EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » who do i trust?/?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who do i trust?/?
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have bought a place in luxor and i think it has been a big mistake....i dont trust one of them....always out for the last buck??/xxxxxroddy
Posts: 120 | From: clevedon..uk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you feel you have made a mistake?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KENZIE i feel its a bit of a mistake because it does seem overall luxor is becoming increasingly bad for inflating prices...and then some???it has only been in the last 2years that we encountered theft and fraud....and we never thought it was the case until we had things stolen from us.....nothing but nothing is safe in your home and on your person.i believe away from the touristy parts this would not happen but as europeans we are not allowed to travel freely
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
Why do you feel you have made a mistake?

Posts: 120 | From: clevedon..uk | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people who live East and West bank and are really happy. One couple have rented a flat on East bank in a very dodgy area for years and never had a mite of trouble and leave it furnished with their own stuff all year round. Of course I think the West Bank is better for trust and friendlyness. Perphaps you have been unlucky

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,thanks for your message jane....i dont think we have been unlucky....we have not been street smart
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I know people who live East and West bank and are really happy. One couple have rented a flat on East bank in a very dodgy area for years and never had a mite of trouble and leave it furnished with their own stuff all year round. Of course I think the West Bank is better for trust and friendlyness. Perphaps you have been unlucky

Osama
Member # 3854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm
yes why mistake
i dont understand what do you want to say
./Osama

Posts: 38 | From: Alexandria,Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
osama i also dont know what you wish to say....very puzzled by your remarks...roddy ps if you wish to tell me more e mail me at rodstarr@blueyonder.co.uk
quote:
Originally posted by Osama:
umm
yes why mistake
i dont understand what do you want to say
./Osama

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jane we have not been unlucky at all ...it happens to all eouropeans as you well know...how many europeans would share a husband for gods sake???you have to be one of the few.....where is your worth and self esteem.....roddy
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddy,

Askhar was just trying to empathise with you and you turn round and start making assumptions about her apparent lack of self esteem? I have read alot of Akshar's post and what has clearly been conveyed to me is an image of a gutsy lady who is prepared to do what SHE believes is right. Even is she receives a verbal backlash from people that are not willing to listen and learn.
I have read some of your other posts and initially you seemed like quite a nice guy but the tone of your more recent posts seems to be changing.

I would have presumed (wrongly) that having lived in Egypt and experienced a different way of life you would be less narrow-minded and more open to learning about different ways of living.

Akshar chooses to be a co-wife and that is her educated decision. Providing she is happy,the other wife is happy and the whole family unit feels safe and secure then who are you to start making judgments about self esteem and self worth?

Didn't I read on one of your other posts that you are gay? Fine! Brilliant! I hope you are happy with YOUR life choice. I personally have no problem with homosexuals but I am sure that being part of a minority group YOU have encountered prejudice born out of pure ignorance. I could start making judgements about you. Perhaps suggesting that you are a sex tourists and one of the many gays that visit Luxor with the sole intention of paying young, vunerable boys for sex. I would never make such an offensive sweeping statement, please do others the same courtesy.

In fact I was reading your post re Male Homosexuality in Egypt. You got rather annoyed when a member suggested that all Gay men sleep around. You responded that you are gay and do not sleep around, in your own words you also said:-
"We are all people living our lives"
Why does this laissez-faire attitude not apply to polygamous marriages? Why can't you be tolerant and understanding of other peoples choices?

You may not agree with polygamous marriages but judging by your response you also know very little about them. Tell you what, why don't you start reading about this subject? Educate yourself about Islam and the reasons for polygamous marriages. Perhaps then you can contribute to an intelligent discussion about them instead of making negative remarks.

I am really sorry that you feel you have been cheated in Luxor. From your recent posts it appears that you are not happy here. You are disgusted with the way men apparently talk about women and you feel that everyone is trying to cheat you. Perhaps you should cut your losses, leave and put it down to experience.

I read another of your posts about Egyptian Men refering to European Women as 'Old Gold'. I think this says less about the Egyptian males of Luxor and more about the company you keep.

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 25 March 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Deleted

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by claire_1237:
Roddy,

Askhar was just trying to empathise with you and you turn round and start making assumptions about her apparent lack of self esteem? I have read alot of Akshar's post and what has clearly been conveyed to me is an image of a gutsy lady who is prepared to do what SHE believes is right. Even is she receives a verbal backlash from people that are not willing to listen and learn.
I have read some of your other posts and initially you seemed like quite a nice guy but the tone of your more recent posts seems to be changing.

