EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » I'am going to Egypt in about 2 1/2 weeks I need tons of help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'am going to Egypt in about 2 1/2 weeks I need tons of help
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Egypt101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I'am going to be visiting Egypt in about 2 1/2 weeks and I need help on what I should wear? Where I should go? what fun things can I do? I will be living in New Cairo for about 6 months. I'am 20 year old egyptian girl. Right now I live in California so things here I Quite different=) also I want to get the internet there...How do I go about doing so? SHould I bring my own laptop or should I buy a computer there? Thanks

Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wacobaco
Member # 3640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wacobaco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eygpt202 .. (doubled number is better and more elevated..hehe) so u r Egyptian by birth only? .. u don't have a relative to give u accurate information? it didn't happen once in ur life u watch Egyptian satellite channel? Egyptian TV Serials? ..opp..no no.. don't imitate those girls in the movies or serials ..or u r lost ..hehe..if u searched ..the forum here u would find tons of answers 2 ur tons of questions ..read and enjoy ..if still have some questions (hope not tons this time)..i'll be happy 2 help.. welcome back..
Posts: 66 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt101

Welcome to Egypt...glad to help u anytime..

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone is really lucky!!!! 6 months in Egypt is great!

You will love Cairo if you like:

1- Challenges
2- Very kind and emotional people
3- Sunny days
4- Dreamy nights facing the silvery Nile
5- Egyptian food
6- International cuisine
7- Ancient Egyptian History
8- Culture
9- Sports/sporting club
10- The unbelievable sounds of the calling to prayer at fajr....(dawn)
11- Fragrant flowers/fol, yasmine, roses/even imported tulips!
12- People going out of their way to help you solve a problem
13- Church bells
14- Reality

Not necessarily in that order!!!!

People wear everything...I'm serious...conservative, hijab and ultra modern...depending where you will hang out you will know exactly what to wear...casual is very convenient.. running shoes even better...high heels and dress up at night for evenings perfect...

You can bring your laptop for sure! When you are there, I presume you are staying either with familky or friends, they will tell you everything!

You will learn arabic if you're staying with family, or friends of family.. they will make sure you leave with an Egyptian vocabulary.

Have the best time of your life in Egypt...and maybe...you will decide to stay?

If you go to Alexandria....Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, you will see ...better than California he he he.. Another taste of life!

Best regards,
Monica

QUOTE]Originally posted by Egypt101:
Hi everyone,

I'am going to be visiting Egypt in about 2 1/2 weeks and I need help on what I should wear? Where I should go? what fun things can I do? I will be living in New Cairo for about 6 months. I'am 20 year old egyptian girl. Right now I live in California so things here I Quite different=) also I want to get the internet there...How do I go about doing so? SHould I bring my own laptop or should I buy a computer there? Thanks[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 13 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello there

if you are looking for some fun,,,would be better to spend you week ends in hurghada and sharm ,,,where you can go diving ,surfing ,snorkeling and watching the stars in the huge desert .
there is great night life as well in this places

wish you lots of fun in Egypt

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
If you bring you're laptop make sure you bring it to customs in Egypt when you arrive by plane. They will mark it in you're passport and you should take it out again when you return in 6 months. Preferrably take along the ticket with the price you got when you bought it. Do so with all electronics (or other new or expensive stuff) or they will assume you are going to sell it and you have to pay taxes. In Cairo you can find anything, internetcafe's MacDonald, supermarkets, moneymachines. In summers in Egypt I listened to a radiostation from Cairo (don't know the frequency) that has radiotalkshows and announcements of things to do. What are you going to do in Egypt beside visiting family?

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also local magazines with all sorts of summeractivities in em. Especially for Cairo.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to pack a bottle of "patience" Actually, bring a couple if you have room in your luggage
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help! I'am fluent in Arabic so that is not a problem=) I just have never been there and my grandparents were pushing me on how to dress etc...so I was confused on what to buy to wear. Since I will be there so long and I dont think I will know anyone my age to hang out with is there clubs or something I can join(I'am 20) to maybe do something when I'am bored(I get bored VERY easily) or can I take a school coarse there?

quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Someone is really lucky!!!! 6 months in Egypt is great!

