EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » laundry in hotel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: laundry in hotel
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have an idea of the cost of laundry service in hotels? It varies so much. Some countries I've been in will charge 5 dollars a shirt or slax while elsewhere may be 50 cents. If it's reasonable, it could save space on packing. I'm staying at Mena House. Thanks all.
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hotel prices are outrageous.

What a friend of mine does is speak to the maid cleaning her room and get her to do it instead.

Also you could get it taken to the local laundry and you would pay much much less.

Before I got my washing machine I was using the local luandry and a full weeks clothes washed and ironed for me and my daughter cost my husband 50LE about £5 GBP. Obviously you would pay more as a foreigner and Cairo is probably more expensive than West Bank Luxor

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about $3-6 per item, about the same as in the US, less than in the UK.

Even in Cairo, there were only a couple of places I would have trusted with my clothes. Too many places wash dry cleaning items and ruin them. And...I'm sure the place Jane uses in Luxor is nice but the neighborhood places around me...when you saw the guy in the little tiny dirty room ironing the clothes that are in piles all around... forget it!

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syb - If you guys are springing for the Mena House, then spring for them to do your laundry too, or bring more clothes. It will come back well done. One major problem with the Mena House is getting transport away from it at a resonable price and I guess you'd pay quite a bit towards the price of your laundry just by hiring the taxi to take you to the laundry man and retrieve your laundry again. And then, as both of the ladies above posted, you'll pay more because you are a foreigner (probably), AND what's worse is that the neighborhood out near the pyramids isn't exactly well known for upscale, "English spoken here" kind of service. God only knows what you'd have done to your clothes. Not that they would do anything wrong on purpose, but you never know what they might think you want done. Sticking with the proper laundry service of the hotel is safest. Also, using the help to take your laundry home could either get the help fired from their Mena House job, or could get you missing clothes in the end. I wouldn't do that either to save a few dollars on one trip.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoola
Member # 3192

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Asoola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live a stone's throw from the Mena House and I use a local dry cleaners 2 minutes away... they also do laundry, ironing and alterations, their service is excellent and I've never had a single problem - then again, I speak reasonable Arabic so we don't have communication problems! In your case (assuming that you don't speak Arabic!) I agree with Debbie that using the Mena House's laundry service will be your best and safest bet, and easier than dealing with non-English speaking cleaners - even though they would pick up and deliver your items to you at no extra charge so you wouldn't even have to leave the hotel! If it'll help you decide I'll find out the hotel's laundry charges. You can e-mail me at tuffeha@hotmail.com
Posts: 22 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we stay in the novotel in luxor when we come to egypt and the first time we used the hotel laundry service my wife was convinced they had gone out and brought new clothes ! . so nice and clean and ironed . it is a bit expensive having it down by the hotel though so any one who nows where to take it next time we are there ?
Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, this site has been so great for every silly little question I've had. But it helps. I'll just bring enough clothes. What I usually do is bring stuff I could really do without. So instead of packing for the return trip, I just leave the clothes. And the staff usually appreciate it. Besides , got a great package deal on the Mena House. Thanks again everyone.
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asoola, I'm curious, do you think the Mena House would allow some local muquagie to come in and deliver to the hotel? I don't think it would be that easy. Yes, the muquagie would have no problem providing the service, but my guess is the hotel would tell him to get out and not come back. A couple of reasons for this is that 1st, he won't be dressed appropriately for approaching the Mena House, and #2 is that it will piss off the Mena House if they are loosing that business to the locals and the locals are rubbing their face in it by delivering.
I think if you did choose to have the locals do it, you'd HAVE to go to the local for pick up and delivery.
As far as "no extra charge" goes too, you should tip the boy that delivers. It's not much extra, but it will make him happy. I get roses from mine. LOL....and big kisses thrown at me every time I give the poor kid 1 EGP. LOL

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
"dressed appropriatly"?
Oh-oh. I'm a beach bum at heart. Hope I don't get kicked out of the hotel.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
"dressed appropriatly"?

Don't worry syb... it's amazing what they allow us foreigners to get away wearing just because we are foreigners and look like we are on holiday. I've been dressed in NOT my best jeans before when I and some friends have decided to eat out and have never been asked to leave. The only restaurant that I know has a dress code for foreigners and Egyptians alike is the revolving restaurant on top of the Hyatt. They are a bit snootty up there I guess.

sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Do you think I have to wear shoes?
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 05 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is something wrong with several hotels in the Middle East about handling the laundry ... take care you don't put expensive clothes to the hotel laundry.

------------------
youregypt forum … your convenient answer to your question about Egypt

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
"dressed appropriatly"?

Now that I've met you, this comment is so funny. I hope you had a good trip and enjoyed the hotel and the horses.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com