EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Light skinned ethiopians (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Light skinned ethiopians
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come some ethiopians are literally white skinned ? Because of their south arabian ancestors ? That would be really impressive after all those centuries.

Here some examples :

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second and third pictures are clearly mixed Ethiopians. Habeshas(Amharas, Tigrays, etc) can be very light skinned but not THAT light skinned. I did not see any Hebeshas that looked like the second and third anywhere in Addis Ababa when I went.

But yea their lighter skin complexion could be Southern Arabian ancestry but doesn't explain the more darker skinned Hebeshas who have just as much South Arabian ancestry.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're lighter than many South Arabians...like the Socotrans and Mehri, who have the highest concentration of J1

-

-

-

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/EDDE7G/yemenite-men-hadibu-island-of-socotra-yemen-EDDE7G.jpg

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
The second and third pictures are clearly mixed Ethiopians. Habeshas(Amharas, Tigrays, etc) can be very light skinned but not THAT light skinned. I did not see any Hebeshas that looked like the second and third anywhere in Addis Ababa when I went.

But yea their lighter skin complexion could be Southern Arabian ancestry but doesn't explain the more darker skinned Hebeshas who have just as much South Arabian ancestry.

No I made sure that those are fully ethiopian examples that's why I'm surprised.
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Socotrans (Compare and contrast them)...

-

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5104709ce4b016b6f933afdc/t/52a1cd64e4b07dc857dc5e46/1431200973119/PB260676.JPG?format=1500w

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/yemen-socotra-island-an-old-woman-works-her-familys-well-in-the-of-picture-id125219844

http://c7.alamy.com/comp/CNN5N7/two-local-men-close-up-of-heads-socotra-yemen-march-CNN5N7.jpg

-

-

This dude could pass as a Megrebi Berber..

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
quote:

No I made sure that those are fully ethiopian examples that's why I'm surprised.
Source? Because the second one is definitely not how a typical Afro-Asiatic speaking Ethiopian looks. lol. And I'm not even tryna hate. He barely even looks Southern Arabian to me.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
The first one yea is typical Hebesha phenotype.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
[QB] They're lighter than many South Arabians...like the Socotrans and Mehri, who have the highest concentration of J1

Most southern arabs aren't that dark and J1-M267 appeared in the region during Chalcolithic/Bronze age and came from around the caucasus-Zagros region.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
^^^^One of my mom's friends who was a doctor was from Ethiopia and she was that skin color, (of the first woman)...High Yellow, with long hair...she did'nt look "mixed" in the African American sense....Like I can't explain it.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

This dude could pass as a Megrebi Berber..

- [/QB]

No he doesn't look berber but more middle eastern
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
quote:

Source? Because the second one is definitely not how a typical Afro-Asiatic speaking Ethiopian looks. lol. And I'm not even tryna hate. He barely even looks Southern Arabian to me.
His name is kefelegn zelelew. He made some interviews/conference on the internet go check them.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

She would pass easily in Egypt that's for sure.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
True but most South Arabians are not that light either, in the case of the 2nd and 3rd...

quote:
quote:
[QB] They're lighter than many South Arabians...like the Socotrans and Mehri, who have the highest concentration of J1

Most southern arabs aren't that dark and J1-M267 appeared in the region during Chalcolithic/Bronze age and came from around the caucasus-Zagros region.

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
True but most South Arabians are not that light either, in the case of the 2nd and 3rd...

quote:
quote:

A good part of yemenites are as light as those examples and even those who do not exhibit this trait may still possess the alleles responsible for it. Therefore, it is possible that for those ethiopians it's due to a combination of sexual selection and endogamy ? Really intriguing...
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

This post sounds quite "Afrocentric" you know that right? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
His name is kefelegn zelelew. He made some interviews/conference on the internet go check them. [/QB]

Trying to find images or info on his parents, because that is not a typical Hebasha look bro. lol. Heck I may even ask my brother in law who is Ethiopian to what his origins are. At most his phenotype is an outlier. But... He seems to do a lot for Ethiopia.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
quote:

This post sounds quite "Afrocentric" you know that right? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
lol not really since that's just a random overlap and even dark skinned ethiopians are closer to NAs/MEs than west/central/south africans
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
His name is kefelegn zelelew. He made some interviews/conference on the internet go check them.

