EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » ISLAM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ISLAM
verio
Member # 3815

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for verio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALL,

What do you think the major barriers for Muslim to understand Islam? And behave like a real Muslim.

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the only thing is that human still didn't know how small is he compared to god, and that he is a SLAVE, and i mean only a slave for god.
what do u think a black slave like what was in usa at past will do if his master orders him to do a thing!!!!!!!
need more thinking.....

Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lack of knowledge and piety

salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awareness and acceptance of others

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
verio
Member # 3815

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for verio   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so how we can make the people who visite This site are more about islam. It is strange when you post a something regarding football player you can see 50 people get involved. but topic about islam only one person involved.

T.

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you genuinely want to start a discussion about Islam and for it to have a useful effect it would be good idea to post your subject on just one forum and not several, giving some of your own ideas to stimulate the discussion. As people don't yet know you here it is difficult to work out why you are asking your one line question. Positive discussions usually start from positive beginnings too!

By the way I can't remember when we ever discussed football players...many other subjects generated a lot of interest here, but not that one!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Masr
Member # 3429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent Masr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
If you genuinely want to start a discussion about Islam and for it to have a useful effect it would be good idea to post your subject on just one forum and not several, giving some of your own ideas to stimulate the discussion. As people don't yet know you here it is difficult to work out why you are asking your one line question. Positive discussions usually start from positive beginnings too!

By the way I can't remember when we ever discussed football players...many other subjects generated a lot of interest here, but not that one!

Posts: 33 | From: london | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetjulia
Member # 3895

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this forum and hope to learn as much as I can about Islam and Egypt. I have been studying the Qur'an for about 3 years. Where I live there is a very small % of Muslim's, I have called many numbers and no-one has ever returned my calls from any of the Islamic or Muslim Associations.I want to find a Mosque here and someday find a good Muslim man but have no idea where to start, can anyone help me ? I live in Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 10 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetjulia:
I I live in Nova Scotia Canada

Well, isn't that interesting, I thought oh piece of cake i'll do a search and find her a few Mosques in Nova Scotia....not a single on yet.

Hang on Julia....i'll find you something.

[This message has been edited by homesick2 (edited 28 March 2004).]

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

aritime Muslim Academy(4/97)
6225 Chebucto Road
Halifax, NS
B3L 1K7
Phone: 902-429-9067
Email: mma@atcon.com

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
slamic Information Foundation(5/99)
8 Laurel Lane
Halifax, NS
B3M 2P6
Phone: 902-445-2494 (Dr. Jamal Badawi)
Fax: 902-445-2494
Email: iif@muslimemail.com
Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6808/iif.html
Notes: A non-profit educational foundation.
Notes: Subscribe to the Islamic Information Foundation e-mail group:
Notes: i_i_f@egroups.com

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by verio:
ALL,

What do you think the major barriers for Muslim to understand Islam? And behave like a real Muslim.

Our inability to submit...to accept the fact that our sole purpose in existence is to wroship Allah Sub7anahu Wata3ala

*edit* oops ..i just realized that's what AMR wrote.

[This message has been edited by homesick2 (edited 28 March 2004).]

AMR the great
Member # 3076

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for AMR the great   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWEETJULIA
I know a newly muslim canadian woman, she can help u.
Contact me at my e-mail , AT MY PROFILE, to give u her e-mail address.
Best wishes.

quote:
I am new to this forum and hope to learn as much as I can about Islam and Egypt. I have been studying the Qur'an for about 3 years. Where I live there is a very small % of Muslim's, I have called many numbers and no-one has ever returned my calls from any of the Islamic or Muslim Associations.I want to find a Mosque here and someday find a good Muslim man but have no idea where to start, can anyone help me ? I live in Nova Scotia Canada

Posts: 97 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetjulia
Member # 3895

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi again, thanks for your kindness homesick2, Maritime Muslim Academy is a school and the other place you mentioned is one of the places that I previously called that I did not hear back from. My email address is sweetjuliajames@hotmail.com so Amr please feel free to give it to anyone that can help me on my journey for the truth. I really appreciate your help. thank-you God Bless all....Julia

[This message has been edited by sweetjulia (edited 28 March 2004).]

Posts: 10 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosemary
Member # 3903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosemary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

hi sweetjulia,

The muslim scene is virtually inexistant throughout most of NS. Halifax is a little better but the few mosques there are not exactly how one envisions a mosque to be. In terms of architecture, they look indistinguishable from any random community center.

