EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Jay Z 4:44 Video (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Jay Z 4:44 Video
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tific:
I'm not convinced that there are forces conspiring to limit, restrict or undermine rap.

Where did I say I wanted to convince you, I don't even know who you are in the first place. But there are indeed forces to undermine rap. It has been documented, by recordings. [Wink]

quote:
There are plenty of examples where a label may reject a finished album or sexualise / coerce the artist in a commercial direction

This has very little to do with (political awareness) conscious rap, mainly implemented towards the black community. Do you see the difference yet?

quote:
.It would also need the background staff ( see above )to comply, assist & craft the product.

I already wrote about that. What are you fronting? The executive has the end say.

quote:
I also disagree with this defeatist notion that no matter how successful you are. You will always be viewed as a N.... By white supremicists.

I posted evidence along with practical facts, it has little to do with what you believe or not. And of course not every single white individual thinks like this.

quote:
Nwa were formed before Public Enemy

No, they weren't. And can tell so by inside information. In fact another rapper was supposed to take Chuck D's role. This individual later became the rapper for another group, in the early 90's. P.E. was found early 1982.

quote:
There are also plenty of interviews which confirm Public Enemy were not originally meant to be a political act.

This is not true either, the concept was in long before.

quote:
Also the dancer is correct.

What do you mean by the dancers?

quote:
Pe's message also never seemed to work on Flava flav which undermined ther seriousness..

Flava Flav his position is / was to undermined the seriousness and act all coonish. This is why his slogan always has been "DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS, YEAHHH BOOOYYYYY?"

All members in P.E. have a political position.

quote:
Krs 1 ( Boogie down productions )has also claimed that the Criminal minded album was the template but changed his ways after the death of his dj & partner Scott La Rock.

LOL … Okay.

"Criminal Minded" is kinda' philosophical don't you think?

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The music industry also shifted from disco , soul , funk genres & groups with live instruments to Boogie & Electro using drum machines synths & more individual producers.

Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

The reason why live bands became a rarity was because of poverty in these communities. Most kids learned how to play instruments at school.

A few years later it revived with drum machines synths etc. Known as electro funk, house and in rap music.

quote:

Bam had ideas but went to Tom Silverman Tommy Boy records..

Sylvia Robinson of Sugarhill records cheated many artists & had mafia links.

All labels cheat on artist. That is what labels do. This for example is how Elvis became the king of rock and roll, with his "brand new songs". This is also how eminem became the "god of rap" (hence the documented recordings).

So what were these mafia links Sylvia Robinson had, you are refering at?

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor: rapper was supposed to take Chuck D's role. This individual later became the rapper for another group, in the early 90's. P.E. was found early 1982.

stop making up stuff

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:

quote:

All labels cheat on artist. That is what labels do. This for example is how Elvis became the king of rock and roll, with his "brand new songs". This is also how eminem became the "god of rap" (hence the documented recordings).

Explain how Eminem cheated artists
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tific     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sugarhill record label was created with financial backing from Morris Levy. Sal Pisello became involved later on.

There was a disco records demolition night in the Us at a sports event .Soul & funk music was not boycotted & disco songs were still released & popular in other countries after the event. Many of the older soul , funk acts & groups had difficult times when disco was popular.But the majority of them declined , split or were absent in the eighties.

Music tuition in education may have faced cutbacks. But other groups & genres still had bands . You presume that people had to have traditional tuition & were not self taught. It also doesnt explain the same events happening in Europe the Caribbean etc in many specific genres of music.

Rock & synth pop groups never experienced the same drastic shift.And people were not inspired to learn instruments & form groups when the older generations careers where resurrected & rekindled through sampling.

Public Enemy were not originally a political act .Their debut album only had one political track..I have magazine interviews from professor griff or you can email him to verify. The band had songs like Burn hollywood burn , Fight the power , She watch channel zero.Dont believe the hype.Night of the living Baseheads when Flava flav was a crackhead .

He even participated in reality shows & spin offs like Flava of love.The Surreal Life.

I have sources of Ice cube in a magazine interview who states that Nwa were out before Public Enemy. Bdp giving an account of his directional change after Scott La Rock death.

But it doesnt make much difference as your posts are innacurate & hyperbolic.

you claimed that there are forces trying to destabilise rap .They would have no need if they were boycotting soul funk disco etc in the 70s as you posted.

Even less convinced.

quote:
quote:
The music industry also shifted from disco , soul , funk genres & groups with live instruments to Boogie & Electro using drum machines synths & more individual producers.

Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

The reason why live bands became a rarity was because of poverty in these communities. Most kids learned how to play instruments at school.

A few years later it revived with drum machines synths etc. Known as electro funk, house and in rap music.

quote:

So what were these mafia links Sylvia Robinson had, you are refering at?

--------------------
Account deactivated on request

Posts: 16 | From: europe | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tific     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post

--------------------

Posts: 16 | From: europe | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
Back on topic.

Is anybody surprised to hear why 50 cent was shot 9 times When he came on the scene with content like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3uZ0Gf104A

You could not create or release a song like this in most countries.

In contrast.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3byhpz

Shabba ranks was a dancehall artist who appeared on a tv show. The host asked him for his opinion on a Buju banton feature. Shabba Ranks responded to the question & was challenged. Shabba did not participate in the recording of the song but his international career was over.

--------------------

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
stop making up stuff

You know very little about the industry and culture. [Embarrassed]

I met many known people over the years in my teen and early adolescence. [Big Grin]

quote:
Explain how Eminem cheated artists

[Frown]

Again, you are absent in this industry and culture. You know very little about the subject. But perhaps you can explain how it as possible that the white media outputs called him the best rapper ever, only after his second release? He immediately was given a "Hollywood blockbuster movie" called "8 mile", or something like that. Telling a fake story about his "live and struggles as a white rapper". [Big Grin]

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
The Sugarhill record label was created with financial backing from Morris Levy. Sal Pisello became involved later on.

The on going American politics.

quote:
.Soul & funk music was not boycotted & disco songs were still released & popular in other countries after the event

So who railed up against them and burned those records in that station? What was their narrative? It is well know this movement destroyed the base for these musicians? Even Nile Rogers explained this history and the social and finical impact it had on black musicians. The disco era stopped by 1981 and transitioned into R&B, from this came New Jack Swing. Now we have black singers who lost soul, and I know why.

quote:
Many of the older soul , funk acts & groups had difficult times when disco was popular.But the majority of them declined , split or were absent in the eighties.

They declined for the reasons I have summed up before. This together with more popularized "white influence" lead to decline of soulfulness in black music we have today (soulless).

quote:
Music tuition in education may have faced cutbacks. But other groups & genres still had bands .