Trying to find images or info on his parents, because that is not a typical Hebasha look bro. lol. Heck I may even ask my brother in law who is Ethiopian to what his origins are. At most his phenotype is an outlier. But... He seems to do a lot for Ethiopia. [/QB]
Yes Ask some ethiopians if you can but I'm pretty sure he's fully ethiopian
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Socially it probably stems from a "preference" for light skinned women why some Ethiopian are light.

Genetically,I thought a mutation in the SLC24A5 that Habeshas acquired from Eurasians is why some Ethiopians are light,on top of a natural variation in African people.

kefelegn zelelew,his complexion looks weird,I wonder if he has vitiligo as he has that bleached skin look. He looks ethnic and non-ethnic at the same time.

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,I think kefelegn zelelew has vitiligo as just seen a clip of him on Twitter and he had a cow like patch of melanin around his ear.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Antalas:
lol not really since that's just a random overlap and even dark skinned ethiopians are closer to NAs/MEs than west/central/south africans

Do Ethiopians and other Horners not have partial SSA? lol. You're referring to their Eurasian side. More importantly Egyptians/Ancient Egyptians being related to Horners is an "Afrocentric" argument.
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Most Horny African are geographically SSA so I don't know what Antalas is talking about.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Antalas:

Do Ethiopians and other Horners not have partial SSA? lol. You're referring to their Eurasian side. More importantly Egyptians/Ancient Egyptians being related to Horners is an "Afrocentric" argument.
North africans are also part SSA and that's not afrocentric since I could have done the same with any other ethnicity that can sometimes overlap with us + most ethiopians do not look like her she seems to be predominantly eurasian probably above 50-60%
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those are clearly mixed and not fully Ethiopian, its trolling to suggest otherwise.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody knows what ancient South Arabians looked like, you can't use all of the modern populations as proxies for the ancients.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
Most Horny African are geographically SSA so I don't know what Antalas is talking about.

He he, that statement can be interpreted in different ways [Big Grin]

(Just a side note)

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB] How come some ethiopians are literally white skinned ? Because of their south arabian ancestors ? That would be really impressive after all those centuries.

Here some examples :

-

-
Kefelegn Zelelew

We're all human

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
North africans are also part SSA and that's not afrocentric since I could have done the same with any other ethnicity that can sometimes overlap with us + most ethiopians do not look like her she seems to be predominantly eurasian probably above 50-60% [/QB]

She looks like a very pale Habesha. You should visit Addis. Do you have other pictures of her? That way I can get a clear picture. She could easily be mistaken for a Dominican in Newark, NJ in my opinion.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
North africans are also part SSA and that's not afrocentric since I could have done the same with any other ethnicity that can sometimes overlap with us + most ethiopians do not look like her she seems to be predominantly eurasian probably above 50-60%

She looks like a very pale Habesha. You should visit Addis. Do you have other pictures of her? That way I can get a clear picture. She could easily be mistaken for a Dominican in Newark, NJ in my opinion. [/QB]
sure :

-
 -

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is Feven, born in Eritrea but now living in Sweden. She has made a name as a rap singer

-

--------------------

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
On average, Ethiopians are not that light, most are them dark, not Dinka dark, but have medium brown skin. I find it funny that Antalas tries to whitewash lower Nubians and Horners while getting angry at Afrocentrists who he thinks are trying to blackwash Berbers. A lot of the Horners that he thinks are 38-45% "Eurasian" are not these cherrypicked lightskinned Ethiopians he's trying to pass off in this topic, most of them are darkskinned people
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Aysha Abdul is a Canadian influencer with her roots in Ethiopia. Here she gets her result from a DNA test she done

WHERE AM I FROM?? | My Ancestry DNA Results!

