EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Mansion of the Gods » Egyptian Religious Influences on the Early Hebrews intro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Religious Influences on the Early Hebrews intro
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something newer than the old standbys been posted
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001868;#000030
quote:

Edward H. Sugden
Israel's debt to Egypt (link)
London: The Epworth Press, 1928

W.O.E Oesterley
The Wisdom of Egypt & the Old Testament
In the Light of the Newly Discovered 'Teaching of Amen-Em-Ope
(link)
London/New York; Toronto: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge; Macmillan, 1927.

T. Eric Peet
Egypt and the Old Testament (link)
Boston: Small, Maynard & Co., 1923

over and again over the years and by a theologian,
James Hoffmeier of Trinity International University,
not simply apologetic of the religious sect of their faith.

=-=-=-=

Forty years ago, Ronald J. Williams wrote his seminal article “‘A People Come Out of Egypt’: An Egyptologist Looks at the Old Testament.”
Tak-ing his title from the words of Balak, king of Moab, at the approach of the Israelites into the Transjordan (Num 22:5, 11), Williams quite passionately and persuasively argued that when it comes to study and interpretation of the Hebrew Bible Egyptological data need to be considered. They were, however, and still are often overlooked by biblical scholars who lack train-ing in Egyptian history, culture, and language. As Williams reminds us, “Is-rael was always conscious of her ties with Egypt, and the traditions of her sojourn there were indelibly impressed on her religious literature.”
After citing numerous examples of Egyptian influence on Hebrew language and institutions in Israel, Williams concluded his essay by declaring: “Due cau-tion must always be observed in assessing claims of direct influence, but the evidence is overwhelming that Israel drank deeply at the wells of Egypt. In a very real sense the Hebrews were ‘a people come out of Egypt’ (Num 22:5, 11).”
I stand in the academic tradition of Professor Williams, my esteemed Doktorvater, who was an Egyptologist who had expertise in Old Testament studies and Semitic languages, and I concur with his sentiment, which is reflected in my own research over nearly four decades.
It is my conten-tion that, due to the Hebrew sojourn in the Nile Valley, certain Egyptian elements, linguistic, cultural, social, and religious “were indelibly impressed on her religious literature.” With this assumption in mind, I want to inves-tigate Egyptian elements of Israelite religion, focusing on the Levites, the significant number of Egyptian names among the exodus-wilderness gen-erations, and terms associated with priestly regalia. Last, I will examine the Korah rebellion narrative in Num 16 which may shed some light on Israelite religion during the sojourn in Egypt. Prior to this, however, let us consider some theoretical matters.
  • ]
  • Sociological Factors
  • Two Case Studies of Egyptianization
  • Egyptian Elements in Israelite Religion
  • Egyptian Personal Names
  • Egyptian Personal Names
  • Egyptian Theophoric Names among the Non-Levites in the Exodus Generation
  • The Korah Rebellion Narrative
  • Egyptian Terms Associated with Priestly Regalia

Conclusion

The sociological data regarding the ways in which a minority group of immigrants is influenced by the religion of its host country are consistent with what the biblical data indicate happened to the Hebrews in Egypt. If the Hyksos and the Semitic-speaking immigrants who preceded them to Egypt’s Delta in time adapted to Egyptian culture and became transna-tional, as reflected in employing Egyptian names, Egyptian administrative offices, and priestly titles and in associating with Egyptian deities, it should not be surprising for the Hebrews to have had a similar experience with Egyptian culture and religion.

The materials offered in this essay along with the arguments made cer-tainly buttress Ronald Williams’s affirmation that “Israel was always con-scious of her ties with Egypt, and the traditions of her sojourn there were
indelibly impressed on her religious literature.”
I therefore maintain that the evidence and proposals presented here are best understood as reflecting the fact that, indeed, the Israelites were “a people come out of Egypt.”

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOC coming up

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gunning for contemporary infos on this topic.
Guess I'm hunting in Florida for penguins lol.

Don't really wanna sling the same ol hash here
but last week looking for a crown/snood I ran
into one the last 4x8 sidewalk table vendors of
ethnocentric Africana, you know, that stuff more
suited to ethnic parochial schooling than the GP.

Though like 50% of his books are free online
I had to support a man still devoted to 20th C
Each-One-Teach-One entreprenaurship --the guy
sold only books. I dunno how he lives .

I mean my late70s/early80s table had a good selection of
what The 3rd Eye brick&mortar offered; books, pamphlets,
'in-scents', body oils, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, imported
African wood carvings, Big Bambu, imported Haitian 'naive'
art, etc., including the three titles in the opening post (w/o
GK Osei RIP reprints I'd probably never have owned them).

Re-upped on HCs of three Doc Ben works. One now with
a completely unnecessary introduction by JH Clarke RIP,
Our Black Seminarians & Black Clergy without a Black Theology.

The two others, The Myth of Genesis and Exodus ..., and
The Need for a Black Bible, I never saw the need to own.

-

Introduced to Ben by a Dominique-an New Yorker in 74/75
I found him filling up my belly with the meal started
by JA Rogers' religion appendix in Sex&Race I. Can't
remember when I came across JG Jackson ManGod&Civilization
which filled in the religion matter abridged in his Intro2AfrCivs.

When she opened her copy of Africa: Mother ..., the images
hinged my skullcap wide open like them old flip top
lighters blowing my mind and the ether carried it away!

-  -

Unfortunately BlackClassicPress shrunk Ben's quarto size
books down to octavo making the images, none of which they
ever bothered to 'remaster' hard AF to make out. Anyway, may
make a thread devoted exclusively to Yosef ben Jochannan
(a"h) insights on Egyptian influences on Israel theology
I say Israel because Moab who worshipped Chemosh using
extermination themes no different than in TN" K were just
as Hebrew as Israel.

In another thread, still have @ least TOC promises to keep here.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com