EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » "HELP" !!!!!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "HELP" !!!!!!!!!!!
LesLei
Member # 3454

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for LesLei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am off to Hurghada on Friday 20th Feb and friends have been telling me that I should be taking Malaria Tablets. Is this true and do I need any jabs? Please Help
Posts: 6 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sallyally
Member # 3426

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sallyally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in Egypt for three years and never, ever was told by my doctor (in Canada) to take malaria tablets. I only knew of a few expats that were taking or had taken malaria tablets. Perhaps ask your family doctor?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rola
Member # 3114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should only take maleria tablets if you are going to stay by the nile, in say upper egypt.
Hurghada you will be fine, you just need yellow fever vacination to be on the safe side, once given it lasts for 10 years.
Dont of course ever try to drink any water other than bottled in Egypt, not even ice.
Have nice time in Hurghada.

Posts: 11 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need Yellow Fever shots for Egypt.
You don't need Malaria Pills for Egypt.
But for both of the above, do ask your doctor. S/he should have the final word.
And don't get too too too paranoid about the ice. The ice will only contain small bits of any of the bacterias that are common in the tap water here and I will argue that it is better to get a bit of that in your system than to exclude it all together if you are going to be in Egypt for more than a week. What ever you swallow in the water isn't going to kill you....as they say, That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rola:
you should only take maleria tablets if you are going to stay by the nile, in say upper egypt.
Hurghada you will be fine, you just need yellow fever vacination to be on the safe side, once given it lasts for 10 years.
Dont of course ever try to drink any water other than bottled in Egypt, not even ice.
Have nice time in Hurghada.

I live in Upper Egpyt with my 12 year old daughter and have never taken malaria tablets it is not a malaria area

Haven't got Yellow fever vac

Drink the local water all the time

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aischa
Member # 2661

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for aischa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi leslei,
believe me, it is not necessary to use Resorchin (malaria tablets) od an yellow fever vacination.
If you are only staying in hurghada - you need it in no way!
There is only one place in egypt, where they found sometimes (depend on the whether) malaria mosquitos - this is oasis El Fayoum -but only sometimes.
To drink the water - yes is different. But I cook my tea with it and use also in the kitchen for cooking spaghetti or a.w. and I never was ill.
Egypt is a wonderful country with very nice and friendly people. If you have time, go to luxor and some other places to see more.....
I wish you a very nice time in hurghada and take care of the boys........they only want to have money, sex or a visa, what ever they are talking about.......
from aischa with love
quote:
Originally posted by LesLei:
I am off to Hurghada on Friday 20th Feb and friends have been telling me that I should be taking Malaria Tablets. Is this true and do I need any jabs? Please Help

Posts: 143 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i spent 2 weeks in luxor last feb and took nothing what so ever ( my doctor said just use common sense ie use bottled water. stayed at novotel right next to nile . never felt fitter in my live !!! going again in 8 days and cant wait !!!!!!!!
relax and enjoy your holiday

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rola
Member # 3114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well 6 years ago it was written in the foriegn offices travel health guide to have a yellow fever shot, after checking seems its no longer needed.
however maleria tablets are...
MALARIA PRECAUTIONS
Malaria precautions are essential in El Faiyum area (50 miles south of Cairo on west bank of Nile) from June to October. Risk is minimal in other areas and tourist resorts. (Go to Malaria Map). Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net.

Posts: 11 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard about malaria in Egypt, or anyone who got the disease, especially tourists.
But generally, if there are no side effects ... go ahead and good luck

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at Novotel in November 2002 and it was the first time I had ever been bitten by insects so badly AND the first time I hadn't been taking Avloclor malaria tablets.
I had sickness and diarrohea too and it ruined my birthday.

I'm a regular visitor to Egypt and brush teeth and wash my face in bottled water, take all usual precautions regarding properly cooked food etc ... use high factor sunscreen and insect repellant.

Personally, I put that bad trip down to me not taking the Avloclor, I know you guys may disagree but I cannot think of anything else.
I keep a diary on holiday and do write down what I'm doing, what I eat and where. This happened on 2nd day of holiday.

It hasn't put me off and I have returned a few times since and been in good health.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osama
Member # 3854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahaha
i live in egypt for 22 years now "all my life"
and never heared about a someone infected with malaria
thanks

Posts: 38 | From: Alexandria,Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChilliSnail
Member # 3757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChilliSnail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malaria tablets for Hurghada ? Mish Munkin !

Although I must admit on my first visit here I was over-paranoid about malaria. My doctor said I didn't need to take the pills, but imagine my horror on the first night staying at the Mena House, just about to step out onto the balcony to enjoy the view and there was a mosquito buzzing around out there. Never saw me move so fast, ran back inside and slammed the door behind me.

Malaria is not a problem in Egypt except for El Fayoum. Anti-malarial tablets should also be taken 2 weeks prior to travel to ensure adequate coverage. As for vaccinations you should have before traveling here, the ones I can remember are: ADT [Adult diptheria tetanus], typhoid, polio and hepatitis A.

The list of 'danger' food and drink is long. Avoid salads, any thin skinned fruit, ice, water, food and juices sold on the street etc. You can be as careful as you like about the food and water situation, but remember to also wash your hands and it is a good idea to carry some of those moist towelettes. I have heard some people call Egyptian money 'toilet paper' and believe me it is.

Another thing which is not well known is that a lot of cases of 'mummy tummy' are started during your flight. Airlines are always trying to cut costs and two of the ways of doing this is by not emptying and sanatizing their water tanks, the other cost cutting method is to fill those Evian bottles with that same stagnant, filthy water. Never drink any water on a plane, take your own.

If you are visiting Hurghada, bring bug repellent with you, it will be needed. Just need to find out where to buy the microbus dirver/tourist tout repellent !

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com