EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Sharm & Tips etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sharm & Tips etc
Joanne
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Me and my fiance are off to Sharm el Sheikh on 1st July , we are staying i the Creative Mexicana Resort in Ras Um Sid - does anyone know what this is like?
We want to take a trip to Cairo and Luxor does anyone know what trips are available (cheapest) and what prices?
Any tips would be helpful, what to take, where to eat/drink/travel, etc.
Also I would like to know what money is best to take £, LE or US$. Is it easy to get our visas at Sharm airport and how much?

Many thanks
Jo

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marky39
Member # 4394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marky39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you travelling from the UK? I never take much cash to Egypt, (there's a limit anyway). I just used Debit/Credit cards, and ATMs are easy to get to in Sharm (Naama), so you can easily take how much you need.

Ras Umm Sid is a taxi ride away from Naama Bay which is busier. Keep that in mind when you're returning at night!

Travelling to Cairo will either cost you 75LE for a coach ("superjet") ride (6 hours), or 1600LE for an Egyptair trip (1 hour)(at least, that's what I was quoted).

the rough exchange rate is 10~12LE to the £1. However, USD is preferred foreign currency I found.

I'm sure the others will give some other relevant info

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not be permitted to travel to Cairo IF when you arrive in Sharm you are only issued a Sinai visa. That allows you to roam the penninsula, but will not allow you over to the African side of the country. Check with your travel agent about that before you go.
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Debbie:
[B]You may not be permitted to travel to Cairo IF when you arrive in Sharm you are only issued a Sinai visa. That allows you to roam the penninsula, but will not allow you over to the African side of the country. Check with your travel agent about that before you go

Dear Joanne
Just to avoid any confusion....... when you arrive at Sharm airport your tour operator will sell you a visa its usually £10... it's just like a postage stamp.... if they don't just go to the office ( before you go thru passport contol) and they will sell you one.
This VISA allows you to travel anywhere in Egypt. The visa Debbie is refering to is just a stamp in your passport, which is free, if you were not planning to travel outside of Sinnai.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few tips on Sharm for you:-

The best food is in the old town although some of the restaurants may not appeal to you. You get to eat with the locals and it is soooooo cheap. The fish restaurants here are excellent.

The Sharm Reef Hotel in Ras Um Sid is on the point of openinging it's beach restaurant,in the evening, it is on a Peninsular overlooking the sea...it's the most wonderful location..... It's great lunch times with good food.

Taxis you should pay LE10 for trips from Naama bay to Ras Um sid, or between the old town and Naama Bay.

You MUST go down to Ras Mohamed National Park,
It's completely unspoilt the beaches are great and the underwater sea life just out of this world.

Stock up on water in the old town for LE2 per bottle ( 2litre) Hotel prices are a rip off.

All the best Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joanne
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all replies.

Which is the best currency to take? Do you really need to take your passports everywhere you go?

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Joanne:
Thanks for all replies.

Which is the best currency to take? Do you really need to take your passports everywhere you go?

Hi Joanne
Just take sterling, you will get a good rate of exchange in Naama bay( better than in UK). Our conversion to Euros would go against you at the moment. The Pound is always very strong out there. Hang onto the exchange slip they give you as you can then exchange back any unwanted money before you return.

No you do not need to carry your passport everywhere, certainly not in Sharm. But essential to take it with you if you go out of Sharm to Cairo/Luxor and also if you go to Ras mohamed National park as then they will check your passport and VISA

Penny

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com