The Maritime Muslim Academy in Halifax, NS is made up of two buildings, one a school and the second a public mosque. As well, there is a weekly prayer service on the Dalhousie campus every Friday.

I also came upon a Center for Islamic development
Mailing Address: 2728-2732 Robie Street,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3K 4P2
Phone: 902-455-1887
General Inquiries E-mail:info@cidonline.org

hope this helps and all the best to you,

P.S. if you have further questions, feel free to e-mail me amernak@hotmail.com

rosemary

Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliamuslimah
Member # 3900

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliamuslimah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wowow cool im from nova scotia tooo..never thought id find any peeps from halifax or nova scotia here on my way to egypt neat...im from new waterford cape breton island ..anyone else from around nova scotia? i live in mississauga ontario now but im flying to egypt inshallah may 4th to live in ismailia with my wonderful fiance
salam alaikom from a revert from cape breton..maybe the first who knows lol

Posts: 23 | From: mississauga ontario | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetjulia
Member # 3895

Rate Member
WHAT? sweety I have no idea what you just said :/

alliamuslimah
Member # 3900

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliamuslimah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i said im from nova scotia...too....and muslim...basically thats all..oh i added im moving to egypt may 4th ...thats all. salam alaikom
Posts: 23 | From: mississauga ontario | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JTF-2
Member # 4026

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JTF-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact Dr. Jamal Badawi, he is the Imam of the mosque at the Maritime Muslim Academy on Chebucto Rd. You can contact him at St Mary's University Management Department @ 420-5776 (Office phone) or 420-5781 (Dept phone).
If you feel like it, drop into the Sobey's Building at SMU, Room 240, and see if he's in.

[This message has been edited by JTF-2 (edited 14 April 2004).]

[This message has been edited by JTF-2 (edited 14 April 2004).]

Posts: 1 | From: Eastern Passage NS Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anuna
Member # 4022

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for anuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muslims today lack greatly in respect for what is the true religion. Although there are many fundamentalists and extremeists out there...there are just as many "good" muslims out there. However, the "good" muslims do not have the political power, the gun power, and the intimidation aspects that the other factions have. Islam today is a split religion. For instance- Usama Bin Laden is claiming Jihad against Americans... there is not one attack against the religion to justify this... there is an attack of course on the political system that he has created in Afghanistan. Muslims in America live freely, practice freely, are given time off in many companies for fasting, (not all but many), I am a muslim and I live in America, I converted when I was 13. As I continue to learn and grow within the religion I realize more and more that there are people out there who spout their own versions of the Qur'an... their own interpretations of it if you will... they do not have the capacity to see truthfully what the laws are and what the history in the religion is. They merely see oppression. Islam used to be a free thinking religion... people "good" muslims used to over-power the others and cast them aside becuase of the radical thinking... immidiate corporal punnishment of women is wrong... it says in the Qur'an that if your wife is wrong and she repents, let her be for some perscribed time to let her be clean again, and forgive her... not kill her immidiately. The leaders of certain countries are imposing a different Islam other than the Qur'an, Shari'aa and Hadith on people... one of intimidation and brainwash... I see it in the feleheen countries... they still run to the mosque when it rains in desert places because they know not what they did wrong... when they should be rejoicing because water is the gift of life from ALlah... it is a blessing not a curse. These people are taken and told lies to get them to hate...their families hesitant to let their children and men go threatened if they do not go with them the whole family will be killed... then you have someone like Usama the chicken... making young men die and lying to them.... so what the litte coward can stay in a cave somewhere so he can live and act like he is GOD?? those people died for Usama and not ALLAH, for USAMA and not Islam... Islam is a peaceful religion and surely a man like Usama knows that today there is a thing such as diplomacy to reslove gomvernment conflicts... of course these people are cowards and hide behind the religion as if it were their shield... they will not see heaven for those actions... Islam means that you submit to GOD and you are peaceful and always opt for the humane option first... if all else fails then other precautions must be taken but not after some careful consideration...
Muslims have gone crazy around the world thinking that they have card blanche for whatever they do not like about this or that they can go off and kill someone... the government is not going to do any more than it is if you kill another American tourist... if you kill political figure the whole country will be toast... but for just civilians...come on... war is not the answer... but to get evil people that hurt their own countrymen and women and children yes sometimes war is the only way. So I think that Muslims need to re-educate themselves in the religion... the Qur'an is split into two essential sections History that every muslim must know and learn from, and Law which every muslim must follow no matter where they are in the world such as the 5 Pillars of Islam.

