EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Visiting Cairo for 1st time - tourist tips?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visiting Cairo for 1st time - tourist tips?
ScottishMan
Member # 3712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottishMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I'll be visiting Egypt for the first time in mid-March, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm attending a conference in Cairo, but will have a couple of days free for sightseeing.

How would you spend these two free days if you were visiting Cairo for the first time? What are the must-see's or must-do's? Any advice, tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanke

Dougal

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a good guide book and read it

you see only you know what you like so we all might have recommendations but we dont know your tastes.

then come back and ask us about the things you are interested in

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dougal, good Scottish name you've got there!
I don't think you can go to Cairo and not go to the pyramids, the Citadel and Khan el Khalili....those would be my choices if you only have a couple of days.
Hope you enjoy it!

Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is your conference and do you know which hotel you're booked into? (are you staying at sheraton heliopolis - near airport or somewhere downtown cairo) i can make suggestions based on where you are...or suggest where to switch to for more convenient location.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottishMan
Member # 3712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottishMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that feedback!

I'll get myself a guide-book today. I guess the images I have in my mind are... the Pyramids, the Sphinx, and taking a boat-trip on the Nile. If I could experience those things during my stay, I'll go home happy! I'll be staying in Central Cairo (I suppose... hotel is called Semiramis Inter-Continental) so hopefully not too far from the sights.

Thanks again for the feedback

Dougal

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lonely planet or rough guide are both good ones. Detailed and through with lots of suggestions

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top 5 are:
1/ pyramids/sphinx
2/ cairo museum
3/ coptic cairo
4/ khan el khalili
5/ islamic cairo

1 & 2 are typically done in one day on a tour package. the museum will be a 5 minute walk from your hotel. the pyramids will be apx. 45-60 minutes (wt traffic). Go to the museum in the morning and after you purchase your ticket (kiosk is on outside grounds of the museum) look a bit confused. You will be swarmed by the freelancing egyptologists who can offer their services for a museum tour. Take it. You will need this because there is simply too much in the museum and an egyptologist will give you a good 1-2 hr tour of the most important pieces (then if you're not overloaded, you can simply stay longer to look at the other pieces on your own). Also there are NO labels like in a typical museum, telling you what you're looking at.

Most tours tend to go to the pyramds in the afternoon after the museum visit (you will get museum overload so don't schedule 2 museums in 1 day).

Up to you if you want to reverse the order, but they do it mostly bcs the pyramids are empty - all the stuff is in the museum..hence the order.

If you still have some energy left after your first day, then you can venture out to the Khan. It's basically a big bazaar but it's still fun the first time you go just to sit and watch the crowds. However, I suggest you go one evening during your conference. It will be anywhere btw. 10-30 min from your hotel, depending on traffic. If you take a taxi directly at the hotel -- agree on the price beforehand as they charge up to 10x as much as regular taxis. But if you want an english speaking driver and get somewhere on your own the first time feeling comfortable...it's worth it. Do not tip. Often the drivers try to get more as a tip pointing out how bad the traffic is. They know the busy periods already and are adjusting their price accordingly.

Coming back anywhere to the hotel..just hail one on the street (the beat up black/white fiats - you can't miss them), peep inside (front passenger window is permanently rolled down, you'll notice, in all taxis) tell him "Semiramis Hotel?" If he nods, get in the back. When you arrive, exit, hand him the amount via open passenger window and walk away. For a trip from Khan, anywhere btw 10-17 pounds ($2-3) is a good "expat/foreigner" price. From pyramids, anywhere btw. 30-40 pounds. It depends on how heavy the traffic is...if you're not sure, give more. It helps if you don't let the taxi driver know it's your first time. Also, ask the staff at the hotel, how much for STREET taxi. Specify, as the hotel staff usually gives the prices for the ones right outside, which are more.

If you're interested in seeing Coptic Cairo, the easiest way to get there is by the metro, which is a 5 minute walk from your hotel. But you do need to ask the hotel staff the station name because it's not "coptic cairo". Also make sure you notice what station you're on when you enter, for your return journey. Alternatively, it's about 15-30 minutes by taxi (again depending on traffic).

For 'islamic cairo' -- there are 2 main mosques and the 'cidatel' complex, but there are much more interesting mosques like "ibn tulun" which get overlooked. I strongly suggest hiring a guide for 1/2 a day because it really enriches the experience in a way that you can't get from a guidebook (I tried both ways). Either book a guide via your hotel (thomas cook is always good- and you can get a guide without a car-the car/driver are the very expensive part- just meet him at your hotel lobby and then get a taxi together, for which you'll pay. tip the guides, by the way.) Or contact Debbie on this board. She's not an egyptologist, but for islamic cairo, you don't really need to be...you just have to know about the places.

The boat trip you're thinking of...well, there's 2-3 days cruises on the Nile but those start off in Luxor which is 1 hr by plane or 9 hrs by train.

Easier is to take a felluca ride on the Nile in front of your hotel. Best place is to walk along the corniche (name for street facing any body of water)-- exit yr hotel in front of the nile, turn left toward the big tall hotel called the Hyatt (formerly Meridien) and walk about 5-10 minutes. Before the Hyatt, you'll notice bunch of boats - there are steps next to a flower nursery - take these down to the boats. Most speak english. You can take 1/2 hr or 1 hr rides, you can bring your own drinks/food. I suggest you and colleagues from the conference get some take-away dinner and have it on the Nile this way. I'm not sure what the current prices are. Plus I typically go with Egyptians so the prices they get charged would be lower. Best to check with the hotel staff.

Hope this has helped. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 02 March 2004).]

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 02 March 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet Willie
Member # 3873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Willie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScottishMan,

What sights did you end up seeing?

to others,

any other feedback on Cairo sights?

Posts: 7 | From: Des Plaines, IL, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osama
Member # 3854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahah
he is too busy man to give such a feedback for cairo
leave him interessting his trip
wish you a good trip
./osama

Posts: 38 | From: Alexandria,Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe scottishman is still stuck in traffic in Cairo?
Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, my screen froze for 30 mins and then came alive and it re-posted.

[This message has been edited by wise_woman (edited 27 March 2004).]

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScottishMan, visit my site www.youregypt.com

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com