EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » TV series Still Star Crossed show the Italian prince as a Black man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV series Still Star Crossed show the Italian prince as a Black man
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Star-Crossed

Mena: I was amazed to discover by accident while changing the channel in my TV of a TV series name Still Star Cross about Renaiissance Europe who was historically accurate by showing an Italian Prince as a Black man. One of the noble family the Capulet in the series was a Black family. I think Afrocentric historians influence some Hollywood movie directors.

-
Prince Escalus

-

-
Rosaline Capulet

-

Still Star-Crossed is an American period drama television series created by Heather Mitchell and based on the book with the same name by Melinda Taub.[1] The series is produced by Shonda Rhimes's ShondaLand and ABC Studios, and aired on ABC during the 2016–17 television season.[2] The series premiered on May 29, 2017. [3] ABC cancelled the show after one season in June 2017. [4]

Plot[edit]
Following the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, Rosaline Capulet is betrothed against her will to Benvolio Montague by Prince Escalus, who hopes to end the feud between their families. The two set out to find a way to prevent the marriage and, at the same time, prevent the destruction of their families.

Cast and characters[edit]
Main[edit]
Lashana Lynch as Rosaline Capulet, Livia's sister, the niece of Lord and Lady Capulet and Juliet's cousin and handmaiden. Later she is betrothed to Benvolio and made a Lady.
Wade Briggs as Benvolio Montague, Romeo's cousin and the nephew of Lord Montague. Initially a playboy and a wastrel, he becomes the heir of House Montague after Romeo's death.
Ebonée Noel as Livia Capulet, Rosaline's sister and later handmaiden, the niece of Lord and Lady Capulet and Juliet's cousin.
Torrance Coombs as Count Paris, he was Juliet's betrothed, unaware that she had married Romeo. He is critically wounded and taken in by Lady Capulet.
Medalion Rahimi as Princess Isabella
Sterling Sulieman as Prince Escalus
Zuleikha Robinson as Lady Giuliana Capulet
Anthony Stewart Head as Lord Silvestro Capulet
Grant Bowler as Lord Damiano Montague
Dan Hildebrand as Friar Lawrence
Susan Wooldridge as The Nurse
Recurring[edit]
Lucien Laviscount as Romeo Montague
Clara Rugaard as Juliet Capulet
Gregg Chillin as Mercutio
Shazad Latif as Tybalt Capulet
Llew Davies as Truccio, a peasant ostensibly in service to House Montague.
Episodes[edit]

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jantavanta
Member # 20328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jantavanta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, Afrocentric historians influence Hollywood casting.
Posts: 384 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think accurate historians influence Hollywood casting.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think religious nature of Africans and the fact they watch more TV than anyone, especially females who the series probably is targeting influenced this depiction. I.E., ratings and commercial revenue.

All black fluff material is not necessarily, good fluff material.
In fact, I am amazed on the accuracy of Booker T. Washington's forecast warning against the misguided attempt of W.E.B. DuBois to place white assimilation ahead of black industrialism, as I can't help but to believe applies here.

As Booker T. Washington so eloquently expressed;

“We shall prosper in proportion as we learn to dignify and glorify common labour, and put brains and skill into the common occupations of life; shall prosper in proportion as we learn to draw the line between the superficial and the substantial, the ornamental gewgaws of life and the useful.”, and directed at DuBois, Washington stated,
“The opportunity to earn a dollar in a factory just now is worth infinitely more than the opportunity to spend a dollar in an opera house.”

Incidentally, even DuBois's famous label, The Talented Tenth, originates from a white man.

Not to suggest that DuBois's work in history isn't unparalleled and is the highest contribution to African history, however, like Martin Luther King, he just did not possess the same knowledge level of judging men's characters equal to his ability in writing history.

--------------------
Selenium gives real life and true reality

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jantavanta
Member # 20328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jantavanta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
I think accurate historians influence Hollywood casting.

Well said !
Posts: 384 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny Glover says producers told him his Haiti film lacked 'white heroes'

U.S. actor Danny Glover, who plans an epic next year on Haitian independence hero Toussaint-Louverture, said he slaved to raise funds for the movie because financiers (Hollywood Jews) complained there were no white heroes.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/this-and-that/2008/7/26/28807/Danny-Glovers-Haiti-film-lacked-white-heroes-producers-said

--------------------
Selenium gives real life and true reality

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fencer
Member # 22259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fencer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes this is done mockingly, the people who will watch this probably have no idea how accurate it is. I'd rather read and research than watch something like this.
Posts: 310 | From: US | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fencer:
Sometimes this is done mockingly, the people who will watch this probably have no idea how accurate it is. I'd rather read and research than watch something like this.

Agreed.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakepit1
Member # 21736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakepit1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cancelled.
https://twitter.com/torrancecoombs/status/878458041149956096

Posts: 117 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com