EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » How Much.!!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Much.!!!!!!!!
David1965
Member # 1136

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for David1965     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to work out roughly how much spending money a family of Three (2 Adults, 1 Child) would need for a 14 day stay in Luxor visiting all the usual Tourist sights and eating out every night. We will be staying at the Luxor Hilton on a b&b basis. I am just looking for a average cost in EGP£. Thanks to all replies.
Posts: 25 | From: Glasgow,Scotland,UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Donya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Having been to Luxor often, it all depends on what you want. I personaly never eat in the hotels, I find them a little expensive. There are plenty of coffee shops and Bistros available. There is one on Television St, average cost for a meal for two adults is about 18le, they serve Pizza and fries and traditional food, and its all great. Nescafe about 2le, canned drinks are a little more, but mainly very very cheap and all cooked fresh. Tru the Tahina it is wonderful, its a dip they serve with fresh bread, I normally eat that much I never need a main course..lol.....

I have been to Luxor with only £50 spending money, (like to travel on a budget) and still come home with money.. Taxi's are on average 5le in the daytime around Luxor, I pay 10le after midnight. Calesh (horse and carridge rides) you can have fun bartering over, I have never normally paid more than 5-8le for one person, depends on your haggling skills.

Trips to the West Bank, usually take a motor boat across the nile for about 5le each, get our own taxi and hire him for the day, cost us about 50-70le for everywhere we wanted the guy to take us, they wait for you as well and we always paid him when we had finished our day, never at the beginning. (never had any complaints doing it that way). Entrances to temples and Tombs if I can remember are about 12le each, Such as Nefertari or Tut's cost extra, but the prices are displayed at the ticket office, you need to go there fist to pick up your tickets. I also suggest taking your own bottled water, buy on east bank before you go, anything betwee1-2le per bottle, (Baraka) is a known brand.

Shopping - well I always say if your happy with waht you paid, there is no problem, and the fun is in the haggling. Although did have a friend who went recently and paid 50le for 4 melons!!!!...that was about £6.50 english, he was robbed, you wouldn't pay that in Uk, another tip is if there prepared to let you walk away from buying something then you know you have gone in with too low a price, but, it gives you an idea on what to haggle at the next stall!..
Gold and silver is weighed by the gram, I dont know what the price per gram is you will ahve to ask.

I went in January this year and May, have to wait till next January for my next trip!!...

Not o finish your holiday before you have started but another useful tip is buy drinks and snacks to take to the airport before you go, they rob you blind as your a captive audience!!!, but if your wanting to get rid of your egyptian money then fair enough.

Anything else you would like to know, please mail me, or ask here.

I hope I have been of some use to you, these prices are just a guideline, hope you have a fantastic holiday...

Luv Donya

Posts: 213 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donya's advise was really good. The only thing that I want to add is that 2 weeks in Luxor is WAAAAYYYY too long to plan to stay just there. It's a great place and has lots to see, but unless mom, dad and kid are enthusiastic Egyptologists, Luxor will get real boring after one week, I bet.

You'll want extra money to take trips outside of Luxor. Your Luxor hotel will have excursions offered to Abu Simbal (that is a one day trip-NOT cheap, but worthwhile), Hurghada - on the Red Sea and probably your best bet with the kids, and even to Cairo to see the pyramids and the museum.

Whatever figure you've come up with to date, I'd double it just to make sure you have the resources to keep everyone busy for two weeks. The execption to this would be if the child is small enough to not care at all about seeing things, and is happy at a hotel swimming pool and mom and dad can enjoy that too. Truthfully, you will see all Luxor has to offer in less than a week, so the rest of the time can be spent at the pool if you want a tan.

