EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » eclipse 2006

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eclipse 2006
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just read on internet that there will be a total solar eclipse on 29 March 2006 around 1230 hours local time. It said it can be seen from Libyan/Egyptian border.

There are expensive holiday/eclipse packages costings thousands of pounds on sale already - all quoting "space is limited - book soon".

Being someone who buys last minute deals from ITV teletext, I dont think I'll be booking one of them.

One of the tours is taking eclipse tourists to the "seaside town of Sallum"

I do know Luxor and Cairo are not near Libyan border but I was wondering if the eclipse would be seen from either.
Cairo and Luxor are all I can afford.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wise_woman:
I have just read on internet that there will be a total solar eclipse on 29 March 2006 around 1230 hours local time. It said it can be seen from Libyan/Egyptian border.

There are expensive holiday/eclipse packages costings thousands of pounds on sale already - all quoting "space is limited - book soon".

Being someone who buys last minute deals from ITV teletext, I dont think I'll be booking one of them.

One of the tours is taking eclipse tourists to the "seaside town of Sallum"

I do know Luxor and Cairo are not near Libyan border but I was wondering if the eclipse would be seen from either.
Cairo and Luxor are all I can afford.

Well you can take a bus to Salloom from Cairo the day of the eclipse and just watch it from there. That would cost you under LE 50! I am not sure but I guess eclipses are only partial except for very narrow trajectories, the last time (was it two years ago?) we got a very visible partial when the total was in eastern Syria.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Kimo,

that gives me a step in the right direction.

I could view it from Turkey. I've only been once to Turkey and I didn't like it one bit. Cairo and Sallum it is then! Thanks.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com