EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Safety and travel tips for an Aussie woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safety and travel tips for an Aussie woman
Viking_Aussie
Member # 3999

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Viking_Aussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
I'm a 23-year-old Australian woman and I'm looking at travelling to Egypt with a tour group of 12 in October or so. I am interested in hearing any tips, recommendations or thoughts people have about travelling to Egypt safely and sensibly. The tour I'm thinking about starts at Cairo and travels to Aswan, Hurghada, Nuweiba, Luxor, Ad-Dahar and Mt Sinai.
Looking forward to reading people's replies.
Thanks,
Erika.

Posts: 5 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only danger you stand in Egypt is a romatic one

Have a wonderful trip, your tour sounds as though you will see most everything.

Drink lots of water cover up with loose clothing (floppy tops and trousers) both to protect you from the sun and the lavious glances

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Aussie
Member # 3999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viking_Aussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar,
Thank you for your advice! Do you live in Egypt? I am already in love with Egypt - I have wanted to go there since I was 6, which was when I was studying Egyptian history as part of a gifted children's class. While sadly I've forgotten a lot of the history I've never forgotten the images which imprinted themselves on my young mind! I can't wait to see all the things I read about in the flesh.
Thank you again for your reply!
Erika.

[This message has been edited by Viking_Aussie (edited 11 April 2004).]

Posts: 5 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I live here in Luxor, West Bank lovely place

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamy11
Member # 4004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamy11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear erika ,hi how r u ? first let me tell u u r warmy welcome to egypt and be sure that it will be asfe ,am male,29of age ,ex tour guid from cairo ,about what u mentioned in egypt search ,i would like first to ask ,do u have an organised tour and u have already an agent here in egypt for ur tour ? u have ur plans and programs?u have ur typed list for ur group? and the documentation required for the tourisme police for ur trip? did u booked in hotels and camps or still not? u know the place which u will visit in nuwaba ? i know a place like a paradise there ..where will u stay at saint cthrine ..in the monesrty or u wanna me suggest a place for ..lovely and cheap? u know how will u climbe moses mountain and what will u gonna take with u till the hight or not ..any way dear if u wanna my help keep in touch with me my email is omda_auf@hotmail.com
Posts: 17 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamy11
Member # 4004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamy11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear erika ,hi how r u ? first let me tell u u r warmy welcome to egypt and be sure that it will be asfe ,am male,29of age ,ex tour guid from cairo ,about what u mentioned in egypt search ,i would like first to ask ,do u have an organised tour and u have already an agent here in egypt for ur tour ? u have ur plans and programs?u have ur typed list for ur group? and the documentation required for the tourisme police for ur trip? did u booked in hotels and camps or still not? u know the place which u will visit in nuwaba ? i know a place like a paradise there ..where will u stay at saint cthrine ..in the monesrty or u wanna me suggest a place for ..lovely and cheap? u know how will u climbe moses mountain and what will u gonna take with u till the hight or not ..any way dear if u wanna my help keep in touch with me my email is omda_auf@hotmail.com
Posts: 17 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Aussie
Member # 3999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viking_Aussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, Dreamy11 - thank you for replying. I do have an organised tour, and a full itinerary for the time I will be in Egypt. I am really looking forward to finding out a bit more about this amazing country, but I will probably ask more detailed questions after I have actually booked the trip properly and know for certain that I will be going.

What is the temperature like in Egypt in October?

Erika.

quote:
Originally posted by dreamy11:

Viking_Aussie
Member # 3999

Rate Member
I can't wait to see Luxor....
Are you British, Akshar, or Egyptian? Or something else entirely? What is the general feeling like toward Aussies in Egypt?

Erika.

quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Yes I live here in Luxor, West Bank lovely place

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Aussie:
I can't wait to see Luxor....
Are you British, Akshar, or Egyptian? Or something else entirely? What is the general feeling like toward Aussies in Egypt?

Erika.

I am British by origin but Egyptian people have a warm and friendly attitude to all nationalities (ehich increases the more money you spend ). They are very politically aware but intelligent enough to know that the aversage visitor to their country does not personally reflect the policies of their government so they welccome Americans as much as any one else.

People who express any empathy or knowledge about their problems are much liked and respected.

------------------

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October is by far, IMHO, the best month of the year to come to Egypt. The temperature in Cairo is in the low 80's usually, and even the Red Sea and Upper Egypt areas are not too hot by October. I'm sure you will have an extraordinary time. ENJOY!

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viking_AussieThere are no positive/negative feelings towards Aussies in Egypt. Politically speaking, few Egyptians know Australia dispatched troops to Iraq. Foreigners, including Americans, enjoy good treatment and warm reception in Egypt.
The general perception is that Australia is sort of European country, and Australians are regarded as Europeans. The most famous thing about Australia is its recognition as an immigration destination. Thus beware of people approaching you for that purpose.
I hope you’d have time to visit my site to get to know more about Egypt.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Aussie
Member # 3999

Rate Member
Debbie,
Thank you for your feedback on the temperature in October. I figured it would be a nice month for travelling to Egypt! Temperatures sound beautiful.....

Akshar,
I'm glad to hear that Aussies are well-received. It's hard to know sometimes whether different nationalities will be warm depending on where you come from. I know that when my younger sister travelled to China, she used to wear a badge which said I Am Not American, and found that her reception was greatly improved that way! Sad but true.

Raymon,
Thank you also for your input. I will definitely visit your site, and have bookmarked it to make sure I don't miss it.

Erika.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your sister still has that badge, could you ask her to send it to GWB for us? I think he could use it.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AussieRalph
Member # 4516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AussieRalph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Aussie:
I know that when my younger sister travelled to China, she used to wear a badge which said I Am Not American, and found that her reception was greatly improved that way! Sad but true.
[/B]

I remember seeing this web site in the newspaper some time ago www.iamnotamerican.com so I took a peek after seeing your post. It's still up there and has a bunch of designs and languages, including Arabic. In case you couldn't figure it from the domain name, they say "I Am Not American". Certainly could come in handy in Egypt. :-)

Other than that, the other tips you received were right on the money. Most important I think, is listening to the news to hear of any possible disturbances. Certainly steer clear of any sort of demonstrations if they occur.

Enjoy your trip. You'll have fun.

Posts: 1 | From: Seattle WA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In case you couldn't figure it from the domain name, they say "I Am Not American". Certainly could come in handy in Egypt. :-)

Actually, I, an American, just got back from Egypt, and was told many times that Egyptians prefer the American tourists to Europeans. They said we're friendlier. But of course, they may be telling the same thing to the Europeans!

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are - and to the Japanese !!

It's business

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com