EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Clothes for Kids/Orphanages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothes for Kids/Orphanages
jenprincess1
Member # 2933

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jenprincess1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to post this so that everyone can read it:

A few months back, Wilsonkick was sending out clothing from her sister's closed Ebay business to whomever could distribute them in Egypt to children in orphanages or as needed. I accepted a package of clothing ("little" girls') here, in Kuwait. I unexpectedly got to go to Egypt (husband is Egyptian) for two weeks. I just got back to Kuwait. I loved Egypt, of course (first time)! I took pictures of the children, as I promised I would.....but took so many that I had to leave them behind, on my sister-in-law's computer, as I didn't have a way to bring them. I forgot my memory stick and her computer doesn't have a cd burner on it. I am hoping she will learn how to send them to me! I'll post them them, for all to see! This orphanage is in Helwan. I have wonderful pictures of the little girls there! The girls were thrilled with the McDonald's toys that my husband and I had collected for a few months before going and took to them too. They also loved seeing themselves on my digital camera before the batteries ran out. LOL I hope to go again. I know now what else I will take. They need toys, english books, clothes, etc. Mostly, LOVE. THANK YOU JOANNE! (AND HER SISTER, FOR DONATING THE CLOTHING)..... HOPE TO POST PICS SOON!

JENNIFER

Posts: 20 | From: Springfield, MO, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I got several packages as well and Mahmoud took them to people in the area he knew who were poor. He concentrated on home where there wasn't a mna or the man had no work. Everything was really appreciated but mostly they appreciated being remembered and thought of by this lady in England. i meant to take some photos but completely forgot about it sorry. But I can assure Wilsonkicj that everything went to good homes and it was appreciated.

If you bring anything over do remember that stuff should have sleeves and not be see through.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done for getting them out to the places that really matter in the villages jane,we get many bags of clothes all sorts and sizes the nex lot i get i will try to get them over to you so that your hubby can distribute them again as no time avaliable this end.Any opinions on the manacare or sunshine charities??????? or are you like me keep them to yourself!!!???
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsonkick
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsonkick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad between us all we have made some little children happy! only 2 1/2 months till I am there in the land and people that hold my heart!!! Joanne
Posts: 42 | From: isle of man uk | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi pearce,

excuse me for being nosey,

what is manacare?

I've been to the Sunshine orphanage and visit their website. I heard in Luxor, about 3 years ago, that there was another orphanage, less publicised.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Menacare is a wonderful clinic on the West Bank Wise Woman. They do good work with the kids, and get the mothers very involved in taking care of the kids. I havent been there, but my egyptology group support them, and I have seen lots of pics and heard lots of stories from their visits to take the money we raise for them. Last trip, they met a young girl who had been given a new leg caliper from the money we donated. She had outgrown her old one, and the family had no money for a new one. But she got her new one, and she and her family were delighted. In my view its a very worthwhile cause. Maybe one day I will get to visit them.
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Shareen

Could I ask you about your Egyptology group....... what is it and how do you get involved?

Thanks Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny...
Its a local group I belong to. We have meetings and lectures usually once a month, and as part of the main group we also have some excellent egyptologists lecturing. Lol, we have some pretty bad lectures too. We also get a quarterly magazine with news from Egypt and great little articles.

There is a website if you want to take a look. However, I dont know where you live, or if you would be in the area that the group covers.
http://www.ssae.org.uk/

The main home page is for the main society, and there are 3 smaller groups who have there own programme of events throughout the year.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pearce648
Member # 4059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pearce648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is a very good place the manacare it was set up to help children with cerebal palsey and other things they also have a clinic on the east bank which was set up before the one on the west bank i have no idea who is running it at the moment.
Posts: 17 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com