EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Mobile Phone Compatability

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mobile Phone Compatability
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time we visit Egypt we want to take our friend a mobile phone. The problem is we know nothing about compatability between a U.K. bought phone and the service providers in Egypt. Can anyone help please?
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by philand teresa:

go ahead with it, its both GSM type. No need to worry, i used my egyptian cell back in uk last year though i have no roaming service, but just used one of my friends simcard overthere on my mobile service, so does my friends find no problem when they come in heer with their uk phones

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any type of GSM phone works in Egypt .. also if you have international roamning then you can use your UK Sim card in Egypt.. I live in UK and do Travel to Ehypt many times each year and I used all types of phons there, Nokia, Ericesson, Motorola and all types of networks.. Vodaphone,
T-mobile, O2
Regards.
Mohsen

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
philand teresa
what network you on and is it pay as you go or contract ?
me and the missus are spending a couple of days in the midlands over easter , wheres the belly dancing club ??

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
phones in egypt are sold separate of a service provider. this means there's no sim card and the phone is unlocked. your friend in egypt will buy a sim card (pre pay or monthly) from either vodafone or mobinil, the 2 providers in egypt.

the only thing you need to be sure of is that the phone is unlocked (meaning you can insert a SIM card into the little slot on the back). that would mean you buy the phone in UK WITHOUT any kind of a packaged deal/contract with a UK provider.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry , read the question wrong.
if its a gift for someone in egypt, any phone that has been unlocked to except any network will work in egypt. if you want to test it before you go , try an orange or t mobile sim in it then a vodaphone or 02 in it . if they both work then it means it will work on any network and will work in egypt.

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
[B]phones in egypt are sold separate of a service provider. this means there's no sim card and the phone is unlocked. your friend in egypt will buy a sim card (pre pay or monthly) from either vodafone or mobinil, the 2 providers in egypt.

ExptinCAI.
any idea what the charge is if we buy an egypt vodaphone and call someone in england on vodaphone and also texting charge ? when we were in luxor in feb , we had our english voda sims in and it cost US just to answer the call !!!

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, that's the same anywhere...if you have egyptian sim card in UK and someone calls you from egypt, they pay local charge and you pay international one.

so don't answer, unless you can see the number (local egyptian numbers - both land lines and mobiles all show up, there's no way to make it a "private" number on the display)

you'll need to get a pay-as-you go card and make sure you can dial internationally. tariffs should be posted on either of the providers' site (mobinil and vodafone).

the cost will be about $1 per minute... i'm guessing though.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gogo
Member # 2987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gogo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philand teresa:
Next time we visit Egypt we want to take our friend a mobile phone. The problem is we know nothing about compatability between a U.K. bought phone and the service providers in Egypt. Can anyone help please?

GSM 900

Posts: 23 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
philand teresa,
I think you'ld better buy a new cell phone number here ... it is gonna cost you less than roaming.
All UK cell phones work here fine ... also because we have same vodafone network.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com