EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » advice on marriage law

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: advice on marriage law
shysinai
Member # 4420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shysinai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks. hope u can help me with advice or where i can obtain information on muslim family law.

I am british, once married but things didnt work so am cautious now. I am living in egypt with egyptian man for 9 months (orfi) and he wants us to get married properly in mosque.

I want to protect myself (in the main for my property, assets money etc)but am really struggling to find information or even a lawyer experienced in muslim family law in uk or egypt. can find heaps of web sites but they are not very helpful in understanding what the law is if things do not work out. some of my brit friends think it may be 'safer' for us to marry in england (muslim wedding) but they have no real facts or experience in this matter and the egyptian friends i can confide in are christian. I am new member but know this site and am sure some of u will want to ask me why i am marrying if i am insecure, and so on. please all i will say is i do not want to share private details of my past on a public forum. what i really need is advice or direction on the law. i so hope u can help

Posts: 1 | From: sharm el sheikh | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people on this site are well meaning but there legal knowledge is confined to viewing reruns of LA Law.

I suggest you go to the British Embassy website and there you will find a list of embassy approved lawyers. This has the be your sfaest and most official source of advice.

The very best to you and I hope your marriage will be happy.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sameem
Member # 4422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sameem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shysinai, legally in Egypt, Marriage is a contract. So you can put any conditions in this contract and they will be enforced. If you do not write any condition, you will get the default marriage contract. This default contract could be inconvenience to you and you may have some problems. The worst is, you can't travel out of Egypt without your husband permission.
Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear shysinai

I am not a lawyer but I can give you some sound points that you can follow up with a Uk and Egyptian Lawyer.

1) As a British citizen you cannot get properly married in a mosque. The only place you can be legally married is at the ministry of justice in Cairo. If you then wish to follow this up with a ceremony at a mosque that is up to you but most Egyptians do not get married in the mosque.

2)As you have been married before you will need to get your divorce certificate legalised in the UK which means it must have been signed by a circuit judge first before taking it to London to the the Legalisation offfice. Full info is on the British Embassy web site regarding this.

3) If you decide to get legally married then your marriage will be recognised in the UK and could then be subject to UK property laws. You would be wise to make a UK prenuptial agreement that is then translated into Arabic and forms part of your marriage contract. You should seek advice of a UK lawyer as a prenupial agreement is still a grey area in UK law although most courts respect the wishes of the parties.

4) You would not have problems in Egypt regarding your assest as under Egyptian law the husband does not get any rights to his wifes assets that she has before marriage. You should double check this point with an Egyptian lawyer.

5) You could go along with what your husband wants because many sheikhs/ mazooons seem to be ignorant of the law....but you will not then be legally married and your assets will still be safe!!!

Hope this helps
Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
holo
Member # 4009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for holo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a good lawyer's email:
wshebl@hotmail.com

Posts: 63 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamar
Member # 4014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have written mail in my embassy in egypt for know law for family, they has immediately responded to me,and also sent a list of lawyers for right of family.
I believe that also you can do this to your embasy.
good luck with my heart.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com