EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Beni Hasan Tombs of the 12th Dynasty SLIDE SHOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beni Hasan Tombs of the 12th Dynasty SLIDE SHOW
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beni Hasan Tombs of the 12th Dynasty SLIDE SHOW

https://slideplayer.com/slide/17500145/

___(takes about 10 seconds to load)

Beni Hassan Visual Dictionary

https://benihassan.com/dictionary/

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"In the upper cemetery members of the elite class built striking tombs to represent their social and political positions as the rulers and officials of the Oryx Nome, which is the 16th Nome of Upper Egypt. At this site, the provincial high elite were buried in large and elaborately decorated tombs carved into the limestone cliffs near the provincial capital, located in the upper cemetery area. These tombs lie in a row on a north-south axis. There is a slight break in the natural rock terrace, on to which they open, that divides the thirty-nine high status tombs into two groups.[5]:25 The basic design of these elite tombs was an outer court and a rock-cut pillared room (sometimes referred to as the chapel) in which there was a shaft that led to the burial chamber."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_Hasan

Ta-Seti influence was spreading...

Tomb 2 – Amenemhat, known as Ameny, nomarch under Senusret I (accessible).
Tomb 3 – Khnumhotep II, notable for the depiction of caravans of Semitic traders (accessible).
Tomb 4 – Khnumhotep IV, nomarch during the late 12th Dynasty (closed).
Tomb 13 – Khnumhotep, royal scribe during the 12th Dynasty (closed).
Tomb 14 – Khnumhotep I, nomarch under Amenemhat I (closed).
Tomb 15 – Baqet III, notable for the depiction of wrestling techniques (accessible).
Tomb 17 – Khety, nomarch during the 11th Dynasty, son of Baqet; notable for depiction of what may be ball games (accessible).
Tomb 21 – Nakht, nomarch during the 12th Dynasty (closed).
Tomb 23 – Netjernakht, overseer of the Eastern Desert during the 12th dynasty (closed).
Tomb 27 – Ramushenti, nomarch during the 11th Dynasty (closed).
Tomb 29 – Baqet I, nomarch during the 11th Dynasty (closed).
Tomb 33 – Baqet II, nomarch during the 11th Dynasty (closed).

Interesting the influence of Khnum...

quote:
His cult was centered on the island of Abu (Elephantine) at Swentet (Aswan) where he had been worshiped since the Early Dynastic period. In the New Kingdom he was worshiped there as head of a triad with his wife Satet (a fertility goddess of the Nile and purifier of the dead) and daughter Anuket (a huntress goddess of the first cataract near Swentet, 'The Embracer'). There is a Greco-Roman temple for him at Iunyt (Esna) where he was given two consorts, Menhit (a lion headed war goddess, 'She Who Slaughters') and Nebtu (a local goddess of the oasis, 'The Guilded One') - one goddess became a form of the other - and a son called Hike (god of magic, 'He Who Activates the Ka'). He was also linked to the war-like creator goddess Neith at Iunyt (Esna). In Her-wer (Antinoe) he was thought to be the husband of Heqet, the frog goddess who gave the newly created being the breath of life before the child was placed to grow in the mother's womb.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/khnum.htm
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the words by Jesse Lee Peterson: "Amazing".

Tomb owner spearing fish, a detail from the tomb of Khnumhotep II at Beni Hassan

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com