EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Looking for Good Books on Travelling Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for Good Books on Travelling Egypt
Linnet
Member # 3911

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linnet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love reading travel journals about other peoples views and thoughts. I have read Arabia Through The Looking Glass by Jonathan Raban. An english journalists view of the Arab world. His experiences in the Arab countries are described in a delightful way and he tries to give us an inside view of the Arabs and their culture. His stay in Cairo is also described but the view he gives is now 25 years old and I would very much like to read a more up to date account?
Can anyone recommend a more recent book?

Posts: 85 | From: London England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul William Roberts' book, 'River in the Desert' is an interesting and very drole take on modern Egypt. His depiction of the package group tourist trade is quite hilarious.

Anthony Satlin(sp?) and Peter Theroux (younger brother of Paul Theroux) are other names that come to mind.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linnet
Member # 3911

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Linnet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Timbuctoo, I'll check out the library
Posts: 85 | From: London England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com