EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » The Woman King ( New Movie Trailer ) Benin Dahomey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Woman King ( New Movie Trailer ) Benin Dahomey
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RDaPV_rJ1Y

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks cool!

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovecraft Country S1 E7 "I Am" @ 41:18-47:08
https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:GXx9qTAdEOsPCKAEAAABF:type:episode

The character Hippolyta, a mid-Jim Crow Era ADOS woman, gets portaled to a Fon volunteer King's Wives squad for training.
Just happens Hippolyta's the name of a Greek myth Amazon queen (perhaps explaining the end scene armour and lack of guns?).

-
Dahomey, Benin: Seh Dong Hong Beh, a leader of the Ahosi/Mino (aka the
Dahomey Amazons). Frederick Forbes (1851) Dahomey and the Dahomans.

Named after HP Lovecraft of Cthuhlu etc. occult mythos fame, Lovecraft Country episodes move kinda slow. So it needed more than one season. Excellent soliloquy/dialog moments throughout the season. Like the very telling one ending the Josephine Baker segment.

- Misha Green is a writer and executive producer.

- Shannon Houston is a writer and producer.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Woman King - Trailer 2 (HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkPBPhuFx-4

THE WOMAN KING Vignette - Revered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pboZrnPTY

THE WOMAN KING Vignette - Train Like a Warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mu74OixF8k

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red, White, and Blue + Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally remembered my login name. Will wait for DVD.
Posts: 1115 | From: GOD Bless the USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie a few days ago and had a good time with it. It does cast the Dahomeans as the protagonists against other Africans (and their European collaborators) seeking to enslave them, but it does call out Dahomey's own dependence on the slave trade on more than one occasion as well. I understand why the idea of lionizing the Dahomean Agojie might rub people the wrong way, but it isn't like the movie turns a total blind eye to that facet of Dahomean history.

Unfortunately, most conflicts between West African states during that time period would not have been simple "good guys versus bad guys" stories since they were almost all trying to acquire enslaved people for European "customers". Even some of the people who got enslaved probably participated in slave raids themselves before ending up on the receiving end. History has a way of being messy and complicated like that.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com