She got a bit surprised

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhidaLOGrPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lsKKfSabtU

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Today one can not trust anyone on the net, some use makeup, others use filters so they will look younger, some bleach their skin, others go to a solarium to look more brown then they usually are.

Interesting though that she is 51% Middle East according to that DNA test, and 36% Africa southeastern Bantu and 13% other regions. And she was surprised that she according to the test had no Ethiopian.

Here is a video where she transforms from dark to relatively light through makeup. Like putting on a mask.

EVERYDAY MAKEUP ROUTINE 2018 | Flawless + Glowy Skin | Aysha Abdul

--------------------

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
Today one can not trust anyone on the net, some use makeup, others use filters so they will look younger, some bleach their skin, others go to a solarium to look more brown then they usually are.

Interesting though that she is 51% Middle East according to that DNA test, and 36% Africa southeastern Bantu and 13% other regions. And she was surprised that she according to the test had no Ethiopian.

Maybe she's adopted because Amharas definitely have no Bantu ancestry
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Here is a guy who is 99,7% Ethiopian and Eritrean. The woman is Sudanese with sprinkles of North African and South Asian

Hard to tell their natural skin color, one does not know how the lightning is, and if she wears makeup. But they talk about him being light skinned, without being mixed.

Africans Take a DNA Test (100% AFRICAN) | Amena and Elias

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-
Aysha Harun, youtube

I don't think it's a "trust" issue
The banner at the top of her youtube page shows her
brushing her makeup
Her made up face is not drastically lighter, it's slightly lighter and yellower

When you post the video I could tell she had heavy makeup on. She accents by color, for instance giving the illusion of higher cheekbones, a lot of this is just general makeup stuff women do

This is a new video, she has little or no makeup:

We're Going To Toronto!! | Ramadan With Family + Banana Pudding Recipe | Aysha Harun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHmsMECo3o

She has a second later video where she compare the aforementioned Ancestry DNA kit
to 23 and Me results, big difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsotKwjsTE

Where Am I REALLY From?! | 23andMe DNA Results + Ancestry DNA Comparison | Aysha Harun

"I come
from the tribe of headed for the city of
Keta and it's a very very small tribe
there's like I don't know less than
30,000 people that speak the language in
the world... I ended up
ordering from what's called 23andme
because a lot of people in my comments
actually recommended that I tried
23andme instead of Ancestry

it says that my ancestry
composition is 91.6% East Africa..

it says I am 92% sub-Saharan African so within that it says East African and under that it says

it actually does say 91.6%
Ethiopian and it says point there 0.2%
West African and 0.3% broadly
sub-saharan African so I'm not really
sure what sub-saharan African is but I
think that's around the same region the
0.2% West African...

It says I'm 6.9% Western Asian and
North African so North African and
Arabian is 5.6 %,
Western Asian is 0.2 percent and broadly Western Asian and North African is 1.1 %
So I'm guessing the 5.6%, I
guess I'm not really Middle Eastern at
all, the five point six percent North
African I would assume that is Egyptian..
and then it says
I'm .5% European

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
^^ Still changes her appearance, but it is not unusual, Seems many women (and some men) like that stuff.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
read the different DNA results I added to previous post
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
So he is 99,7% Ethiopian (the rest is Sudanese and North east Africa) and she is 51% Middle East

Interesting

-

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
read the different DNA results I added to previous post

Seems they are more close to each other with the new DNA test. It makes more sense.