These defunding especially hit black areas hard. This one of the reasons why Beat Boxing be came thing.

quote:
You presume that people had to have traditional tuition & were not self taught.

You need to finance these and learn these. The autodidactic learning part is one, financing is another. What do you do when there is no or very little money in the household?

They did not even have the money to buy records on occasion. Let alone instruments.

quote:
It also doesnt explain the same events happening in Europe the Caribbean etc in many specific genres of music.

Not really sure what you mean by this? What same events happened in Europe? lol Europe is a continent not a country, it's a continent with many different cultures.

What about the Caribbean etc in many specific genres of music?

quote:
Rock & synth pop groups never experienced the same drastic shift.

In fact the same group that destroyed disco records emboldened the rock synth pop groups / records.

quote:
And people were not inspired to learn instruments & form groups when the older generations careers where resurrected & rekindled through sampling.

These people had a different socioeconomic and demographic status. You are comparing apples with oranges. A sampler back then was at minimum 4000 dollars and up, way up. Drum matches were somewhat cheap. Late 80's these devices became cheaper and more affordable for the mainstream, however still expensive. By that time there were no bands playing funk like in the 70's.

quote:
Public Enemy were not originally a political act .Their debut album only had one political track..I have magazine interviews from professor griff or you can email him to verify. The band had songs like Burn hollywood burn , Fight the power , She watch channel zero.Dont believe the hype.Night of the living Baseheads when Flava flav was a crackhead .

The very basis for Public Enemy existence was political rap. I know for the inside that it was already in the making long before. Btw, what gives it away is the group formation. [Big Grin] And even the group name Public Enemy gives it away. Once you understand the origin in the name "public enemy". [Big Grin]

The reason why the first album had only a "few political tracks" is because it was unusual for people to have a rap group focusing solely on social issues.

quote:
.Soul & funk music was not boycotted & disco songs were still released & popular in other countries after the event

So who railed up against them and burned those records in that station? What was their narrative? It is well know this movement destroyed the base for these musicians? Even Nile Rogers explained this history and the social and finical impact it had on black musicians. The disco era stopped by 1981 and transitioned into R&B, from this came New Jack Swing. Now we have black singers who lost soul, and I know why.

quote:
Many of the older soul , funk acts & groups had difficult times when disco was popular.But the majority of them declined , split or were absent in the eighties.

They declined for the reasons I have summed up before. This together with more popularized "white influence" lead to decline of soulfulness in black music we have today (soulless).

quote:
Music tuition in education may have faced cutbacks. But other groups & genres still had bands .

These defunding especially hit black areas hard. This one of the reasons why Beat Boxing be came thing.

quote:
You presume that people had to have traditional tuition & were not self taught.

You need to finance these and learn these. The autodidactic learning part is one, financing is another. What do you do when there is no or very little money in the household?

They did not even have the money to buy records on occasion. Let alone instruments.

quote:
It also doesnt explain the same events happening in Europe the Caribbean etc in many specific genres of music.

Not really sure what you mean by this? What same events happened in Europe? lol Europe is a continent not a country, it's a continent with many different cultures.

What about the Caribbean etc in many specific genres of music?

quote:
Rock & synth pop groups never experienced the same drastic shift.

In fact the same group that destroyed disco records emboldened the rock synth pop groups / records.

quote:
And people were not inspired to learn instruments & form groups when the older generations careers where resurrected & rekindled through sampling.

These people had a different socioeconomic and demographic status. You are comparing apples with oranges. A sampler back then was at minimum 4000 dollars and up, way up. Drum matches were somewhat cheap. Late 80's these devices became cheaper and more affordable for the mainstream, however still expensive. By that time there were no bands playing funk like in the 70's.

quote:

The very basis for Public Enemy existence was political rap. I know for the inside that it was already in the making long before. Btw, what gives it away is the group formation. [Big Grin] And even the group name Public Enemy gives it away. Once you understand the origin in the name "public enemy". [Big Grin]

The reason why the first album had only a "few political tracks" is because it was unusual for people to have a rap group focusing solely on social issues.

quote:
Dont believe the hype.Night of the living Baseheads when Flava flav was a crackhead .

He even participated in reality shows & spin offs like Flava of love.The Surreal Life.

Yep, he was "he crackhead".

As I explained before he portrayed the fool. He portrays foolish black people. Griff was the intellectual, Chuck D the messenger. S1W rebels.

quote:
I have sources of Ice cube in a magazine interview who states that Nwa were out before Public Enemy. Bdp giving an account of his directional change after Scott La Rock death.

So you are telling me that NWA was established before 1982? Rap wasn't even a thing in L.A. [Frown]

Dre was in glitter suits back in 1985, making West Cost Electric music. The group was called World Class Wreckin' Cru. I will make no big deal about the close, because it was a trend black then. I was a kid so it didn't effect me, luckily.

quote:
Bdp giving an account of his directional change after Scott La Rock death.

I have heard different. And it has to do with a few other groups from that time. The Informant was Ultra Magnetic MC's.

quote:
But it doesnt make much difference as your posts are innacurate & hyperbolic.

LOL sure, as I heard it coming from insiders. People I actually met. [Big Grin]

quote:
you claimed that there are forces trying to destabilise rap .They would have no need if they were boycotting soul funk disco etc in the 70s as you posted.

But they did. This is why the uplifting black massage in songs is no longer. Instead we get to hear the destructive messages.

You just shot yourself in the foot.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Public Enemy were not originally a political act .Their debut album only had one political track [/QB]
The debut "Yo! Bum Rush The Show", is loaded with political messages and consciousness.

Public Enemy - You're Gonna Get Yours

No cop got a right to call me a punk
Take this ticket, go to hell and stick it
Put me on a kick but line up, times up
This government needs a tune up
I don't even know what's happenin', what's up?
Gun in my chest, I'm under arrest

Public Enemy - Sophisticated Bitch

Little is known about her past
So listen to me cause I know her ass
Used to steal money out her boyfriends clothes
And never got caught, so the story goes
She kept doin' that to all her men
Found the wrong man when she did it again
And still to this day people wonder why
Did he beat the bitch down til she almost died?

Miuzi weighs a ton is somewhat subliminal.

Public Enemy - Timebomb

Somebody to body, makin' a baby
Givin' it to grandma then makin' her crazy
I'm a MC protector, U.S. defector
South African government wrecker
Panther power, you can feel it in my arm
Lookout y'all cause I'm a timebomb
Tickin', tockin', all about rockin'

Rightstarter (Message To A Black Man) need no explanation, this is the most political song on there.

Public Enemy - Public Enemy No. 1 was just straight up raw hip hop, and unprecedented for its time. I still know where I was that day, when I first heard it. (those teen years are unforgettable)

Yo! Bum Rush The Show tells they will Bum Rush The Show.