If a hot air balloon ride is of interest to you, let me know. I have a British friend down in Luxor with a balloon company. I might be able to get you a deal on the ride. It's pretty spectacular. I did it once in February.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comte de Monte-Cristo
Member # 1331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comte de Monte-Cristo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Debbie, are ballon rides still authorized in egypt??? I heard that it is now forbidden along with model planes!!! just for update... keep well

Posts: 87 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David1965
Member # 1136

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David1965     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was planning to take about £100GBP per day (£1400GBP total).Would you say this is enough to travel as well as sightsee. Yes if it is not illegal a Hot air balloon trip would be excellent Thanks. Please send more details.
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Donya's advise was really good. The only thing that I want to add is that 2 weeks in Luxor is WAAAAYYYY too long to plan to stay just there. It's a great place and has lots to see, but unless mom, dad and kid are enthusiastic Egyptologists, Luxor will get real boring after one week, I bet.

You'll want extra money to take trips outside of Luxor. Your Luxor hotel will have excursions offered to Abu Simbal (that is a one day trip-NOT cheap, but worthwhile), Hurghada - on the Red Sea and probably your best bet with the kids, and even to Cairo to see the pyramids and the museum.

Whatever figure you've come up with to date, I'd double it just to make sure you have the resources to keep everyone busy for two weeks. The execption to this would be if the child is small enough to not care at all about seeing things, and is happy at a hotel swimming pool and mom and dad can enjoy that too. Truthfully, you will see all Luxor has to offer in less than a week, so the rest of the time can be spent at the pool if you want a tan.

If a hot air balloon ride is of interest to you, let me know. I have a British friend down in Luxor with a balloon company. I might be able to get you a deal on the ride. It's pretty spectacular. I did it once in February.

Posts: 25 | From: Glasgow,Scotland,UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. £100GBP per day, is more than enough, like Debbie says, you can fly up to Cairo or go on overnight train!, you can actually hop on a cruise boat for the day and sail up to Dendra, that would be nice, your reps and hotel staff can inform you on how to do that.

May I ask how old your child is?....
Hey, Debbie, Im next going in January, can you give me a little more info on the balloon rides, thats something I have always wanted to do....I last heard it was about £100GBP each.is that correct... I know its alot of money (well to me) but hey how often can you float over the west bank at dawn!!!!...

We took a train ride to Aswan for a few days, we paid about 18le each, you can book into hotels in Aswan, they are not expensive, or get your hotel to ring in advance. ( We srayed in one called 'Queens' it was 60le per night for b&b, very clean, close to station and very friendly). We did have to show our passports, so remember to take yours with you if you venture out of Luxor. There is plenty to see in Aswan and seams to be a little cheaper than Luxor!!!.lol...

I have friends in all areas in Luxor, so if you need a Faluka ride, restaurant, or anything, let me know.

(sorry, dont want to sound like Im selling services as Im not!).just trying to be helpful

have fun...........Donya....

Posts: 213 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyohe interested in the hot air balloons, leave me your email address here and I'll pass them on to my buddy in Luxor to send you info on it.

I'm sure they are legal. They are big business.

Keep in mind that God is the one in control of the winds on any given day. Some days you get to go over the west bank, some days you go over the Nile and visit the other side. It's always a good trip though.

Donya is right about the cruise boats. They should cost about $45-$50 (or less if you shop around some) per person per day and less for the child. That will be full board. Your only expenses beyond that would be tips, drinks and special expenditures for photos and such.

I am curious though.... is the Hilton expense supposed to come out of this 100 Brit. Pounds? I don't know what they are charging you, but you could run a little short after paying for more meals, siteseeing and trinkets to take home. If I were you, if you can afford it, I'd up it a little bit just to be very comfortable about the money and if you can take some home, that will be a good thing.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David1965
Member # 1136

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David1965     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100GBP is for excursions, sightseeing and evening meals only. Hotel expense has already been taken care of. Thanks.
quote:
Everyohe interested in the hot air balloons, leave me your email address here and I'll pass them on to my buddy in Luxor to send you info on it.

I'm sure they are legal. They are big business.

