EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » A revisit of MtDNA L in Europe - MALYARCHUK and CZARNY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A revisit of MtDNA L in Europe - MALYARCHUK and CZARNY
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A revisit of MtDNA L in Europe - MALYARCHUK and CZARNY

African DNA Lineages in the Mitochondrial Gene Pool of Europeans
September 2005Molecular Biology 39(5):703-709
DOI:10.1007/s11008-005-0085-x
Authors:
Boris Malyarchuk
Institute of Biological Problems of the North
Jakub Czarny
Institut of Forensic Genetics

Quote:

RESULTS AND DISCUSSION

Analysis of the diversity of mtDNA HVS1 nucleotide sequences showed that African mtDNA lineages
were present in different European populations both from southern Europe (the Portuguese, Italians (Sicilians
and Tuscans), Albanians, Spaniards, and Bosnians) and from northern Europe (the French, Swiss,
Germans, Poles, Russians, Norwegians, and Icelanders) (Table 2). The highest frequencies of mtDNA L
types (5.8%) were found in the Portuguese. Table 2 shows the nucleotide sequences of the African HVS1
variants found in Europeans. These types of mtDNA were represented by two groups; one of them comprised
mitochondrial lineages identical to those found in African populations
(i.e., they had already been
found in Africa), *****and the other one, the sequences homologous (not identical) to African lineages**** (Table 2).
Since mtDNA lineages identical to African lineages are likely to have appeared in Europe recently, the second
group of mtDNAs differing from African ones in some nucleotide substitutions is the most interesting.
As evident from Table 2, these mtDNA types are highly prevalent in European populations: about ****70%****
of mitochondrial lineages found in Europe are not identical to those found in Africa.
The origin of these
mtDNA lineages is still unclear and may be explained in two ways, depending on whether or not African
mtDNA lineages are presumed to have spread to Europe long ago and have evolved independently due
to mutation process. The existence of European variants of African mtDNA types may be explained by the
insufficient size of the African sample analyzed. Therefore, we may assume that European variants of
African mtDNA lineages are also present in African populations, but they have not been found in population
studies.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in other words 70% of the African lineage found in Europe, as far as norther Russia, are indigenous to Europe. WT…..

I missed the percentage when I first read this. This tells me most African lineage in Europe is NOT due to the so called modern slave trade.

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why would African DNA be best explained away as the results from slavery when Africa to Europe at its closes point being quite short?

I never understand how the ancestors of the Native Americans can traverse the whole of the Americas,which is as large as the whole of Asia in 15-10,000 years but African people couldn't make it to Europe or Arabia without slavery?

Heck,if not the numbers are right,Spain to Nigeria at its narrowest point is further than Liberia is to Natal Brazil.

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please add article title, date and URL to OP
Posts: 42954 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bastet1776
Member # 23466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet1776     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about those Denisovans? Some Native Americans have Denisovan DNA:

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/native-americans-lip-shape-gene-denisovans-09330.html

From the article above:

"
Native Americans Inherited Lip Shape Gene from Denisovans
"

Also, the highest concentration of Denisovan DNA is found in the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, and Australia

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/indigenous-people-philippines-denisovan-dna-genetics

The migrations and interbreeding of hominids seems like the new frontier in understanding what is to be human.

It'll be interesting to see how the definition of 'human' changes too. Especially given the high amount of Neanderthal DNA found in Europeans.

map of hominid genetic distribution:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f7ca655919318c35eb0778beee122a69

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Wrong thread. But supposed Denisovan genes in humans has been discussed many times over on different threads on this site. Do a search. All your questions have been answered. In short there never was admixture between humans and hominids like Neanderthals. All misleading lies. Humans and Neanderthals have the same ancestors which explains similarities in genetic makeup for both. Studies have been cited. And stop citing “news” articles. Read or cite actual research papers.
quote:
Originally posted by Bastet1776:
What about those Denisovans? Some Native Americans have Denisovan DNA:

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/native-americans-lip-shape-gene-denisovans-09330.html

From the article above:

"
Native Americans Inherited Lip Shape Gene from Denisovans
"

Also, the highest concentration of Denisovan DNA is found in the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, and Australia

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/indigenous-people-philippines-denisovan-dna-genetics

The migrations and interbreeding of hominids seems like the new frontier in understanding what is to be human.