Posts: 39 | From: West St. Paul, MN USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said anuna!
Thanks.................

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmad1
Member # 3883

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmad1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu Aaikum,

we simply lack now the characters which made Muslims the greatest nation before and the first of them is sincerity whether with God or with people and what we are going through now is the same situation that nations before us who were given message from God broke thiere relation with God and thiere destination was the same as weak in almost every field and thiere enemies would get more strong.

Everyone need to start by him/herself first as sometimes here in Egypt I feel everyone is criticizing the rest of the ppl for the same reasons and yet we still do not even start by ourselves.

I do have great hope this will chnge insh'Allah as after hard times usually comes a betetr time when people learn...

------------------
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 65 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
I want to find a Mosque here and someday find a good Muslim man but have no idea where to start, can anyone help me ? I live in Nova Scotia Canada

http://www.islamicfinder.com/prayerDetail.php?country=canada&city=Halifax&state=NS&email=&home=2004-4-15&lang=&aversion=&athan=

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From What Went Wrong for Bernard Lewis:

When things go wrong in a society, in a way and to a degree that can no longer be denied or concealed, there are various questions that one can ask. A common one particularly in continental Europe yesterday and in the Middle East today, is: ‘Who did this to us?’ The answer to a question thus formulated is usually to place blame on external or domestic scapegoats –foreigners abroad or minorities at home. The Ottomans, faced with the major crisis in their history, asked a different question: ‘What did we do wrong?’

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:

‘What did we do wrong?’

http://users.ids.net/~gregan/lewis.html

--------------------------------------

"Chomsky rejects the conceited misconception articulated by various establishment intellectuals, such as Samuel Huntington and Bernard Lewis, that there is a clash of civilizations between the West and Islam. The notion that the quest for freedom, tolerance, prosperity, democracy, peaceful coexistence is alien to Muslims or Arab has no real basis. Contrary to the claims of "experts" who assert that the US is hated for its freedom, democracy, and wealth or that Arabs and Muslims are against fast food chains or blue jeans, he sticks to the facts: The resentment of the US in the Muslim and the Arab countries, even among the Westernized elites, stems from its policy of harsh sanctions against Iraq and support for Israel's occupation of Palestinian West Bank and Gaza. The US supported Israel's invasion of Lebanon in which about 17,000 Lebanese and Palestinians, mostly civilians, were killed. Chomsky also reminds the readers of US sponsorship of terrorist bombing in Beruit in 1985. The Washington Post revealed in a report published three years later that due to this bombing 80 people were killed and 250 people injured. The Western countries are quite eager to support fundamentalist Islamic regime, such as that of Saudi Arabia, as long as they can secure cooperation from the Arab ruling elites in the exploitation of Middle Eastern oil. The Western countries did not hesitate to give crucial support to the Latin American elite to crush the Catholic Church when some of its priests sided with the poor and the oppressed. "
http://www.counterpunch.org/akram0615.html

--------------------------------------------

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:

‘What did we do wrong?’

"In a sense, the present book is a false advertisement for filling this unspoken gap, but it builds on nothing but generalities such as the uniquely explosive nature of Muslim rage. To Charlie Rose, Lewis recently said that asking Arafat to give up terrorism is like asking Tiger Woods to give up golf, that Bush was right to paint Iran and Iraq as part of the axis of evil, and that Saddam Hussein will use weapons of mass destruction if he gets them. To NPR's Robert Siegel, Lewis made the claim that Muslims are finding it difficult to engage in the question of what went wrong and why because of lack of free discussion (we should relieve them of that responsibility). RAND analyst Laurent Murawiec recommended on July 10 to the Defense Policy Board that we should take over Saudi Arabian oil fields and assets, because their oil wealth funds extremism around the world--essentially, because we don't agree with their worldview. To Brian Lamb, Lewis rehearsed a mostly similar argument: "get tough" with them. The academic veneer comes off sometimes."

"For Lewis, Muslims have always suffered from a fatal lack of curiosity about the West. Yes, they traveled to Western lands, but when they did so they had a condescending attitude toward the infidels. In contrast, visitors from the West have a long tradition of engaging in fruitful comparison of cultures"

"For Lewis, Muslims have focused on acquiring the superficial trappings of "wealth and power." This is explained by a persistent streak of incuriosity about the Westerner: "Muslims in general had little desire or incentive to venture into Christian Europe, and indeed the doctors of the Holy Law for the most part prohibited such journeys, except for a specific and limited purpose." When the Ottomans did "adopt the European practice of continuous diplomacy through resident missions" they had a hard time doing so, because unlike their European counterparts residing in Eastern lands they did not have a tradition of language scholarship."
http://www.counterpunch.org/shivani0914.html

------------------------------------------

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:

‘What did we do wrong?’