Public Enemy - Raise The Roof is self explanatory

In school I'm cool throughout the week
When the weekend comes, I'm down with the Greeks
Frat brothers known across the seven seas
Fly ladies of the 80's, sororities
Zetas, Deltas, AKA's
Women that keep me in a daze
The A Phi A, Sigma boys on the move
With the Kappas and the Ques and of course the Grooves
And for real it's the deal and the actual fact
It takes a nation of millions to hold me back
Rejected and accepted as a communist
Claimin' fame to my name as a terrorist
Makin' money in corners that you'll never see
Dodgin' judges and the lawyers and the third degree

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Back on topic.

Is anybody surprised to hear why 50 cent was shot 9 times When he came on the scene with content like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3uZ0Gf104A

You could not create or release a song like this in most countries.

In contrast.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3byhpz

Shabba ranks was a dancehall artist who appeared on a tv show. The host asked him for his opinion on a Buju banton feature. Shabba Ranks responded to the question & was challenged. Shabba did not participate in the recording of the song but his international career was over.

Never really cared for 50 Cent and any of his songs. This one sounds like a weird diss record. However, I do like Power. It is well made.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom line, as stated already, the same forces that exploited black people on plantations for their labor are the same folks that exploited their creative energy and struggles against oppression in entertainment. For most of entertainment industry in America, the image of a "gangster" or "thug" was the white male. Rarely if ever was the black man shown as a thug. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, George Raft and Edward G. Robinson defined the image of the gangster on screen. And popular culture of the 30s and 40s was full of pulp fiction comics like "The Shadow" which were full of images of white thugs and gangsters.

https: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Caesar_(film)

-
https://www.pinterest.com/chris5267/pulp-the-shadow/

But there is no coincidence that after the 60s, when black folks were visibly fighting for civil rights and standing up for "black pride" and "black power" that all of a sudden you started to see the rise of blaxpoitation films where black people became the face of crime in America. And along with that, the government and CIA created the notorious drug dealers of Harlem and elsewhere by supplying them with Heroin and other drugs from Asia and Latin America (long before Ollie North). And these drugs were intentionally dropped in the black community to stifle the rise of black people and black pride after the passage of the civil rights act.

All sorts of social engineering took place from white flight, rise of immigration from Asia and Mexico and the offshoring of factory jobs and industries, which devastated black communities across the country. And in the face of all of that, early Hip Hop was STILL positive and progressive reflecting the mind state of 'black pride" that still existed from the Afro Sheen era and young people who grew up with "Soul Train". If "gangster rap" was such an organic and "natural" thing then it should have been in rap from the start but it wasn't.

In fact gangster rap didn't rise until these black rappers were FAR AWAY from the streets in record studios and as employees of record companies..... All of which was done to prevent the rise of "a black messiah" or black pride from becoming too dominant in black society after the 70s. So instead they programmed black youth to want to be the pimp, thug and gangster that they never can be in real life because black folks aren't going to "get around" white racism by being criminals. And in fact the idea that "black thugs" are going to out hustle and out con the folks that hustled black folks from Africa and stole everything from them is an absurd idea in the first place. Yet that is exactly how they introduced blaxpoitation and "thug culture" to the masses with "Sweet Sweetback Badass Song".

"Thugs" or "bosses" or "real players" don't sit around rapping about things they haven't done or don't have. That is fake fantasy world nonsense. And black folks aren't thugs or gangsters in a real sense because they don't own or control any sizable part of the money flow, economics, politics or power in the country. At best the only thing they can be are nickle and dime crooks, trying to get basic necessities from illegal activities.... In fact this is only feeding the prison industrial complex which exploded for black folks after the 70s. All of this goes together.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Bottom line, as stated already, the same forces that exploited black people on plantations for their labor are the same folks that exploited their creative energy and struggles against oppression in entertainment. […]

Cosigned.

Another irony is that positive community movements in L.A. imploded and became extremely violent L.A. gangs, by the late 70's early 80's.

tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
@Ish Can you please stop portraying black people as weak unresourceful uncreative victims to curve fit your inaccurate theories?

Many genres of music have a short shelf life but still exist or morph into new genres when new technology or techniques emerge.

Punk rock , Jazz fusion , Uk jazz funk , Uk garage ,Latin boogaloo , Progressive rock. Ska , Pyschadelic rock ,New wave ,Freestyle ,Lovers rock , Rare groove , Acid Jazz. Electro funk , Electro hip hop. Synthpop. Detroit go go ( Detroit go go musicians crafted instruments from Junk ) Grunge , Swingbeat , Hip house are declining or unfashionable genres.

Disco was different because it was an expensive production & producer based genre. Many critics were opposed to the debauchery & some of the elitist nightclub policies . The market was also oversaturated & it peaked when Saturday Night fever was released. Rap & hip hop grew as disco declined.But a lot of disco songs were the foundation behind rap.

Many older groups & acts who were live performers had difficulty with disco as it was limited & expensive to re-create in a live environment. The high tempo & absent or repetitive lyrics did not suit everyone or they were uncomfortable with the other components. Record companies also tried to force artists with poor sales in that direction. Tina Turner , James Brown & many more careers suffered but some recovered in the eighties .

Nile Rodgers ( Chic ) was also a producer who had a lot of disco components in his acts like Diana Ross , Sister Sledge , Norma Jean , The distinct chic sound was also widely imitated So he & the imitators would lose more of their investment when it fell out of style. Nile Rodgers recovered when he produced Madonna , Debbie Harry , Duran Duran, David Bowie, & a rekindled interest in a really really really really rare obscure unknown song called Rappers delight.

Sampling uses recorded music to create new music. Samplers were initially very expensive & cost more than a house. But was widely used in Hip hop , drum & Bass , jungle & house. The older music became popular as hardware costs plummeted & many defrauded acts were rewarded with proceeds from sample clearances. But the desire for artists to form bands & play more instruments never kept pace.

Krs one - We in there ..
" Your whole gangsta image is not legit You heard Criminal Minded, and bit the whole s..."

Disco demolition Night Video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA

Public Enemys traitor & embarrasment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70fIgIvheo

--------------------

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Bottom line, as stated already, the same forces that exploited black people on plantations for their labor are the same folks that exploited their creative energy and struggles against oppression in entertainment. […]

Cosigned.

Another irony is that positive community movements in L.A. imploded and became extremely violent L.A. gangs, by the late 70's early 80's.