It'll be interesting to see how the definition of 'human' changes too. Especially given the high amount of Neanderthal DNA found in Europeans.

map of hominid genetic distribution:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f7ca655919318c35eb0778beee122a69

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
A revisit of MtDNA L in Europe - MALYARCHUK and CZARNY

African DNA Lineages in the Mitochondrial Gene Pool of Europeans
September 2005Molecular Biology 39(5):703-709
DOI:10.1007/s11008-005-0085-x
Authors:
Boris Malyarchuk
Institute of Biological Problems of the North
Jakub Czarny
Institut of Forensic Genetics

Quote:

RESULTS AND DISCUSSION

Analysis of the diversity of mtDNA HVS1 nucleotide sequences showed that African mtDNA lineages
were present in different European populations both from southern Europe (the Portuguese, Italians (Sicilians
and Tuscans), Albanians, Spaniards, and Bosnians) and from northern Europe (the French, Swiss,
Germans, Poles, Russians, Norwegians, and Icelanders) (Table 2). The highest frequencies of mtDNA L
types (5.8%) were found in the Portuguese. Table 2 shows the nucleotide sequences of the African HVS1
variants found in Europeans. These types of mtDNA were represented by two groups; one of them comprised
mitochondrial lineages identical to those found in African populations
(i.e., they had already been
found in Africa), *****and the other one, the sequences homologous (not identical) to African lineages**** (Table 2).
Since mtDNA lineages identical to African lineages are likely to have appeared in Europe recently, the second
group of mtDNAs differing from African ones in some nucleotide substitutions is the most interesting.
As evident from Table 2, these mtDNA types are highly prevalent in European populations: about ****70%****
of mitochondrial lineages found in Europe are not identical to those found in Africa.
The origin of these
mtDNA lineages is still unclear and may be explained in two ways, depending on whether or not African
mtDNA lineages are presumed to have spread to Europe long ago and have evolved independently due
to mutation process. The existence of European variants of African mtDNA types may be explained by the
insufficient size of the African sample analyzed. Therefore, we may assume that European variants of
African mtDNA lineages are also present in African populations, but they have not been found in population
studies.

from the above article:

quote:

The highest frequencies of mtDNA L
types (5.8%) were found in the Portuguese

in Russian populations, the frequency of African mtDNA the frequency of African mtDNA
lineages in Russians is only 0.2%.

we found a few mtDNA types of the African haplogroups
L1b and L3b in the Tula and Kaluga regions

about 70%
of mitochondrial lineages found in Europe are not
identical to those found in Africa.

The origin of these
mtDNA lineages is still unclear and may be explained in two ways, depending on whether or not African mtDNA lineages are presumed to have spread to Europe long ago and have evolved independently due to mutation process. The existence of European variants of African mtDNA types may be explained by the
studies.

Russians had alleles that are characteristic of Europeans but are
extremely rare in Africans...

which indicates their European origin. Only two alleles
found in an L3b Russian subject (D2S1338*22 and
TPOX*7) were frequent in Africans but extremely rare
or absent in Russians. Apparently, these alleles are a
genetic trace of a past mixing of races. Thus, the
results indicate that the mtDNA lineages of African
origin found in Russians were not a recent African
admixture. In general, analysis of mtDNA variation in
Eurasian populations has demonstrated that, despite
long contact between European and African populations
(especially in southern Europe) and the possibility of
independent evolution of African mtDNA lineages in the European gene pool,
there are no monophyletic* clusters of African origin that could have
formed during a long mutation process in Europe.

* monophyletic
descended from a common evolutionary ancestor or ancestral group, especially one not shared with any other group.

Posts: 42954 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajhb.22601

Over the sands and far away: Interpreting an Iberian mitochondrial lineage with ancient Western African origins
Antonio F. Pardiñas,José Luis Martínez,Agustín Roca,Eva García-Vazquez,Belén López,
First published: 11 August 2014 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.22601

Results
The L3f variant found in Asturias seems to constitute an Iberian-specific haplogroup, distantly related to lineages in Northern Africa and with a deep ancestry in Western Africa. Coalescent algorithms estimate the minimum arrival time as 8,000 years ago, and a possible route through the Gibraltar Strait.

