EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Where to buy gold??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to buy gold??
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Egypt next week (whoo-hooo!!) and one of the main things I'm looking forward to is SHOPPING!! Among some of things I hope to purchase is a gold necklace with my name in Arabic. Can anyone tell me what the current price is for gold? And where should I buy it from (I understand not all that glitters...)?

Thanks!
Carleen

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Increase Peace
Member # 4312

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Increase Peace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

hey i dunno how much is the gold today but i made a present exactly like the one u wanna make 2 months ago it coasted me 260 LE which is 40 dollars .
and u can find it in khan elkhalily it's a touristic shopping area or in medan elgamea in heliopolis and i recommend the 2nd one for a cheaper price and better quality . if u need any more help don't hezitate to ask , my e.mail is samba002@hotmail.com . good luck wish u a joyful trip in egypt

Posts: 24 | From: cairo - alex | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$40 is the cheapest one I've heard of, and I'm out shopping with people all the time. I would be very wary of a cartouche that only costs $40, or compare the workmanship against others that are a bit more expensive to see if it is good enough for your needs.

Maybe IP can give you the exact name of the shop that has the $40 cartouches before you come so you know where to expect that price from.

I suggest you come expecting to pay somewhere between $60 to $100 for a cartouche and this will get you a variety to look at to compare. They are NOT all the same. If his/her shop really has one for $40, I think it must be very thin and light. That may be just what you want, but most won't be that innexpensive.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
$40 is the cheapest one I've heard of, and I'm out shopping with people all the time. I would be very wary of a cartouche that only costs $40, or compare the workmanship against others that are a bit more expensive to see if it is good enough for your needs.

Maybe IP can give you the exact name of the shop that has the $40 cartouches before you come so you know where to expect that price from.

I suggest you come expecting to pay somewhere between $60 to $100 for a cartouche and this will get you a variety to look at to compare. They are NOT all the same. If his/her shop really has one for $40, I think it must be very thin and light. That may be just what you want, but most won't be that innexpensive.

Debbie, and how about the real stuff, you know, the thick gold necklaces that look like they belonged to a mummy, or like I am Nefertiti reincarnated?

I saw some stuff like this in Sharm, the guy wantd some $250 for it, but I though the quality was poor and it had cheap-looking enamel on it, which I didn't like. Nevertheless, I still want to buy one.

If you've seen "The Mummy" series, it's something like what Ankhsunnamun was wearing.
Thanks
Lori

------------------
sandal_wood@hotmail.com

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, it's called a "cartouche"?? I didn't realize that.

But I'm not necessarily looking for cheap. I'm more concerned about it being "real"! I want to know where to buy a quality necklace.

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stallion
Member # 4079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stallion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi carleen
well i guess i can help u in that if u want 2 well i have a friend of mine his uncle has a Gold shop well i went to him last winter with my gf and he was so friendlly and a bit cheaper than other shops and he has special peaces 2 well if u r intrested ask around about prices and i will give u the adress of his shop or we can go together and u will see that he will make a discount 4 us and he has a better quality well that is if u want 2 and i guess u can go around first and cheque several places first before u buy any thing my mail if u want any other help is azab143@hotmail.com

Posts: 15 | From: cairo,maadi,egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not a cartouche. With a cartouche, your name is written in the ancient hieroglyphic symbols. But you're asking for your name to be translated and written in arabic, right?

Debbie, do you know where they make those? I've seen them all over the place in europe and in turkey, but never in cairo.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it's Arabic that I'd really like, but a cartouche would be nice as well.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that is what IP was talking about for $40 only. I guess they should be that cheap as there isn't that much gold there on those.

I'm pretty sure any shop can make one if you give them the time. What you might do also is buy a cartouhe and have them engrave your name on the back in Arabic letters. That can be really pretty....and most don't charge extra for the engraving.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
But I thought I read that if you buy gold from just anywhere, you run the risk of it being gold-plated. Not so??

Thanks for your patience with all these questions.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never heard of that (only in tijuana, mexico!). gold is a "staple" here as it's often part of the bride's wedding gift and you will see even people you would consider otherwise very poor wearing it real gold jewelry. in fact, it took me some time to realize that the 'faux' looking chunky (and sometimes a bit tacky) necklaces and bracelets women were wearing were real gold!

silver is also very reasonable here, though jewelry is not as detailed in craftsmanship as in italy or turkey for example. but vases, frames, etc are a great bargain

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 17 May 2004).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Well that's really good to hear! I wish I could remember what source I got that from...
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Give your jeweler about a week to make the necklace. This will give him time to send the finished product to the government stamping office. They will certify it is gold (18K - if it is) and stamp it for you. If you rush him, he can sell you anything, unstamped, and tell you he didn't have time to send it to the office. In that case you want to trust him completely. And the only way to do that really, is to use a jeweler that someone you do know and trust takes you to.

If you want Casual Cairo detours to help you, check out the website and feel free to make an appointment. No pressure, just an option to consider.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com