EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Miss Jamaica revolutionized Miss Universe by wearing her natural Afro hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miss Jamaica revolutionized Miss Universe by wearing her natural Afro hair
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/68bc121a-59a8-397c-b5f6-604557928c1b/the-latest%3A-miss-universe.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

Mena: I think the beautiful, sexy, smart and conscious Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett revolutionized the international beauty pageant contest by wearing her natural beautiful Afro woolly hair that is call crown in the conscious community. In the heart and mind of the Black World Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett won the Miss Universe 2017 contest. Davina Bennet looks like a Diva wearing her natural crown.

The Jamaican people are a very conscious people and well educated in Afrocentric history. Jamaica has one of the first and best Afrocentric historian named J A Rogers who set up the foundation for modern Afrocentric historians. My congratulation to Miss Jamaica for representing the Black race very well.

Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters won the crown at this year’s Miss Universe pageant, and while the 22-year-old is being celebrated worldwide, there are many people who feel Miss Jamaica, Davina Bennett, really deserved the title.

Seeing women of color compete in pageants while rocking their natural hair is an empowering deviation from seeing the blown-out, straighter hairstyles contestants traditionally wear. Bennett, the second runner-up for Miss Universe, not only showed off her crowning Afro glory, but did so with grace, intelligence, and confidence — and people are beyond here for it.

-

One Twitter user shared, “Davina represented not only #Jamaica in the #MissUniverse but the black race. I wish she’s the one who should have won. She displayed her Afro with pride redefining the competition. Young black girls out there can feel confidence in their natural hair without whitening it.” The post has since gotten more than 1,000 hearts and more than 300 retweets, with one person going so far as to comment, “Miss Jamaica was robbed.”

Bennett glowed as she competed against 91 other contestants and steadily climbed her way to the top three. During the pageant, she was asked, “What quality in yourself are you most proud of and how will you apply that quality to your time as Miss Universe?” Bennett responded, “The quality I am most proud of is my drive, my determination. I am the founder of a foundation that spreads awareness for the deaf community, and this platform is such a great platform to just let persons know that these persons need opportunities and need equal opportunities and goals in our society. So Miss Universe competition will be the platform for me to use this foundation to spread awareness for all the deaf people around.”

After the competition, the 23-year-old took to Instagram to express gratitude for all the support she received. “I did not win but I got what I was seeking. I won the hearts of many, I got to highlight Deaf awareness, I stand as the first afro queen to have made it thus far, I represented my little island and I received allll the love one could possible wish for.”

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a strictly anthropological standpoint African is very interesting. African hair grows on only some 15-16% of the world'a population. East Asians(Chinese,Japanese, etc.), South Asians(Indians, Pakistanis, etc.) and Europeans(Germans, British, etc.) all have straight hair.

African hair is thus relatively unique among the the world's flora(yes, some trees do carry hair) and fauna. What was the mutation that caused this unique form of hair?

Even simians(monkeys, apes, etc.) tend to have straight hair, and the silky soft hair of the orangutan is noteworthy. African hair is not due to climate because there is no African animal that has evolved that kind of hair. Lions, wild dogs, impala, etc., all have straight hair.

It would seem that the genes that go to produce African hair affect all persons of African background--even in places that the West does not regard as "African territory" as in modern Egypt.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2015/07/20/untangling-egypts-beauty-standards/

http://blackincairo.blogspot.com.ng/2010/06/i-got-my-herr-did-at-egyptian-salon.html

Men with African hair solve the maintainance issue by shaving it all off or keeping it low. Females tend to wear wigs or just extensions.

For females, it's an aesthetic issue because very few shave it all off. The implicit assumption is that loose non-African hair is much more flexible and fashion friendly. Even Fijian females have succumbed for the loose styles.

So what is the solution?

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
African hair is not due to climate because there is no African animal that has evolved that kind of hair. Lions, wild dogs, impala, etc., all have straight hair.

Animals with a body covered by fur have limited ability to sweat, relying heavily on panting to increase evaporation of water across the moist surfaces of the lungs and the tongue and mouth. Mammals like cats, dogs and pigs, rely on panting or other means for thermal regulation and have sweat glands only in foot pads and snout. The sweat produced on pads of paws and on palms and soles mostly serves to increase friction and enhance grip.
Posts: 42933 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakepit1
Member # 21736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakepit1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
From a strictly anthropological standpoint African is very interesting. African hair grows on only some 15-16% of the world'a population. East Asians(Chinese,Japanese, etc.), South Asians(Indians, Pakistanis, etc.) and Europeans(Germans, British, etc.) all have straight hair.

African hair is thus relatively unique among the the world's flora(yes, some trees do carry hair) and fauna. What was the mutation that caused this unique form of hair?

Even simians(monkeys, apes, etc.) tend to have straight hair, and the silky soft hair of the orangutan is noteworthy. African hair is not due to climate because there is no African animal that has evolved that kind of hair. Lions, wild dogs, impala, etc., all have straight hair.

