EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » is this a real portrait of king juba?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is this a real portrait of king juba?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -  -

Steinbuchel claimed that this coin actually depicts a Africanized Jupiter not king Juba

katalog einer sammlung geschnitter stein, wein, 1834, p.11. no. 144

could there be any truth to this?

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

^^^^notice the profile is similar to the coin

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you need to compare this coin with coins of other Numidian and Mauretanian kings
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
you need to compare this coin with coins of other Numidian and Mauretanian kings

show me another coin that looks like this one

so far i have not found one

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
quote:

what do you mean "looks like" ?
There are other Numidian and Mauretanian king coins as well as of his son Juba II

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are other Numidian and Mauretanian king coins as well as of his son Juba II

what Juba II coin?

all i see is Juba coins

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
 -
roman republic coin of young Hercules
 -
king juba coin (image of young Hercules)

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

what Juba II coin?

all i see is Juba coins

Juba II is the son of Juba

quote:

Juba II (52/50 BC – AD 23) was a king of Numidia and then later moved to Mauretania.
Juba II was a Berber prince from North Africa. He was the only child and heir of King Juba I of Numidia; his mother's identity is unknown. In 46 BC, his father was defeated by Julius Caesar (in Thapsus, North Africa). Numidia became a Roman Province.[1] His father had been an ally of the Roman General Pompey.

Juba II was brought to Rome by Julius Caesar and he took part in Caesar’s triumphal procession. In Rome he learned Latin and Greek, became romanized and was granted Roman citizenship.[1] Through dedication to his studies, he is said to have become one of Rome's best educated citizens, and by age 20 he wrote one of his first works entitled Roman Archaeology.[1] He was raised by Julius Caesar and later by his great-nephew Octavian (future Emperor Caesar Augustus). While growing up, Juba II accompanied Octavian on military campaigns, gaining valuable experience as a leader. He fought alongside Octavian in the battle of Actium in 31 BC. They became longtime friends.

go to google images

type

"Juba II" sculpture

then type

"juba II" coin

^^ in quotes just like that, to link Juba with II

then type Juba sculpture ( for his father, sculpture )

then also type

Numidian coins

and also

Mauretanian coins

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

what Juba II coin?

all i see is Juba coins

Juba II is the son of Juba

quote:

Juba II (52/50 BC – AD 23) was a king of Numidia and then later moved to Mauretania.
Juba II was a Berber prince from North Africa. He was the only child and heir of King Juba I of Numidia; his mother's identity is unknown. In 46 BC, his father was defeated by Julius Caesar (in Thapsus, North Africa). Numidia became a Roman Province.[1] His father had been an ally of the Roman General Pompey.

Juba II was brought to Rome by Julius Caesar and he took part in Caesar’s triumphal procession. In Rome he learned Latin and Greek, became romanized and was granted Roman citizenship.[1] Through dedication to his studies, he is said to have become one of Rome's best educated citizens, and by age 20 he wrote one of his first works entitled Roman Archaeology.[1] He was raised by Julius Caesar and later by his great-nephew Octavian (future Emperor Caesar Augustus). While growing up, Juba II accompanied Octavian on military campaigns, gaining valuable experience as a leader. He fought alongside Octavian in the battle of Actium in 31 BC. They became longtime friends.

go to google images

type

"Juba II" sculpture

then type

"juba II" coin

^^ in quotes just like that, to link Juba with II

then type Juba sculpture ( for his father, sculpture )

then also type

Numidian coins

and also

Mauretanian coins

there is no coins with Juba II on them

only rex juba coins are shown

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
 -
Another king juba coin depicting Hercules in lion skin
 -
Another Roman republic coin of hercules

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

only rex juba coins are shown [/QB]

wrong both Juba I and his son Juba II have "rex" on their coins it just means king and there are many Juba II coins on google images
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

wrong both Juba I and his son Juba II have "rex" on their coins it just means king and there are many Juba II coins on google images [/QB]
Do you have any proof of that?

or are you regurgitating google or some historian(who is assuming)?

how do you know the different coins doesn't belong to the same king

since there is no juba II coin

how do you know the image on the coin is even him?

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Am I the only one who is beginning to think this boy might have an asperger's issue?

Anyway - Mike111 out!

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
^Am I the only one who is beginning to think this boy might have an asperger's issue?

Anyway - Mike111 out!

^^^figures
im not surprised

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

wrong both Juba I and his son Juba II have "rex" on their coins it just means king and there are many Juba II coins on google images

how do you know the image on the coin is even him? [/QB]

You are not saying that one cannot distinguish a Juba I coin from a Juba II coin

Instead you are saying there is no juba II coin

How do you know there is no juba II coin rather than Juba coins existing and the case possibly being that one cannot tell if one of these coins is Juba i or Juba II ?
The coins of Roman emperor Coins of Gordian I,II, and III for instance don't have " I,II, or III " marked on them but there are different coins for these related emperors.

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

how do you know the image on the coin is even him?

You are not saying that one cannot distinguish a Juba I coin from a Juba II coin

Instead you are saying there is no juba II coin

How do you know there is no juba II coin rather than Juba coins existing and the case possibly being that one cannot tell if one of these coins is Juba i or Juba II ?
The coins of Roman emperor Coins of Gordian I,II, and III for instance don't have " I,II, or III " marked on them but there are different coins for these related emperors. [/QB]

finally your beginning to understand what im saying

for example
 -  -  -
^^^^ notice julius caesar had multiple coins

how do you know king juba or king juba II didn't have multiple coins with different portraits of different Greek gods on them

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^ yes but some of this emperors or kings had sons and some of those sons had the same name. So if Juba coins exist and Juba had a son also named Juba how do you know there are no coins of Juba the son ?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
^ yes but some of this emperors or kings had sons and some of those sons had the same name. So if Juba coins exist and Juba had a son also named Juba how do you know there are no coins of Juba the son ?

that is what i am pointing out here
we don't know if rex juba on the coins belong to the first or the second juba

i am betting on Juba II however

rather juba the first had coins or not is debatable

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

but you said:

quote:

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

but you said:

quote:

there is no coin of juba II

however he is the only Juba married to a Cleopatra
 -
i cant say for certain rather that is the both of them depicted on the coin

because his image may actually be a young Hercules and her image may be some other goddess
(to compare their marriage to the gods)

we can only conjecture from then on

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
who is the only juba married to a Cleopatra
will be your answer

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
will be your answer

Juba II is the only juba married to a Cleopatra.

But you said

quote:

do you want to retract that?
How do you know for sure Juba II is not on that coin?

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
will be your answer

But you said

quote:

the name JUBA II is not on the coin
it only reads JUBA
so im correct on my first statement

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
will be your answer

But you said

quote:

it only reads JUBA

so are you wrong on your second statement?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:

but you said:

quote:

-

whose coin is this?
will be your answer

But you said

quote:

it only reads JUBA

so are you wrong on your second statement?
no

is there a point your making?

how do we know both coins do not belong to juba II since both coins do not distinguish between juba I or II

the coin with the Africanized zeus/jupiter could also belong to juba II

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com