I would have presumed (wrongly) that having lived in Egypt and experienced a different way of life you would be less narrow-minded and more open to learning about different ways of living.

Akshar chooses to be a co-wife and that is her educated decision. Providing she is happy,the other wife is happy and the whole family unit feels safe and secure then who are you to start making judgments about self esteem and self worth?

Didn't I read on one of your other posts that you are gay? Fine! Brilliant! I hope you are happy with YOUR life choice. I personally have no problem with homosexuals but I am sure that being part of a minority group YOU have encountered prejudice born out of pure ignorance. I could start making judgements about you. Perhaps suggesting that you are a sex tourists and one of the many gays that visit Luxor with the sole intention of paying young, vunerable boys for sex. I would never make such an offensive sweeping statement, please do others the same courtesy.

In fact I was reading your post re Male Homosexuality in Egypt. You got rather annoyed when a member suggested that all Gay men sleep around. You responded that you are gay and do not sleep around, in your own words you also said:-
Why does this laissez-faire attitude not apply to polygamous marriages? Why can't you be tolerant and understanding of other peoples choices?

You may not agree with polygamous marriages but judging by your response you also know very little about them. Tell you what, why don't you start reading about this subject? Educate yourself about Islam and the reasons for polygamous marriages. Perhaps then you can contribute to an intelligent discussion about them instead of making negative remarks.

I am really sorry that you feel you have been cheated in Luxor. From your recent posts it appears that you are not happy here. You are disgusted with the way men apparently talk about women and you feel that everyone is trying to cheat you. Perhaps you should cut your losses, leave and put it down to experience.

I read another of your posts about Egyptian Men refering to European Women as 'Old Gold'. I think this says less about the Egyptian males of Luxor and more about the company you keep.

Wow right on sister

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
claire...i am not making judgements???we all have choices in this life and you seemed to broken new grounds....you are the one who seems to have a hangup...i tell it as it is you poor thing
quote:
Roddy,

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
claire ...what a sad old girl you are....i would not give you the time of day....yes, i have principles that i live with...you are sadly lacking in that department....and dont preach to me about how to live ...are you living that kind of life of sharing a husband?yes i have lived in the middle east a long time and i have the greatest respect for moslems???however you proberly agree with female circumcision???get real that is one of the most barbaric acts of all time....now you are going to say...it no longer goes on.....rubbish..90per cent of girls go through that.....even now although its against the law???dont tell me i know nothing...i have the greatest repect for human kind
quote:
Roddy,

claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Sorry Roddy but you're not making any sense.
How am I am breaking new grounds? Explain?
You say that I have hang ups? Why would that be? Why would you assume that a co wife automatically has problems with Self esteem? Explain.
In your posts you have openly disrespected people in polygamous marriages. I am not in a polygamous relationship and hence your criticism does not relate to me.
Why have you tried to turn the topic around to female circumcision?

Are you able to have an intelligent debate without criticising people?
All of my comments about you have related to comments that you have posted.
You have proved that you are a man that makes assumptions about people without ANY evidence to back it up.

You have assumed that Akshar has low self esteem

You have assumed that I am in a polygamous relationship. I am not.

You have assumed that I approve of female circumcision when I have not expressed my opinion one way or the other.

You have proved that what you lack in intelligence you make up for in insults.

I am logging off now so have a nice evening Roddy!
XX

claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clair sorry if i upset you...there is more to you than meets the eye???i have no prob. with ashar.....in fact i think she is great....you are the problem???...you are making a mountain out of a molehill....for gods sake this is a forum with different views without it getting nasty
quote:
Sorry Roddy but you're not making any sense.
How am I am breaking new grounds? Explain?
You say that I have hang ups? Why would that be? Why would you assume that a co wife automatically has problems with Self esteem? Explain.
In your posts you have openly disrespected people in polygamous marriages. I am not in a polygamous relationship and hence your criticism does not relate to me.
Why have you tried to turn the topic around to female circumcision?

Are you able to have an intelligent debate without criticising people?
All of my comments about you have related to comments that you have posted.
You have proved that you are a man that makes assumptions about people without ANY evidence to back it up.

You have assumed that Akshar has low self esteem

You have assumed that I am in a polygamous relationship. I am not.

You have assumed that I approve of female circumcision when I have not expressed my opinion one way or the other.

You have proved that what you lack in intelligence you make up for in insults.