It would seem that the genes that go to produce African hair affect all persons of African background--even in places that the West does not regard as "African territory" as in modern Egypt.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2015/07/20/untangling-egypts-beauty-standards/

http://blackincairo.blogspot.com.ng/2010/06/i-got-my-herr-did-at-egyptian-salon.html

Men with African hair solve the maintainance issue by shaving it all off or keeping it low. Females tend to wear wigs or just extensions.

For females, it's an aesthetic issue because very few shave it all off. The implicit assumption is that loose non-African hair is much more flexible and fashion friendly. Even Fijian females have succumbed for the loose styles.

So what is the solution?

"Men with African hair solve the maintainance issue by shaving it all off or keeping it low. Females tend to wear wigs or just extensions."

I wouldn't say that's an accurate statement, if we're looking at it wholistically.

Posts: 117 | From: Earth | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Men with African hair solve the maintainance issue by shaving it all off or keeping it low. Females tend to wear wigs or just extensions."

I wouldn't say that's an accurate statement, if we're looking at it wholistically.

OK, if you factor in young girls who have their hair done in twisted traditional patterns and a minority of males who do dreadlocks, etc. In East Africa, the traditional "big Afro" still holds in some areas, but the general statement still holds.

Go back in historical time and you see that the upper class Ancient Egyptians shaved off their hair and wore wigs and extensions.

AE Wigs
https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+egyptian+wigs+images&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF6sCCjuPXAhWCZFAKHUPaCbIQ7AkITA&biw=1067&bih=491

AE Combs

https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient++egyptian+combs&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6wI6tjuPXAhXEKlAKHaB7BK0Q7AkIMw&biw=1067&bih=491

African women wearing wigs

https://www.google.com/search?q=african+women+wearing+wigs++images&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEzsG7j-PXAhWRZlAKHSaJAKsQ7AkIQw&biw=1067&bih=4 91

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/182618/miss-universe-winner-jamaica-robbed-twitter-reactions

Mena: It is very strange that Miss Jamaica with her Afro didnt win but a White woman representing the majority Black ex apartheid country of South Africa won Miss Universe 2017.

It is very revealing how brainwash the Black world is that African women, Haitian women and African American women were not the first to wears their natural Afro hair in a World beauty pageants contest but a Jamaican woman was the first.

Miss Universe & What It Means To Root For "Everybody Black"

On the red carpet at this year’s Emmys, Issa Rae made it very clear who she was rallying behind to take home awards. Talking to an interviewer at Variety, Rae hesitated for only a second before proclaiming “I’m rooting for everybody black.” The interviewer laughed, and Rae smiled back. It was exactly the kind of statement that I would expect from Rae. It was funny, not because she was kidding, but because she was real enough to say it in the first place. In the months since the award show, I’ve seen it on t-shirts, Instagram memes, and even a pair of DIY earrings for sale on Etsy. And even though non-black spectators picked up the story as a cheeky comment straight from the Insecure creator and actor — or tried to call reverse racism — those of us who know better realize that she was tapping into a very real sentiment shared by many Black people. In fact, the phenomenon of Black people wanting to see other Black people win might explain the outrage that many people felt during Sunday night’s Miss Universe pageant when Miss Jamaica, Davina Bennett, was second runner up to Miss South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, who is white.

Bennett did not look the part of your average pageant contestant. For starters, she proudly wore her hair in an afro for the contest. And this was not just any ‘fro. It was a perfectly shaped, evenly picked afro that would make Angela Davis — and Black Twitter — proud. She was articulate, graceful, and yes, beautiful. And Bennett’s answer to the final deciding question posed by Harvey — one about the quality she is most proud of and how she would use it if she was crowned — was particularly impassioned. “The quality I am most appreciative of is my drive, my determination. I am the founder of a foundation that spreads awareness for the deaf community, and this platform is such a great platform to just let [people] know that these persons need opportunities and equal opportunities like those in society. And so the Miss Universe competition will be the platform for me to use this foundation to spread awareness for all the deaf people around.”

It was an arguably better response than the one that Nel-Peters delivered, which was good, but broad and only a tad generic, even by pageant standards. I don’t mean to pit women against each other, but unfortunately, that’s kind of the point. Audible boos could be heard from the audience after Steve Harvey announced this year’s winner — he got it right this year — declaring Miss South Africa 2017’s Miss Universe. Twitter did not mince words about the decision.

Calling out the inherent racism in a pageant that judges women based on their looks, in addition to other things, is not at all far-fetched. Anti-Blackness has been an established component of beauty standards around the world. With her brown skin and big hair, Bennett certainly falls outside the realm of “traditional beauty:” a coded word designated for Blackness. With this in mind, it’s fair to say that Bennett had to overcome more to become first runner up, as is often the case with Black people in non-Black spaces.

This is why the practice of rooting for other Black people is important and resonated with so many when Rae named it. In the case of Miss Jamaica, Black people threw their weight behind one of their own because it's not often that other people will. Until the playing field for people of color is more level in institutions like Miss Universe, we will continue to root for everybody Black.

-
Miss Universe 2017 Demi Leigh Peters from South Africa

-
Miss South Africa 2017 is Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters

-
Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett

-
Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett

-
Miss Universe 2017 Second Runner up ” Davina Bennett - Miss Jamaica 2017

-
Miss Jamaica 2017

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com