Yes. Unfortunately for all the esteem that black folks have for the Panthers and others, the fact is that rank and file black folks were largely not supporters of them or Malcolm. Their message was largely OUTSIDE the day to day interactions and gatherings of black people and black families across the country. The Afro and African dress became a fashion statement and not a serious mark of identity or organization towards a more independent and progressive black community. So it was easy to dilute, destroy and divert the message of those people, especially when most black folks view "success" as having a job and enough money to buy a house and/or car and take a vacation every so often. In other words, just keep your head down and don't make too much noise, except at the club.
Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
@Ish Can you please stop portraying black people as weak unresourceful uncreative victims to curve fit your inaccurate theories?

What inaccurate theories? [Big Grin] "Ish" what? I don't know you!!!

"Disco Demolition" never happened?

quote:
Many genres of music have a short shelf life but still exist or morph into new genres when new technology or techniques emerge.

So? The irony is that in many of these styles have been developed by the originators who tried new things out, this is how Jazz musician created Disco. House has a foundation in Disco not because they wanted to, but due to the lack of instruments. So they used tapes and cut them and attached parts of the disco songs back to back. Like with Hip Hop the break beat was used back to back.

quote:
Punk rock , Jazz fusion , Uk jazz funk , Uk garage ,Latin boogaloo , Progressive rock. Ska , Pyschadelic rock ,New wave ,Freestyle ,Lovers rock , Rare groove , Acid Jazz. Electro funk , Electro hip hop. Synthpop. Detroit go go ( Detroit go go musicians crafted instruments from Junk ) Grunge , Swingbeat , Hip house are declining or unfashionable genres.

This entire summary is irrelevant to the topic, since it has to do with music evolution. And Go Go originated in Washington D.C. with Chuck Brown. And one point in time Go Go and Hip Hop crossed paths.

quote:
Disco was different because it was an expensive production & producer based genre. Many critics were opposed to the debauchery & some of the elitist nightclub policies . The market was also oversaturated & it peaked when Saturday Night fever was released. Rap & hip hop grew as disco declined.But a lot of disco songs were the foundation behind rap.

Stop posting GARBAGE TO ME, okay.

July 12, 1979: 'The Night Disco Died' — Or Didn't

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/16/485873750/july-12-1979-the-night-disco-died-or-didnt

quote:
Rap & hip hop grew as disco declined.But a lot of disco songs were the foundation behind rap.

LOL When Hip Hop became somewhat known to the mainstream, Disco was already declining at the late 70's early 80's.

quote:
Many older groups & acts who were live performers had difficulty with disco as it was limited & expensive to re-create in a live environment. The high tempo & absent or repetitive lyrics did not suit everyone or they were uncomfortable with the other components. Record companies also tried to force artists with poor sales in that direction. Tina Turner , James Brown & many more careers suffered but some recovered in the eighties

LOL Why are you even mentioning Tina Turner, James Brown? These weren't the main Disco artist, they had a different style of music old R&B. There were dozens of bands making disco, funk …smh

A Taste of Honey, The Gap Band, Atlantic Starr, D Train etc

quote:
Nile Rodgers ( Chic ) was also a producer who had a lot of disco components in his acts like Diana Ross , Sister Sledge , Norma Jean , The distinct chic sound was also widely imitated So he & the imitators would lose more of their investment when it fell out of style. Nile Rodgers recovered when he produced Madonna , Debbie Harry , Duran Duran, David Bowie, & a rekindled interest in a really really really really rare obscure unknown song called Rappers delight.

Nile Rodgers himself explains that his disco was cross over type of disco for main artist who wanted to roll with the flow. It was nothing like the ruff stuff. He still is a great producer though.

quote:
Sampling uses recorded music to create new music. Samplers were initially very expensive & cost more than a house. But was widely used in Hip hop , drum & Bass , jungle & house. The older music became popular as hardware costs plummeted & many defrauded acts were rewarded with proceeds from sample clearances. But the desire for artists to form bands & play more instruments never kept pace.

Are you now going to explain to me what sampling is? lol

As a teen I use to "dig' in the Crates". And I know the price of samplers back then, we had one ourselves. [Big Grin]

quote:
But the desire for artists to form bands & play more instruments never kept pace.

There are many different reasons for this of course.

quote:

I have never looked at that show, I am not interested in those type of shows. And he is not a traitor and embarrassment, he is Flava Flav and does what he needs to do. This is the part you still done get. He represents a portion of the black community.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And in fact the idea that "black thugs" are going to out hustle and out con the folks that hustled black folks from Africa and stole everything from them is an absurd idea in the first place. Yet that is exactly how they introduced blaxpoitation and "thug culture" to the masses with "Sweet Sweetback Badass Song".

-
 -

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is a 1971 American independent action thriller film written, produced, scored, edited, directed by and starring Melvin Van Peebles.

Van Peebles began to develop the film after being offered a three-picture contract for Columbia Pictures. No studio would finance the film, so Van Peebles funded the film himself, shooting it independently over a period of 19 days, performing all of his own stunts and appearing in several sex scenes, reportedly unsimulated. He received a $50,000 loan from Bill Cosby to complete the project.

-

The musical score of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song was performed by Earth, Wind & Fire. Van Peebles did not have any money for traditional advertising methods, so he released the soundtrack album prior to the film's release in order to generate publicity. Initially, the film was screened only in two theaters in the United States. It went on to gross $4.1 million at the box office. Huey P. Newton celebrated and welcomed the film's revolutionary implications, and Sweetback became required viewing for members of the Black Panther Party. According to Variety, it demonstrated to Hollywood that films which portrayed "militant" blacks could be highly profitable, leading to the creation of the blaxploitation genre, although critic Roger Ebert did not consider this example of Van Peebles' work to be an exploitation film.
Lerone Bennett, executive editor of Ebony magazine, penned an article entitled "Emancipation Orgasm: Sweetback in Wonderland" that criticized the film for romanticizing ghetto life, for opening with the scene described as the "rape of a child by a 40-year-old prostitute" and for assuming that sexual prowess was synonymous with revolutionary actions. According to Bennett, "f—-ing will not set you free."

-

-
Shaft "the black private dick who's a sex machine to all the chicks."

Shaft is an 1971 American blaxploitation action-crime film directed by Gordon Parks and written by Ernest Tidyman and John D. F. Black. The film revolves around a private detective named John Shaft who is hired by a Harlem mobster to rescue his daughter from the Italian mobsters who kidnapped her.
Gordon Roger Alexander Buchanan Parks (November 30, 1912 – March 7, 2006) was an American photographer, musician, writer and film director, who became prominent in U.S. documentary photojournalism in the 1940s through 1970s—particularly in issues of civil rights, poverty and African-Americans—and in glamour photography.
As the first famous pioneer among black filmmakers, he was the first African American to produce and direct major motion pictures and creating the "blaxploitation" genre. He is best remembered for his iconic photos of poor Americans during the 1940s (taken for a federal government project), for his photographic essays for Life magazine, and as the director of the 1971 film Shaft. Parks also was an author, poet and composer

-

-

Super Fly is a 1972 blaxploitation crime drama film directed by Gordon Parks, Jr., the son of Gordon Parks who directed Shaft.
starring Ron O'Neal as Youngblood Priest, an African American cocaine dealer who is trying to quit the underworld drug business.

