was said to have battled and conquered two serpents, and was usually depicted as a man choking two giant entwined serpents.

Medicine and doctors were thought to be a form of magic, so Heka's priesthood performed these activities.

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
10 people with superpower caught on tape
https://youtu.be/C_nT8cupiAM

5 people with real superpower caught on tape
https://youtu.be/CWyW-q5cfIw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4072852/He-isn-t-human-Viewers-left-awe-David-Blaine-catches-BULLET-mouth-wowing-David-Beckham-Margot-Robbie-Drake-mind-bending-tricks.htm l

He isn't human': Viewers are left in awe of David Blaine after he catches a BULLET in his mouth (after wowing David Beckham, Margot Robbie and Drake with his mind-bending tricks)
David, 43, caught the bullet in the Beyond Magic special on Channel 4
The magician performed tricks for a whole host of celebrities
He had a special mouth guard for protection which snapped as the bullet hit
David was taken away in an ambulance after receiving a small throat laceration

Mena: Wow what a great magic by David Blaine catching of a bullet with his mouth. That magic remind me of Neo in the Matrix movie stopping bullets with his hand.

-
The moment David Blaine shot a bullet into a cup held in his mouth was caught in slow motion after he pulled the trigger, leaving many viewers in shock

-
David's finale was firing a bullet into his mouth from a rifle at close range, the bullet was caught right on the mark and landed straight in the cup

-
Despite getting taking to the hospital, Blaine later insisted he will perform the trick in his forthcoming live tour

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4097350/I-sure-dead-Magician-David-Blaine-s-attempt-fire-rifle-catch-bullet-mouth-goes-horribly-wrong.html

'I was sure I was dead': Magician David Blaine's attempt to fire a rifle and catch the bullet in his mouth goes horribly wrong
David Blaine thought he had died when his attempt to catch bullet went wrong
He performed stunt in November in Las Vegas and it aired in Britain last night
It involved him holding a metal cup between his teeth, protected by a gumshield
Gumshield shattered on impact and the cup slammed into the back of his throat

-
he magician, 43, performed the stunt at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and it aired on his E4 show Beyond Magic last night

David Baine celebrity 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcqOYHfid0

Dynamo Magician impossible season 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecelBoI0xiw&t=44s

yif magic multiple bill change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBg6beBfC6g&t=35s

Yif bicycle life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGeLw8CyOg&t=557s

6 Impossible Magic Tricks that are Unexplainable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sa_r0Znwa4&t=56s

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
 -
British Magician Dynamo

Steven Frayne (born 17 December 1982), commonly known by his stage name "Dynamo", is an English magician,[1] best known for his television show Dynamo: Magician Impossible which ran from July 2011 to September 2014.

Frayne was born in Bradford, England to an English mother and a father of Pathan ancestry.[2] He suffers from Crohn’s disease, which has made him small in stature his whole life. He was bullied as a child, and one of the first magic tricks he learned was something his grandfather taught him to make it seem as though he was very heavy so that the other children could not pick him up

Dynamo's first radio appearances were on Richard & Judy, followed by a Channel 4 special entitled Dynamo's Weapon state that of Mind. He then released a DVD[4] and has since appeared on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Fatherhood, and at the MTV EMAs (where he performed for the Foo Fighters, Nelly Furtado, and Joss Stone).

He has appeared in ads for Adidas, Nokia, and Pepsi and appeared on the catwalk for Naomi Campbell's Fashion for Relief. In May 2009, Dynamo levitated Little Britain comedian Matt Lucas four feet off the ground in front of a crowd at the Emirates Stadium in London.

On 25 December 2009, Dynamo appeared on the Soccer AM Christmas Special and performed magic for the show's presenters Max Rushden and Helen Chamberlain, as well as fellow guests David Haye and Neil Ruddock. On 19 March 2010, he appeared on BBC One in aid of Sport Relief, where he appeared to turn lottery tickets into cash in front of Robbie Williams and Davina McCall. Later in the show, he performed a levitation in front of James Corden and a live studio audience.

On 18 March 2011, Dynamo appeared on BBC One for Comic Relief to highlight the work that British Airways had done to raise money. On 25 June 2011, he was photographed and videotaped apparently walking on water of the River Thames on foot in front of the Palace of Westminster, to publicise his forthcoming series Dynamo: Magician Impossible. This series featured appearances by Rio Ferdinand, Ian Brown, Noel Fielding, David Haye, Tinie Tempah, Mat Horne, Travis Barker, Natalie Imbruglia, and Robert Sheehan.[5]

In September 2011, Dynamo appeared on sports television program ESPN where he performed card tricks. On 23 October 2011, Dynamo announced that he had joined the magicians' society The Magic Circle. The next day, he appeared as a guest panellist for Noel Fielding's team on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. In November 2011, he appeared on the BBC's Young Apprentice, giving a prize performance in the London Eye for the winning team. He also appeared on Children in Need, performing magic for Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.

The second series of Dynamo: Magician Impossible featured appearances from Wretch 32, Labrinth, Will Smith, Rio Ferdinand and others.

The third series of Dynamo: Magician Impossible began on Watch on 11 July 2013, and featured appearances by Samuel L. Jackson, Jessica Ennis-Hill and Keith Lemon.

On 1 August 2013, Dynamo released an autobiography called Nothing is Impossible.

On 23 November 2013, he performed card tricks during the 1D Day, with One Direction's members, Harry Styles and Liam Payne.

On 14 December 2013, Dynamo appeared in the semi-final of Strictly Come Dancing, as part of a dance routine.

Mena: I think a very small number of human are born with the capability of manipulating atoms. According to one of the Egyptian Tehoti/Thot Seven Laws, the law of vibration that states everything in the universe vibrate. things that vibrate at high speed are invisible like air, light, electricity and spirit. Matter that vibrate a low are hard and visible like rock, house, tree, clothes etc. I think some magicians on earth can manipulate the vibration of matter. I heard in alternative history that the Ancient Egyptians and Black people could travelled from pyramid to pyramid around the world by beaming their bodies or turning their bodies into light.

dynamo magician Top 10 ever He made . great magic ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-c3p1d-Sb4

Dynamo Magician Impossible: Top 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8HQD5-seI&t=18s

Dynamo Magician Impossible 2016 New Magics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0lYW4B0ec

Dynamo magician ~ newest 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHG9ZtSGUU

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
 -
Magician Dynamo

Dynamo Happy Valentine Everyone
https://youtu.be/SE_doBDjU4o

Dynamo bring phobia to life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fKef0_2sM

Dynamo coin flies into glass bottle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEPtw1-Ois

Dynamo bring a snake to life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31O5uzTyDqM

Dynamo makes tattoo disapear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNsYgW5etE

Dynamo ring appear in snow ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpsewjSzvU

Dynamo turning snow into diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90fMjOvIB4

-
Magician Yif

Oil and Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4V5ZlDkq4

Donut time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4QYcdgh8o

Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZrJhy7vBY

French Kiss update
https://youtu.be/1loq-qrgovw

--------------------
mena

mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Yif and Jordan Gomez performing in Hunan TV
https://youtu.be/S0QpEXJk6zY

Eric Jones on the Next Great Magicians
https://youtu.be/Gb_xOBPAs58

--------------------
mena

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com