EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Day trips to see the pyramids from Luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Day trips to see the pyramids from Luxor
spanglydoo
Member # 4019

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for spanglydoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm off to Egypt next month for 2 weeks and for the first week I'll be staying in Luxor. I went to Luxor last year but didn't get the chance to go to see the Pyramids as it was so expensive ooking the trip through the Rep. I've been told that there are other ways of booking day trips once you are there. Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me as to where to find them or how to book these sort of trips.
We are also going onto the Red Sea for the second week. We will be staying in El Gouna at The Sheriton Miramar Hotel. I'd like to know if anyone has stayed there that can tell me what it's like and what sort of things there is to do whilst I'm in el Gouna.
I'd appreciate it very much.

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Spanglydoo (great user name)

There are a couple of ways to get to Cairo from Luxor if you want to go independantly. The quickest and more expensive is to book a flight through EgyptAir. They have an office near the Old Winter Palace. You can usually get a flight early in the morning and return in the evening.

The other option is to go by train, I prefer the sleeper as the journey is very long. The Sleeper train leaves Luxor at approx 8.10pm and arrives in Cairo at around 6am. Tickets can be purchased at Luxor train station. You get you own compartment to sleep two, v small but you get a little sink, two bunks and an airplane type dinner.
There are some travel companies near Egypt Air that offer day trips to Cairo inclusive of flights and a guide for the day. These are probably cheaper than going through a company like Thompsons. If you organise your own flights/trains maybe you could engage a Cairo based travel company to provide a guide. I know there are a few on here such as Debbie of Casual Cairo - maybe she can help?

I have been to El Gouna but stayed at the Movenpick although I did see the Sheraton and it is beautiful. El Gouna is a self contained resort, the only people that access it are employees, residents and tourist so it is mainly a place to chill out. El Gouna is spotlessly clean and the man made beaches have turquise blue waters. Obviously you can do diving, I also think there is a day trip to an Island not far off the coast. We hired bicycles for an afternoon and explored El Gouna which was nice. There is a lovely Marina with cafes and restaurants which is an excellent place for lunch. There is an Art Centre with local crafts and a small Aquarium which I would not recommend, expensive and all the fish were half dead. If you are on a half board basis at the Sheraton you can eat at almost all of the hotel restaurants in El Gouna so you are not restricted to just eating in the Sheraton. There is also a golf course if you are into that sort of thing.

They is a Go karting place and you can also do Quad biking in the desert. I also saw a trip advertised where you have a sunset trip into the desert and have dinner with the 'Bedouins' and some sort of Oriental entertainment. You can also do Camel riding.
Being a relatively new, manmade resort there is nothing of any historical value but this is a great place to just relax.

Hope you have a lovely time

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 26 May 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aischa
Member # 2661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aischa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi spanglydoo,
if you are staying in el gouna, you can take the bus from the bus station to cairo. there are some connections daily, one also over night.
its the best bus and also used by tourists, not only from local people.
you can also find an information desk in el gouna at the bus station.
el gouna is great, very clean, but not quite arabic. if you want to go from el gouna to hurghada, take also the bus from the same station. charge: 5 LE (for example the taxi drives want to have 70 LE! and be very inpolite). The bus is going any 20 minutes. From hurghada you can take the El-Gouna-Bus from any station or stop it.
Its the best to move from hurghada to el gouna or hurghada to down town hurghada (1 LE).
In El gouna itself you can go by waterboat to "Zeytouna beach". you will find there a diving center with very normal prices, from where you can also make trips for snorkeling o.a.e. (greeting from me). A horse riding to the desert you can also take from there.
Give the owner my regards - he will give you a good price!

have a great holiday in egypt. If you need a flat, let me know!
from aischa with love

quote:
Originally posted by spanglydoo:
I'm off to Egypt next month for 2 weeks and for the first week I'll be staying in Luxor. I went to Luxor last year but didn't get the chance to go to see the Pyramids as it was so expensive ooking the trip through the Rep. I've been told that there are other ways of booking day trips once you are there. Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me as to where to find them or how to book these sort of trips.
We are also going onto the Red Sea for the second week. We will be staying in El Gouna at The Sheriton Miramar Hotel. I'd like to know if anyone has stayed there that can tell me what it's like and what sort of things there is to do whilst I'm in el Gouna.
I'd appreciate it very much.

Posts: 143 | From: Germany/Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if you are interested in arranging your own train tickets (and I can help with that some) I could meet you at the train station and we could do a tour all day long until the train that night leaves, or I can help you get a hotel room for the night so you can enjoy things at a slightly slower pace. Contact me at Dds71@aol.com if you'd like to talk more about this option.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com