EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Plan to visit Egypt from Canada, need some help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan to visit Egypt from Canada, need some help
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mehrdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I am going to visit Egypt in May and I haven't arranged any tour in advance because they seemed very expensive! I plan to visit Aswan, Abu Simble, Luxor, and obviously Cairo on my own. I would like to arrange local tours when I get to each city.
I am not worried about Cairo and am pretty sure that I can find a lot of local agencies that offer local tours. I plan to fly to Abu Simble and Aswan and then take a land tour from Aswan to Luxor to visit Kom Ombo, Edfu, and Esna and I have heard that I have to travel in convoy. Would it be possible to travel easily between Aswan and Luxor by taxi with a few stops at the temples?
Since I have not arranged any tour in advance, would I be able to arrange any in Aswan or Luxor?

I appreciate any info.

Best,
Mehrdad

[This message has been edited by Mehrdad (edited 21 April 2004).]

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, i don't know where you're traveling from, but high-end package tours usually cost significantly less when bought abroad than trying to book the same tours locally (unless you're comparing packaged tours to backpacking). to give an example, when i booked a 5-star hotel in luxor, the room rate per night cost the same as my nile cruise from luxor-aswan. but in my nile cruise, i got accomodations, 2 meals, all transfers and guides included in the rate.

if you're from the US, chances are there's not the same kind of charter/package deals as in europe, but you end up paying for the fact that if you're traveling 1-3 people...the "group" package is..well...just you! So it's priced as VIP type of tours.

If you're looking for a small, non-touristy feel...try debbie's web site. lot of expats who live in cairo and have visitors coming (but can't show them around) use her expertise...and her rates are way lower than the regular packaged tours sold from the US

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take care because a taxi cab may take even more than you expect ...
Once you arrive into the airport, you will find some standing tour agencies representatives who look for customers ... you may try to bargain with them and see what price they can offer for guided/non-guided trips.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

If you're looking for a small, non-touristy feel...try debbie's web site. lot of expats who live in cairo and have visitors coming (but can't show them around) use her expertise...and her rates are way lower than the regular packaged tours sold from the US

Thanks Expat. Yes give my website a look-see and send me an email. We can discuss how Casual Cairo can help you, if we can.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mehrdad
Member # 4095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mehrdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot ExptinCAI, Raymon, and Debbie. Actually I've read a Lonely Planet book on Egypt and found lots of good information in it. When I compare the prices from that book with what I was offered by a few agencies, I see a big difference. For example most of 5 star Nile Cruises cost at least $200 a night per person! But a double room in a 5 star hotel in Luxor can be booked for $50.
Debbie, I will take a look at your site this weekend and will let you know.
Thanks again.

Best,
Mehrdad

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mehrdad
You can get a Nile Cruise for about the same price as a hotel if you shop around. $200 is wayyy too expensive!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Mehrdad
You can get a Nile Cruise for about the same price as a hotel if you shop around. $200 is wayyy too expensive!

Shareen, This is what the GOOD ones are going for these days. By good I mean, deluxe. Few buffet meals. You pick from a menu and the food is cooked for you, not for the crowd and kept warm on a warming table, and in general, better service.

There still are the 5* boats that advertise to be delux, but there is a distinct difference and they are about $100 per person per night. The 4* boats are probably a little less.

Tourism is back in Egypt and the days of $25 cruises are gone.... hopefully for a long long time.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol Debbie. I am afraid I work in sterling not dollars! I would be delighted if I could find a cruise for $25, but would still be happy with £25! I didnt actually say they were cheap, and I didnt say you could get a "deluxe" cruise for the price of a hotel, just a cruise for the price of a hotel.
And tourism may be up and running again, but you can get a return flight from UK to Luxor this coming week for £75 (lol sterling), its all about supply and demand.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com