EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Renting at Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Renting at Cairo
moonyloony
Member # 3508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonyloony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! thanks for the forum, very useful indeed.
I visit Cairo often and am looking for a nice area to rent a one/two bed room apt. on a month to month basis. I need advice regarding where would be a safe area for a female forigner and what to expect in terms of rentals. If you can guide me to sites that can help me find "home" in Cairo I will be very thankful:-)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ML-

I've got a couple of questions for you before being able to offer much advice.

What is the purpose of your visit? Tourism? Work? Study?

How long will you stay? You say you want a month to month lease, but you will pay significantly more if you come like that without at least a 6 month stay and willing to sign a 6 month lease. Is 6 months really too long? Short term rentals can be as much as 2 or 3 times the rent...and if 6 months were probably the amount you are thinking to stay anyway, it might be worth it to sign the 6 month lease to keep the rent down and if you only stay 3 months and had to pay for the additional 3, you'd loose nothing... See my point? They prefer one year leases to really give you "long term" status, but you might be able to pull it off with 6 months.

For a start, I'll say that probably areas like Mohandiseen, Dokki, Garden City and Zamalek are your best bets for location. Another area that has lots of foreigners in it (if that is what you want) is Maadi, but that in general is overpriced, or there is Heliopolis, which has fewer foreigners, but is a safe decent neighborhood. Both of these are a bit out of the way though if your reason for being here is purely tourism.

Edar is probably the most widely used realestate company on line here. try edar.com or go to google and type in edar and see if you find it.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was able to negotiate a 3 month lease before, but i had to fib and say that was how my work contract was written -- i was here for a trial period -- and while i hoped everything worked out, i just couldn't commit to 6 month or 1 year and then either find out that i can't adapt to cairo or the job doesn't work out, etc. also played up the whole "i'm a girl away from my family for the first time for so long, my parents miss me and don't want me to live so far away...i don't know if they'll allow me to stay in egypt.

sounds kind of funny to say that a grown woman needs her family's permission, but if you're single and under 30 then the landlord will completely understand this.

we parted with the landlord on good terms and they said they were really sorry to let me go bcs they loved having girls as tenants (girls are neater, they claimed)

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 06 February 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricardo
Member # 3386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
email me..i can help u
rainloverus@yahoo.com

Posts: 16 | From: egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abdur-Rahman
Member # 3662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abdur-Rahman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salaams,
I am new to the forum. This is a very busy forum.
I am also very interested in moving to Egypt by June or July from the US.
Mainly, to study Arabic and Quran. Can any one just give me an idea on the
rentals. The cost per month, what are the average rental properties like,
etc.
If I move there, I would probably stay 2 to 3 years.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com