EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » advice on luxor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: advice on luxor
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello.
I have wanted to go to Egypt since i was a child and my eldest son also loves anything to do with egypt, I always thought it would only be a dream to go to Egypt due to the troubles in the middle east but i have recently returned from a holiday in turkey where i met some people who go to Egypt every year and they had nothing but praise for the country and it's people.
I have just booked a 2 week holiday to Luxor for next year (june 1st 2005).
I know i have a year to get myself ready for this holiday but i would like some advice as i am taking my 2 sons on holiday with me and would like to be prepared for what to expect, I would like as much advice as possible on what to do /what not to do in luxor and also what is the shopping like? what sort of clothes can i buy in luxor? (typical woman! i love shopping!!)
any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks
chelle

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello.
me again
another thing i wanted to know was is it ok to wear a bikini by the hotel pool?
I wear long skirts anyway so going out in luxor should be ok?
I am blonde with blue eyes and as i travel by myself with my 2 children (single mum) men think i am an easy target for their "i want an english passport scams"!!!
I am not an easy target and i going to Luxor to visit the archaeology sites but it would be nice to do a spot of sunbathing while i am there without having any grief from any men on a mission to travel to the uk

Posts: 124 | From: england | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the hotelpool you should hve no problems but I wouldn't wear a thong version. Most of the workers in the hotels are very careful about approaching guests. Their jobs depend on their behavour. So they will only get friendly if you encourage them. If you keep your conversation to 'yes please put the umbrella here' and 'I would like and cold beer and 2 cokes' you shouldn't have any problems.

Outside the hotel it is a free for all. Dessing modestly helps as does learning a few phrases like no thank you 'La Shukran'. You might want to invent a husband back home for the duration, if your kids are mature enough to go along with that. Otherwise use your head.

Don't let the stories put you of getting to know the locals. They are warm and charming. If you go to the playground where you pay you might get talking to some Egyptian mums which is fun.

Do come over here to the West Bank, it is almost hassle free once you go past the ferry stop. The kids will love the local colour. Al Gezera Hotel has a lovely roof top resturant as does Tutankamun (but no beer there).

I live there with my 12 year old daughter and would be happy to help further. You can email me at janeREMOVE@THISflatsinluxor.co.uk

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have a wonderful time. There is so much to see. You are already aware that the men are on a mission so you will be able to deal with it. There are few hassles by the hotel swimming pools but Jane is right, you should not wear a thong. Bikinis are fine and many tourists wear them.

The locals will make a fuss of your sons and that will relieve the stress. June is hot or else I would say take them out on bikes on the west bank.

Shopping for clothes can be a bit limited but there are some wonderful gellabyas and shawls. The leather work and patchwork is also excellent and cheap. Shoes are a waste of time buying as they often fall to pieces. If you can, involve a European woman in your shopping trips (one who lives in Luxor) it will save you pounds.

Have a lovely holiday. Don't get involved and don't fall in love.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxor is lovely... if you are intereted in visiting the tombes, I can tell you something about our experience.

We found some lovely restaurants. If you wanna buy some typical things such as a Jalabia (writing will be wrong, Waterpipe etc...I know) than you can buy it in the Bazar, but you will pay much for tourist stuff, or you can go where the locals go. The tailor on westbank makes you one, not as special as the tourist shops do, but you will have a real one from better quality.

I guess you do know the other things you will meet... 'do you wanna write a letter for my frind in England?" but that's all part of the game.

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry... double posting

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 04 June 2004).]

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Propably we will be in Luxor again next month
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chelle67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou for giving a reply.
Akshar i will send you an e-mail.
I had to change i.s.p and the new modem that came had to be replaced so i have not been able to get onto the pc much this past month
I had to laugh at the advice on not wearing a thong bikini, i wouldn't like to have my bum on public display lol.
The only muslim country i have previously been to is Turkey and i know the beach resort area's are more tolerent than other places but i kept my bikini on at the hotel pool although other european women were topless with thong pants on i would not do the same as i feel it would be disrespectfull.
In Rhodes a few years ago i saw a few german men sunbathing naked on a family beach,( i think they were german, they were talking loud but i didn't go close to them to find out where they came from ), it was not a pretty sight.
luxor lover, i will fall in love with the country and not the men!!
I knew lots of arabic men and women when i lived in London and most of them were so friendly that i can see why some women can get a bit carried away, there are good and bad people in every culture.
Well Dirk, whats the weather like in June in luxor? i think i might of been a bit mad to book a holiday for june as i never realised it would be so hot?
I can't find any info on prices for kids to go to the tombes, museums etc, is it the same price for adults or do they pay half price? I am trying to sort out how much money i am going to need to bring with me?
Is it better to bring cash, travelers cheques or my cash point card?
enough questions for now! it has been raining non stop for 3 days now and i have a small river flowing on the road outside my house so i am off to "swim" to tesco's, I bet you ex-pats don't miss the great british summer