-
Superfly movie/ Snoop Dogg video

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
?^ SMH
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Robert Beck (born Robert Lee Maupin or Robert Moppins, Jr.;[1] August 4, 1918 – April 28, 1992), better known as Iceberg Slim, was an American pimp who subsequently became an influential author among a primarily African-American readership. Beck's novels were adapted into movies, and the imagery and tone of Beck's fiction have been acknowledged as an influence by several rap musicians, including Ice T , whose names are homages to Beck.

Slim attended Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama (it has been stated that he attended Tuskegee University at the same time as black author Ralph Ellison[4]), but having spent time in the "street culture", he soon began bootlegging and was expelled as a result. After his expulsion, his mother encouraged him to become a criminal lawyer so that he could make a legitimate living while continuing to work with the street people he was so fond of, but Maupin, seeing the pimps bringing women into his mother's beauty salon, was far more attracted to the model of money and control over women that pimping provided.

According to his memoir, Pimp, Slim started pimping at 18 and continued that pursuit until age 42. The book claimed that during his career, he had over 400 women, both black and white, working for him. He said he was known for his frosty temperament, and at 6'2" and 180 lbs, he was indeed slim, and he had a reputation for staying calm in sticky situations, thus earning the street name Iceberg Slim. When verbal instruction and psychological manipulation failed to keep his women in line, he beat them with wire hangers; in his autobiography he fully concedes he was a ruthless, vicious man.[5]

Slim had been involved with several other popular pimps, one of them Albert "Baby" Bell,[6] a man born in 1899 who had been pimping for decades and had a Duesenberg and a bejeweled pet ocelot.[6] Another pimp, who had gotten Slim hooked on heroin, went by the name of "Satin"[6] and was a major drug figure in Eastern America.[5]

Slim was noted for being able to effectively conceal his emotions throughout his pimping career, something he said he learned from Baby Bell: "A pimp has gotta know his whores, but not let them know him; he's gotta be god all the way."

In 1961, Maupin left prison after serving 10 months of solitary confinement, in a Cook County jail. He believed he was too old for the life of pimping, unable to compete with younger, more ruthless pimps. In an interview with the Washington Post, he said he retired, "because I was old. I did not want to be teased, tormented and brutalized by young whores."[4]

In 1961, Maupin moved to Los Angeles and changed his name to Robert Beck, taking the last name of the man his mother was married to at the time.[3] He met Betty Shue, who became his common-law wife and the mother of his three daughters, while he was working as an insecticide salesman. Betty encouraged Beck to write the story of his life as a novel, and they began sporadically writing some draft chapters. According to her, a white writer, whom Beck would later only refer to as "the Professor", became interested in writing Beck's life story, and Beck became convinced that the man was trying to steal their idea for himself, so they cut him out of the deal and finished it without him.[2][6][7] Bentley Morris of Holloway House recognized the merit of Pimp, and it was published in 1967.

Slim is an important influence on hip-hop artists. For example:

Rappers, such Ice-T, Iceberg Slimm, and Pittsburgh Slim, adopted their names in part from reading the author.
Many of the current musical references to pimp culture, for example in the work of Snoop Dogg and Too Short, can be traced back to Iceberg Slim.[citation needed]
Iceberg Slim's last book, Doom Fox (written in 1978 but not published until 1998), contains an introduction written by Ice-T.
Ice-T's third album, The Iceberg (1989) is another major homage.
Rapper Jay-Z has referred to himself as "Iceberg Slim" in his song "Who You Wit" (1997).
Rapper Pimp C often referred to himself as "Sweet Jones", the name given to Iceberg Slim's mentor Albert "Baby" Bell in his novel Pimp.

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
including Ice T and Ice Cube, whose names are homages to Beck.

Stop spreading lies.

How Ice Cube Got His Name | On The Record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQUAqmLOjY

Surviving on the Inside | Ice T | TEDxSingSing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AN5fPFtV0U

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I removed Ice Cube's name,
as if that is some big deal

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
I removed Ice Cube's name,
as if that is some big deal

Ice T was nurtured by LA gangster lifestyle. It would be interesting to look at how progressive social groups shifted into gangs, or how these gang related groups took over communities. I am sure you have some great Africana sources on that.

Ice Cube his name is still in this wiki article you blindly copy pasted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceberg_Slim

tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
Your arguing against strawmen. You originally claimed that soul funk & disco was boycotted.

Ish Gebor.

"Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

A few years later it revived with drum machines synths etc. Known as electro funk, house and in rap music "

Tific

Now your changing your position. You dont even realise that link contradicts you & Your just posting now to mask your errors & ignorance ..

So we have a topic where Ignorant people are posting about ignorant artists.

Ignorance & Racism wastes time so i'm out.
Here's the image links of Krs one & Ice cube magazines articles I previously mentioned. You can pm professor Griff.

The dancer was correct ?

http://imgur.com/a/ThAu7

quote:
quote:

What inaccurate theories? [Big Grin] "Ish" what? I don't know you!!!

"Disco Demolition" never happened?

quote:

So? The irony is that in many of these styles have been developed by the originators who tried new things out, this is how Jazz musician created Disco. House has a foundation in Disco not because they wanted to, but due to the lack of instruments. So they used tapes and cut them and attached parts of the disco songs back to back. Like with Hip Hop the break beat was used back to back.

quote:

This entire summary is irrelevant to the topic, since it has to do with music evolution. And Go Go originated in Washington D.C. with Chuck Brown. And one point in time Go Go and Hip Hop crossed paths.

quote:

Stop posting GARBAGE TO ME, okay.

July 12, 1979: 'The Night Disco Died' — Or Didn't

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/16/485873750/july-12-1979-the-night-disco-died-or-didnt

quote:
Rap & hip hop grew as disco declined.But a lot of disco songs were the foundation behind rap.