Conclusions
Results are concordant with a previously proposed Neolithic connection between Southern Europe and Western Africa, which might be key to the proper understanding of the ancient links between these two continents. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 26:777–783, 2014. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/African-Female-Heritage-in-Iberia%3A-A-Reassessment-Pereira-Cunha/0abfe5d0a6f1506a5c48ce14958a674e8ef6acdc

African Female Heritage in Iberia: A Reassessment of mtDNA
Lineage Distribution in Present Times

Pereira, Luisa.

Five hundred forty-nine unrelated individuals born in Portugal were analyzed, and DNA
Sub-Saharan African Influence. The mean frequency for the sequences
belonging to superhaplogroup L, typical for sub-Saharan populations, reaches
3.83% (0.59%) in Iberia, representing 40 sequences in the total sample of
1,045 individuals. The frequency is clearly higher (Figure 1) in Portugal (32
sequences in 549 individuals; 5.83%) than in Spain (8 out of 496; 1.61%) and
without parallel in the rest of Europe. Furthermore, in western Iberia, increasing
frequencies are observed for Galicia and northern Portugal (3.26% and 3.21%,
respectively—a value similar to the one found in the rest of Spain) through
the center (5.02%) and to the south (11.38%).
Furthermore, the geographic origin of these lineages is also heterogeneous.
Indeed, a high proportion (32.5%) is almost undoubtedly ascribable to the west
coast (L1b). The second most frequent group of L sequences in Iberia (L2a;
15.0%) is widespread in Africa (although also more diverse on the west coast
and potentially involved in the Bantu expansion to the south; Pereira et al. 2001).
However, a smaller proportion (10.0%; L3e) is attributable to the Bantu southern
migration (Bandelt et al. 2001), and one case found in Portugal (2.5%; L3e1a) is
typical of the southern east coast [one step away from the sequence 16185-16223-
26311-26327 observed as a unique instance in Mozambique (Pereira et al. 2001)
and in Kikuyu from Kenya (Watson et al. 1997)]. The same proportion (5%) is
observed for haplogroups L1c (widespread in low frequencies; see, e.g., Brehm
et al. 2002), L2b (common in Senegalese; Torroni et al. 2001b), and L3b (also
Bantu; Watson et al. 1997), but 11 sequences could not be assigned further than
paragroup L3*.

Bastet1776
Member # 23466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bastet1776     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to xyyman:

I wasn't aware that I couldn't link a news article that wasn't a 'white paper'; my apologies. In my humble defense it was my firs post (I joined the site the same day as I submitted the aforementioned post).

I was mentioning the Denisovans because a previous post mentioned 'native American' - 'African' genetics. My reasoning was that if the Denisovan marker was present in the Americas then it may imply a migration either to or fro.

It has been shown that 'African' populations show little to no Denisovan genetics and 'native American' populations do. It wasn't my intention to discuss Denisovan genetics per se; rather that Denisovan genetics may act as a marker to help track migrations of peoples.

I also mentioned that I am curious to see how both the scientific and popular definition of 'human' will change given that new branches of the hominin tree are discovered or newly defined.

For your consideration here is an article, that I hope is up to standard, regarding Denisovans and Neanderthals. Or maybe it is more palatable if I say 'so called' Denisovans and 'so called' Neanderthals.

'The genome of the offspring of a Neanderthal mother and a Denisovan father'

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0455-x

...and another regarding admixture between archaic hominins see the following.

'''
The complete sequencing of archaic and modern human genomes has revolutionized the study of human history and evolution. The application of paleogenomics has answered questions that were beyond the scope of archaeology alone—definitively proving admixture between archaic and modern humans. Despite the remarkable progress made in the study of archaic–modern human admixture, many outstanding questions remain. Here, we review some of these questions, which include how frequent archaic–modern human admixture was in history, to what degree drift and selection are responsible for the loss and retention of introgressed sequences in modern human genomes, and how surviving archaic sequences affect human phenotypes.
'''
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5978786/

Either way I feel my first post is germane to the conversation because it refers the distribution of genetics which implies the distribution of people.

Thank you for your advice. I will search this site. Hopefully a newbie such as myself will find a more friendly audience.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com