EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Taijine , Tagine. Recipe ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taijine , Tagine. Recipe ?
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all
when we were last in egypt we had the pleasure of having taijine at maxins in luxor . we are now trying everywhere to find the receipt for this dish ? . not sure of the spelling but if anyone knows how to make beef taijine / tagine would be great if you could post it here for us
gary

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary I believe the word you're looking for is "Tagin" , A "Tagin" being that clay pot where you put all the ingredients in the oven, practically anything can be in "Tagin" including chicken, fish or even vegetables like okra, a personal favorite of mine,Not being even a halfway decent cook, I'm afraid there is nothing i can say, but a "Tagin" has lots of onions, herbs and a bunch of other stuff. Look it up in " Beef Tagin" or "Egyptian Tagin".......
http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/egypt.html

try this link till a better cook shows up.....mmmm it has pigeons "tagin", Fish tagin and I think beef tagin..... mebbe that's the one you're looking for? ?????

Good Luck .

[This message has been edited by Rimo (edited 04 April 2004).]

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gary, rimo ...

There is a dish in Egypt called Tagen (with hard "g")

And in Tunisia there is some meal called Tajine ... both meals are different.

Gary, please describe what did you eat exactly ... was that in clay pot?

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI GUYS
THANX FOR REPLEYS
RAYMON;ON THE MENU IT SAID BEEF TAIJINE HAD BEEF CARROTS POTATOES ETC IN ALSO HAD A SLIGHT PAPRIKA TASTE.AND YES IT WAS SERVED IN A CLAY POT 9 VERY HOT , STILL BUBBLIG !)

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gary:
HI GUYS
THANX FOR REPLEYS
RAYMON;ON THE MENU IT SAID BEEF TAIJINE HAD BEEF CARROTS POTATOES ETC IN ALSO HAD A SLIGHT PAPRIKA TASTE.AND YES IT WAS SERVED IN A CLAY POT 9 VERY HOT , STILL BUBBLIG !)

Raymon,

I think since 1- it was served in a clay pot
2- it was in Egypt it was probably the "tagin" ....only misspelled
What is Tajine?

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rimo:
Tajine is a morrocan meal.. very famous aound the world same as COS COS and HARIRRAH ( the famous soup ).. Tajine normally consists of beef/lamp and Vegitbales. and I would think there is no differnce bteween TAGIN as egyptian food and Tajine as morrocan one,,, I mean in the basis as meat and Vegi but ingredints could be differnt and .. herbs.. spice.. Now Gary if you are in Uk then you can find Tajine in so many resturants speically in London.
Mohsen

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mohsen1000:
Rimo:
Tajine is a morrocan meal.. very famous aound the world same as COS COS and HARIRRAH ( the famous soup ).. Tajine normally consists of beef/lamp and Vegitbales. and I would think there is no differnce bteween TAGIN as egyptian food and Tajine as morrocan one,,, I mean in the basis as meat and Vegi but ingredints could be differnt and .. herbs.. spice.. Now Gary if you are in Uk then you can find Tajine in so many resturants speically in London.
Mohsen

and what exactly is Cos cos and Harirrah?

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rimo you sound not Arab!!! are you at all?
COS COS is the most famous north african dish... mostly in Morroco .. it is the traditional dish and it is widley used in Algeria and Tunisia as well
not sure about Lybia .,, but in Egypt is used by differnt concept... COS COS is kind of Pasta which you can eat with Vegi, Checkin or Meet .. In Egypt it is normally with sugar as weet .. this in the city but in country side thsy eat with sose... lamp..etc.. Harirah is the best and most rich soup you can evry eat in your life .. mixed with nuts and if you are in france for instance you will find millions of resturants in Paris service all these types of food.. also can be found in London but on small capacity... enjoy the food.. opps enjoy reading I mean

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mohsen1000:
Rimo you sound not Arab!!! are you at all?
COS COS is the most famous north african dish... mostly in Morroco .. it is the traditional dish and it is widley used in Algeria and Tunisia as well
not sure about Lybia .,, but in Egypt is used by differnt concept... COS COS is kind of Pasta which you can eat with Vegi, Checkin or Meet .. In Egypt it is normally with sugar as weet .. this in the city but in country side thsy eat with sose... lamp..etc.. Harirah is the best and most rich soup you can evry eat in your life .. mixed with nuts and if you are in france for instance you will find millions of resturants in Paris service all these types of food.. also can be found in London but on small capacity... enjoy the food.. opps enjoy reading I mean

Egyptian born n' bred Mohsen, this is so weird

softouch
Member # 3774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for softouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I found doing a search:

tagine; tajine
Any of various Moroccan stews featuring meat or poultry gently simmered with vegetables, olives, preserved lemons, garlic and spices like cumin, ginger, pepper, saffron and turmeric. Tagines are often served with COUSCOUS.

Lamb Tangine with Garlic, Honey and Almonds

You need:

1.5 kg leg lamb, boned, trimmed of fat and cut into 3cm. cubes
2 tablespoon oil
30g salted butter
2 Spanish onions, sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoon grated ginger
½ teaspoon cayenne ( or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon honey
50g currants, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and drained
70g almonds
½ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup coriander, chopped
250g couscous, cooked to serve

Method:

Heat 1 tablespoon oil and the butter in a large pan, and cook onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add cayenne, tumeric, cumin, ginger and meat and stir to coat meat.
Add tomato, honey and ½ cup water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
Heat remaining oil in a small pan. And cook currants and almonds over medium heat until almonds are golden. Stir half of the chopped parsley and coriander into tagine. Serve with couscous , and sprinkle with almond mixture and remaining herbs.
Serves 4.

Tangine is also the cookware used to cook the stew.

Posts: 29 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
softouch
thank you so much
going to try making it 2moro

softouch
Member # 3774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for softouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know how it turns out. It sounds wonderful.
quote:
Originally posted by gary:
softouch
thank you so much
going to try making it 2moro

Posts: 29 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CheckThisOut
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheckThisOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Moderated Forum
http://www.youregypt.com/forum/index.php

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com