LOL When Hip Hop became somewhat known to the mainstream, Disco was already declining at the late 70's early 80's.

quote:
Many older groups & acts who were live performers had difficulty with disco as it was limited & expensive to re-create in a live environment. The high tempo & absent or repetitive lyrics did not suit everyone or they were uncomfortable with the other components. Record companies also tried to force artists with poor sales in that direction. Tina Turner , James Brown & many more careers suffered but some recovered in the eighties

LOL Why are you even mentioning Tina Turner, James Brown? These weren't the main Disco artist, they had a different style of music old R&B. There were dozens of bands making disco, funk …smh

A Taste of Honey, The Gap Band, Atlantic Starr, D Train etc

quote:

Nile Rodgers himself explains that his disco was cross over type of disco for main artist who wanted to roll with the flow. It was nothing like the ruff stuff. He still is a great producer though.

quote:

Are you now going to explain to me what sampling is? lol

As a teen I use to "dig' in the Crates". And I know the price of samplers back then, we had one ourselves. [Big Grin]

quote:
But the desire for artists to form bands & play more instruments never kept pace.

There are many different reasons for this of course.

quote:

I have never looked at that show, I am not interested in those type of shows. And he is not a traitor and embarrassment, he is Flava Flav and does what he needs to do. This is the part you still done get. He represents a portion of the black community.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

AUDIO

Woman Files Report Against Hip Hop Icons #starInthemorning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvD0xx6AUDY

X Clan Responds To Recent Allegations #starInthemorning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr0vWjnQ308

-

http://according2hiphop.com/allegations-of-sexual-assault-and-sexual-misconducted-have-been-aimed-towards-x-clan/

Allegations Of Sexual Assault And Sexual Misconducted Have Been Aimed Towards X-Clan
APRIL 27, 2017 by KIM MORANO

More disturbing allegations of sexual assault are being reported in relation to some of Hip-Hop’s most iconic figures and movements. This story comes from a Brooklyn woman named Patrice that is currently 41 years of age and lives in Texas. Star from “Star In The Morning” conducted a 19 minute interview with the alleged victim as she went into chilling detail about being raped by X-Clan members Brother J & Professor X at the age of 14. Patrice says that she had a relationship with Professor X (who is now deceased) from the age of 14-17. Patrice’s story starts with her being a fan of X-Clan’s music and wanting to be a part of the Black Righteous Movement. So the 14 year old sought out the X-Clan and was welcomed in with open arms by the women of the movement first then introduced to the men.

Patrice is a retired military disabled veteran that says she doesn’t want any money she just wants to see Brother J of the X-Clan behind bars for his actions. Patrice also alleges that Professor X got her addicted to cocaine at the age of 14 and used the method of drugging her to sexually share her with other male members of the movement. The alleged victim also noted that she never saw Professor X using any of the drugs that he gave her. Patrice had to get professional help for her drug addiction and professional help for the sexual abuse that she endured. We will keep you updated as this story unfolds.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Your arguing against strawmen. You originally claimed that soul funk & disco was boycotted.

Ish Gebor.

My "original claim"? I never diverted from that historical fact.

All these factors played part:

-"Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

-"The reason why live bands became a rarity was because of poverty in these communities. Most kids learned how to play instruments at school." And schools in urban areas were defunded!!!!

-"A few years later it revived with drum machines synths etc. Known as electro funk, house and in rap music"
. That was when it was a BLACK THING, in urban areas.

quote:
Now your changing your position. You dont even realise that link contradicts you & Your just posting now to mask your errors & ignorance ..

LOL Blabber mouth, look here nothing here in my posts contradicts, because it was a turbulent time for the black community. I can't help that you lack this understanding of Black American history. And are disconnected from black America.

http://bynikitasheth.com/hip-hop/

quote:
So we have a topic where Ignorant people are posting about ignorant artists.

So, yeah you're ignorant about black history in general, indeed.

quote:
Ignorance & Racism wastes time so i'm out.
Here's the image links of Krs one & Ice cube magazines articles I previously mentioned. You can pm professor Griff.

Ignorance & Racism wastes time? Nope it is REAL. And it has effect the black community!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSPtekubDec-MV7Payea3EA

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
The dancer was correct ?

http://imgur.com/a/ThAu7

-
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

[i]-"Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

so you have no evidence of this?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[i]-"Actually disco, soul, funk genres & groups were boycott in the late 70s.

so you have no evidence of this?
LOL At this clown. I already posted this. And this again shows that you major are a liar, so called original "b-girl". [Big Grin] And you are stunning people make fun of you, claiming that you are an African America female. But you don't know a damn thing about black Americans. I mean literally NOTHING, how the hell is that possible? [Big Grin]

You always allude to the most ridiculous nonsense. Any black person of age knows what happened during those days, so called "original b-girl".

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by tific:
[qb] The dancer was correct ?

pay attention:

highlighted portion. at bottom:
Ice cube: " when we were doing records public enemy wasnt out yet"

although Ice Cube was wrong

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

pay attention:

So what was the first record they did? [Big Grin]

Pay attention so called "original b-girl", Public Enemy was formed in 1982, along with a few other groups of that time. I am not going to mention those groups for spoiler alert. Originally Chuck D was not supposed to be the leading rapper, it was another person who's name I will not mention for yep again, spoiler alert.

I am sure you liked this release. [Roll Eyes]

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

pay attention:

So what was the first record they did? [Big Grin]

Public Enemy was formed in 1982, along with a few other groups of that time.

If I said Ice Cube was wrong why are you asking me this question ?
quote:
another rapper was supposed to take Chuck D's role. This individual later became the rapper for another group, in the early 90's. P.E. was found early 1982.

Who?

"Check Out the Radio" is 1984 and was not an official PE release.

-

^ this is Chuck D and Aaron Allen, Spectrum, no Flavor Flav
It's not Public Enemy

It doesn't matter when a group was formed it matters when they release music publicly
quote:

where did you already post proof of this?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

AUDIO

X Clan Responds To Recent Allegations #starInthemorning

I know of (inside) stories about groupies, I mean it's just horrendous what they are willing to do. It's not much different from rock groupies etc.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

You didn't have to address this, I knew it was wrong from the get go.

Unless you are posting under a pseudo name it becomes confusing.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I know of stories about groupies, I mean it's just horrendous what they are willing to do. It's not much different from rock groupies etc.

quote:

Patrice also alleges that Professor X got her addicted to cocaine at the age of 14 and used the method of drugging her to sexually share her with other male members of the movement.

New York statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under age under age 17.

So you think this should be changed to age 13?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You are the confused one. I posted Ice Cube was wrong and you still said " So what was the first record they did? "
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are the confused one. I posted Ice Cube was wrong and you still said " So what was the first record they did? "
Now I am the confusing one. lol

No, I know and understood what you wrote.

However, I am asking: "what was the first record NWA did?"

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
I know of stories about groupies, I mean it's just horrendous what they are willing to do. It's not much different from rock groupies etc.

quote:

Patrice also alleges that Professor X got her addicted to cocaine at the age of 14 and used the method of drugging her to sexually share her with other male members of the movement.

New York statutory rape law is violated when a person has consensual sexual intercourse with an individual under age under age 17.