Keep in mind that God is the one in control of the winds on any given day. Some days you get to go over the west bank, some days you go over the Nile and visit the other side. It's always a good trip though.

Donya is right about the cruise boats. They should cost about $45-$50 (or less if you shop around some) per person per day and less for the child. That will be full board. Your only expenses beyond that would be tips, drinks and special expenditures for photos and such.

I am curious though.... is the Hilton expense supposed to come out of this 100 Brit. Pounds? I don't know what they are charging you, but you could run a little short after paying for more meals, siteseeing and trinkets to take home. If I were you, if you can afford it, I'd up it a little bit just to be very comfortable about the money and if you can take some home, that will be a good thing.

David1965
Member # 1136

Rate Member
My son is 9. Would be interested in finding a reliable cab driver in Luxor who could point us in the right direction without being to greedy. We dont mind paying for the best as long as that is what we get. Would be looking for him to arrange transport and excursions for us, aswell as to point out some good Egyptian resturants and shops. We would rather pay him some extra £ than give to a tour operator for the same service. So if you can help as you say, we would be interested in hearing more from you..Thanks. (we will also be looking to take alot of photographs while there, particularly at the tombs and of local life, do you know of anyone who would accompany us and take care of the money side of this).
quote:
Originally posted by Donya:
Wow. £100GBP per day, is more than enough, like Debbie says, you can fly up to Cairo or go on overnight train!, you can actually hop on a cruise boat for the day and sail up to Dendra, that would be nice, your reps and hotel staff can inform you on how to do that.

May I ask how old your child is?....
Hey, Debbie, Im next going in January, can you give me a little more info on the balloon rides, thats something I have always wanted to do....I last heard it was about £100GBP each.is that correct... I know its alot of money (well to me) but hey how often can you float over the west bank at dawn!!!!...

We took a train ride to Aswan for a few days, we paid about 18le each, you can book into hotels in Aswan, they are not expensive, or get your hotel to ring in advance. ( We srayed in one called 'Queens' it was 60le per night for b&b, very clean, close to station and very friendly). We did have to show our passports, so remember to take yours with you if you venture out of Luxor. There is plenty to see in Aswan and seams to be a little cheaper than Luxor!!!.lol...

I have friends in all areas in Luxor, so if you need a Faluka ride, restaurant, or anything, let me know.

(sorry, dont want to sound like Im selling services as Im not!).just trying to be helpful

have fun...........Donya....

skiqueen
Member # 1296

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiqueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited Luxor with my son in June - he was 8 yrs old - almost 9 ( July)

He really enjoyed it - we stayed at the Novotel. We did Luxor/Karnak Temples, Denderah and Valley of the Kings/Queens.We also visited the mumification museum ( not that good - only 1 room )

The Novotel has a cruise boat that does a really good day trip to Denderah and also does a good Saturday evening cruise with Dinner and entertainment. You can book this at the Novotel reception. Food is excellent on there.

We did the sound and light show at Karnak ourselves - we got a Caleche down there - eating at a restaurant on the way - Caleche cost LE40 and he waited for us. You have to barter hard though.Make sure you take lots of water with you. The Caleche driver let my son sit on the front and hold the reins - this he really enjoyed.

There's a good English restaurant we went to called 7 days seven ways and they do a good Sunday lunch if you're missing English cooking. This is down towards the Sheriton Hotel.

The Italian at the Sheriton is good and there are two pelicans and some flamingos - we arrived at feeding time and my son was able to feed the pelicans so this made his day !

At nine - your son will enjoy it but may get a bit 'templed out'!

There's a McDonalds by Luxor temple if you need some fast food. It has 3 floors and does give a good view of the temple from the 3rd floor.

Hope you have a good time - we did !