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defiantely don't miss the weather lol

Kids prices are half that of adults. Under 6 don't pay and over 14 need International Student Card in order to get discount.

Look forward to the email

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
thanks, i have just sent you an e-mail
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't fall for the man - famous last words
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
lol @ luxor lover.
I don't think my wages would stretch to getting a toyboy in Egypt, i was looking forward to getting a bit of papyrus, and some plates , with all of the things i will probably buy i won't have enough room in my suitcase for a man too,I dont like having to pay for excess baggage
I am going to luxor to see the tombs, not show my womb

scorpion
Member # 5004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk:
Luxor is lovely... if you are intereted in visiting the tombes, I can tell you something about our experience.

We found some lovely restaurants. If you wanna buy some typical things such as a Jalabia (writing will be wrong, Waterpipe etc...I know) than you can buy it in the Bazar, but you will pay much for tourist stuff, or you can go where the locals go. The tailor on westbank makes you one, not as special as the tourist shops do, but you will have a real one from better quality.

I guess you do know the other things you will meet... 'do you wanna write a letter for my frind in England?" but that's all part of the game.

hi dirk.
what is the "write a letter to my friend in uk game"?,as i got asked to do this alot.

Posts: 22 | From: southend uk | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scorpion, Write a letter or read a letter is a sting to get you into their shops and they will not let you out again until you buy something, I don't answer them or say I do not read english or writ english works every time lol
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is fun to go and write the letter sometimes, i always get an ice cold coke for my trouble lol! Never bought anything yet though! I could probably sell them some papyrus!
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I wrote a letter too! Only I wasn't asked to buy anything - he wanted a KISS! So I pretended that I was writing to his girlfriend that he was a creep.

Needless to say (I hope), he didn't get the kiss. I did get some hibiscus tea though!

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meritaten
Member # 4573

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Meritaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chelle
Just wondered where you will be staying as I will be going that time next year and hopefully taking our new addition to meet everyone!!
Me and my mum go on our own as my hubbie doesn't like it so if you need some adult company then you are welcome to join us for a coffee!
Best wishes
Vici

Posts: 6 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpion
Member # 5004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
It is fun to go and write the letter sometimes, i always get an ice cold coke for my trouble lol! Never bought anything yet though! I could probably sell them some papyrus!

Hi Shareen.
i always got some egyptian mint tea,very refreshing too,i bought some home with me,somehow it doe not taste the same

Posts: 22 | From: southend uk | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
thanks vici
We are booked to stay at the mercure coralia (etap).

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scorpion:
Hi Shareen.
i always got some egyptian mint tea,very refreshing too,i bought some home with me,somehow it doe not taste the same

I love the tea, and yes you are right, it never tastes the same at home. I have my El Arosa... and my little kettle thing on the stove, so I guess it must be the water, lol, treated water, not Nile water!

Carleen...... did you try the hibiscus teabags? I brought a box of them home with me and they taste just like the real thing. Lol, available in any supermarket!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meritaten
Member # 4573

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Meritaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there
Sorry its taken me so long to reply not felt so good baby is being a pain and i've got another 20 weeks yet!
That's where I always stay so I guess we can have that coffee and adult time while the kids play. Hope you like it and the etap is a lovely little hotel so you should be ok there!!

Best wishes
Vici

Posts: 6 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wills76
Member # 4427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wills76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chelle67 - We stay at the Etap every year or maybe twice we love it. Get special rates as we are friendly with general manager no nothing like that incase anyone gets the wrong idear lol and we go flight only from manchester and get picked up in a taxi at the airport.
Posts: 127 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chelle67
Member # 4442

Rate Member
you can't miss me if you see me, or hear me as i have a strong (ish) westcountry accent.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com