No, of course I don't support these things. But it becomes difficult to bring physical evidence to the table after all these years. And that is very unfortunate.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

No, of course I don't support these things.
But if X Clan does it they are your heros so you call the 14 year old victim a groupie and then blame her
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

No, of course I don't support these things.
But if X Clan does it they are your heros so you call the 14 year old victim a groupie and then blame her
Perhaps I missed or skipped something, but which "heroes" of mine are you talking about? I can't recall saying any of that. [Roll Eyes]

What I said is that it is difficult to make a solid case with these allegations of which there is no longer evidence if there was any in the first place. The statutes of limitation hinders the process.

And I know that groupies are willing to do certain things people normally don't do, despite age limitation.

But I am listening to the Star show right now.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:

Retired military vet Patrice Griffin has now come forward to tell her story with regards to allegations against several members of the Iconic Hip Hop group X Clan.

X Clan (formerly stylized as XCLAN and often incorrectly spelled X-Clan) is a hip hop group from Brooklyn, New York, originally consisting of Grand Verbalizer Funkin' Lesson Brother J, Professor X the Overseer, Paradise the Architect, and Sugar Shaft the Rhythm Provider. The current incarnation of the group features leader Brother J, Master China, Kumu, "Ultraman" Ra Hanna, ACL, Lord Cza, DJ Fat Jack and Zulu.

STAR IN THE MORNING is the official return of Troi Torain aka STAR to morning radio. The ground-breaking, luminary who inspired generations of free-thinkers via his objective philosophy. Inducted into News Ones Top 20 greatest radio personalities of all time, STAR now re-enters the landscape with a new media model.

The new show is being produced by Lawrence “Shampoo” Coward AKA “King of All Blacks” from the Howard Stern Show. Coward whos been an on air personality for over 15 years via Stern was a central part of “Black Jeopary” multiple beauty contest and ultimately hosting his own show own Sirius XM “The Black on Black show”.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Ish Gebor:

Did it ever occur to you that, if it is true the horrendous thing is that these adult males raped a 14 year old girl and got her hooked on coke?

If something horrendous occurred it's what the adults did

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Did it ever occur to you that, if it is true the horrendous thing is that these adult males raped a 14 year old girl and got her hooked on coke?

If something horrendous occurred it's what the adults did

Yes, that is horrendous if it actually occurred. But there is no evidence that really happened, other than the words by the retired disabled military vet Patrice Griffin. That is what makes it complicated.

That is seen from a juridical point of view.

Jacob York co-singed these allegations, but even that is not solid. It is complicated. And this was before the X Clan Responds To Recent Allegations, 29 apr. 2017.

"Jacob York Co-Signs X Clan Accuser And More #starInthemorning", 10 may 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNVbJKKnKpA

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
It doesn't matter when a group was formed it matters when they release music publicly

Back to this dumb argument by you. P.E. came together as a group in 82. Some times it takes years to get on a level to officially release a record, certainly back then. This goes for a lot of artists. For example MC Shan, Ultra Magnetic MC's had demos ready in 1982, yet these songs were released only years later.

You are typically a person who doesn't know and understand how the music industry works. smh

Public Enemy - Public Enemy #1 (demo version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgYqwlLF-E

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

NWA was the response to Public Enemy.

No it wasn't a response to Public Enemy, that is bulls'
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

No it wasn't a response to Public Enemy, that is bulls'
Yes, it was. It was in the RightOn 87'-88'. Ever heard of that? lol

Lord Jamar also stated that NWA was the downfall for conscious rap. [Roll Eyes]

You likely don't understand the first solo release by Ice Cube.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Anyway, back to the Jay Z hysteria.

KRS ONE was ahead, 1992.

Boogie Down Productions - Drug Dealer

quote:

All over the world...

[Hook:]
Black drug dealer, you have to wise up
And organize your business so that we can rise up
If your gonna sell crack then don't be a fool
Organize your money and open up a school

[Verse One:]
Drug dealer, understand historical fact
Every race got ahead from sellin' drugs except Black
We are under attack, here comes another cold fact
In the '30s and '40s a drug dealer wasn't black
They were Jewish, Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. etc
Now in '90 their live's a lot better
They'll sell you a sweater, a pair of pants, cold-hearted
But first sellin drugs and killin' people is how they started
Drug dealer, black and Hispanic, stop killin' one another
Cause in the ghetto we're all brothers
Organized economically, understand the psychology
America is the drug monopoly
They own the block and kill your brother for
Therefore, we got the same enemy - what's more, I go on tour
But who do you think picks up the bill?
A hard working fireman? Chill!

[Repeat Hook 2X]

[Verse Two:]
Eighty percent of American business is created illegally
This is a fact, I don't ask you to believe in me
If you're really in the drug game to win it
Eventually you're gonna get shot, open a clinic
Again, if you're really in the drug game to win it
Invest in a prison, therefore you can be put in it
Everyone else did it now they chillin'
Above the law, while your under the law still killin'
One another, wake up my Hispanic brother, my African brother
America's not your mother
Or your father, so don't bother with right or wrong
Just check out the logic in the song
Organize, realize, become unhypnotized
To the lies that youre livin' for the get high
See many people have forgotten the fact
That America was never ever built for Black
So when some people are gonna run and buy crack
Take the money and put it back into Black
It's only logic, see KRS-One will rock it
With knowledge, education for the people I'll never stop it
Organize and legitimize your business
Remember, everybody else did this

[Repeat Hook 2X]

https://genius.com/Boogie-down-productions-drug-dealer-lyrics
tific
Banned
Member # 22768

Rate Member
This is a ultimate music search engine.It will show the exact release date & chart placings of any genre.

http://www.umdmusic.com/

Anyone can use it to confirm that soul funk & disco was not boycotted after July 12, 1979. Disco was on its way out as an oversaturated genre with social elements that people were uncomfortable with. Uptempo music is not disco but a lot of people didnt understand the nuances.Many radio stations were also segregated & Disco , soul ,funk artists were also sharing the same record label as non disco artists.

It would take a lot more effort than a public demolition to destroy a music genre..

Chic released a new album Risque on July 30th 1979

Tim dog was not a response to Snoop doggy dogg. He called out Dre & Dj quik on f... Compton & Step to me. Dr Dre didnt have the lyrical skills to respond to a member of Ultramagnetic mc's so he got Snoop doggy dogg to respond on Dre day.Tim dog responded with .. Bit.h with a perm & I dont give a f..k

Tim dog interview
https://imgur.com/PppGMJY

I forgot to mention that Sunnyview records ( Newcleus ) was owned by Morris Levy.

Roundup.