I am logging off now so have a nice evening Roddy!
XX

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
claire you seem to have a lot of issues whih perhaps no one can solve and why you have to bring into this i will never know....akshar is great but not many europeans could do what she has....and good on her....you are something else again???
quote:
Roddy,

roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
[claire...the company we keep is very high profile ....more than you know ??just you be careful what derogatry statements you make....my home phone in england is 01275 878716 .we have no number in egypt. JUST GIVE ME YOUR NUMBER IN EGYPT...WE HAVE NO PROBS....DO YOU.if you give your no. i can pass it on to the appro. authorityQUOTE]Originally posted by claire_1237:
Roddy,

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 25 March 2004).][/QUOTE]

DiscoverEgypt
Member # 3212

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for DiscoverEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddy

I'm sorry but you're not really making any sense. One minute you're talking down at Akshar for being a 2nd wife saying she has no self respect of self esteem and now you're saying you hold her in high regard you're constantly contradicting yourself

You're throwing in assumsptions to try and insult Claire, who is afterall just like you and expresssing her opinion that you say should be freely made in this forum. Is it OK for you to have an opinion but no one else ? All the assumptions of Claire you have made I can verify are untrue as I know Claire and am familiar with her situation, all I can say is if most of us could have the happy relationship she has then we would be blessed.

If you don't have anything constructive to say why bother saying it? You weren't expressing an opinion you were making assumptions that people's lives and morals were inferior to your own, with no justification.

And why could you possibly want Claire's number ? I'm sure she wouldn't have anything she'd wish to say to you, as she merely expresses opionions and views and doesn't involve herself in personal attacks on other members

quote:
Originally posted by roddy:
[claire...the company we keep is very high profile ....more than you know ??just you be careful what derogatry statements you make....my home phone in england is 01275 878716 .we have no number in egypt. JUST GIVE ME YOUR NUMBER IN EGYPT...WE HAVE NO PROBS....DO YOU.if you give your no. i can pass it on to the appro. authorityQUOTE]Originally posted by claire_1237:
[b]Roddy,

[/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by DiscoverEgypt (edited 26 March 2004).]

Posts: 11 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
thankyou discover egypt...your views are noted...roddy
quote:
Originally posted by DiscoverEgypt:
Roddy

I'm sorry but you're not really making any sense. One minute you're talking down at Akshar for being a 2nd wife saying she has no self respect of self esteem and now you're saying you hold her in high regard you're constantly contradicting yourself

You're throwing in assumsptions to try and insult Claire, who is afterall just like you and expresssing her opinion that you say should be freely made in this forum. Is it OK for you to have an opinion but no one else ? All the assumptions of Claire you have made I can verify are untrue as I know Claire and am familiar with her situation, all I can say is if most of us could have the happy relationship she has then we would be blessed.

If you don't have anything constructive to say why bother saying it? You weren't expressing an opinion you were making assumptions that people's lives and morals were inferior to your own, with no justification.

And why could you possibly want Claire's number ? I'm sure she wouldn't have anything she'd wish to say to you, as she merely expresses opionions and views and doesn't involve herself in personal attacks on other members

[This message has been edited by DiscoverEgypt (edited 26 March 2004).]

AhmedMostafa
Member # 4152

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AhmedMostafa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new here. I'm an Egyptian man that has lived in the UK for many years. I have several gay friends and have family members in Egypt that are involved in polygymas marriages. One family members in particular has 2 wives one Egyptian and 1 French. It is a personal choice and they work very well together. I'm interested to know what it is exactly has attracted you to Luxor. You have stated many times that you don't trust Egyptians and made it clear that you are irritated by our ways. You are ignorant to the ways and customs of our culture and seem to understand nothing. I mean do you have friends there? It is very concerning that a man with your intellegence level, sexual orientation and lack of understanding is allowed to live in my country especially where poverty is high and young people will do anything for money.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roddy
Member # 3805