"Bernard Lewis has achieved almost iconic status in the West as an expert on Islam and how Muslims think. He wrote an essay for Atlantic magazine in 1990 called “Roots of Muslim Rage,” in which he used the term “clash of civilizations.” That term was picked up later by Harvard University professor, Samuel Huntington. He wrote a book called The Clash of Civilizations. Now you have written a book called The Clash of Fundamentalisms. What do you think about this so-called theory?

The Lewis theory is largely based on a view of a world that I don’t recognize. I grew up in that world and have traveled throughout it. There is rage in the Muslim world, obviously, and the reasons for that rage are the imposition of a settler state in the heart of the Arab world and the attempt to destroy the Palestinians and their identity. I know in the United States this is a sensitive subject, but before the formation and foundation of Israel, there was very little anti-Semitism in the Arab world. Large Jewish communities lived in the Maghrib, North Africa, or in the heart of the Middle East, in Egypt and Iraq. "
http://www.zmag.org/ZMagSite/Apr2003/ali0403.html
--------------------------------------------

"Who Is Bernard Lewis?

We will return to the book in a moment, but before that, we need to step back some twenty-five years and examine how Edward Said, in Orientalism , has described this Orientalist tiger's stripes and his cunning ploys at concealment. Edward Said gets to the nub of Lewis's Orientalist project when he writes that his "work purports to be liberal objective scholarship but is in reality very close to being propaganda against his subject material." Lewis's work is "aggressively ideological." He has dedicated his entire career, spanning more than five decades, to a "project to debunk, to whittle down, and to discredit the Arabs and Islam." Said writes:
The core of Lewis's ideology about Islam is that it never changes, and his whole mission is to inform conservative segments of the Jewish reading public, and anyone else who cares to listen, that any political, historical, and scholarly account of Muslims must begin and end with the fact that Muslims are Muslims. "

"This Zionist camp has been led for more than fifty years by Bernard Lewis, who has enjoyed an intimate relationship with power that would be the envy of the most distinguished Orientalists of an earlier generation. He has been strongly supported by a contingent of able lieutenants, whose ranks have included the likes of Elie Kedourie, David Pryce-Jones, Raphael Patai, Daniel Pipes, and Martin Kramer. "
http://www.twf.org/News/Y2003/0629-Bernard.html

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Whatever Lewis thinks about the clash or dialogues between civilizations, his book touched the nerves for me, especially when it comes to the Ottoman history.
And many things in the book are really true ... it tries to discover reasons for our region lingering behind, and for his specific mention of "who" or "what" is an amazing illustration of conditions in the region.

For example, I once asked a friend:
Me: Why Egypt is not that much developed?
My Friend: Because we have been in wars all those years.
Me: Israel also has been in wars all those years.
My Friend: Yes but it enjoys support from the West.

What is wrong if people start to claim responsibility for retardation ... it is guaranteed it will be the first step to progress.

Please read the book ... "it is based on true story "

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whatever Lewis thinks
For example, I once asked a friend:
What is wrong if people start to claim responsibility for retardation ... it is guaranteed it will be the first step to progress.

You obviouly did not read any of the links I posted, and you've probably read very little else....and so you must "claim responsibility for" your own "retardation "

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
homesick,

I see no contradiction between what I wrote and the text you pasted on Lewis.

Again whatever Lewis believes in about civilizations ... he is still indeed explored very true reasons in his book, especially when he dealt with the history of Ottoman Empire.

Egyptian historians know how bad the 3 centuries of Ottoman rule left the country.
And while the Ottomans were able to change the course, the rest of their subject states did not.

The quality of learning is magnified when you know how to differentiate between what is wrong and what is right, not just reject someone for a part of him that you don’t like.

And did you read the book????????

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

[This message has been edited by Raymon (edited 22 April 2004).]

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
homesick,

I see no contradiction between what I wrote and the text you pasted on Lewis.

Then you need glasses

quote:

The quality of learning is magnified when you know how to differentiate between what is wrong and what is right, not just reject someone for a part of him that you don’t like.

There is nothing right about Bernard Lewis, he always starts by writing about how great Muslims and Arabs were and then follows by how Inherently flawed we are.
He is a great asset the Zionist movement.

quote:

And did you read the book????????

I read enough of his crap, this on is no different.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com