You will love Cairo if you like:

1- Challenges
2- Very kind and emotional people
3- Sunny days
4- Dreamy nights facing the silvery Nile
5- Egyptian food
6- International cuisine
7- Ancient Egyptian History
8- Culture
9- Sports/sporting club
10- The unbelievable sounds of the calling to prayer at fajr....(dawn)
11- Fragrant flowers/fol, yasmine, roses/even imported tulips!
12- People going out of their way to help you solve a problem
13- Church bells
14- Reality

Not necessarily in that order!!!!

People wear everything...I'm serious...conservative, hijab and ultra modern...depending where you will hang out you will know exactly what to wear...casual is very convenient.. running shoes even better...high heels and dress up at night for evenings perfect...

You can bring your laptop for sure! When you are there, I presume you are staying either with familky or friends, they will tell you everything!

You will learn arabic if you're staying with family, or friends of family.. they will make sure you leave with an Egyptian vocabulary.

Have the best time of your life in Egypt...and maybe...you will decide to stay?

If you go to Alexandria....Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, you will see ...better than California he he he.. Another taste of life!

Best regards,
Monica

QUOTE]Originally posted by Egypt101:
[b]Hi everyone,

I'am going to be visiting Egypt in about 2 1/2 weeks and I need help on what I should wear? Where I should go? what fun things can I do? I will be living in New Cairo for about 6 months. I'am 20 year old egyptian girl. Right now I live in California so things here I Quite different=) also I want to get the internet there...How do I go about doing so? SHould I bring my own laptop or should I buy a computer there? Thanks

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 13 April 2004).][/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt101,
You may bring your laptop, but you don't have to. Internet is now available in Egypt everywhere.
For clothes, as Monica says, think a bit conservative, or I would say, think as a woman in her 50s; no tight things, no revealing things particularly if you have an intention to interact much with people.
You can visit http://www.youregypt.com/eguide/genguide/ for more practical information.
And don’t worry .. just travel to Egypt and everything else would be figured out bit by bit.

My cousin, 14 years, is an American who never visited Egypt. She had the experience of getting on the tram at Alexandria and she swore not to use it again. “Why everybody has to stare at you?” She asked.
More remarks she had: chaos, dirtiness of streets, conservatism (particularly in clothing) and many squabbles happen in the streets between people.

You may find this thing strange, but once outside Egypt one misses all this mess.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there
All kinds of fashion exist in Egypt, so I guess what you wear should not be a problem, although you might get some strange gazes depending on where you are, specially if you're using public transportation like the metro subway.
Yes,there is Internet in Egypt, unlike what many stereotypers in the west think, and it's FREE . So it's easier for you to bring your laptop rather than having to get into a cyber cafe which will probably cost alot.
Talking about fun, there's absolutely nothing you can't do in Egypt. From plain siteseeing to eating in good diners and even amusement parks. Believe me you're going to love it. Almost every foreigner I know has had the greatest time of his life here.
I'm a 20 year old boy, currently a student at the American University in Cairo. If you want I can accompany you during your stay and show you around. Where in Cairo are you going to stay?

------------------

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basmalah
Member # 3783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basmalah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Egypt101!

Will you be staying with family? Or are you gonna live alone? I'm asking you this because my (Egyptian) fiancee won't let me live alone in Cairo (I'm Dutch by the way) he says it's not save for a young girl to live alone there... Im sure that lots of the ES members here will disagree with him!?

Love
Basmalah

Posts: 14 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends WHERE you live in Egypt as a single woman.

You can live in a building surrounded by nice Egyptian people, that will protect you by the way. They will act as family. Or even better, you can live in a house with a family. Check the AUC (American University of Cairo) they have these advertisements for exchange students, maybe you can get some information in that regard. Also, check with your Embassy in Cairo they may be able to guide you on the right places to live as a single woman.

Your fiancé seems very nice, he wants you to be safe that's all! It is the Egyptian way: men are protective of their loved ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Basmalah:
Hi Egypt101!

Will you be staying with family? Or are you gonna live alone? I'm asking you this because my (Egyptian) fiancee won't let me live alone in Cairo (I'm Dutch by the way) he says it's not save for a young girl to live alone there... Im sure that lots of the ES members here will disagree with him!?

Love
Basmalah

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 14 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egypt101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replys I will be travling with 2 family members that are very protective of me so that is not a problem I will not be alone. I will be living in New Cairo I believe near Al Rehab? not sure what it's called. I'am really just going to visit but since i'am there for so long I want to go to school or join something. How can I enter school there? is it possible? Thanks for being so helpful=) Also anything you suggest I bring with me that I might need in Egypt?

Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
I payed 5 Egyption pounds for an hour on the internet in Hurreyastreet Alex, that is not expensive I guess (I know my dh compares to an Egypt income as I do on a western income)

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al-Rehab is a nice place, but it's located quite far out in the outskirts of the city. Transportation is gonna be quite exhausting for you if you need to go downtown where most of the action takes place or to other famous areas.

If you're looking for some educational program to join, my university offers some interesting courses in computers, business, and language for outsiders. There schedules will probably fit you, and since it is an american university you won't have any trouble coping. Would you be interested?

------------------

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Hi,

Yes, I would be interested is there a website or something I can see? I woulden't mind taking language or something like that. Thanks=)

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The website is www.aucegypt.edu/cace
You'll find most of the information you need there.
I'm willing to help anytime.

------------------

Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Thanks for the site your a great help=) By any chance do you know around how much these classes run? Also, do you know any where else/or anything else I can do/attend to meet people my age? Thank you!
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
The fees depend on the courses you're planning to take. How much are you willing to pay? They most probably won't exceed $1000. Is that good enough for you?

I don't know about any other clubs or organizations targeting young people our age, there probably aren't any (I'm trying to form one myself at the moment). I'm still offering to show you around during your stay, and maybe meet my friends if you're keen on meeting people of the same age. How about that? Just ask me for my contacts if you're interested.

------------------

Basmalah
Member # 3783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basmalah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Monica for your reply! Yes my fiancé is very nice :-)(ofcourse) And i appreciate his protection.. but sometimes it's a bit to much for a girl from Holland (is there any country more free in everything than ours?). I think that even though he says it's not completely safe to live in Cairo.. It's probably 10.000 times safer than living in Amsterdam :-)))

Basmalah

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Monica:

It depends WHERE you live in Egypt as a single woman.
You can live in a building surrounded by nice Egyptian people, that will protect you by the way. They will act as family. Or even better, you can live in a house with a family. Check the AUC (American University of Cairo) they have these advertisements for exchange students, maybe you can get some information in that regard. Also, check with your Embassy in Cairo they may be able to guide you on the right places to live as a single woman.

Your fianc§Û seems very nice, he wants you to be safe that's all! It is the Egyptian way: men are protective of their loved ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Basmalah (edited 15 April 2004).]

Posts: 14 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Egypt101!

Love
Basmalah

I think maybe he prefers you don't live alone, but for different reasons and you should talk to him. He may have been talking about your reputation, not your physical safety.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by the way

till now , u didn't mention why u will u be n cairo? it will help much to know because it will give us clues here to guide u in your stay here, for example , how u can find folks in ur age, also how u can spend time.

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Just vacation.
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try to bulid up some sort of friendship here, and especially to those whom u can trust and i guess they will be of great help to u , rather than getting here by yourself. this will push u large steps to achieve what u want whatever what u want is.

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egypt101
Member # 4007

Rate Member
Hi=) lol I dont want anything...I'am just going on vacation just like anyone else...So wanted to get any tips I can get....
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sounds easy, ok , lets put it this way , ask for the tips and i can show u the way ,

------------------
BoBBoSS

A.Tarek
Member # 4134

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.Tarek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there,
first of all i am sure u r excited about your visit to egypt and i am sure insha'a ALLAH you will enjoy it,though i recommend that u make it a bit diffrent than staying in calif or the us ,studying itself is a very good idea, and whats better and better is that you grab the opportunity and learn about islam,there are books in english if u cant read arabic,i am sure u won't regret the thought ,at least u will learn something that u cant find much resources for in calif,i recommend u go beyond the line of hanging out and clubs which is already available a lot in calif,dont worry about the people here they are all so helpful,as for the pc thing i recommend u get ur own laptop cause where u will stay in new cairo internet cafes arent really available, from what u say i believe u shall be staying at either arabela or katmaya heights they both have golf coarses and i am sure u will enjoy the view,in case u need info and books for free abt islam in english pls let me know

Posts: 2 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For Egyptian girls / women it is practically unthinkable to live alone, that's why he might not want you to do so. But Cairo is a very safe city (yes, definitely safer than Amsterdam), and if you should decide to live on your own there's no need to fear for your physical safety.

Also - you can always live with a roommate. That way he might not feel the need to worry about your reputation.

I live alone and I know lots of foreigner women who do, none has ever encountered any problems.

For how long do you want to stay in Cairo?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com