Posts: 6 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiqueen
Member # 1296

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiqueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited Luxor with my son in June - he was 8 yrs old - almost 9 ( July)

He really enjoyed it - we stayed at the Novotel. We did Luxor/Karnak Temples, Denderah and Valley of the Kings/Queens.We also visited the mumification museum ( not that good - only 1 room )

The Novotel has a cruise boat that does a really good day trip to Denderah and also does a good Saturday evening cruise with Dinner and entertainment. You can book this at the Novotel reception. Food is excellent on there.

We did the sound and light show at Karnak ourselves - we got a Caleche down there - eating at a restaurant on the way - Caleche cost LE40 and he waited for us. You have to barter hard though.Make sure you take lots of water with you. The Caleche driver let my son sit on the front and hold the reins - this he really enjoyed.

There's a good English restaurant we went to called 7 days seven ways and they do a good Sunday lunch if you're missing English cooking. This is down towards the Sheriton Hotel.

The Italian at the Sheriton is good and there are two pelicans and some flamingos - we arrived at feeding time and my son was able to feed the pelicans so this made his day !

At nine - your son will enjoy it but may get a bit 'templed out'!

There's a McDonalds by Luxor temple if you need some fast food. It has 3 floors and does give a good view of the temple from the 3rd floor.

Hope you have a good time - we did !

Posts: 6 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Comte de Monte-Cristo:
Hello,
Debbie, are ballon rides still authorized in egypt??? I heard that it is now forbidden along with model planes!!! just for update... keep well

Comte

Would love to discuss this topic with you, as my husband is an avid modeller and distraught over the latest rulings!!

Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie, my mail address is Twinkle139@hotmail.com.....
Thanks very much, I look forward to receiving any info on the balloons.....

Hi David, If you want o mail me I can give you a number of a good friend who can arrange taxi's for you. I know your probably nervous about details given over the net, but I assure you, Im honest and just being helpful...

When you are visiting the temple and tombs, they may be charges for taking pictures inside some tombs but its only a little and it is worth it!!!!!!!

take Care...Donya

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Donya, The email process has been set into motion. Hopefully you will hear about Hot Air Balloon rides soon.

David, I highly recommend a taxi driver named Moustafa for your trip. He is a jewel and he hasn't failed me yet. If you would like to reserve his time for your trip, email me directly at Dds71@aol.com and I'll get the particulars about your trip and make the reservation for you.
Like Donya, I'm not making money off of this. I'm just trying to help a family man in Luxor make a buck and help you get a good taxi driver in the bargain. If interested, let me know before 5 October or after 25 October...as I'll be out of town between those dates.

Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
Thanks Debbie....look forward to receiving info.......

David, have a fantastic holiday, you and your family...........

PS...Dont forget to let us all know how it went!

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
David,

What happened to you? I understand you and Moustafa never connected. He said he was at the hotel 3 times leaving messages for you and you never returned his calls.

Did you make it to Luxor? Maybe you could have emailed me and let me know that you weren't interested or something happened and your trip was cancelled. We all went through some effort to set this up (although perhaps you consider it minimal effort) and it is always disappointing when someone doesn't follow through on their part.
If it was a money issue (Moustaffa thinks a hotel driver or employee must have made you a deal that was less money than we discussed), I wish you would have at least talked to Moustaffa to let him know his services weren't needed.

Sorry the connection didn't work out.

David1965
Member # 1136

Rate Member
quote:
David,

What happened to you? I understand you and Moustafa never connected. He said he was at the hotel 3 times leaving messages for you and you never returned his calls.

Did you make it to Luxor? Maybe you could have emailed me and let me know that you weren't interested or something happened and your trip was cancelled. We all went through some effort to set this up (although perhaps you consider it minimal effort) and it is always disappointing when someone doesn't follow through on their part.
If it was a money issue (Moustaffa thinks a hotel driver or employee must have made you a deal that was less money than we discussed), I wish you would have at least talked to Moustaffa to let him know his services weren't needed.

Sorry the connection didn't work out.