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahmed..i am not ignorant of egyptian ways at all..i have some super egyptian friends and it would be true to say it takes time to sort the good from the bad in any culture and as for trust it would be foolish to put to much store by what anyone tells you in any country .yes egypt is very poor and it is heartbreaking to realise that for many things will not improve.yesterday i returned from a short break in luxor and i had a great time....spent time with an egyptian family on west bank and the hospitality was wonderful.why do i go to luxor...i have the greatest laugh with egyptians...all day and every day.you imply that i go with guys and pay money???i DONT...never have and never will? you are also concerned that i am allowed to live in egypt...i could say i am concerned that you live in britain.i WOULD NEVER do that.i have no problem with who lives in britain?also i do not live in egypt but we have a home in luxor and have given a lot of work to local people...plus we pay english prices..we NEVER exploit anyone
quote:
Originally posted by AhmedMostafa:
I'm new here. I'm an Egyptian man that has lived in the UK for many years. I have several gay friends and have family members in Egypt that are involved in polygymas marriages. One family members in particular has 2 wives one Egyptian and 1 French. It is a personal choice and they work very well together. I'm interested to know what it is exactly has attracted you to Luxor. You have stated many times that you don't trust Egyptians and made it clear that you are irritated by our ways. You are ignorant to the ways and customs of our culture and seem to understand nothing. I mean do you have friends there? It is very concerning that a man with your intellegence level, sexual orientation and lack of understanding is allowed to live in my country especially where poverty is high and young people will do anything for money.

pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well isnt roddy off to his usual stuff now yes you have paid a lot of money for your flat as you got ripped off goodstyle by the english woman hat helped you and the 2 gay fellas p & p but thats your fault not the fault of the egyptians you might have had stuff stolen from your person and from your flat but if you choose to have boys round you all the time and in your flat you get what you expect. Try being a cleaner person and live here for the right reasons not for the sex which is the real reason you are here isnt it? The lady on the west bank seems to be very nice and quiet and getting on with her life as she wants it is none of your business but you are one of the people making luxor a very dirty place maybe soon it will be cleaned up. I am gay but i dont wear make up or perm my hair but i live here quiet and like a normal person luxor is not the place for screaming queens.
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ahmed nice comments you made and he denies paying boys for sex but he does and he once had to be helped outside the snobs restaurant as the locals were going to lynch him after he had tried to have sex with a young boy as i said i am gay but very very discreet and we dont pay boys all over luxor and certainly dont play about with young boys lets hope luxor is cleaned up very quickly we have lived here for nearly 8 years never been robbed or ripped off or badly treated
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pearce648 -Sounds like you know Roddy personally. Is this so? Sounds like you've got a score to settle with him too? Why don't you do it in real life and leave your and his private sexual life off the Internet.

I say, NO ONE BUT NO ONE talks about their sexual exploits on this board. If we start to allow it here, then the next thing you know we'll have the 20 something horney Cairo boys thinking it's ok to describe what they tell each other they do, and NO ONE wants that!!!!

Anyone else agree?

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
completely. not to mention that homosexuality is illegal in egypt regardless of your nationality and will land you in jail.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmedMostafa
Member # 4152

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AhmedMostafa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roddy:
ahmed..i am not ignorant of egyptian ways at all..i have some super egyptian friends and it would be true to say it takes time to sort the good from the bad in any culture and as for trust it would be foolish to put to much store by what anyone tells you in any country .yes egypt is very poor and it is heartbreaking to realise that for many things will not improve.yesterday i returned from a short break in luxor and i had a great time....spent time with an egyptian family on west bank and the hospitality was wonderful.why do i go to luxor...i have the greatest laugh with egyptians...all day and every day.you imply that i go with guys and pay money???i DONT...never have and never will? you are also concerned that i am allowed to live in egypt...i could say i am concerned that you live in britain.i WOULD NEVER do that.i have no problem with who lives in britain?also i do not live in egypt but we have a home in luxor and have given a lot of work to local people...plus we pay english prices..we NEVER exploit anyone

Roddy - I never said that you did exploit anyone. All I said is that with your obvious ignorance to my culture and economy you concerned me. I'm even more concerned if what Pearce says is true. You should be very careful my friend. As you should be aware Egyptian neighbours are very nosey the see everything and you could land yourself in alot of trouble with the police inshallah.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jane is a very brave woman, I do not think it is easy for her, how can you be so cruel to say such unjustified words with regard to how you see her self esteem?
I have only seen Jane as very helpful and kind on this forum. Why do you want to attack her so viciously. Maybe because your self esteem is at an all time low. So that justifies you attacking all and sundry.

Dreamcatcher

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Debbie yes you are right sorry for my previous words point taken i dont have a personal score to settle with roddy and niether do i know him personally but he seems to think he knows me and has plenty to say about me around luxor maybe he is jealous as we have lived here for 7 1/2 yrs and been very happy have loads of egyptians we can trust like many others do .

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com