EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Luxor Pictures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luxor Pictures
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone. Just to let you know we have updated our web site to include pictures of our stay in luxor March 2004. Enjoy.
http://www.geocities.com/wwwwphil

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved looking at your photo album!

esp. liked the way the next photo appears across the screen.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did take the shot of Deir E-Medina? Did you have to climb up the opposite hill to take that shot?
It is marvelous shot …. I actually wanted to take similar image but couldn’t. You may find my image at: http://www.youregypt.com/eguide/destinations/upperegypt/luxor/deirelmedineh/

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mehrdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi phil, teresa,
Your pictures are very interesting! Especially the ones with the locals.
I am going to visit Egypt in May and plan to visit Luxor, and Aswan as well. Since you have been there in March I am wondering if you know of some good resources such as good and trusted guides, hotels, or restaurants to share with me.
I plan to travel by a Taxi from Aswan to Luxor but I am not sure how practical it would be since it has to be done in a police convoy. Do you have any info on this? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mehrdad

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All. Were so pleased you have enjoyed our pictures. Raymon, The picture at Deir Al-Medina was taken from just outside the Tomb of Peshedu. If you want a copy for your website please take one. If you could put a credit to us by the picture that would be great. Mehrdad if you would like to e mail us at philandteresa123@hotmail.com we have a prepared text of Hotels and transport we have used in Egypt and would recommend to you, also a couple of places and people to avoid get a mention.
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mehrdad
There is no problem using the convoy to travel from Aswan to Luxor, but by far the easiest way is to use the train. They are clean and reasonably comfortable, usually on time, and it takes just 3 hours. Taxis are fine, but the train would be more comfortable. Its not expensive either, 2nd class last time I used the train was just 19LE each way, but that was a while back now, and it will probably have gone up a little.
As for hotels and restaurants, it all depends on what you are looking for, do you want 5star or more towards the budget end of the market. There are huge differences in price depending on the standards and extras you want. Restaurants are plentiful, and I could recommend quite a few, but again, depending on how "local" you want to be. Taxis around Luxor are cheap enough, bargain BEFORE you get in and make sure the price is clearly agreed. A taxi to take you around the West Bank can be arranged in Luxor itself, and the driver will either stay with you all day, or he will pop off and pick up other business while you are seeing the sights, returning for you at the time you state. As for guides, are you looking for an egyptologist to take you around? or do you just want someone to drive you and give you a little information on what you are seeing. Lonely Planet and Rough Guide are excellent pocket guides for finding your way around the sites if you want to go it alone.
There are plenty of us on here who would be happy to help you if you can give us a bit more detail about what sort of things you want.
In any event, I hope you have a wonderful holiday in Luxor. Its my personal favourite place in the whole world.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mehrdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply Shareen. I am glad to hear that Lonly Planet is a good reference since I have already read it.
Regarding my trip from Luxor to Aswan, since I want to visit kom Omombo, Edfu and Esna on my way from Aswan to Luxor, it seems to me that train would not be a good choice otherwise as you said it is the easiest way.
As for the guide I need an Egyptologist and would like to know what is the average cost to hire one and how can I make sure he is a good one?
Accomodation is also another subject. I have checked some of the 5 star hotels over the internet and found them quite affordable.
$40 a night for douoble occupancy. It would be good to know where would be more convenient to stay, west bank or east? Close to city centre or close to the sights?
Thanks again for your reply.

Best,
Mehrdad

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mehrdad:
Thanks for your reply Shareen. I am glad to hear that Lonly Planet is a good reference since I have already read it.
Regarding my trip from Luxor to Aswan, since I want to visit kom Omombo, Edfu and Esna on my way from Aswan to Luxor, it seems to me that train would not be a good choice otherwise as you said it is the easiest way.
As for the guide I need an Egyptologist and would like to know what is the average cost to hire one and how can I make sure he is a good one?
Accomodation is also another subject. I have checked some of the 5 star hotels over the internet and found them quite affordable.
$40 a night for douoble occupancy. It would be good to know where would be more convenient to stay, west bank or east? Close to city centre or close to the sights?
Thanks again for your reply.

Best,
Mehrdad

Yes you need to go by convoy to visit those sites and they are worth while. But I really wouldn't bother with a guide

1) It would be very expensive for that journey and honestly all they do is repeat what is in the guide books.
2) If you are going in the convoy then you will all being arriving and leaving the site together so all you have to do is latch on to the group with the best sounding guide and get it for free.