Debbie, I received one message left at hotel from Moustafa with phone number, but when I called on 3 occasions the person did not speak good English and did not know of a Moustafa. i had forgot to take his number with me that you had gave me, so we hoped that he would contact the hotel again. So either the hotel never informed us of him making other contact or he had only contacted the once.? anyway really sorry about this, as we are not the type of people to ask for info and not at least say no thanks. We feel really bad about this, and feel we have let you and Moustafa down, but hope you understand that we did try to contact on the number we were left...

Donya
Member # 448

Rate Member
So David?...did you have a fantastic time in Luxor? where did you go and what did you see?....Did you love it or hate it?

let us all know....... Donya

PS...Debbie, still not heard anything on the hotair balloons?...must be on egyptian time in getting back to me...lol.....
malesh

Cheers Donya

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Thanks for responding David. I appreciate the message and will relay it on to Moustafa. Hope you had a good time in Luxor.

I too am curious to hear how you ended up spending TWO whole weeks in Luxor. Did you leave a couple times and see any other towns?

highwaychick
Member # 5635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for highwaychick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi my partner and i are going to egypt in november we are doing a cruise down the nile for a week and then staying in luxor for another and would like to do a balloon ride if u have any info then it would be very much appreicated

------------------

Posts: 2 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by highwaychick:
hi my partner and i are going to egypt in november we are doing a cruise down the nile for a week and then staying in luxor for another and would like to do a balloon ride if u have any info then it would be very much appreicated

There are several companies that do this and you want to compare prices AND INSURANCE COVER some of them are really cheap but the insurance is minimal. When you get to Luxor I can help you or anyone at your hotel can.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbie:
[B]Donya's advise was really good. The only thing that I want to add is that 2 weeks in Luxor is WAAAAYYYY too long to plan to stay just there. It's a great place and has lots to see, but unless mom, dad and kid are enthusiastic Egyptologists, Luxor will get real boring after one week, I bet.

Luxor boring ??????? Never. Maybee boring people visit Luxor. but Luxor is never boring.

[This message has been edited by philand teresa (edited 17 October 2004).]

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Luxor boring ??????? Never. Maybee boring people visit Luxor. but Luxor is never boring.

With a small kid tagging along, believe me, a week will be plenty!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by timbuctoo:
[QUOTE]Luxor boring ??????? Never. Maybee boring people visit Luxor. but Luxor is never boring.

With a small kid tagging along, believe me, a week will be plenty!
[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly!

egyptiansue
Member # 5608

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for egyptiansue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I think the advice you have been given so far is great. However, I think you will easily be able to fill up 2 weeks in Luxor. I have a husband and three children, all teenagers now, but when we first went to Luxor my son was 11 and just loved the place so much that we keep going back. Always for 2 weeks. We have always stayed at the Hilton too. It is a good hotel. There is a sign by the doorway that tells you how much to pay for taxis, take notice of it. It says 10LE (egyptian pounds) into town and that is a fair price but as soon as you speak to a taxi driver he will say it is wrong, it isn't so just tell him you will get another taxi as that is what you paid yesterday. Caleche drivers will drive you mad, and tell you the market is closed and you are going the wrong way. They are fibbing, so be firm unless you want a ride. My son loves haggling so much now that he is an expert! The egyptians love children and will make a fuss of him so he'll be in heaven. We swore we would avoid McDonalds but there are some days when you need something familiar and it is much cheaper than the UK too and cooked to order. You will have a great time, we are all coming to Luxor in December for a fortnight and can't wait.

Posts: 13 | From: Gosport, Hants, UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary0927
Member # 5702

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary0927     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family is also trying to customise a 21 day holliday to Egypt, we have 2 pre-teen chaps, and Luxor and Cairo are a given, but we're trying to decide whether to choose Alexandria or Hurghada. The boys would enjoy the beach for a winter break. But I hear that Alexandria is too windy in the winter, and Hurghada is not very child friendly, does anyone know differently?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com