One was Ancestry DNA, the other was 23andMe. Some difference

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
So he is 99,7% Ethiopian (the rest is Sudanese and North east Africa) and she is 51% Middle East

Interesting

I hope you are joking
Ancestry DNA said she (Aysha Harun) is 51% Middle Eastern
But
23and Me said she is 91.6% Ethiopian

Big difference as per testing company

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
^^ The guy in the other video I sent said he got 97% Ethiopian, while the first girl got first 51% Middle East with ancestry DNA and after that she got another result with 23andMe. When I wrote the comment calling it interesting I had not seen your addition about her new DNA test yet.

So I see now that they are much more close to each other with the new test.

One can wonder though if the two companies often get so different results.

--------------------

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
^^ The guy in the other video I sent said he got 97% Ethiopian, while the first girl got first 51% Middle East with ancestry DNA and after that she got another result with 23andMe. When I wrote the comment calling it interesting I had not seen your addition about her new DNA test yet.

So I see now that they are much more close to each other with the new test.

One can wonder though if the two companies often get so different results.

23andme used to be the same way when it first launched, Horners were getting results showing 90% European/Middle Eastern
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by Elijah The Tishbite:
On average, Ethiopians are not that light, most are them dark, not Dinka dark, but have medium brown skin. I find it funny that Antalas tries to whitewash lower Nubians and Horners while getting angry at Afrocentrists who he thinks are trying to blackwash Berbers. A lot of the Horners that he thinks are 38-45% "Eurasian" are not these cherrypicked lightskinned Ethiopians he's trying to pass off in this topic, most of them are darkskinned people

Who said on average they are that light ? I was simply trying to understand where it comes from. Are you triggered by this because they don't fit into your definition of "black" ?
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Who said on average they are that light ? I was simply trying to understand where it comes from. Are you triggered by this because they don't fit into your definition of "black" ?
Why would I be triggered? You're making no sense, no need to address that. Did you cherry pick those light skinned people to make the argument that Horners are not black simply because they have some Eurasian ancestry?
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Why would I be triggered? You're making no sense, no need to address that. Did you cherry pick those light skinned people to make the argument that Horners are not black simply because they have some Eurasian ancestry? [/QB]

Cherrypick ? I'm simply trying to understand how it's possible for people from dark-skinned groups in SSA to have such light skin.

As for Horners being "black", how can they be "black" if they are genetically, culturally, morphologically different from most SSAs. Like I said before, kinship should be based on genetics or culture, rather than just the amount of melanin in one's skin (that's an american thing).

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Why would I be triggered? You're making no sense, no need to address that. Did you cherry pick those light skinned people to make the argument that Horners are not black simply because they have some Eurasian ancestry?

Cherrypick ? I'm simply trying to understand how it's possible for people from dark-skinned groups in SSA to have such light skin.

As for Horners being "black", how can they be "black" if they are genetically, culturally, morphologically different from most SSAs. Like I said before, kinship should be based on genetics or culture, rather than just the amount of melanin in one's skin (that's an american thing). [/QB]

A Bantu is different from a Mandinka yet both are black, so your point? It was just as I suspected when you made this topic, there are different types of black, not just one type.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
A Bantu is different from a Mandinka yet both are black, so your point? It was just as I suspected when you made this topic, there are different types of black, not just one type. [/QB]

First of all, Mandenka and Bantu both belong to the same Niger-Congo family and secondly the genetic distance between these two populations is small in comparison to the distance that exist between them and Horners :

-

Look how far ethiopians are ...so no you can't put them under the same label as Mandenka or Bantu. Let's not even start with morphology.

In comparison that's how distant I'm to those ethiopians :

-

I'm almost two times closer to them so why do you call them black ? XD

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
So he is 99,7% Ethiopian (the rest is Sudanese and North east Africa)
Interesting

- [/QB]

I have a follow up which I posted in another thread because there is more genetics being discussed there.
There, is his autosomal test, as above 99.7

But they did another video on him, going over his
Y and MtDNA that has other implications

posted 24 April, 2023 04:16 PM
(low on page 1)
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010788
Skin color in the Horn (Egyptology forum)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com