Nile Rodgers account of disco was inaccurate & unverified.
Nwa was not a response to Public Enemy
I posted links on Krs one & Ice cube

"All labels cheat on artist. That is what labels do" Is hyperbole

Your safe hiding behind genetic papers but failed the Turing test on popular culture.

Ignorance wastes time as confirmed.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

quote:

"I didn't know we were getting that kind of feedback in New York. New York always takes a long time to accept anybody who doesn't come form there. We try to pay not too much attention to New York....

When we were doing records Public Enemy wasn't out yet

-Ice Cube

-

So Ice Cube was lying?
He was actually listening to the song "Public enemy #1" on a Long Island radio station and he said " damn, we have to respond to this"
So that is how they came up with "Straight out of Compton" ?
So Easy E had been listening to Public Enemy and he wrote the song " Boyz-n-the-Hood" as a response to Public Enemy?

Was Ice T also responding to Public Enemy when he put out Rhyme Pays in 1987 or Power in 1988?

Did the record company tell them to make gangster music but they really wanted to make political rap ?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Anyway, back to the Jay Z hysteria.

KRS ONE was ahead, 1992.

Boogie Down Productions - Drug Dealer

quote:

All over the world...

[Hook:]
Black drug dealer, you have to wise up
And organize your business so that we can rise up
If your gonna sell crack then don't be a fool
Organize your money and open up a school

[Verse One:]
Drug dealer, understand historical fact
Every race got ahead from sellin' drugs except Black
We are under attack, here comes another cold fact
In the '30s and '40s a drug dealer wasn't black
They were Jewish, Italian, Irish, Polish, etc. etc
Now in '90 their live's a lot better
They'll sell you a sweater, a pair of pants, cold-hearted
But first sellin drugs and killin' people is how they started
Drug dealer, black and Hispanic, stop killin' one another
Cause in the ghetto we're all brothers
Organized economically, understand the psychology
America is the drug monopoly
They own the block and kill your brother for
Therefore, we got the same enemy - what's more, I go on tour
But who do you think picks up the bill?
A hard working fireman? Chill!

[Repeat Hook 2X]

[Verse Two:]
Eighty percent of American business is created illegally
This is a fact, I don't ask you to believe in me
If you're really in the drug game to win it
Eventually you're gonna get shot, open a clinic
Again, if you're really in the drug game to win it
Invest in a prison, therefore you can be put in it
Everyone else did it now they chillin'
Above the law, while your under the law still killin'
One another, wake up my Hispanic brother, my African brother
America's not your mother
Or your father, so don't bother with right or wrong
Just check out the logic in the song
Organize, realize, become unhypnotized
To the lies that youre livin' for the get high
See many people have forgotten the fact
That America was never ever built for Black
So when some people are gonna run and buy crack
Take the money and put it back into Black
It's only logic, see KRS-One will rock it
With knowledge, education for the people I'll never stop it
Organize and legitimize your business
Remember, everybody else did this

[Repeat Hook 2X]

https://genius.com/Boogie-down-productions-drug-dealer-lyrics
Great message here. He never says don't sell crack.

He says when your get money from crack sales open up a school.

--So what would they teach there "How to sell Drugs to Open a School 101" ?

By doing what? The message in this song does not come from an intellgent political program

Malcom X would have never said "Black drug dealer, you have to wise up and organize your business so that we can rise up"

He would have said shut down that crack business immediately and stop poisoning people

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Anyone can use it to confirm that soul funk & disco was not boycotted after July 12, 1979.

Yawn, it was boycotted. This however doesn't mean black artists stopped making these genres of music. DUH. lol SMH

What that boycott means is that it effected black artist mostly, financially. A lot of "white /black labels" were shut down because of this boycott.

quote:

Uptempo music is not disco

LOL SMH Disco is uptempo music derived from Jazz. [Big Grin]

It is Jazz, with "advanced" note-progression played on a faster tempo (BPM).

Early house had a similar tempo as Disco, as it slowly started to speedup, likely due to D&B, Jungle. The reason D&B, Jungle became speeded music was due to the uptempo east coast hip hop style of hat time. As Goldie explained, he went to NY to see family. This is where he got in contacted with this up tempo style, and decided to speed it up even more to 150 and up. This what he did when he retuned to the UK. By that time house became dominant in the UK. And the underground UK Southeast London scene was crazy. This was the time when house went from a moderate tempo to a faster BPM.

quote:

Many radio stations were also segregated & Disco , soul ,funk artists were also sharing the same record label as non disco artists.

Hmm, these genres were considered "black music", someone decided to call it urban music (I think this was somewhere in the late 90s). And black music didn't get overall airplay on commercial radio, with the exception of the "commercial black artist", like those you keep mentioning. [Big Grin]

I am speaking of groups like Slave, Shalamar, SOS Band, Lake Side, Zapp etc.

quote:
It would take a lot more effort than a public demolition to destroy a music genre..

It was successful after all, seen for a commercial side. Because Disco didn't get as much airplay after that.

Of course in the black community it kept going, since it is a black subculture and went trough many transformations, such as Electro Funk, new-"R&B", New Jack Swing.

The Gap Band transformation from early 1970 to …

Backbone-The Gap Band (1974)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81czkNpoIds

The Gap Band - Out Of The Blue (Can You Feel It) (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-msPNfpgHuM

Oops Upside Your Head - The Gap Band (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjFwcdQlN0

Gap Band - Burn Rubber On Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsXRWhfN3w

Gap Band - Talkin' Back (1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wueie3MXLmg

Gap Band - Jam The Motha (1983)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vb4hD4373w

The Gap Band - I Expect More (1983)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9dYZnRMnec

The Gap Band - Disrespect (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqED7wVuSk

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
[qb]

Anyone can use it to confirm that soul funk & disco was not boycotted after July 12, 1979.

Yawn, it was boycotted. This however doesn't mean black artists stopped making these genres of music. DUH. lol SMH

What that boycott means is that it effected black artist mostly, financially. A lot of "white /black labels" were shut down because of this boycott.

Name one disco label that was shut down due to a boycott, stop making up stuff

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ish Gebor:

LOL SMH Disco is uptempo music derived from Jazz. [Big Grin]

It is Jazz, with "advanced" note-progression played on a faster tempo (BPM).

You obviously don't know what disco is. It does not come out of jazz and it doesn't have advanced progressions. It has simplified grove-based progressions with less harmony than some other R & B and it comes out of soul and funk with strings like certain singles by the Intruders and Jerry Butler

Rock fans didn't like it because it was taking over the charts for a little while and they even had a big protest at a baseball stadium. They thought it was too simplified and commercial dance music for nightclubs made by studio musicians
That was true but I like some of it, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Fatback band, Love Unlimited Orchestra, the Bee Gees, MFSB, the Soul Train theme song

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com