All you need is a car and driver, prices vary enourmously, we do that service and if you want me to quote you I will, send me an email jane@flatsinluxor.co.uk. Travelling alone you will pay much more than the tourists in the big groups.

When you talk about West v East is that in Luxor or Aswan?

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mehrdad
Have you the time to take a cruise from Aswan to Luxor? It takes 3 or 4 days, and they stop off at all the places you mention. Its very relaxing and a wonderful way to see the sights. You are also accommpanied by a qualified egyptologist who will guide you around the sites you visit. Naturally it all depends if you want to spend that amount of time getting from Aswan to Luxor.
Personally, in Luxor, I like the East Bank hotels. There is only one 5star hotel on the West Bank and i have no idea how you can book it. Maybe you could find it on the internet, it is El Mounira. All the others are East Bank, I would recommend the Sonesta St George or the Meridien, both close enough to the centre to make it easy to get around, but far enough away to be quieter. Avoid the Hilton as its way out of Luxor centre, as is the Movenpick. Both would require the frequent use of taxis to get around.
If you need any more help, just ask.

Regards

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Thanks for your good advices Shareen.
Regarding the criuses, the following reasons make them less atractive to me:

1- They are at least 4 days but I can do it in 3 days by land.
2- Usually cruises spend at least one night between Aswan and Luxor which there is not much to do but with my plan I will stay either in Aswan or Luxor.
3- I will pay $40-50 per night for a 5 star hotel for two, which means $25 each, and I don't think I can find a 5 star criuse with a comparable price.

I will definitly try to stay on the east bank at Luxor in one of those hotels you recomended. Thanks.
What about Aswan? Which hotels in Aswan would you recommend?

Best,
Mehrdad

Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Sorry I forgot to thank you Akshar. It was great to know that I wont need an Egyptologist!
I will send you an email to get a qoute for my trip to Aswan and Luxor.
Thanks again.

Best,
Mehrdad

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Mehrdad
The only times I have stayed in Aswan have been on the cruises and in egyptian hotels. The only hotel which I would want to stay at is the Old Cataract, but it would be extremely pricey. But there are a number of 5star hotels there, if you have your Lonely Planet, browse through that, they usually give pretty accurate descriptions.
An alternative to the cruise boats is to take a felucca from Aswan to Luxor, stopping off at the sights on the way. But thats only if you dont mind roughing it. But its a fun way to travel, and very relaxing. Prices are very negotiable, and I could find out a price if you wanted one, alternatively I am sure Akshar could quote you on that one too.
Whatever you decide have fun!!

Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Shareen,
Thanks for the info. I have asked Akshar to qoute me.

Best,
Mehrdad

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

2) If you are going in the convoy then you will all being arriving and leaving the site together so all you have to do is latch on to the group with the best sounding guide and get it for free.

[/B]

In the thread "Current Tourism" on the 28/02/2004 Akshar said "Nowadays tourists are picked up in their A/C coachs and taken direct to the sites so a huge percentage of tourist dollar is staying with the tour companies rather than going into the local economy. I am sure the government benefits from this but little trickles down to the locals." Seemingly decrying Tourists who want everything as cheeply as possible. Yet today she is saying.
"If you are going in the convoy then you will all being arriving and leaving the site together so all you have to do is latch on to the group with the best sounding guide and get it for free." Is everything not what it seems at flats in Luxor ????????? Maybee we could tell you our opinions of flats in Luxor. But unfortunatly we have been threatend by Jane with legal action if we express our opinions ???????????????? :-)

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think using a local driver and paying them direct is putting money into the local economy. Paying for an 'Egyptologist' on the other hand can be a rip off. There are very few true Egyptologists doing guiding and most guides only repeat what is in the Guide books. By giving people good advice and saving them money they can put even more in the hands of locals.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Thanks a alot Phil, Teresa. Since I decided to travel to Egypt, I have read a lot about its history, people, places etc.
Although as a tourist I would like to reduce my costs, I prefer to spend money in a way that locals can benefit the most. It is disgusting to see companies like Thomas Cook
are ripping off both tourists and Egyptians.
Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Mehrdad

