EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Lonely Planet Guides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lonely Planet Guides
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have just been reading "Current Tourism" Thread started by William Jackson. In it Debbie touches on the subject of the Lonely Planet Guide Books obsession with getting everything on the cheap. We totaly agree with her. The one common factor in all the Lonely Planet Guides we have used is that they tell you to pay your entry fee to a place of interest, then stand close to an organised group and listen to their Guide. So if everyone took the advice, there would be no guides with groups, just people wandering aimlessly hoping to leech information. No good for the Tourist, they would learn nothing and no good for the Guides, they would all be unemployed. Clearly not a good situation.
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loriglenn
Member # 3413

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for loriglenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi PhilandTeresa:

We have the Lonely Planet Guide and have seen the same thing as well. I totally agree with you. I think it's just fine to be as economical as one can, but to be downright stingy is just not right. As you pointed out, peoples' livlihoods are affected by that.

Posts: 18 | From: Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bulldog
Member # 2721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bulldog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lonely Planet is obsessed with everything on a shoestring, But unfortunatly there are dis-advantages going on the very cheap.
I wouldn't normally go by bus, but by train or taxi, Nor do I stay in hostels or one/two star hotels I want an injoyable holiday not a backpackers nightmare.
The Lonely Planets choice of Accomadation or food, Might be alright for the very fit or the odd army commando but not for me.
For the fist timer I recommend that you go in a group or package holiday.

Posts: 176 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said on another thread when you bargain down the taxi driver from 15Le to 10Le how much do you think he can afford to pay on the maintenance of his vehicle. Would you prefer to go in a taxi that had its brake fluid topped up occassionaly.

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com