EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » gifts to bring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gifts to bring
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I visit other countries, I enjoy bring trinkets, some type of small gifts, to give away that may be enjoyed. What do I bring to Egypt/Cairo? Something not usually obtainable there? Easy to pack. I am coming from USA. A friend from Cairo said, "stones." I don't get it. Stones?
Thank you. This site has been wonderful for information.

Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stones? Lol, I have no idea what your friend means. I suggest you investigate further.
A friend of mine was there with me last month, from the US, and he bought with him a cartload of Pez's for the kids. He was mobbed! They thought they were wonderful. Just an idea for the kids.
There isnt much that cant be obtained in Cairo, so it would be nice to look for something specific to your country.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small stuff and not expensive:
If your friends smoke..people in Cairo like lighters from other countries/for fun/ as well as keychains/ Tshirts representing the other country/city.

In terms of stones maybe the friend meant the semi precious stones or even beads, that are sold individually, in some 'hippie' type shops in North america that could be made into jewellery like a pendant or a ring?
The semi-precious stones are maybe expensive in Cairo if you compare.

quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
When I visit other countries, I enjoy bring trinkets, some type of small gifts, to give away that may be enjoyed. What do I bring to Egypt/Cairo? Something not usually obtainable there? Easy to pack. I am coming from USA. A friend from Cairo said, "stones." I don't get it. Stones?
Thank you. This site has been wonderful for information.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, usually other countries get a kick out of t-shirts or baseball caps that might have a USA logo, such as Florida or New York or a baseball team emblem. But I wasn't sure if "USA" was not appreciated. Thought better not to advertize it? Maybe I have been mistaken. Is "USA" OK, or NO?
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember what state you are from, but something that is more indicative of your state is what I would suggest. Do they have a specific candy they make there (Washington state is famous for Aplets and Cotlets)? Or something like that? Small packages of something like that will make nice gifts for special people.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What to bring from the USA?
Lemme think ... democracy no way ... no body will accept it.

I think T-Shirts and basketball caps with something like NYC ... Yankies ... etc, would be appreciated by the youth ... still this does not purport a US logo or name.

------------------
youregypt forum … your convenient answer to your question about Egypt

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know about men, but my mother seems to have the market cornered when it comes to women...she always stocks up on any cosmetics/pampering type of luxury lotions that always seem to be on sale at one point or another...epecially at places like wallmart, ross, etc. these are always a hit wt the ladies and they're little and never a problem wt customs people. brands such as maybeline, cover girl aren't distributed much in egypt (it's more of the european brands) so they'd be a novelty item, i think.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
OK, thanks. I live at the seashore, coast of S. Jersey. We have salt water taffy. And all kinds of touristy stuff.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about this, too ...

I want to bring something from Europe for my landlady and something small for the bauwab, but I have no idea what. Toiletries sound like a good gift for the landlady, I know she loves European stuff.

Any suggestions what I could bring for the bauwab and his wife? I don't want to put them in an embarrassing situation by bringing something that might look to "luxurious".

Maybe some typical sweets? Swiss chocolate? Something like that?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[B]Any suggestions what I could bring for the bauwab and his wife? I don't want to put them in an embarrassing situation by bringing something that might look to "luxurious".[B]

This might be totally wrong for some people, but knowing you...i think you can bring them a typical "souvenir" type of trinket of your home city -- something they can display at home...I think it's one of those things that would impress their friends. I would think they'd prefer something lasting, than something that will be quickly eaten and forgotten. But if you go for chocolates, get something in small pieces and lots of it, so they can give some away/divide bwt their kids, etc.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia, I agree with Expat on that one. A trinket or a German flag (small for a desk) would probably make the bowabs day. The fancier the better so they can use it for decor in the home, but something like that would go over BIG!
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Expt and Debbie, you gave me a great idea ... I would have never thought of that. There are tons of really nice souvenir stuff in the city where I come from. Guess where the name "Eau de Cologne" comes from?

And little cathedrals in glass bubbles with snow ... hehee

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Hi Dalhia, What is a bauwab?
Another idea that works well is scarves. Something that could be used as a shawl or table decor/covering. Often, these can be found with area logos or imprint of special area or flora/fauna.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Dalhia, What is a bauwab?
Another idea that works well is scarves. Something that could be used as a shawl or table decor/covering. Often, these can be found with area logos or imprint of special area or flora/fauna.

Oh Dalia, That is a good idea... a really tacky scarf with pictures of the Eiffel Tower or something like that, that is German on it would be PERFECT! Can you imagine their delight when they see it! I'm serious!

sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Are you making fun of scarves, Debbie? And I thought we were friends. I'll have to look for something really special for you.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Are you making fun of scarves, Debbie? And I thought we were friends. I'll have to look for something really special for you.

NOOOOOO....not making fun of the idea of scarves. They are a good idea for a gift. They are packable, and practical gifts. It's just that I was suggesting one for Dalias bowab that would be "a little fancy", and completely different from the ones she can get here in the "land of head covering", that's all.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 28 April 2004).]

sane
Member # 4163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think when your friend said stones they meant something that people could use to get stoned. Just an idea :)
Posts: 7 | From: Cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Marley is very popular and I know of tourists that have guarnateed free felucca trips for life by sending over a Kamamcian flag with Bob on it.

Those pens that have little things floating up and down, or little notebooks, hair slides.

Something for the home I agree with the others something that Westerners might feel is tacky would go down a bundle.

Posters of cute kids, pop stars, tourist attractions of other countries.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next to the inevitable chocolate and toys I made my MIL's happy with China (cheesemaking in Holland), candles that chase away the mosquitos', little purses with everything for sewing while away from home. Next time I will bring them 2 souvenirs from a shop next to the Holy Grave Church in Jerusalem I got this week from a college that brought them for me when visiting Israel. I gave them 2 beautifull black silk scarves, sewed by my mother when they became widowed (two sisters married to two brothers of whom one couple had no children of their own, so they had my DH and his sister together). For one of them I take bodylotion without perfume, cause she's allergic. My SIL loves pins and whatever you can use to put in you're hair. My dh brings them Christmas items that are available in shops here when it is Christmastimes like clocks and lighted biblical figures. I love those too so I have to remember to buy extra when I am shopping.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Speaking of "land of head covering," are there unique ways to tie a 'tarhah'?
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Speaking of "land of head covering," are there unique ways to tie a 'tarhah'?

I'm not familiar with the term tarhah, but I'm sure you mean the scarf, head covering that the Muslim women wear, right?

And the answer is YES. There are numerous ways to wear it, and I can see that fashionable women and girls must keep an eye on the fashion scene and there are probably womens talk shows and magazines dedicated to showing how to do the latest tie job. There are several shops in Cairo that sell nothing but scarves and I'm sure the sales girls in there know most of the new tricks.

As far as I know, Dalia is our resident "expert" on how to tie it. Actually, don't want to put Dalia on the spot, I'm more sort of teasing her because I want her to teach me how to do it.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Debbie. Noone actually ever taught me - it was try and error and a lot of pins. Oh, and observing the local girls of course.

But I promise I'll show you if you accompany me to the Wekalat el Balah afterwards, wearing those things of course ...

http://www.alhediya.com/milfehs.html
http://www.modernmuslima.com/hijabhow.htm

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 30 April 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com