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earlier today akshar said "If you are going in the convoy then you will all being arriving and leaving the site together so all you have to do is latch on to the group with the best sounding guide and get it for free." Now she is saying "I think using a local driver and paying them direct is putting money into the local economy. There are very few true Egyptologists doing guiding and most guides only repeat what is in the Guide books." Is this not self contradictory ???????????? Or is this flats in luxor failing to see reality?????????? We await replies tongues in cheeks......What is jane going to come up with next ???????????????????????

moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what your point is here, philandteresa....I agree with all the advice she's given so far, I've visited her flats and think they're finished to a very high standard with fantastic views and I'd love to stay in one of them sometime.
And I also agree with what she's saying about hiring an Egyptologist, unless you're seriously into it and want to stand there in 35C heat listening to every single detail and paying through the nose for the privilege, it's not worth it. But having your own driver to give you independence is a cost I think IS worth paying.
So what exactly are your insinuations?

Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
If you travel to the sites between Aswan and Luxor, you WILL be in convoy and you WILL be arriving at the sites en masse.
Phil and Theresa, I think you are misunderstanding what Akshar is saying. I for one would never use an organised tour paying money to a British tour company when I can arrange things myself and use local people and ensure any money I pay goes directly onto the tables of the locals, rather than increasing shareholder profits for the large companies.
Like Moll, I too am unsure as to what your responses are insinuating. Mehrdad was simply asking for help in planning a trip, and Akshar was simply giving Mehrdad the benefit of her local knowledge, just as I have done.
Akshars comments, have not in my mind been contradictory. Like me she believes in utilising local resources whenever possible. Its as simple as that.

Mehrdad, please keep asking your questions, and if we can help we will certainly do so.

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moll:

Would love to tell you. If you read our previous posting Quote "Maybee we could tell you our opinions of flats in Luxor. But unfortunatly we have been threatend by Jane with legal action if we express our opinions ???????????????? :-)" would you like to see jane's e mail to us. We could post that?

moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philand teresa:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by moll:
[b]

Would love to tell you. If you read our previous posting Quote "Maybee we could tell you our opinions of flats in Luxor. But unfortunatly we have been threatend by Jane with legal action if we express our opinions ???????????????? :-)" would you like to see jane's e mail to us. We could post that?

[/B][/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I know what your allegations are. I also know they're either completely unfounded, a matter of opinion or a personality clash.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending Jane's flats to anyone.

Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
quote:

As a matter of fact, I know what your allegations are. I also know they're either completely unfounded, a matter of opinion or a personality clash.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending Jane's flats to anyone.

I second that. I have visited Jane's flats, and I have not hesitated to book to stay there myself. July will see me comfortably ensconced in a clean, welcoming flat, with a hostess who will provide whatever I need to make my stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Phil,Teresa
I think no one can take any legal action against you if you express your opinion honestly and with a proper tone. Frredom of speech is the very first right in a democratic society.

Best,
Mehrdad

philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Dear Mehrdad. Thanks for the advice. We do of course understand that we are entitled to express our opinions. We find Janes e mail threatening us with legal action amusing to the point it makes us laugh out loud. We have friends booked to stop at Janes flats in the near future and await their report before deciding if we post the full transcript of our brief meeting with Jane.
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so you clearly have a problem with another member here and you have no qualms about airing your feelings...but at the same time you're not very helpful, are you.

i mean, ashkar and debbie are both in the tourism trade, they live there, and they provide advice here and couple of other places for free.

you've been to egypt a whooping...what is it now...3x...stayed at a few hotels, and don't hesitate to make negative remarks about other people when they're giving away free advice YOU simply can't (bcs you don't know).

TSK TSK

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
absolutely agree, expat!
moll
Member # 921

Rate Member
quote:
absolutely agree, expat!

And personally, I think it's pretty mean to come on here making insinuations about another person and their business....either come out with it so that Jane can defend herself or don't mention it at all.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seemed to me that this was a Luxor picture thread...
Oh well!

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

TSK TSK

Ok, I gather ExptinCAI,Moll and Akshar are friends , now..what does TSK TSK mean?

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never met the moll or ashgar homesick so i don't know how they can be considered "friends". i have met debbie, however. never stayed at jane's flats either. this isn't a personal thing - sorry to dissapoint you.

if you do a search, you'll see this is not the first instance this member has made these kind of snide remarks without actually coming out and saying what specifically is wrong.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com